ADVERTISEMENT

Whiskey & Bourbon Collectors/Aficionados....

Marshal Jim Duncan

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2013
Time to get this party stared again. I went hunting some bourbon today and two of the best liquor stores in town and didn’t see a lot that caught my eye.

The last several years I drink mostly single malt and rye or Redbreast Irish. But decided Ivwas going to look for one of the Breyer moderately priced bourbon handles I remembered seeing mentioned here. Not much available other than the flagship big brands. Is there a lot of scarcity right now for more select brands or variations?

I did find a Makers Mark 101, which I personally had never seen before. I bought it. $40. Will let you know what I think.

Re MM 101: It’s good. Caramel, a little apple pie, slight vanilla. Warm in your mouth. Nice and warm after you swallow. Pretty sweet but not overly so. I haven’t drank bourbon much recently other than that the last little bit of Blanton’s I finished off a couple of months ago.

Secondary prices are continuing to rise. In some cases into pure crazy land.

Seems like any bourbon which has had good pub is getting harder to find. I still think there are sub (or near) $50 bourbons which aren’t too hard to find that are solid buys. But I haven’t had much luck at all in the last 18 months trying to get some of my favorites - one bottle of Stagg Jr is pretty much the extent of my hunting success.

Given what a solid bottle of scotch costs, I still think there is bourbon available at a better value but I also think it’s slowly changing.

Reactions: OSUIvan
I’ll have to try the MM 101. I’ve had plain MM plenty of times (the only bourbon at the hotel) and it’s drinkable but there’s a long list of bourbons I’ll go to first. I know their other offerings are more interesting but haven’t gotten around to trying them yet. Covid certainly hasn’t helped.

I've gotten a few good ones but nothing out of this world.
Most proud of the Michter's toasted rye and toasted sour mash. And the Nashville Barrel pick is a prized find as well.

ACtC-3fTXG_2-bc4Tr0pvPBM3Zn1NRnKk9xmxtCJj8P29VwqUan4XC9tb1kXzPFDSnzjrixIoQ5mBS5XgWKKic3LlZZMHosdR4F7C8MiHoB69oyAoG-BL4h2eqdO3m_zKfLR4s_wAENjfdH05izO5VdWT05X=w737-h982-no

ACtC-3fx1jCAxQxCuztgiZnFXZpSitqt64Q7p2j3HczNjzR0rrKUShGfsR9JFHgAXa8Uo86KDYWX8sY_ArYSL8ck_t0xUwEQcxVNNM8_RKkbvU3CC66Mabjn7944lDl5QkbZej-pOAhSGsgZDflqU8Jpwm3A=w1309-h982-no

ACtC-3ca8vAXLA4yJm-Oq64y8yW6Gj3vJPbRkYw1tiNyk6qwwpfnv17X-JaFf-ISUOon5MvOM9bIb3BlUYVGyDlo1b8L2nQ9SO7txB7q_Apv5_jyjnzuAdcNc06tK6HjS5tUnkRvnnszGoPXgKaE7zdsF6W9=w1309-h982-no

I've gotten a few good ones but nothing out of this world.
Most proud of the Michter's toasted rye and toasted sour mash. And the Nashville Barrel pick is a prized find as well.

ACtC-3fTXG_2-bc4Tr0pvPBM3Zn1NRnKk9xmxtCJj8P29VwqUan4XC9tb1kXzPFDSnzjrixIoQ5mBS5XgWKKic3LlZZMHosdR4F7C8MiHoB69oyAoG-BL4h2eqdO3m_zKfLR4s_wAENjfdH05izO5VdWT05X=w737-h982-no

ACtC-3fx1jCAxQxCuztgiZnFXZpSitqt64Q7p2j3HczNjzR0rrKUShGfsR9JFHgAXa8Uo86KDYWX8sY_ArYSL8ck_t0xUwEQcxVNNM8_RKkbvU3CC66Mabjn7944lDl5QkbZej-pOAhSGsgZDflqU8Jpwm3A=w1309-h982-no

ACtC-3ca8vAXLA4yJm-Oq64y8yW6Gj3vJPbRkYw1tiNyk6qwwpfnv17X-JaFf-ISUOon5MvOM9bIb3BlUYVGyDlo1b8L2nQ9SO7txB7q_Apv5_jyjnzuAdcNc06tK6HjS5tUnkRvnnszGoPXgKaE7zdsF6W9=w1309-h982-no

What would you say is your favorite bourbon that is new to you in the last year or so?

I’m always trying to find new options that are actually obtainable in a local store. But even if your list is all allocated, I’m still curious.

The single best so far has been Michter's 10 bourbon.
Then the Weller line. 12, Antique, Full Proof (not Special Reserve)
Midwinter Night's Dram from High West
Elijah Craig 18 is f'ing fantastic and maybe the most findable of this list.
I have a Heavenhill 16 year barrel strength that is a unicorn. I'll never find another one in the wild and it might be the single best whisky I've ever had.

On the more findable side I'd go with Willett Rye, Noah's Mill, and Rowan's Creek (avoid the pot still)

Yeah, there was NO Michter’s bourbon at either store yesterday. Only the flagship Rye at both stores and the American Whiskey at one of them.

The single best so far has been Michter's 10 bourbon.
Then the Weller line. 12, Antique, Full Proof (not Special Reserve)
Midwinter Night's Dram from High West
Elijah Craig 18 is f'ing fantastic and maybe the most findable of this list.
I have a Heavenhill 16 year barrel strength that is a unicorn. I'll never find another one in the wild and it might be the single best whisky I've ever had.

On the more findable side I'd go with Willett Rye, Noah's Mill, and Rowan's Creek (avoid the pot still)

I’ve been trying to land an M10 (bourbon or rye, ideally both) for most of this year. No luck. One of the local shops had it in their allocated charity auction a month ago. My other top target is Weller Full Proof, but around here the only thing that ever sees a shelf is WSR. MWND is one of my absolute favorites, but only found one 2 years ago. Again, local shop put it in their charity auction this year.

My unwillingness to pay secondary prices for stuff means my odds of landing things are way lower.

I tried Noah’s Mill and Rowan’s Creek a couple years ago and didn’t care for them. Maybe I’ll try again if I can ever get to a whiskey bar that has them.

My go to for a Bourbon that you can always find is starting to Old Forrester 1920. I can't get enough of that stuff. Got a bottle of Elijah Craig Toasted Barrell and I really like that stuff.

Got a Weller's Full Proof Store Pick over Christmas. Last rare bottle I've found.

I have added a bunch to my collection. A few of the notables

Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel
Elijah Craig 18 yo
Willet Pot Still
Willet Family Estate Small Batch Rye
Eagle Rare Single Barrell Store Pick
Crown Royal 16 yo Rye
Peg Leg Porker 12 yo
Peg Leg Poker Pit Master Reserve
Larceny Batch B520 (Whisky Advocate's Whisky of the year 2020)
A couple of the Rabbit Hole collections

I have added a bunch to my collection. A few of the notables

Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel
Elijah Craig 18 yo
Willet Pot Still
Willet Family Estate Small Batch Rye
Eagle Rare Single Barrell Store Pick
Crown Royal 16 yo Rye
Peg Leg Porker 12 yo
Peg Leg Poker Pit Master Reserve
Larceny Batch B520 (Whisky Advocate's Whisky of the year 2020)
A couple of the Rabbit Hole collections

What do you think of ECTB? I’ve heard mixed reviews.

I added Blantons gold to my collection last week, won it in a raffle in a bourbon group I'm in. In december I was able to snag a EH Taylor Barrel Proof that's about as good as I have gotten.

As for MM 101, I have heard that it's usually a duty free exclusive but since no one is traveling they are sending them out to stores as a "limited release" until people start flying. IMO it's what normal makers should be and at the price of normal makers but that's just my 2 cents, and for $40 it should NOT have a screw top, but that's the snob in me talking.

I added Blantons gold to my collection last week, won it in a raffle in a bourbon group I'm in. In december I was able to snag a EH Taylor Barrel Proof that's about as good as I have gotten.

As for MM 101, I have heard that it's usually a duty free exclusive but since no one is traveling they are sending them out to stores as a "limited release" until people start flying. IMO it's what normal makers should be and at the price of normal makers but that's just my 2 cents, and for $40 it should NOT have a screw top, but that's the snob in me talking.

Ivan...Weller 12 is a screwtop. Just sayin'. :p

Reactions: Ostatedchi
And Weller 107 is not. MM put it in a box put gold lettering on it make it look ultra premium, then I take the wax off and it was screw top, it just felt like a let down.
Don’t know if it pertains to whiskey but they’re finding with wine there is little discernibly difference so a lot of fantastic wines will be seen with screw tops now.

Reactions: JonnyVito
Currently in the cabinet - Just finished a 24 year Auchentoshan when the grandson was born and a Glenfiddich 15 tonight. I was just about to place an order for 2-3 new bottles to restock when I opened rivals for the first time in a while and saw this thread.

As you can see, more of a scotch guy.

IsnVDZP.jpg

Currently in the cabinet - Just finished a 24 year Auchentoshan when the grandson was born and a Glenfiddich 15 tonight. I was just about to place an order for 2-3 new bottles to restock when I opened rivals for the first time in a while and saw this thread.

As you can see, more of a scotch guy.

IsnVDZP.jpg
How’s that Balvenie 21?

A lot of my whiskey is in storage while we are building our new house. I’m going to gradually start expanding my collection as we get towards completion.

Love me some Balvenie.

I have an Octomor 11.3 coming and I’m really excited about it.

I don’t tend to collect. I tend to drink. I have 2 really nice bottles right now though - Balvenie 21 Portwood and Dalmore king Alexander 3.

• Love
Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
Use ryes almost exclusively in Manhattans, Scotch on stones, and bourbon over a single cube. Each has their time and place.

I like all three. I focus more on bourbon because in the past I thought there was more value there and in my experience I can find bourbons I enjoy more easily than ryes.

I haven’t yet found a 12y or older scotch that I would turn down if offered. But I really prefer 15y and older and the cost ramps up rapidly in that range.

I like all three. I focus more on bourbon because in the past I thought there was more value there and in my experience I can find bourbons I enjoy more easily than ryes.

I haven’t yet found a 12y or older scotch that I would turn down if offered. But I really prefer 15y and older and the cost ramps up rapidly in that range.
I have been reading some articles where scotch distillers are saying that they are going to back away from a lot of their age statements except for the very high and expensive age statements in favor of "flavor collections". This is primarily because they have to age statement for the youngest whiskey in the blend. So, while they may include a 20yo in the blend, they have to age state at 9 or 10 because they also use that age in the blend.

Tried Whistle Pig 10 and 12 last night in a blind and the 10 actually won going away. I experienced a flavor on the finish of the 10 that was really nice and that I hadn't experienced before.
I like the ten, never had the 12.

This brings me back to something I’ve said many times. Don’t overpay for rye. Use old overholt in cocktails and sip rittenhouse or Sazerac.

Do a blind taste test and you’ll be shocked what you pick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT