ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Baptist Convention = groomers

Fortunately, laws separating church and state prevent the church led grooming from being driven through our public schools. Unfortunately, grooming led by the teacher's unions and their favored charities seems to be accepted.

At least you caveated your bullsh!t with “seems” lol

Carry on

• Haha
Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Fortunately, laws separating church and state prevent the church led grooming from being driven through our public schools. Unfortunately, grooming led by the teacher's unions and their favored charities seems to be accepted.
Bingo.

Every time: So apparently the most sanctimonious, conservative ones were lead predators:

Those outside the SBC world cannot imagine the power of the mythology of the Café Du Monde—the spot in the French Quarter of New Orleans where, over beignets and coffee, two men, Paige Patterson and Paul Pressler, mapped out on a napkin how the convention could restore a commitment to the truth of the Bible and to faithfulness to its confessional documents.

For Southern Baptists of a certain age, this story is the equivalent of the Wittenberg door for Lutherans or Aldersgate Street for Methodists. The convention was saved from liberalism by the courage of these two men who wouldn’t back down, we believed. In fact, I taught this story to my students.

Those two mythical leaders are now disgraced. One was fired after alleged mishandling a rape victim’s report in an institution he led after he was documented making public comments about the physical appearance of teenage girls and his counsel to women physically abused by their husbands. The other is now in civil proceedings about allegations of the rape of young men.

We were told they wanted to conserve the old time religion. What they wanted was to conquer their enemies and to make stained-glass windows honoring themselves—no matter who was hurt along the way.

I'm always amazed how conservatives and religious people will get so reflexivley pissed at anything from the institution of government, and then turn around and empower their own institutions to do unspeakable things.

How could anyone affiliate with the Southern Baptist Convention after this kind of evil and hypocrisy? Talk about being used.

you don’t see the difference between a government you are forced to deal with and a church you can walk away from, start your own or join any thousands of others? Your brain is roughed up

Reactions: AC2020
Every time: So apparently the most sanctimonious, conservative ones were lead predators:

Those outside the SBC world cannot imagine the power of the mythology of the Café Du Monde—the spot in the French Quarter of New Orleans where, over beignets and coffee, two men, Paige Patterson and Paul Pressler, mapped out on a napkin how the convention could restore a commitment to the truth of the Bible and to faithfulness to its confessional documents.

For Southern Baptists of a certain age, this story is the equivalent of the Wittenberg door for Lutherans or Aldersgate Street for Methodists. The convention was saved from liberalism by the courage of these two men who wouldn’t back down, we believed. In fact, I taught this story to my students.

Those two mythical leaders are now disgraced. One was fired after alleged mishandling a rape victim’s report in an institution he led after he was documented making public comments about the physical appearance of teenage girls and his counsel to women physically abused by their husbands. The other is now in civil proceedings about allegations of the rape of young men.

We were told they wanted to conserve the old time religion. What they wanted was to conquer their enemies and to make stained-glass windows honoring themselves—no matter who was hurt along the way.

I'm always amazed how conservatives and religious people will get so reflexivley pissed at anything from the institution of government, and then turn around and empower their own institutions to do unspeakable things.
I am very familiar with the conservative resurgence in the SBC that occurred in the 1980s and early 90s (which led to the creation of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship by those who were essentially forced out of the Convention). It also affected the SBC seminaries. I know when Dr. Albert Mohler became President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1993, there was essentially a minor civil war that occurred at the Seminary.

Dr. Russell Moore, whose article I linked to earlier on this thread, was a theology teacher at Southern after Mohler became President. I've always admired Moore and he was an excellent theology professor. He has recently been outspoken about many concerns he has with the SBC ranging from how it has handled racism to sexual abuse claims. He resigned as President from the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission over his concerns back in May 2021 and has faced numerous attacks.

However, I was not aware of the recent allegations made against Paige Patterson and Paul Pressler. These two men were heros of the conservative resurgence. Frankly, I'm shocked about the allegations made against Pressler. Apparently too, a teenager claimed Patterson helped cover up the sexual abuse he suffered from Pressler.

How could anyone affiliate with the Southern Baptist Convention after this kind of evil and hypocrisy? Talk about being used.
I will have to disagree with you on this Sy. I can understand why someone would still affiliate with the SBC after all of this just as I can understand how someone can still be a Catholic given what has occurred in the Catholic Church. Not all Southern Baptists are guilty of these acts and hopefully they are outraged by what is being revealed. I can understand their commitment to their denomination and desire to clean up this mess. Dr. Russel Moore is one example of a Southern Baptist leader who has been very vocal regarding what needs to change in the Convention.

Keep in mind too that it was Southern Baptist delegates to the SBC national meeting last year who pressed for this outside probe.

I am very familiar with the conservative resurgence in the SBC that occurred in the 1980s and early 90s (which led to the creation of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship by those who were essentially forced out of the Convention). It also affected the SBC seminaries. I know when Dr. Albert Mohler became President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1993, there was essentially a minor civil war that occurred at the Seminary.

Dr. Russell Moore, whose article I linked to earlier on this thread, was a theology teacher at Southern after Mohler became President. I've always admired Moore and he was an excellent theology professor. He has recently been outspoken about many concerns he has with the SBC ranging from how it has handled racism to sexual abuse claims. He resigned as President from the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission over his concerns back in May 2021 and has faced numerous attacks.

However, I was not aware of the recent allegations made against Paige Patterson and Paul Pressler. These two men were heros of the conservative resurgence. Frankly, I'm shocked about the allegations made against Pressler. Apparently too, a teenager claimed Patterson helped cover up the sexual abuse he suffered from Pressler.

I will have to disagree with you on this Sy. I can understand why someone would still affiliate with the SBC after all of this just as I can understand how someone can still be a Catholic given what has occurred in the Catholic Church. Not all Southern Baptists are guilty of these acts and hopefully they are outraged by what is being revealed. I can understand their commitment to their denomination and desire to clean up this mess. Dr. Russel Moore is one example of a Southern Baptist leader who has been very vocal regarding what needs to change in the Convention.

Keep in mind too that it was Southern Baptist delegates to the SBC national meeting last year who pressed for this outside probe.

It took an expose’ by the Houston Chronicle in 2019 that blew things up to get that delegation assembled. Let’s be honest about how forthcoming the SBC was about accountability until it actually went public lol

Carry on

• Haha
The same being true for various Catholic Church archdiocese’s…

At least 750 of those lawsuits filed since January 2020 are against Catholic dioceses, and more than 800 people are in the process of filing to beat a Dec. 31 deadline, according to lawyers involved in the cases.

The year-end date marks the close of the state’s three-year “lookback window,” which allows plaintiffs to file civil suits for childhood sexual abuse no matter how long ago the alleged events took place.

Now, facing hundreds of lawsuits, a group of Catholic bishops is taking those challenges to the nation’s highest court. Saying they faced “potentially ruinous liability,” the bishops last month asked the U.S. Supreme Court to declare the California lookback window unconstitutional.”

• Haha
you don’t see the difference between a government you are forced to deal with and a church you can walk away from, start your own or join any thousands of others? Your brain is roughed up
Of course there's a difference. Lots of differences, aren't there?

I guess there's no comparison since there's "a difference" -- you are truly a child of right wing dumbshit radio. You think just like them.

• Haha
Of course there's a difference. Lots of differences, aren't there?

I guess there's no comparison since there's "a difference" -- you are truly a child of right wing dumbshit radio. You think just like them.

you are really sensitive today. Is there something you would like to share with the class?

There are a number of problems with this argument.

First, many politically conservative Christians want to force their religion back into the public schools. That is a stated goal many have.

Second, I know some Southern Baptists who have been leading the charge with the recent attacks on public education and public educators. And yet, look what is going on in their own denomination! Perhaps they should consider focusing more of their energy in cleaning up their own house before they start trying to attack and condemn public education and public educators.

And lastly, should we think that all public school educators who belong to the Southern Baptist Convention are "groomers" and support sexual abuse simply because of what is being revealed about some Southern Baptists? Of course not! Yet, this seems to be exactly what some right-wingers want to do with all public school educators regarding the current cultural war issues. Guilt by association. Hold up examples of what some individual teachers are doing/advocating and use those examples to claim there is a systematic problem with all schools and all public educators (and trying to label everyone "groomers"). This is just as wrong as claiming all teachers who happen to belong to the SBC are pushing some agenda.

It took an expose’ by the Houston Chronicle in 2019 that blew things up to get that delegation assembled. Let’s be honest about how forthcoming the SBC was about accountability until it actually went public lol

Carry on
Clearly, many leaders in the SBC have not been forthcoming about what is occurring in the SBC. And I have no doubt many rank and file SBC members have supported those leaders.

My point is simply that we shouldn't claim all Southern Baptists support this mess or don't want to address these problems. Nor should we assert that Southern Baptists should leave their denomination over this. Someone needs to fix the problem.

We would be acting no different than how many right-wingers act if we were to group all Southern Baptists in with those who engaged in sexual abuse and the cover-up.

Clearly, many leaders in the SBC have not been forthcoming about what is occurring in the SBC. And I have no doubt many rank and file SBC members have supported those leaders.

My point is simply that we shouldn't claim all Southern Baptists support this mess or don't want to address these problems. Nor should we assert that Southern Baptists should leave their denomination over this. Someone needs to fix the problem.

We would be acting no different than how many right-wingers act if we were to group all Southern Baptists in with those who engaged in sexual abuse and the cover-up.
Cleary you love little kids

The entire board when @SquatchinPoke posts lately…

200w.gif

Reactions: my_2cents
There are a number of problems with this argument.

First, many politically conservative Christians want to force their religion back into the public schools. That is a stated goal many have.

Second, I know some Southern Baptists who have been leading the charge with the recent attacks on public education and public educators. And yet, look what is going on in their own denomination! Perhaps they should consider focusing more of their energy in cleaning up their own house before they start trying to attack and condemn public education and public educators.

And lastly, should we think that all public school educators who belong to the Southern Baptist Convention are "groomers" and support sexual abuse simply because of what is being revealed about some Southern Baptists? Of course not! Yet, this seems to be exactly what some right-wingers want to do with all public school educators regarding the current cultural war issues. Guilt by association. Hold up examples of what some individual teachers are doing/advocating and use those examples to claim there is a systematic problem with all schools and all public educators (and trying to label everyone "groomers"). This is just as wrong as claiming all teachers who happen to belong to the SBC are pushing some agenda.

Look at your posting history.

Still have questions as to why people would call you a groomer?

Reactions: Medic007
Still have questions as to why people would call you a groomer?
Yes, because I have never supported those who sexually abuse children or those who wish to groom them for sexual abuse.

The whole "groomer" label some of you right-wingers throw around and direct at your political opponents is sick. You guys just keep sinking lower in lower into the muck.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Yes, because I have never supported those who sexually abuse children or those who wish to groom them for sexual abuse.

The whole "groomer" label some of you right-wingers throw around and direct at your political opponents is sick. You guys just keep sinking lower in lower into the muck..

Thats not it.

Think back.

Thats not it.

Think back.
Again, I have never supported those who sexually abuse children or those who wish to groom them for sexual abuse. I've not seen any poster on this board advocate support for such actions.

Using that term to disparage those who diagree with one over political issues is repugnant.

Again, I have never supported those who sexually abuse children or those who wish to groom them for sexual abuse. I've not seen any poster on this board support such actions.

Using that term to disparage one's political opponents is repugnant.

I told you that wasn’t the answer already.

What have you done that’s the same?

There are multiple right answers.

What have you done that’s the same?

There are multiple right answers.
Then give those multiple answers.

btw, opposition to the current orchestrated right-wing culture war attacks on education and public school educators doesn't make one a groomer. And to claim otherwise is exactly what I'm calling repugnant.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12

btw, opposition to the current orchestrated right-wing culture war attacks on education and public school educators doesn't make one a groomer. And to claim otherwise is exactly what I'm calling repugnant.

Someone is feeling guilty.

Reactions: Medic007

cUlTuRe WaR aTTaCkS!!!!!!

Nah, seriously, we don't want you kiddie groomers preying on children in an environment where they're supposed to be safe. DeSantis nailed it despite your moronic feelings and flailings.

Which side of the political spectrum do you think this guy is on?

You do everything you find so offensive.

And you lack the awareness to see it.
So no, you apparently can't put your argument into your own words. btw, I know what your misguided argument is. Let me know when you want to actually express it in your own words.

With that said, I've never called any other poster on this board a groomer. When I do, then you can talk to me about me doing that which I find offensive.

Keep an eye out now! 🤣

So no, you apparently can't put your argument into your own words. btw, I know what your misguided argument is. Let me know when you want to actually express it in your own words.

With that said, I've never called any other poster on this board a groomer. When I do, then you can talk to me about me doing that which I find offensive.

Keep an eye out now! 🤣
There it is you libs telling people how to live. I just just wants rights for everyone as long as they don’t infringe on mine. You want to kill babies

So no, you apparently can't put your argument into your own words.

I've never called any other poster on this board a groomer. When I do, then you can talk to me about me doing that which I find offensive.

Keep an eye out now! 🤣

Seems like you have something to get off your chest.

I will judge you.

These first 17 months of the Brandon Admin has taught us no matter how bad it gets, and it is pretty damn bad right now, that the Libs on this board is part of the 20% ers that represent the dumbest demographic in American history. I imagine when that percentage hits 5% they will still stand by Brandon.

To be honest, might as well put them on ignore. Dumb trolls, not capable of seeing the facts and continue to parrot Rachel Maddow, The View, and Stacy Abrams. Waste of time.

Keep an eye out now! 🤣
Awwwww, did you get your feelings hurt, GroomerPyle? Stop supporting child grooming and people probably won't call you a groomer.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
These first 17 months of the Brandon Admin has taught us no matter how bad it gets, and it is pretty damn bad right now, that the Libs on this board is part of the 20% ers that represent the dumbest demographic in American history. I imagine when that percentage hits 5% they will still stand by Brandon.

To be honest, might as well put them on ignore. Dumb trolls, not capable of seeing the facts and continue to parrot Rachel Maddow, The View, and Stacy Abrams. Waste of time.
What in the world does this have to do with the topic of this thread?

🙄

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT