ADVERTISEMENT

Whiskey & Bourbon Collectors/Aficionados....

Is bourbon like red wine were it can change with letting it breath? I know the guy at George's told me to warm up on a lesser bourbon before starting on the Barrel 16 year. He said you had to warm up your palate which I thought was interesting.

It can be in my experience. It for sure can change over extended periods once the bottle is opened.
Yes you 'warm up your palate' by taking an initial first small sip and let that shock wear off. Then on the 2nd tasting is when you get more of the complexity of the whisky.
Also, whisky being warm (at least not really cold) can also open up the aromatics and significantly change the nose.
I usually like a whiskey more and more as I drink down the 750.

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
Not only am I convinced it changes a bit after being open a week or two, most of my whiskey drinking friends are also convinced.

However, the bigger difference is going to come from what you have eaten or drank in the few hours before enjoying the juice. That’s why I almost always have a glass of cool (no ice) water handy to help ‘rinse’ my mouth a bit. In my experience it also allows me to play with the flavor of the whiskey in a similar way to those who suggest adding a drop of water to a neat pour. My method isn’t as deterministic but it also doesn’t change the entire pour.

Reactions: Marocain Poke
I've been trying to up my cocktail game lately. Whisky sour, daiquiri, martini, old fashioned, fizzes, Manhattan, etc.
I've been following a number of really cool bartenders on youtube. I came across 'super juice' and decided to make my own.

F'ing life changing if you make cocktails at home. It tastes WAY better than just squeezed limes or lemons.

Reactions: OrangePhish
Been seeing EC 18 and Evan Williams Single Barrel popping up lately in Tulsa.

18 years for a bourbon is starting to push (or exceed) the cask time before it gets a little woody but I decided to snag one. Probably won't crack it for a bit as I have some others to enjoy first.

The EW SiB is rumored to be only available in KY going forward.

To gather details on bourbons I have not yet tried, I have been consulting breakingbourbon. If there are any other noteworthy or trusted sources for online reviews, please suggest!

Man, EC18 was one of my most disappointing bottles. So pumped to luck into one and haven't loved it. Way to oaky for me taste buds.

Alright guys I have been on the ocean all day fishing I am ****ing wasted from white claws yeah I get down don’t judge me. I am cracking this seagrass but might review it tomorrow. If I make it to the draft lottery tonight I did good.

• Haha
Reactions: Ostatedchi
It was hot but it is high proof. Has a sweeter barrel taste instead of the oaky ness if that makes sense. Did seem like maybe a banana note. I liked it though and I am not a straight drinker type. The rum I have been less impressed with. Wish I had got the barrel rum also.

Great F'ing day!
AM-JKLXov5Fc-HIw2VGU9cRcDIgcQfiVChJnMEV_g0uPCWABml9LX225V1-nA62gashNZR30NTw1wpoGUTaWpTCpEkr4V_qKqtqetjaZw-kNZrZCdo6lRqs3PJgElwyaYjAXYXEdBe67MuGIzNTrUb9z-P9w=w1487-h1982-no

Currently in the cabinet - Just finished a 24 year Auchentoshan when the grandson was born and a Glenfiddich 15 tonight. I was just about to place an order for 2-3 new bottles to restock when I opened rivals for the first time in a while and saw this thread.

As you can see, more of a scotch guy.

IsnVDZP.jpg
I'm not sure where to jump into this but here are some favorites:

Smoky Black Grouse (similar to Johnny Walker Black but better IMO)
Dewars 18 year old
Glenlivet Illicit Still
Ardbeg 10 (or any other Ardbeg single malt if you can afford it)
Macallan Sherry Cask
Jameson (any)
Bushmills (any)
Bulliet
Poppy (Cabernet)
Johnny Walker Blue if you can get it for free from Jerry Jones, don't spend your own money on it

I am a total vodka guy, and never really cared for whiskey, but enjoyed a bourbon tour while in Louisville last week. Went to Peerless (DSP-KY-50) that re-opened in 2015 making their bourbon the original way pre-prohibition. I must say, I am still not a big bourbon/whiskey guy, but finally "get" the taste after the taste-testing portion of the tour. I get that this one is more of the craft variety, but it was quite good. Actually got a small bottle of their single-barrel bourbon. That bottle will last me nearly forever, but will definitely bring it out once in a while!

I am a total vodka guy, and never really cared for whiskey, but enjoyed a bourbon tour while in Louisville last week. Went to Peerless (DSP-KY-50) that re-opened in 2015 making their bourbon the original way pre-prohibition. I must say, I am still not a big bourbon/whiskey guy, but finally "get" the taste after the taste-testing portion of the tour. I get that this one is more of the craft variety, but it was quite good. Actually got a small bottle of their single-barrel bourbon. That bottle will last me nearly forever, but will definitely bring it out once in a while!
I love some Peerless barrel strength rye. Some of the best out there. A bit on the expensive side for an every day drinker. But delicious.

I love some Peerless barrel strength rye. Some of the best out there. A bit on the expensive side for an every day drinker. But delicious.
We tried their single barrel rye as well. I liked it, but could not drink that regularly!

For those that like a good Speyside Scotch that happen to live or go to an area with a Total Wine (Dallas or St. Louis look to be the closest). Go in and pick up a bottle of Shieldaig 18. I think TW has the import rights to it. Its an 18 year that can be bought for about $60 a bottle. I broke it out at a gathering last week with a lot of people that know their whisky way better than I do and I was promptly told that when I go back, to get extra bottles. Its every bit as good as other better known brands that run in the $120 range.

I have not tried their other ages, but they have a 25 year that is only $145.

• Wow
Reactions: trapped_in_tx
For those that like a good Speyside Scotch that happen to live or go to an area with a Total Wine (Dallas or St. Louis look to be the closest). Go in and pick up a bottle of Shieldaig 18. I think TW has the import rights to it. Its an 18 year that can be bought for about $60 a bottle. I broke it out at a gathering last week with a lot of people that know their whisky way better than I do and I was promptly told that when I go back, to get extra bottles. Its every bit as good as other better known brands that run in the $120 range.

I have not tried their other ages, but they have a 25 year that is only $145.

The Thornton TW near me has the 25y at $110. I gotta say… this one sounds too good to be true. 25y speyside for $110? I’m suspicious of the quality.

The Thornton TW near me has the 25y at $110. I gotta say… this one sounds too good to be true. 25y speyside for $110? I’m suspicious of the quality.

As stated, I can't speak to the 25 year. But the 18 was more than solid. I'll likely be going back to Dallas in the next month and I'm bringing back a few bottles. Now, don't get me wrong, it can not compare to a 25 year old Macallan. But it also doesn't cost $2500 like the Macallan does. Though I will say, generally I prefer 18 or less because it is so hard for the distillers to keep them tasting really good longer than that.

As stated, I can't speak to the 25 year. But the 18 was more than solid. I'll likely be going back to Dallas in the next month and I'm bringing back a few bottles. Now, don't get me wrong, it can not compare to a 25 year old Macallan. But it also doesn't cost $2500 like the Macallan does. Though I will say, generally I prefer 18 or less because it is so hard for the distillers to keep them tasting really good longer than that.

That’s fair. The nearby TW doesn’t have any stock of the 18y so that lines up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT