ADVERTISEMENT

Whiskey & Bourbon Collectors/Aficionados....

I'd start with lower proof stuff. 90 proof or so. Avoid rye whiskey to start as they are a bit spicier.

Suggestions:
Buffalo Trace *
Weller Special Reserve (wheated)
Eagle Rare *
Hancock's Reserve *
Old Elk Wheated
Michter's small batch bourbon
Woodford Reserve or for more body get the double oaked.
Makers Mark
Knob Creek
Old Forester 1910

An Irish whisky would be Redbreast 12 (maybe slightly more expensive than the rest of this list but a very easy drinker)

*may be a bit more difficult to find on the shelf

I fully agree with @Ostatedchi on these more specific recs, especially Redbreast 12. Very easy drinking whiskey.

My favorite low cost and easy to find bourbon is Michter’s small batch. Woodford is probably even cheaper and easier to find, but not quite as enjoyable.

Makers Ma
Ok boys. I’ve been interested in trying whiskey for awhile, and just stumbled on this thread yesterday. Been mostly a beer/vodka cocktail girl, but neither are very enjoyable anymore. What would be a good whiskey for a beginner? I know nothing about them. I can say we were raised around Crown and the taste/smell is nauseating to me. TIA and cheers!

Bourbon: Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace
Irish: Redbreast
Rye: Michter’s

Thank you for the recs. Buffalo Trace is one that I’ve seen come up in a few articles I’ve searched about beginners whiskey. I’ll see if I can track some down before the supposed ice storm next week.

Reactions: OrangePhish
I'd start with lower proof stuff. 90 proof or so. Avoid rye whiskey to start as they are a bit spicier.

Suggestions:
Buffalo Trace *
Weller Special Reserve (wheated)
Eagle Rare *
Hancock's Reserve *
Old Elk Wheated
Michter's small batch bourbon
Woodford Reserve or for more body get the double oaked.
Makers Mark
Knob Creek
Old Forester 1910

An Irish whisky would be Redbreast 12 (maybe slightly more expensive than the rest of this list but a very easy drinker)

*may be a bit more difficult to find on the shelf
Good list put together by @Ostatedchi . I'd recommend the Buffalo Trace or Michter's or Redbreast as three good sipping whiskey's. Really like Eagle Rare but awfully hard to find. I'd like to add Rabbit Hole Dareringer to the list - it's my new favorite and typically not hard to find. Very smooth, IMO. Be careful with the Old Forester - good whiskey, but the 1920 looks a lot like the 1910, except the 1920 is typically around 120 proof - it will make you speak with a strange accent :)

Another wheated whiskey that I like and is low proof is Larceny. It should be available most places.

I will also second everything on @Ostatedchi list. With extra emphasis on the Old Forrester 1910. One of my favorites. Though I usually drink 1920 for the higher proof. 1910 is just as good and a little easier to sip for newbies. Pretty much what @Poke_Dawg was saying.

AMWts8BCVnOfADUcYcFgwCYGpWllx5gF-xHwv5NIxWESGqvM9s6JWXEoCoifG69L3N9e3EO_2-3iraYkUWa_CLnn7iLD2UDTzPZtGnogYBK8VHaRngsJ9U5dZ2jiCs5K-keH9yyncZqaYtc55o2ms8QDO0Sn=w1487-h1982-s-no

Anyone know of a bourbon group in Oklahoma or more specifically in OKC, that doesn't use Facebook? I just tried to join the Facebook group but they don't like my empty profile. The profile that I only created to join that group since I can't stand Facebook and I don't have a profile. I don't want any friends or family to find that account.

Mostly, I'm just trying to get info on good finds in the area. I also like hearing other opinions from the whiskey community and getting the latest news on stuff that I might have missed. Primarily though, I just want to get a heads up on finding good bottles.

Just traded a MWND and 2 OWAs for a W12 and a Michter's Sour Mash toasted. Even trade or nah?

Just traded a MWND and 2 OWAs for a W12 and a Michter's Sour Mash toasted. Even trade or nah?
I have no idea if it was an even trade, but if I were you I would have done the same thing. Especially with as many bottles of OWA as it looks like you have from your pictures.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
Preface by stating the obvious...

An even (or desirable) trade is in the eye of the trader.

Did you want the W12? Then wouldn't do the post-mortem on the x-action.

That said, here are the approx secondary values I've seen lately on Tulsa Whiskey Finder (FB Group)

OWA - $100/each
MWND - $200 (depends on chapter, could be a bit more)
W12 - $250
MSMT - $55 (maybe? don't see this traded much. seems to be pretty available on the shelf)

Math doesn't trend in your favor, but close enough if you wanted the W12 and had a surplus of OWA for trade bait.

And, finally, something arguably useful out of all the time I've spent looking at that ridiculous time suck of a FB group page.

Preface by stating the obvious...

An even (or desirable) trade is in the eye of the trader.

Did you want the W12? Then wouldn't do the post-mortem on the x-action.

That said, here are the approx secondary values I've seen lately on Tulsa Whiskey Finder (FB Group)

OWA - $100/each
MWND - $200 (depends on chapter, could be a bit more)
W12 - $250
MSMT - $55 (maybe? don't see this traded much. seems to be pretty available on the shelf)

Math doesn't trend in your favor, but close enough if you wanted the W12 and had a surplus of OWA for trade bait.

And, finally, something arguably useful out of all the time I've spent looking at that ridiculous time suck of a FB group page.
Yeah, I really wanted the W12. But I also really wanted the MToasted. I think those typically run about 150. it's not the typical sour mash. Those are easy to find with no secondary value.

I have never seen the Michters Sour Mash Toasted on a shelf (at least not in the last couple years). Lived in Florida until I recently moved to OKC. Haven’t seen it here yet. Admittedly, I have only hit two spots so far.

I did get a bottle of the normal sour mash last week. Which I’m enjoying quite a bit. Even that was $70 (I think). If I do see a toasted on the shelf, I’m definitely buying it.

Not here in Colorado. :(

Any time I see anything in the wild it is above secondary. No chance I’m paying $250 for a bottle of Blanton’s or over $100 for WSR

Got my hands on a bottle of Blanton’s in the wild today. Going to be a good weekend.
So, I went back to Parkhills this evening to grab something for my wife. And they had put out more bottles of Blanton’s. I got another one. When I was there at lunch, another guy and I had grabbed the last two bottles they had out.

Score!

So, I went back to Parkhills this evening to grab something for my wife. And they had put out more bottles of Blanton’s. I got another one. When I was there at lunch, another guy and I had grabbed the last two bottles they had out.

Score!

What were they charging? Just curious what prices people are finding these bottles at.

What were they charging? Just curious what prices people are finding these bottles at.
$90. Too high IMO, but I hadn’t seen it in a long time. I’m not going to stand in some line at 8 AM at a liquor store. Most I’d previously paid was $70 or $75 but that’s was from a guy I know who had a bunch of horded bottles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ostatedchi
$90. Too high IMO, but I hadn’t seen it in a long time. I’m not going to stand in some line at 8 AM at a liquor store. Most I’d previously paid was $70 or $75 but that’s was from a guy Innbiw who had a bunch of hordes bottles.

The last time I saw it in a store near me was before the pandemic and it was $95.

One bad thing about Colorado front range is all the hipsters willing to pay stupid money for decent bourbon

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT