ADVERTISEMENT

Flo preseason rankings

Kaid Brock will more than push Harding and I do not believe that the decision to keep Brock in redshirt has been made.
This will be a tough decision. I am in the camp that you redshirt all freshman when you can, but we are in a great position to make a run at 35. If Brock is clearly the better option than GWH can take this year to shirt. Either way it will be exciting.

Reactions: oberebo
Top returning placer gets fifth, including behind a guy that he beat convincingly at the tournament last year....yup makes sense to me.

Reactions: oberebo
Top returning placer gets fifth, including behind a guy that he beat convincingly at the tournament last year....yup makes sense to me.
Totally agree with KingkOng on this. The first poll or ranking has to be based on last year's performance and nothing else. You can not rank wrestlers based on any perceived future performance-well I guess you can but it puts the credibility of such a poll in peril.

Reactions: andegre
I will admit that I was I bit surprised, but I don't have much issue with it. Heil lost to Mecate at nationals, he split with Jack who I believe was banged up for their nationals match, he lost once or twice to Mayes last year before beating him at nationals. This weight cleared out so much with the graduation of Steiber, Port and Carter. Heil had a lot of losses last year, now he has a chance to prove what he did at the end of last year. I was a bit surprised that gulibon was ranked number 1, he hasn't proved anything at 141. In the end these rankings are just for the fans to discuss, it is up to the wrestlers to sort it out on the mat.

Reactions: andegre
The switch was turned on for Heil. Once a wrestler does well at Nationals they seem to carry that through. Beating someone in a dual is a different deal than getting it done at Nationals. This will be a close weight, but Guilibon is a head scratcher. I can see Mecate as he beat Heil in a tight match, but he later lost to Jack whom Heil beat. The grind of Nationals is more indicative than anything else.

I saw a comment that Heil beat Jack (score was 12-6) when he was beat up, but then Jack went on to beat Mecate in the 5th and 6th place match (3-0).

The first three finishers last year graduated and all three of them were significantly better than the returning wrestlers. Pretty even weight and the top 5 could be in any order.

Flo rankings are fun and I appreciate what these guys are doing for the sport.

Reactions: osu2082
Flo ranked Collica 9th in their pre season rankings at 149
I think that is fair, I believe he will finish quite a bit higher, but just going by his results last season it seems fine. Now if they threw in summer FSU results he woukd be higher. I can't wait to see him at his natural weight.

Collica will have a good chance to prove he belongs at the top in Iowa City in early November.

I watched those freestyle matches against Sorenson and Tsirtsis and Collica dominated them. Obviously that was a takedown tournament, but there really wasn't any doubt who would win those matches. I cannot see Collica getting dominated on the mat. My money would be on Collica making the finals at 157. I doubt he will have weight issues since the year before last he was at 141.

In the podcast CP does say he thinks Collica is a title contender. The odd part of the podcast was he said Collica beat Sorenson in FS this summer , then said he won't say Collica beat Tsirtsis. Does anyone remember controversy with the finals at universities?

Collica was winning 2-1 in the 2nd period when Tsirtsis got his bell rung. After injury time Collica scored 2 additional TDs to win 6-1. Collica looked like the better wrestler to me especially on his ability to finish TDs

Collica was winning 2-1 in the 2nd period when Tsirtsis got his bell rung. After injury time Collica scored 2 additional TDs to win 6-1. Collica looked like the better wrestler to me especially on his ability to finish TDs
Thanks for the reminder!

where did this Silambarasan Rajendran ranked 11th at 157 come from??? Did Chance change his name?? ;-0 I do not see him on the roster and FLO has him ranked.....head scratcher.

I was waiting to see how long until the word is out about John getting some one from over seas! Wait until you see him wrestle, a hammer.

I was just feeding the trolls, CP said Flo headquarters changed it. lol Wish CP would of waited until the pod cast to say something.

I just listened to the 141 podcast, they mentioned Rodrigues of Illinois is jumping from 141 to 165. That is a huge jump, I wonder if he grew that much or is being pushed there by the others in the room. Probably a mixture of the two. Possibly outgrew 41 and can't best Langenderfer at 49 so he jumps over Martinez to 65.

I just listened to the 141 podcast, they mentioned Rodrigues of Illinois is jumping from 141 to 165. That is a huge jump, I wonder if he grew that much or is being pushed there by the others in the room. Probably a mixture of the two. Possibly outgrew 41 and can't best Langenderfer at 49 so he jumps over Martinez to 65.
Wow, never heard of a 3 weight bump!

Reactions: OSUMatFan
I do not get these flo guys ranking guys moving up as if they were still competing at the lower weights. The decision to rank the Penn State guy #1 at 141 will soon look silly.

I do not get these flo guys ranking guys moving up as if they were still competing at the lower weights. The decision to rank the Penn State guy #1 at 141 will soon look silly.
I agree OSUMatFan. Pre-season polls should be based on past years performance at a certain weight. Of course there will be instances where a wrestler jumps up a weight and earns a #1 ranking but the key word is "earns". After a few matches Flo may be correct in some instances and wrong in others. I guess it is a difference in philosophy and J Carl and I have argued/discussed this over the years. If Flo wanted to call it "predictions" instead of rankings then I would have no quarrel with it. In the long run it simply does not matter as it will turn into rankings rather than predictions after a few weeks into the season.

To me rankings are a blend of past performances and future projections. You have to take into some human element and predictions to make it interesting and discussion worthy which I think is the whole point of FLO doing these rankings.

I think it's great as it gives wreslting fans something to cuss and discuss in the offseason!

As far as Gulibon number 1 at 141, he actually was dropped to 2 after the announcement of Henderson going 41 and not 49.
While I might not agree with all of the rankings, they are just two guys opinions in the case of Flo and are there job at for our entertainment. I love the podcasts and seeing what they think, but in the end they don't have any affect on what happens. The wrestlers will compete and the ranking will change accordingly and they guys who deserve to go to nationals will go and these ranking will have not change that. I will check them every time they are updated and I will get a good chuckle out of the people who get bent out of shape about them.

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
I love what Flo does for the sport and I am a willing Flo user. The discussions are fun and interesting, but I am glad my opinion is the correct one!
They will probably love the comments about previous rankings as they will know we are watching. That is what the sport needs.

As far as Gulibon number 1 at 141, he actually was dropped to 2 after the announcement of Henderson going 41 and not 49.
While I might not agree with all of the rankings, they are just two guys opinions in the case of Flo and are there job at for our entertainment. I love the podcasts and seeing what they think, but in the end they don't have any affect on what happens. The wrestlers will compete and the ranking will change accordingly and they guys who deserve to go to nationals will go and these ranking will have not change that. I will check them every time they are updated and I will get a good chuckle out of the people who get bent out of shape about them.
I am happy to give you a chuckle when I complain about rankings. As I indicated previously it will all sort itself out in the end. To that end a quote from Shakespeare's Macbeth is appropriate. "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing". BTW I am referring to myself as the Idiot and not the flo pros or anyone on this board. As far as Flo goes they have definitely been a positive force in wrestling and I salute them as an organization but reserve my own right to criticize them individually. To paraphrase OSUmatfan I am right and they are wrong.

All in good fun. Even the final rankings, just before NCAA's is off a good bit...and that's after an entire season of wrestling!! At the 2015 NCAA Tournament, 8 unseeded wrestlers (remember, they seeded to 16) became All-American, and another 19 wrestlers seeded from 9 to 16 became All-American. That's 34% of the All-American total of 80 that were not expected to AA by their seeding. Hard enough then, impossible before the season starts. Still, it's value imo is we start talking wrestling and get the juices flowing after a long off-season.

All in good fun. Even the final rankings, just before NCAA's is off a good bit...and that's after an entire season of wrestling!! At the 2015 NCAA Tournament, 8 unseeded wrestlers (remember, they seeded to 16) became All-American, and another 19 wrestlers seeded from 9 to 16 became All-American. That's 34% of the All-American total of 80 that were not expected to AA by their seeding. Hard enough then, impossible before the season starts. Still, it's value imo is we start talking wrestling and get the juices flowing after a long off-season.
Agree with the general jist of what you're saying but rankings and seeding are not the same. No way Flo would have made Brewer the 13th seed....

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Agree with the general jist of what you're saying but rankings and seeding are not the same. No way Flo would have made Brewer the 13th seed....
Seedings and rankings are different, but if I remember correctly Flo did have Brewer ranked 11th.

Seedings, rankings, guesses, prognostications, pecking order...whatever. Yep, they're all different, and all are fun to talk about. The same data I presented could be shown for the final "ranking" of the year...which is the "gist" of the post...so thanks for making the connection!!

P4p rankings are out, AD is number 1. Pokes ranked at 8 of ten weights. Nobody at 133 or 197, I think both will eventually earn their way into the rankngs. Not even sure who will be going 197. Two cowboys ranked number 1, AD and Crutchmer. PSU has ranked wrestlers at all 10 weights.

Reactions: osu2082
No way Brock is beating out Harding. Gary is doing everything possible to be the starter and by far the best 133 in the room. He has improved leaps and bounds from the starting of last season. Boo Lowellen has broken his ankle and will be out for 4 months. To bad because he was really coming on in the room. Chandler Rogers is going 174 and his brother Jordon going 184. Luke Bean is 184. AD is huge, and will be man handling 165 weight and would 174 if he wanted to go up. All incoming freshmen are showing why this class will be better than the year before. C Marsteller looked ready for the season and so did Ryan Bless who is going 157 too. At this stage don't know who has the edge at 184 and 197. Nick Piccinnini looked really good! He was going against D Heil and has a slick low single. Nick likes to go against the big guys and will be a force coming out next year. As for Joe Smith, already making his own name in the room. Looking for great things from this class!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT