ADVERTISEMENT

Whiskey & Bourbon Collectors/Aficionados....

Just bought these two today

peatmonster-2019.jpg
ichiros-malt-and-grain-whisky.jpg

That’s really interesting. Can’t wait to get your review
So I just opened it and had an ounce neat.

For sure you can tell it is tequila. Has the typical nose. It hits you at first like a typical tequila. Light, smooth (for tequila), lemon zest, quick evaporation, but then the linger is where you get the sweetness of the whisky.

My wife called it a light, lemony, whisky. Pretty accurate.

Added the Pot Still to the collection tonight. Was supposed to be dry until our Mexico trip but I had to try it, really enjoy it. Reminds me a little of EH.

Scotch to me tastes like creosote or black magic marker. Just can't palate it. That said, I keep a few on hand for the scotch drinkers that show up.
As I think I have mentioned before not all scorches are anything like that. Since you frequent whiskey festivals and are a serious collector and probably talk to like minded serious folks Ian going to guess some of the people you have crossed paths with and who may have been hardcore scotch drinkers who favor heavily peated scotched like Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Or Lagavulin. Ardbeg literally tastes like Campho-phenique to me.

The Balvenie Double Wood has no discernible peat flavor. Macallan, Oban are others that have little or no peat.The character of single malt scotches is largely (though not entirely or consistently) tied to the region they come from.

There are tons of flavor maps available to guide you to trying something similar To what you know you already like or to branch out to try something new.

Last edited:
I like the ten, never had the 12.

This brings me back to something I’ve said many times. Don’t overpay for rye. Use old overholt in cocktails and sip rittenhouse or Sazerac.

Do a blind taste test and you’ll be shocked what you pick.
I think Old Overholt is very poor. Rittenhouse and Sazerac are both perfectly fine.

I wouldn’t use Whistle Pig 10 ( I also haven’t had the 12) in a cocktail because it’s so expensive, but I damn well can guarantee you I could pick out the Whistle Pig Piggyback or Michter’s Rye in a Vieux Carre or Manhattan vs Overholt.

I think Old Overholt is very poor. Rittenhouse and Sazerac are both perfectly fine.

I wouldn’t use Whistle Pig 10 ( I also haven’t had the 12) in a cocktail because it’s so expensive, but I damn well can guarantee you I could pick out the Whistle Pig Piggyback or Michter’s Rye in a Vieux Carre or Manhattan vs Overholt.
You must be talking about the 86 proof that’s probably barely enough rye to qualify. I’m talking about the bonded 100 proof.

To each their own, but I’ll die on the hill that people get duped and overpay for ryes. It’s changing, but for years many ryes were sourced from the same distillery in Indiana. Here’s an article that talks about that fact.

As I think I have mentioned before not all scorches are anything like that. Since you frequent whiskey festivals and are a serious collector and probably talk to like minded serious folks Ian going to guess some of the people you have crossed paths with and who may have been hardcore scotch drinkers who favor heavily peated scotched like Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Or Lagavulin. Ardbeg literally tastes like Campho-phenique to me.

The Balvenie Double Wood has no discernible peat flavor. Macallan, Oban are others that have little or no peat.The character of single malt scotches is largely (though not entirely or consistently) tied to the region they come from.

There are tons of flavor maps available to guide you to trying something similar To what you know you already like or to branch out to try something new.
Yeah I get that. I've had some pretty mellow Scotches. Some of the Japanese ones are pretty mild on the peat.

It's a lot like cilantro for me. Even the smallest amount in something just kills it for me. It makes the entire thing taste like soap. Totally overpowering. I always order anything from a Mexican restaurant with no cilantro.
Same for garlic. I just don't like the stuff and it totally overwhelms any other flavorings for me.

I'm not knocking others for liking it. We all have different tastes and that's what makes all this fun.

I actually had it backwards on Whistle Pig. I HAVE had the 12 but not the 10. Not sure how I got that confused. The 12 is glorious.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
Pastemagazine.com just did a best bourbon under $30. Here is the winner and the rest. They gave reviews on each. Thoughts?

WINNER ($15)
very-old-barton.jpg

Rest
beam-old-tub-bourbon-main.jpg

wild-turkey-101.jpg

old-forester-signature.jpg

buffalo-trace-bourbon-standard.jpg

bulleit-bourbon.jpg

Maker’s Mark
Old Grand Dad 114
Elijah Craig Small Batch
Knob Creek 9 Year
Four Roses Small Batch
1792 Small Batch

Not sure about Old Tub but the rest are very solid pours for their price. However I'm not personally a fan of Bullet.
I'd add Old Grand Dad 114 to that list for best drinks under $30.

Reactions: Marocain Poke
Not sure about Old Tub but the rest are very solid pours for their price. However I'm not personally a fan of Bullet.
I'd add Old Grand Dad 114 to that list for best drinks under $30.
Old Grandad was on it I just got tired of spamming with pictures so i listed them.

No complaints on that list. I really like Old Grand Dad, WT101 and Old Tub. Old Tub taste like a bag of peanuts to me (which I enjoy) but I can see why it is divisive. I've seen some stores try to mark it up and I don't get that. I wouldn't pay over MRSP for it but at its correct price I think it is really good.

I would include Early Times and Old Grand Dad BIB on my cheap list.

I am a whiskey novice but have been getting more interested, especially as a cigar accompaniment. I picked up Green Spot Irish whiskey recently and am really enjoying it. High West double rye is another one I have been enjoying.

I work with a guy in Denver. He’s a freak about Stranahan’s. I need to try it.
I got a sample of it at the store. It is very mellow and smooth as the bottle says. Super easy drinker and for the price point might be a lot of people's daily sipper.

I had Stranahan’s I purchased in Denver back when they first put it out. Maybe 10-12 years ago. Very light. Irish whisky feel to me at that time. Nothing wrong with that at all.

So, the Buffalo Trace annual Antique releases—- do any of those ever make it to the store?

Follow-up: how does one access the secondary market, if one has a mind to? Is there anywhere in Tulsa or OKC where one could purchase something if they wanted?

Last edited:
So, the Buffalo Trace annual Antique releases—- do any of those ever make it to the store?

Follow-up: how does e access the secondary market, if one has a mind to? Is there anywhere in Tulsa or OKC where one could purchase something if they wanted?
It is very rare for one of them to actually hit the shelf at even close to MSRP. It's a unicorn.

Private facebook groups are where the real secondary market lives. I don't have a facebook account so I don't really have access. That being said, there is a HUGE thread on the mainboard with plenty of hooked up folks.

It is very rare for one of them to actually hit the shelf at even close to MSRP. It's a unicorn.

Private facebook groups are where the real secondary market lives. I don't have a facebook account so I don't really have access. That being said, there is a HUGE thread on the mainboard with plenty of hooked up folks.

Didn't they do a George T. Stagg there not too long back?

Follow-up: how does e access the secondary market, if one has a mind to? Is there anywhere in Tulsa or OKC where one could purchase something if they wanted?

Best bet is finding a liquor store who does some kind of raffle. Byron's in OKC has had about 4-5 different raffles since before XMas and each has had the antique releases. I would guess that is the only way you'll ever get it from a store at MSRP.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
I also saw a raffle at $100 per ticket for the entire Michter’s line. That was tempting as well.

But for that Pappy raffle, they’ll sell up to 2500 tickets with 1 winner. And I don’t get to oversee the selection - hard pass for me.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT