ADVERTISEMENT

Whiskey & Bourbon Collectors/Aficionados....

I'm getting partial to a good Irish as well. What are your recommendations (reasonably priced)? I've had lots of RB12, RB Lustau, Green Spot and Slane's but always looking for others....

The thing about Irish Whiskey is that until fairly recently, there was a pretty small number of operating Irish whiskey distilleries and they accounted for most of the brands that came out.

For instance, Red Breast, Jameson's, Midleton, Powers and Sons, and the Dot Series all come from the Irish Distillers Group in Midleton, County Cork, Ireland.

There is a growing number of local craft distilleries opening in Ireland and other distilleries that are shipping to American.

Some different recs at the $50 or so price range would be:

Glendalough Double Barrel Irish Whiskey-finished 6 mo in sherry casks
Proclamation
Jameson's Black Barrel
Kanppogue Castle 12 year-single malt
Tullamore Dew 12 year Special Reserve
Power's 12 year Special Reserve
Teeling Single Pot still
Teeling Stout Cask Finish
Bushmills 10 year Single Malt (Bushmill's Green)

Grabbed a Knob Creek 15 years a couple weeks back. Probably wouldn't grab another. Not terrible but pretty steep in price. I think I've decided I really only like Knob Creek at the higher proofs.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
The thing about Irish Whiskey is that until fairly recently, there was a pretty small number of operating Irish whiskey distilleries and they accounted for most of the brands that came out.

For instance, Red Breast, Jameson's, Midleton, Powers and Sons, and the Dot Series all come from the Irish Distillers Group in Midleton, County Cork, Ireland.

There is a growing number of local craft distilleries opening in Ireland and other distilleries that are shipping to American.

Some different recs at the $50 or so price range would be:

Glendalough Double Barrel Irish Whiskey-finished 6 mo in sherry casks
Proclamation
Jameson's Black Barrel
Kanppogue Castle 12 year-single malt
Tullamore Dew 12 year Special Reserve
Power's 12 year Special Reserve
Teeling Single Pot still
Teeling Stout Cask Finish
Bushmills 10 year Single Malt (Bushmill's Green)
Outstanding and thanks....now I have another list to work from...

Been after sweet wheat for a while... just dont want to pay secondary prices.
I have asked my bottle distributer to look out for this and save me back two bottles. It's a long shot but if they come through, I will grab a bottle for you. Do you live in the US of A?

I have my fingers crossed for the OF Birthday Bourbon.

I have asked my bottle distributer to look out for this and save me back two bottles. It's a long shot but if they come through, I will grab a bottle for you. Do you live in the US of A?

I have my fingers crossed for the OF Birthday Bourbon.
I'm in Owasso, You get me a bottle, I will get you a sample of birthday bourbon .

I'm in Owasso, You get me a bottle, I will get you a sample of birthday bourbon .
Sounds good. I am also trying to get my person to get me two OF BB and I will gladly sell one to @Ostatedchi at the price I get it from the liquor store if he is interested.

What Whistle Pig is good? I saw they had one bottle of that brand in there.

Sounds good. I am also trying to get my person to get me two OF BB and I will gladly sell one to @Ostatedchi at the price I get it from the liquor store if he is interested.

Any are good, but I prefer the Homestock, Small Batch Rye or the Piggyback....but can't go wrong with the Pig, IMO....

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Any are good, but I prefer the Homestock, Small Batch Rye or the Piggyback....but can't go wrong with the Pig, IMO....
Thanks I will stop back in there today and check which one it is. Also want to see if she had any luck pulling some strings to get me my request. Their distributor loves them and sometimes they can pull off getting me something. That seagrass one you all keep mentioning sounds interesting to me. I love rum and that seem to have a rumish twist?

Oh man. You find an OFBB at cost and you'll find yourself with a nice gifted bottle.

Thanks I will stop back in there today and check which one it is. Also want to see if she had any luck pulling some strings to get me my request. Their distributor loves them and sometimes they can pull off getting me something. That seagrass one you all keep mentioning sounds interesting to me. I love rum and that seem to have a rumish twist?
Whistle Pig 12 is really good if not a bit pricy. But for a better price the piggy back 6 year is good.

I've not cracked the seagrass yet, but it was Fred Mitnick's 2nd best whisky of 2021.

I've not cracked the seagrass yet, but it was Fred Mitnick's 2nd best whisky of 2021.
IF that was the list on a page or two back then I printed it and am looking for those on it. I think that list was what made me want to try the seagrass the rum and apricot has my interest peaked. I think I am going to make the wife go to a few spots in OKC this weekend.

I'm hoping Minnick ranking Seagrass so high doesn't make it become scarce. Of course the price point might stop that from happening.

Any of you ever tasted Jefferson's Ocean aged? I love the OCEANA group and they do the sea ageing on the barrels. Just wondering if the booze is good?

What's the price point? Anywhere from 80 to 100 seems about right.

So when I went to get the seagrass the guy said he was going to get a 15 year seagrass is this true?

So when I went to get the seagrass the guy said he was going to get a 15 year seagrass is this true?
There is a Seagrass 16 year. But it is pretty pricey. MSRP is $250 I think. And probably worth every penny.
Seagrass-Gray-Label-Solo-Shot-with-Box.jpg

Edited to add: I'll Venmo you the money if you don't want that bottle for $250. Just saying.

There is a Seagrass 16 year. But it is pretty pricey. MSRP is $250 I think. And probably worth every penny.
Seagrass-Gray-Label-Solo-Shot-with-Box.jpg

Edited to add: I'll Venmo you the money if you don't want that bottle for $250. Just saying.
Wild that is pretty much the price the guy rattled off. If I ever make it to this place I will have him holler at me when that comes in and try to grab a couple bottles. I thought maybe I was going for the wrong item but then he rattled the prices to me.

Went by and grabbed the seagrass today and they had a dovetail one as well. I would have grabbed it but I already had the whistle pig 10 year rye.

The green or grey label Seagrass?
Green they didn’t have the 16 year in yet. I promise if I get a chance at one I will check with you to see if you want it. I just finally got around to grabbing the regular one. I had to go to Edmond last night so I ran by there since I didn’t have my kid in tow for the first time in a bit.

Green they didn’t have the 16 year in yet. I promise if I get a chance at one I will check with you to see if you want it. I just finally got around to grabbing the regular one. I had to go to Edmond last night so I ran by there since I didn’t have my kid in tow for the first time in a bit.
No rush or pressure. If you happen to fall into one that you don't want, then awesome. If not, no worries on my end.

No rush or pressure. If you happen to fall into one that you don't want, then awesome. If not, no worries on my end.

Pretty sure you can order the 16 YO Seagrass from the Barrell site.

I saw that. I just wasn't sure if they'd actually ship to Oklahoma. Very cool that they will.

Holy cow batman thank you. They sell rum also. Man I am a Mount Gay XO guy but I am buying a bottle of their top end rum.

I also think I am going to have to grab that, Armida. That sounds yummy. If I like this Seagrass, I think I going to just order one of the 16 years for my beach week this year.

Holy cow batman thank you. They sell rum also. Man I am a Mount Gay XO guy but I am buying a bottle of their top end rum.

I also think I am going to have to grab that, Armida. That sounds yummy. If I like this Seagrass, I think I going to just order one of the 16 years for my beach week this year.
Awesome! Please let us know how you like that fancy Seagrass! :D

I saw that. I just wasn't sure if they'd actually ship to Oklahoma. Very cool that they will.
Just tried ordering a few of the sampler packs for some gifts. Would not let me ship to Oklahoma.

If someone has had success purchasing from this site and shipping to the Cowboy State, please let me know.

@Ostatedchi

OK I am on the list for the 16-year Seagrass. I should get one bottle at least; I think when the shipment comes in. If I only get one and I end up not wanting it then it is yours. I hope next week I have news. The trucks didn't run this week.

Doing calls today with company type stuff so I get put on hold for very long-time frames. Been calling every liquor store in OKC trying to find this sweet wheat. Holy hell I might find Bigfoot first today and I haven't left the office.

Reactions: OrangePhish
Shop got the 16 year seagrass in. Surprisingly my wife said she didn’t care if I kept it. I am going to see if he will give me two but sounded like the shipment was low. He called making sure I wanted one. Love having a wife that drinks bourbon.

Got it. Also grabbed a distillery edition Hampden rum.
@Ostatedchi you need to check this place out. I should have had you call right after me and reserve a bottle. It is called George’s Liquor in OKC. It’s by downtown. He has all kinds of the barrell products and has the 24 year one also. They even have their own barrel on the rye they picked out. I missed the rum by a couple months. Pretty cool place and total hole in the wall feel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT