ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

I like Rogers he's a lot of fun to watch but he's going to have to get a lot better on bottom if he is going to be in the national championship discussion.

I like Rogers he's a lot of fun to watch but he's going to have to get a lot better on bottom if he is going to be in the national championship discussion.
I think being at 165 will help in this area quite a bit.
The one I'm most excited to see is Weigel. If he can make some improvement in neutral he could make it far.

He will go from being an undersized 174 to one of the larger and stronger 165 most likely.

I think being at 165 will help in this area quite a bit.
The one I'm most excited to see is Weigel. If he can make some improvement in neutral he could make it far.
I followed Weigel during the tournament and he seemed to find another level. I think you have a good one there.

Last edited:
I just don't see John letting either one get away

Don't forget we have Keegan Moore coming in who should redshirt next year and could fill in at 84 the following year.

Some are mentioning 9 AA's next year. I can see that. There's an uncertainty with heavy, but the rest of the weights look solid. I don't see an outcome with OSU not in 1st or 2nd next year.
125: Piccininni has the potential to AA. No reason why he shouldn't.
133: Brock will come back and leave off where he was when he got hurt. It'll be interesting to see how he handles the comeback.
141: This weight returns a lot of talent. But I see no reason to say Heil is not on the bubble to repeat.
149: Collica wrestled above where he was seeded. He comes back for his senior year looking to be a finalist. Definitely an AA
157: Joe will return and will finish high IMO. He was seeded tough with a hammer in the quarters. Plus rumor is he wasn't 100%, but hey, how many were at this time of the year.
165: AD is gone, but the hope is not. Rogers/Marsteller.......someone will rise to the challenge and make AA.
174: Crutch will be back a senior and looking for a title.
184: Boyd, man he showed up. I see him placing just the same or higher.
197: Same thing for Weigel. his confidence will improve along with his offense and he'll get a lot better. He was on the cusp of making AA this year and I feel he will next year.
285: Who knows at this point.

That's a pretty good shot I would say....

Reactions: chasepollard
On FRL this morning they were talks my about rankings next year without the seniors. Got me thinking about OSU in the rankings without seniors.
125 nick p around 10
133 brock around 8-10 maybe higher
141 Heil first
149 Collica top 4-6
157 Smith top 6
165 Rogers top 6
174 Crutchmer top 6
184 Boyd top 4
197 Weigel top 8
285 ????

That would work too, but if Marstellar sticks around, I was thinking he'd be at 74, with Rogers at 65. Smith at 84 and Moore at 97. I think Marsden will be moving to 285 now that is brother is gone.
I think rogers would go 74 and CM stays 65, he is short. Also think Moore is an 84, not sure how big he is, but thought he was similar to Reenan who could go 74.

That would work too, but if Marstellar sticks around, I was thinking he'd be at 74, with Rogers at 65. Smith at 84 and Moore at 97. I think Marsden will be moving to 285 now that is brother is gone.
I don't think Marsden ever goes 285, he always weighed 1-1.5 light at tournaments, is much smaller than Austin. I could see him at 84 before 285. I coukd be wrong, but don't see it.

I don't think Marsden ever goes 285, he always weighed 1-1.5 light at tournaments, is much smaller than Austin. I could see him at 84 before 285. I coukd be wrong, but don't see it.

Rex and Roger were talking about Marsden redshirting next year then coming back at 184 after Nolan graduates.

Andrew Marsden is not a heavy weight. Smith will never be at `84. He is a smallish 157. Chance and Chandler will vie at 165 next year. I like the idea of Marsden red-shirting and going to 184 year after next. Wheeling has a secret regarding 285 and it is a good one when he breaks the news. Our lineup next year will feature, Piccinnini, Brock,Heil, Collica,Smith, Rogers/Marsteller,Crutchmer,Boyd,Weigel and a mystery It should be a great year and while Dierenger can not be replaced either Chance or Chandler should do well. We have plenty of backup at the lower weights and two that are going to be very good are Lewallen, Moran and the incoming Sheets. I do believe Jacobe Smith will redshirt next year and take over after Crutchmer goes.

Stay tuned this summer on news of an incoming 285. Sounds like immediate AA potential. Anderson should be ready after that. .
That sounds like great news about the HWT. The Oklahoma juco HWT would be better than what we have but I don't see AA possibilities with him. It was mentioned we couldn't do worse than 2nd but my view is there will be 4 programs vying for the National championship and of course we are 1 of them especially with a good HWT. and no serious injuries to starters. I would think we are due for some luck. Jacob Smith with some good development in his redshirt year could be special but I did see Rogers be fairly dominant against him this year. Oberebo mentioned Lewellyn, does anyone know how he is doing with whatever injury he has?

So is Jacob smith a done deal. On Boo, in heard broken ankle. Wouldn't think that would be hard to recover from.

I hate starting a "next year" thread prior to the Finals of a current year, in a year we say goodbye to one of our greats and two other AAs....but man, I'm excited for next year!

125 OSU > PSU
133 OSU = PSU
141 OSU > PSU
149 OSU < PSU
157 OSU < PSU
165 OSU > PSU
174 OSU < PSU
184 OSU > PSU
197 OSU > PSU
285 OSU < PSU

That should make for a great March!

Andrew Marsden is not a heavy weight. Smith will never be at `84. He is a smallish 157. Chance and Chandler will vie at 165 next year. I like the idea of Marsden red-shirting and going to 184 year after next. Wheeling has a secret regarding 285 and it is a good one when he breaks the news. Our lineup next year will feature, Piccinnini, Brock,Heil, Collica,Smith, Rogers/Marsteller,Crutchmer,Boyd,Weigel and a mystery It should be a great year and while Dierenger can not be replaced either Chance or Chandler should do well. We have plenty of backup at the lower weights and two that are going to be very good are Lewallen, Moran and the incoming Sheets. I do believe Jacobe Smith will redshirt next year and take over after Crutchmer goes.
I think he was referring to Jacobe Smith at 184, not Joe Smith.

Reactions: cachap5327
That sounds like great news about the HWT. The Oklahoma juco HWT would be better than what we have but I don't see AA possibilities with him. It was mentioned we couldn't do worse than 2nd but my view is there will be 4 programs vying for the National championship and of course we are 1 of them especially with a good HWT. and no serious injuries to starters. I would think we are due for some luck. Jacob Smith with some good development in his redshirt year could be special but I did see Rogers be fairly dominant against him this year. Oberebo mentioned Lewellyn, does anyone know how he is doing with whatever injury he has?
Lewallen is back wrestling in the room, getting in wrestling shape. Probably see him in freestyle some time this summer.

Reactions: thompsonja
I looked at the AA's at heavyweight and did not see a one that was a true senior with no redshirt except one wrestler who is originally from Colorado.
I am going with the Z getting Mocco's sister pregnant. They were both pretty young, but the cave in Russia explains a lot of things. With this combination we will see lots of foot sweeps straight to the back!

I read that St Cloud State, who won the D2 championships has to cut 14 roster spots for next year. The have a HWT Austin Goergen who took 2nd in the championships this year who has one year of eligibility left......might be an interesting look. He could try to get a waiver to transfer without restrictions......

I looked at the AA's at heavyweight and did not see a one that was a true senior with no redshirt except one wrestler who is originally from Colorado.
I am going with the Z getting Mocco's sister pregnant. They were both pretty young, but the cave in Russia explains a lot of things. With this combination we will see lots of foot sweeps straight to the back!
The one you mention on the first paragraph is the only one I can think of. He fits the criteria, but seems very unlikely.

What sucks is log jam that is 125-157. It's a good problem to have, but I just don't see guys like Hale, Garcia, Moran, Lewallan, Hone, Magaldo, Blees etc... Kids that are good, and could go far, will be anything other than a training partner. We are stacked in the lower weight, and slim in the upper weights. OSU graduates 7 of 14 wrestlers 174 and above next year.

What sucks is log jam that is 125-157. It's a good problem to have, but I just don't see guys like Hale, Garcia, Moran, Lewallan, Hone, Magaldo, Blees etc... Kids that are good, and could go far, will be anything other than a training partner. We are stacked in the lower weight, and slim in the upper weights. OSU graduates 7 of 14 wrestlers 174 and above next year.
I can see Hone, Lewallen, Magaldo and Moran seeing relevant matches. Hone beat nebraskas starter last year, other than a one bad tournament Lewallen was one of the best in HS that opened Jeffries, Moran defeated Hone, and Magaldo at 133 would be formidable.

I hate starting a "next year" thread prior to the Finals of a current year, in a year we say goodbye to one of our greats and two other AAs....but man, I'm excited for next year!

125 OSU > PSU
133 OSU = PSU
141 OSU > PSU
149 OSU < PSU
157 OSU < PSU
165 OSU > PSU
174 OSU < PSU
184 OSU > PSU
197 OSU > PSU
285 OSU < PSU

That should make for a great March!
I think that's a fair assessment except for 125. When all is said and done next year, I think Suriano for PSU places 4th to 6th. I know Piccininni is good, but where do you perceive him to be next year? As I am sure many of you are, one of biggest joys is to see incoming guys compete over five years and see if they can progress onto the podium.

I don't think you can predict what a HS kid can do? He's elite, so AA wouldn't surprise me...but give me a kid who works out and Wrestles at the college level daily over a kid that didn't see 2 full periods all year.

I don't think you can predict what a HS kid can do? He's elite, so AA wouldn't surprise me...but give me a kid who works out and Wrestles at the college level daily over a kid that didn't see 2 full periods all year.
I agree about the high school kids...wait until they actually compete at the college level before anointing them. I think Marstellar is a perfect example. One of the highest rated kids the year before last, and has struggled at the collegiate level.

But I don't think Suriano (and Fix et al) is one of those "two full period" high school kids. He's very active over the summer, and competes against the very best in the world. There are tons of closer matches when he's competing during the summer.

Yeah, I agree with that. I guess my point is that HS kids aren't Wrestling hardly any "gimme" matches over the period of a longer than they are used to season. The kids that Wrestle all over the country and keep a collegiate type workout routine are a little different...if they can keep from suffering burnout.

It is more likely that a true freshman struggles than a true freshman exceeds. While some do Wrestle a ton of kids that are Wrestling at the next level, they aren't doing it while keeping weight manageable for an extra six weeks against the caliber of kids they face during travel tourneys with a 3 day Tourney designed to pit the best of the best against the best of the best at the end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT