ADVERTISEMENT

Whiskey & Bourbon Collectors/Aficionados....

With the recent demise of the football and basketball teams it felt like a good night for a great bourbon. Got me thinking about this thread as it’s where I read about Redbreast 12 and it’s become my all time favorite. But tonight I decided to try Rabbit Hole Heigold. So far very impressed. Anyone tried it?
I have. It is a good sipping whiskey.

You can add a new bottle to my collection. Got it in the Main Board secret Santa
AL9nZEWWJ48UkZMgAO1ZJ72xPv-EXdbBFLVZ4tfYztB62YqAmCudRt0cA_X3Yp3dX814HQ6lumC6T4rMddfsscgyglB7cJNCMRa7aPAJcZ4GJgMXK5Y_ozSeOTjIHSNyMXXyGORWis9gMyBFDWYi0W3vKgIE=w1481-h1971-no

Byron’s had their drop last Saturday. You couldn’t get near the parking lot. I don’t even know what they had.

I'm getting the Sagamore Spirit Sherry Finish from Santa. Would also love to get the 8 year old, even though it's Indiana whiskey.
I have heard good things about the Sagamore Sherry Finish. I have come super close to picking it up on several occasions the last couple of weeks. I just had too many other bottles on the way. At a time when I'm supposed to be reducing bottles since we are in the process of packing up our house to move. I'm not sure how hard it is to get in Oklahoma. If it is easy, then I won't worry about it until after we move.

Reactions: Marocain Poke
I have heard good things about the Sagamore Sherry Finish. I have come super close to picking it up on several occasions the last couple of weeks. I just had too many other bottles on the way. At a time when I'm supposed to be reducing bottles since we are in the process of packing up our house to move. I'm not sure how hard it is to get in Oklahoma. If it is easy, then I won't worry about it until after we move.
Good luck on the move!

Byron’s had their drop last Saturday. You couldn’t get near the parking lot. I don’t even know what they had.
They had some really hard to find stuff but you have to be like one of the first 40 or 50 people in line to get it. I went at 11, waited about 10 minutes and got some Blanton's and Larceny Barrel Proof.

They had some really hard to find stuff but you have to be like one of the first 40 or 50 people in line to get it. I went at 11, waited about 10 minutes and got some Blanton's and Larceny Barrel Proof.
Totally unsurprising that you are more patient than I am lol

• Haha
Reactions: Air_Thurman
Totally unsurprising that you are more patient than I am lol
While I might be more patient than you the line I waited in wasn't long at all. Wasn't out the door. I just showed up to get the left overs.

What is the retail price on Blanton's, if don't mind me asking. Friends of mine came across a bottle this weekend at a local package store and it was priced at $199. I told them to pass as I thought it was grossly overpriced...but I honestly don't know.

MSRP is around $65. You can get it for full secondary pricing for $110 - $120 (including shipping costs). So $200 is basically BS.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
Any of you guys had any kings county whiskeys? I got a sampling at Christmas.

Tried a few but none ever made me want to drop the coin on a bottle.
I’m excited to try them. Know next to nothing about them other than they evidently have won lots of awards. Daughter lives in Brooklyn and brought that sampler home for me.

Ok boys. I’ve been interested in trying whiskey for awhile, and just stumbled on this thread yesterday. Been mostly a beer/vodka cocktail girl, but neither are very enjoyable anymore. What would be a good whiskey for a beginner? I know nothing about them. I can say we were raised around Crown and the taste/smell is nauseating to me. TIA and cheers! 🥃

Honestly, I’d find a friend or two and head to a whiskey bar and try a bunch of stuff. Most places will gladly split a pour so you don’t get wasted or don’t spend extra on solo 1oz pours.

First step is try a variety - some scotch, some really peaty scotch, some Irish, some Japanese, some bourbon, some rye whiskey. I recommend keeping the proof lower while you sort out your interests. I generally prefer right around 100, but there are exceptions, and I’d start with whiskeys around 90.

I also recommend trying whiskey neat with water handy. You can get a feel for what ice will do by taking a drink of water right before the sip of whiskey.

Most I have talked to like to enjoy whiskey in different ways, so you likely will get several different answers.

Edit to add - not sure I’ve ever had crown so I’m not sure what will be similar and different. I would stick with options that are a bit higher quality than crown when trying things out. For bourbon and rye that would be stuff that’s in the $40-$50 range for a bottle, maybe slightly higher. For scotch, I recommend trying something in the 14-15y range which will be more expensive than the 10y-12y.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
Ok boys. I’ve been interested in trying whiskey for awhile, and just stumbled on this thread yesterday. Been mostly a beer/vodka cocktail girl, but neither are very enjoyable anymore. What would be a good whiskey for a beginner? I know nothing about them. I can say we were raised around Crown and the taste/smell is nauseating to me. TIA and cheers! 🥃
I'd start with lower proof stuff. 90 proof or so. Avoid rye whiskey to start as they are a bit spicier.

Suggestions:
Buffalo Trace *
Weller Special Reserve (wheated)
Eagle Rare *
Hancock's Reserve *
Old Elk Wheated
Michter's small batch bourbon
Woodford Reserve or for more body get the double oaked.
Makers Mark
Knob Creek
Old Forester 1910

An Irish whisky would be Redbreast 12 (maybe slightly more expensive than the rest of this list but a very easy drinker)

*may be a bit more difficult to find on the shelf

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT