141 Hone #17
149 Boo #1
157 Sheets #21
165 Wittlake #10
174 Smith #13
184 Montalvo #21
197 Geer #9
285 NR

Is Geer moving down to 184? If he can still make the cut I would think he would be standing a little higher on the podium. That would mean that Montalvo would be out, but he is a frosh. I think it would mean a lot more points at Nationals.

Last edited:
Is Geer moving down to 184? If he can still make the cut I would think he would be standing a little higher on the podium. That would mean that Montalvo would be out, but he is a frosh. I think it would mean a lot more points at Nationals.

Is placing 9th really better than 10th? OSU is about winning NCAAs not worrying about placing 6th vs 7th. There are 9 competitive guys right now, why reduce it to 8?

Wouldn't surprise me to see Geer stay at 197. It gives you 2 guys at NCAA's. I just don't either will AA at their respective weights IMO.

If Greer has a chance to get on the podium or even AA at 184 you let him drop imo. I could careless if we finish 9th instead of 10th.

5 Potential AA’s?
Picc/Boo/Wittlake/Smith/Geer

Geer has a much better chance of making the podium at 184 than Montalvo at 184 and Geer at 197 combined. Do it for Geer!

Geer has a much better chance of making the podium at 184 than Montalvo at 184 and Geer at 197 combined. Do it for Geer!
I think Geer wants to stay at 197. I think he's committed to putting on weight and being there for the season.

I trust the coaches to do what they think is right. Selfishly, I hope Geer stays at 197. We currently have one weight where we hardly even have a chance to win a dual match. Two weights like that would be brutal.

I don’t think the difference in Geer at 184 vs 197 is enough to push a developing freshman out of the lineup and create black holes at two weights.

I think Picc, Boo, Wittake, Smith, and Geer are candidates to AA

-IMO Picc and Boo are locks barring injuries, with boo having a shot to win it all.
-Wittake has a decent shot. His improvement has been an encouraging sign.
-A lot of things has to happen for Smith to AA IMO, and i mean a lot including some breaks along the way. He's got a long ways to go, but the win at Iowa State is a start.
-Geer chances will be a match by match case. Some guys he can finish, and other wrestlers he struggles to finish.

I think it is best that Geer stay at 197 for the rest of the year. I did not think that two weeks ago. However, he was a surprise AA last year at 184 and finished 7th so he is far from a lock to repeat at 184. Plus, I think Montalvo can score some points at NCAAs. He took down #7 two weeks ago and gave #4 all he wanted last week on the road after what was apparently a challenging week.

The difference between Geer at 184 and Montalvo/Geer at 184/197 is so marginal and speculative that I do not think it is worth Montalvo missing out on the invaluable experience he will get at NCAAs. He has earned the right to keep wrestling IMHO.

I think Picc, Boo, Wittake, Smith, and Geer are candidates to AA

-IMO Picc and Boo are locks barring injuries, with boo having a shot to win it all.
-Wittake has a decent shot. His improvement has been an encouraging sign.
-A lot of things has to happen for Smith to AA IMO, and i mean a lot including some breaks along the way. He's got a long ways to go, but the win at Iowa State is a start.
-Geer chances will be a match by match case. Some guys he can finish, and other wrestlers he struggles to finish.
We have had very average recruiting years the last 2. We only have a few young wrestlers that might be part of our future championships but Montalvo is 1 of them. Up to recently my picture of the future was Plott at 84 and no spot for Montalvo. If he continues to improve at 184 he should be an all American for several years and have Plott at 174 who could be a National Champion. However Montalvo needs to get much better and that is more likely to happen for him finishing the year at 84 where he can succeed. Wrestling in the conference and national tournament at 84 could really help in his development. Moving to 97 and getting overpowered won't help much in his development. Geer should eat and lift weights (this keeping his weight low at 197 so if we decide to cut him to 184 we can, seems foolish. Right now for our future Wittlake 165, Fix 133 and Montalvo seem like the best chances to contribute to a National Championship. Other possible contributors but are more questionable are G at 149, Witcraft at 133 or 141 and Balmeceda at 141 thru 157. Very sad situation for 3 years of recruiting but classes 2020 and 2021 could make up for those classes. The reason I indicate maybe Balmeceda at 157 is because I don't like the idea of Sheets wrestling another year at 157. Wyatt Sheets is a good young man who obviously works hard and is in very good shape but I think that his ceiling is to qualify for Nationals but not place. 157 has been a recruiting hole for a bunch of years and after watching some of Balmeceda's matches this year he isn't the answer unless first he actually could wrestle 7 minutes in a tough match and he jumped a couple of levels. Actually Wyatt finishing his career next year at 157 starting is probably best. My thoughts are young Mastro will take over 157 when we challenge for National Championships in the near future.

We have had very average recruiting years the last 2. We only have a few young wrestlers that might be part of our future championships but Montalvo is 1 of them. Up to recently my picture of the future was Plott at 84 and no spot for Montalvo. If he continues to improve at 184 he should be an all American for several years and have Plott at 174 who could be a National Champion. However Montalvo needs to get much better and that is more likely to happen for him finishing the year at 84 where he can succeed. Wrestling in the conference and national tournament at 84 could really help in his development. Moving to 97 and getting overpowered won't help much in his development. Geer should eat and lift weights (this keeping his weight low at 197 so if we decide to cut him to 184 we can, seems foolish. Right now for our future Wittlake 165, Fix 133 and Montalvo seem like the best chances to contribute to a National Championship. Other possible contributors but are more questionable are G at 149, Witcraft at 133 or 141 and Balmeceda at 141 thru 157. Very sad situation for 3 years of recruiting but classes 2020 and 2021 could make up for those classes. The reason I indicate maybe Balmeceda at 157 is because I don't like the idea of Sheets wrestling another year at 157. Wyatt Sheets is a good young man who obviously works hard and is in very good shape but I think that his ceiling is to qualify for Nationals but not place. 157 has been a recruiting hole for a bunch of years and after watching some of Balmeceda's matches this year he isn't the answer unless first he actually could wrestle 7 minutes in a tough match and he jumped a couple of levels. Actually Wyatt finishing his career next year at 157 starting is probably best. My thoughts are young Mastro will take over 157 when we challenge for National Championships in the near future.

Can't argue that...I was talking about this season though lol.

Even with my orange tinted glasses I think finishing in the top ten at nationals would be the best we can do this year. So to me it is not as important team wise as it is for the individual wrestlers. I have believed that Geer's only chance to repeat as an AA is at 184. I still believe that but it appears from what I am hearing on this board that Geer wants to stay at 197 and if that is the case then I say more power to him. The fact that Montalvo is improving weekly is another reason not to cut Geer to 184. I actually like both styles shown in these two wrestlers. Montalvo brings a more aggressive balls to the wall style to the mat while I look at Geer as more patient and technical in his skills. I like watching both and proud they are both OK State wrestlers.

LETS GO POKES!!!

It should be the best wrestlers choice. Being a multiple time AA is a big deal and I am sure it matters to Geer. Montalvo is getting better fast. Either way it will not be a problem.

Agree with Obe & OSUMatFan. As much as fans want team titles, wrestling is an individual sport. Geer likely has the option of dropping and challenging for 184. That said, it seems like he intends on staying at 197.

197 is WEAK, too. Geer had a rough Scuffle, but he still only lost to Laird (9th in the CR) and Beard (big time recruit for Penn State). He has a win over #14 Woodley from Oklahoma. If he can add just a little weight and continue to adjust, he can AA at 197. 5-9 in the CR (Geer is 10) were Christian Brunner (Purdue), Nathan Traxler (Stanford), Jay Aiello (Virginia), Eric Schultz (Nebraska), and Ethan Laird (Rider). You know what those guys have in common? None have ever been an All-American.

Dakota certainly is not an automatic AA at 197, but he can absolutely make it. Montalvo has shown a lot of growth as well. I was firmly on the Geer to 184 train for a while, but I'm off that now. Especially if Geer likes the idea, which he seems to, I like it as it stands.

197 is WEAK, too. Geer had a rough Scuffle, but he still only lost to Laird (9th in the CR) and Beard (big time recruit for Penn State). He has a win over #14 Woodley from Oklahoma. If he can add just a little weight and continue to adjust, he can AA at 197. 5-9 in the CR (Geer is 10) were Christian Brunner (Purdue), Nathan Traxler (Stanford), Jay Aiello (Virginia), Eric Schultz (Nebraska), and Ethan Laird (Rider). You know what those guys have in common? None have ever been an All-American.

Dakota certainly is not an automatic AA at 197, but he can absolutely make it. Montalvo has shown a lot of growth as well. I was firmly on the Geer to 184 train for a while, but I'm off that now. Especially if Geer likes the idea, which he seems to, I like it as it stands.

To me, it's less about Geer's record @ 197 and more about how he looks. I didn't think he looked all that great against Woodley & Joles and those were both wins. He seems underpowered when trying to finish shots. Plus his gas tank is less of a factor.

Could he AA @ 197? Certainly, but he's likely a high AA @ 184, maybe even a finalist. In fact, I think 184 has less returning AAs at the weight than 197 (good news for Montalvo). IMO it's Geer's call, but I don't think he's dropping.

To me, it's less about Geer's record @ 197 and more about how he looks. I didn't think he looked all that great against Woodley & Joles and those were both wins. He seems underpowered when trying to finish shots. Plus his gas tank is less of a factor.

Could he AA @ 197? Certainly, but he's likely a high AA @ 184, maybe even a finalist. In fact, I think 184 has less returning AAs at the weight than 197 (good news for Montalvo). IMO it's Geer's call, but I don't think he's dropping.

I think you're overestimating Geer's potential at 184. Obviously, Zahid is the man and you've got a young influx of talent with Bolen, Hidlay, Deprez, Assad, and Brooks (all underclassmen) to go with Lujan and Venz as AA level talent. Deprez beat Geer 10-0 last time they met (2 years ago, both have improved since).

Dakota is a better wrestler at 184 no doubt, but I think its unfair to judge his power and gas tank based on matches when he was still close to the last time he made 184. Both of those things should improve throughout the season. I wish this decision had been made in the offseason to give him more time, though. I think the version of Geer on full feed trying to get to 197 since the day after NCAAs last season would have had a better chance to AA at 197 than 184 given the competition. Even still, I think its closer than most would think.

And Montalvo's chances are greater than zero.

I should have connected my response to earlier replies about where Geer should wrestle instead I connected to the last reply which was yours. So my reply doesn't fit with yours or who knows maybe it doesn't fit anyone's.

Yeah, I think Geer might look better at 184. I'm not sure 184 is any easier though.

I should have connected my response to earlier replies about where Geer should wrestle instead I connected to the last reply which was yours. So my reply doesn't fit with yours or who knows maybe it doesn't fit anyone's.

Sometimes its the responses you don't expect are the best ones....I appreciate your reply and sharing your knowledge

I think you're overestimating Geer's potential at 184. Obviously, Zahid is the man and you've got a young influx of talent with Bolen, Hidlay, Deprez, Assad, and Brooks (all underclassmen) to go with Lujan and Venz as AA level talent. Deprez beat Geer 10-0 last time they met (2 years ago, both have improved since).

Dakota is a better wrestler at 184 no doubt, but I think its unfair to judge his power and gas tank based on matches when he was still close to the last time he made 184. Both of those things should improve throughout the season. I wish this decision had been made in the offseason to give him more time, though. I think the version of Geer on full feed trying to get to 197 since the day after NCAAs last season would have had a better chance to AA at 197 than 184 given the competition. Even still, I think its closer than most would think.

And Montalvo's chances are greater than zero.

There's no doubt I'm higher on Geer @ 184 than most on this board. If I was handicapping nationals, the only one I would favor over him is Zahid. Geer's attacks, pace, and top game work well provided he isn't out muscled. Hopefully he can add some strength before NCAA's.

All of this isn't a knock on Montalvo either. He is improving rapidly. Right now he looks like a R12 guy. AA is possible if he continues to get better.

I am seeing a lot of comments that Geer should get to choose the weight he wrestles at because he is a returning AA. I did not wrestle so I maybe I am way off on how these decisions are made, but that does not seem right to me.

Maybe after winning a few NCAA titles a guy could make that call, but one 7th place finish? This is Oklahoma State we're talking about. I think Geer has to wrestle wherever John Smith thinks will most benefit the team.

Here, I think it is a moot point because I believe Geer wants to be at 197, but I am curious if others who have been around the sport longer than me see this differently.

I am seeing a lot of comments that Geer should get to choose the weight he wrestles at because he is a returning AA. I did not wrestle so I maybe I am way off on how these decisions are made, but that does not seem right to me.

Maybe after winning a few NCAA titles a guy could make that call, but one 7th place finish? This is Oklahoma State we're talking about. I think Geer has to wrestle wherever John Smith thinks will most benefit the team.

Here, I think it is a moot point because I believe Geer wants to be at 197, but I am curious if others who have been around the sport longer than me see this differently.
I've seen plenty of guys go up or down in weight when it wasn't their preference, but they did it for the team. I don't see Coach letting an individual make a choice for himself that hurts the teams overall strength. I also think it's absurd to talk about bumping Montalvo out of the lineup. He still has a ways to go, but the kid has heart and is making huge strides. At the rate he's been improving, I'd say he has a 50% shot at AA. He'll be a no doubter over the next couple of years.

I was one of the people that posted that, so I'll respond.

First off, I have no idea. My comment was based off a few things. When Geer bumped up to 197 last year, he said the coaches discussed it with him first and asked him how he felt about it. So I'm assuming it's a discussion with the wrestler having a say? Geer also stated at the beginning of this season that he would be at 184, so that was the initial plan at least. Lastly, John said after the Scuffle that they might drop Geer to 184 because it's better to have 1 good guy at nationals than 2 OK guys (was talking about 197/184). Individual AAs are important and until a few weeks ago we were projected to only have 2 (Picc & Boo). John has also said down years hurt future recruiting.

All that said, I don't think we see any changes before nationals.

I'm sure others have a better understanding of how weights are decided.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT