ADVERTISEMENT

Whiskey & Bourbon Collectors/Aficionados....

Got it. Also grabbed a distillery edition Hampden rum.
@Ostatedchi you need to check this place out. I should have had you call right after me and reserve a bottle. It is called George’s Liquor in OKC. It’s by downtown. He has all kinds of the barrell products and has the 24 year one also. They even have their own barrel on the rye they picked out. I missed the rum by a couple months. Pretty cool place and total hole in the wall feel.
I'll have to make a road trip to OKC. Nice haul.

Just got hooked up with with an OWA107 and a Jack Daniels Single Barrel, barrel proof. I'll have to arrange to pick them up. But, that's a damn good day.

Any one ever signed up for this membership / raffle "opportunity"?

Seems this would get shut down or a good deal of bad internet chatter if it wasn't legit...

The pursuit of Pappy

Last edited:
Got it. Also grabbed a distillery edition Hampden rum.
@Ostatedchi you need to check this place out. I should have had you call right after me and reserve a bottle. It is called George’s Liquor in OKC. It’s by downtown. He has all kinds of the barrell products and has the 24 year one also. They even have their own barrel on the rye they picked out. I missed the rum by a couple months. Pretty cool place and total hole in the wall feel.

George's is my local shop. They always have great picks. I'm not a rum guy (just don't know much about it) but loved the rum pick they had a coupe months back. They are a good follow on Instagram too. Pretty funny.

Actually this weekend at George's I hit the pinnacle of my whisky career. The owner let me buy a bottle of EH Taylor he had in back. Just asked me if I was interested in some EH Taylor. Never gotten the hook up from a store for being a regular before.

George's is my local shop. They always have great picks. I'm not a rum guy (just don't know much about it) but loved the rum pick they had a coupe months back. They are a good follow on Instagram too. Pretty funny.

Actually this weekend at George's I hit the pinnacle of my whisky career. The owner let me buy a bottle of EH Taylor he had in back. Just asked me if I was interested in some EH Taylor. Never gotten the hook up from a store for being a regular before.
I love this shop. It is such a literal hole in the wall. When I went Saturday, I took my wife with me, and she kept saying am I going to get raped staying in the car out here. I like Cody a lot also as he is such a friendly and informative guy. They have such a great inventory also. I am pissed I missed out on the private rum barrel they did. I wondered if some from this group shopped there also. When I went in on Saturday he asked if OSU was playing today because of all the orange he was seeing. I want that Barrell 24-year rye they have but after dropping almost 400 in there on two bottles I didn't want to push it with the wife.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I love this shop. It is such a literal hole in the wall. When I went Saturday, I took my wife with me, and she kept saying am I going to get raped staying in the car out here. I like Cody a lot also as he is such a friendly and informative guy. They have such a great inventory also. I am pissed I missed out on the private rum barrel they did. I wondered if some from this group shopped there also. When I went in on Saturday he asked if OSU was playing today because of all the orange he was seeing. I want that Barrell 24-year rye they have but after dropping almost 400 in there on two bottles I didn't want to push it with the wife.

Yeah, I avoided it for a while because that area is pretty damn rough. It is super close to my house though. I haven't had any issues with all the homeless people yet. It is not the type of place where you will ever stumble onto something truly hard to find but there selection is just consistently good.

Over the past 3 or 4 months he has had store picks of Stellum, Russel's, 1792 Full Proof, Buffalo Trace and Knob Creek and they've all been really good.

I've been eying that 24-year Barrell but haven't pulled the trigger.

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Yeah, I avoided it for a while because that area is pretty damn rough. It is super close to my house though. I haven't had any issues with all the homeless people yet. It is not the type of place where you will ever stumble onto something truly hard to find but there selection is just consistently good.

Over the past 3 or 4 months he has had store picks of Stellum, Russel's, 1792 Full Proof, Buffalo Trace and Knob Creek and they've all been really good.

I've been eying that 24-year Barrell but haven't pulled the trigger.
I am glad you got the Taylor. I feel bad keeping this gray label seagrass. I am such a noob with this stuff. Now you guys want to talk about mammoth carts I am your expert. lol

I think he had the 1792 Full proof in when I was there Saturday. He had something in the 1792.

Also this Seagrass is some high proof stuff.

Don't know why I'm telling you sunsabitches this, but Fred Minnick will be selling some barrel picks of JD SBBP on a first come first serve basis to people who sign up for his whiskey club:

Any one ever signed up for this membership / raffle "opportunity"?

Seems this would get shut down or a good deal of bad internet chatter if it wasn't legit...

The pursuit of Pappy
Saw a news report out of Wichita on a raffle benefitting the Ronald McDonald house a week or so ago.

“Ronald McDonald House Charities Wichita is raffling off the sought-after Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon collection. The collection includes the 10 Year, 12 Year, 15 Year Reserve, 20 Year Reserve, 23 Year Reserve, plus the 13 Year Reserve Rye. Beginning February 1, 2022 at 12:00am CST, purchase your raffle tickets for $100 each - sales will close once we have sold 1,500 tickets. The raffle drawing will take place within 10 business days after the last ticket is sold.”

They said the collection was worth $19,000. @Ostatedchi should enter next time.

Saw a news report out of Wichita on a raffle benefitting the Ronald McDonald house a week or so ago.

“Ronald McDonald House Charities Wichita is raffling off the sought-after Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon collection. The collection includes the 10 Year, 12 Year, 15 Year Reserve, 20 Year Reserve, 23 Year Reserve, plus the 13 Year Reserve Rye. Beginning February 1, 2022 at 12:00am CST, purchase your raffle tickets for $100 each - sales will close once we have sold 1,500 tickets. The raffle drawing will take place within 10 business days after the last ticket is sold.”

They said the collection was worth $19,000. @Ostatedchi should enter next time.
That's a pretty common raffle structure.

Anybody else tried the Angel's Envy Finished Rye? My goodness, that's a smooth sipping whiskey. I'm not a big rye guy, but this is just a smooth whiskey with a bit of a vanilla finish. Not horribly expensive - about $100/bottle....

Was really hoping they had a Weller’s 12 available today but had to go with a Basil’s 10 year. Hoping it doesn’t disappoint, I think it was a great idea for one of my local stores to start a bourbon on the month club.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
I've been drinking bourbon and scotch for a number of years but just recently began sipping and enjoying.

Lately I've been buying more than drinking as I come across different bourbons that catch my eye. I've been able to score about half a dozen bottles of Buffalo Trace here in Stillwater and this weekend I landed a bottle of Blanton's, 107 Wellers, Special Reserve Wellers and a bottle of Maker's Mark cask strength through an old acquaintance. As new as I am to all of this it made me feel like I found a unicorn and won the lottery at the same time. I'd share a photo but I can't figure how to post one and several of you have posted photos of all that I mentioned so I'm sure that everyone knows what they look like. Haven't opened any of them yet and kinda planning on waiting to see if I can score a second bottle of each so I can keep the others as 'mementos".

I'm a total noob but I've been reading every word written here and feel like I'm slowly learning more and more thanks to all of you that have been contributing to this thread. I tip my glass to each of you and I thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Last edited:
I've been drinking bourbon and scotch for a number of years but just recently began sipping and enjoying.

Lately I've been buying more than drinking as I come across different bourbons that catch my eye. I've been able to score about half a dozen bottles of Buffalo Trace here in Stillwater and this weekend I landed a bottle of Blanton's, 107 Wellers, Special Reserve Wellers and a bottle of Maker's Mark, cask strength through an old acquaintance. As new as I am to all of this it made me feel like a found a unicorn and won the lottery at the same time. I'd share a photo but I can't figure how to post one and several of you have posted photos of all that I mentioned so I'm sure that everyone knows what they look like. Haven't opened any of them yet and kinda planning on waiting to see if I can score a second bottle of each so I can keep the others as 'mementos".

I'm a total noob but I've been reading every word written here and feel like I'm slowly learning more and more thanks to all of you that have been contributing to this thread. I tip my glass to each of you and I thank you for sharing your knowledge.
My personal opinion is that the Antique 107 is the best of that bunch. Even over the Blanton's. But great haul none the less.

My personal opinion is that the Antique 107 is the best of that bunch. Even over the Blanton's. But great haul none the less.

I like 107, but I have had a Blanton’s pour or two that I thought was way better.

However, between the two bottles I currently have open, there’s no clear winner. I’ve read some people complaining that Blanton’s bottles can be inconsistent and in my limited experience I would agree with this.

I picked up a Barrell Private Selection yesterday. Man those guys (or girls) know what the hell they are doing. Just wish it wasn't so damn expensive.

I picked up a Barrell Private Selection yesterday. Man those guys (or girls) know what the hell they are doing. Just wish it wasn't so damn expensive.
Yep. They make damn good stuff and price it close to what they think secondary prices would be.

I thought this was pretty interesting and I largely agreed with the top 6 or so, but not necessarily in this order. I keep hoping this bourbon boom will help bring scotch prices down … so far nada.

I thought this was pretty interesting and I largely agreed with the top 6 or so, but not necessarily in this order. I keep hoping this bourbon boom will help bring scotch prices down … so far nada.

Interesting. I haven’t tried several of those even though they’ve been on my list forever (Evan Williams Single Barrel…) but I’m surprised with Michter’s Small Batch at 15. That might be my favorite bottle in this category.

I’m also a fan of Old Granddad Bonded, but I think Michter’s is notably better.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
Interesting. I haven’t tried several of those even though they’ve been on my list forever (Evan Williams Single Barrel…) but I’m surprised with Michter’s Small Batch at 15. That might be my favorite bottle in this category.

They let people like me vote, so take what you will from that list.

Agreed. Michter's is one of my favorites (when I can find it). I prefer the Old Forester 1920, primarily because it's 115 proof. Of course, it's not generally under $40/bottle

I live in Longmont. Old Elk is in Fort Collins.

You would think the local shops would do barrel picks and have some of their unique stuff on the shelf occasionally, and you would be wrong.

There are some local shops that don’t carry it at all.

You would think the local shops would do barrel picks and have some of their unique stuff on the shelf occasionally, and you would be wrong.

I’d never heard of it but it was the monthly bottle for our bourbon club and the wife and I really liked it. We also like supporting CO businesses.

Reactions: trapped_in_tx

I’ve seen barrel picks for Old Elk in Tulsa. Guy who works for me picked one up as a matter of fact.

I've got an Old Elk barrel pick. I've done a complete 180 on it. When I first cracked it open I thought it was fine. Not bad but nothing special I would pick up again. But the last couple of times I've had a pour I've really liked it.

I've got an Old Elk barrel pick. I've done a complete 180 on it. When I first cracked it open I thought it was fine. Not bad but nothing special I would pick up again. But the last couple of times I've had a pour I've really liked it.
Is bourbon like red wine were it can change with letting it breath? I know the guy at George's told me to warm up on a lesser bourbon before starting on the Barrel 16 year. He said you had to warm up your palate which I thought was interesting.

Is bourbon like red wine were it can change with letting it breath? I know the guy at George's told me to warm up on a lesser bourbon before starting on the Barrel 16 year. He said you had to warm up your palate which I thought was interesting.

I have no idea honestly. I've read different stuff and some people swear bourbon can change taste drastically over time and some say it really does. I do know what you have eaten and drank that day can effect the taste a ton.

I have no idea honestly. I've read different stuff and some people swear bourbon can change taste drastically over time and some say it really does. I do know what you have eaten and drank that day can effect the taste a ton.
Wow never thought about foods and bourbon but ya I paired certain wines to my meals back when I got into red wine. So I assume that would be the same type deal.

It can be in my experience. It for sure can change over extended periods once the bottle is opened.
Yes you 'warm up your palate' by taking an initial first small sip and let that shock wear off. Then on the 2nd tasting is when you get more of the complexity of the whisky.
Also, whisky being warm (at least not really cold) can also open up the aromatics and significantly change the nose.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT