141 Heil 1st, Moran 6th
149 Collica 1st
157 Jojo 2nd
165 Rogers 1st
174 Crutch 2nd
184 Boyd 2nd
197 Weigel 3rd, White 4th
285 Schafer 3rd

198 total team points, no team had more than 1 champion except for oSu.

We're going to have to significantly improve over then next two months if we have any hopes for 35.

Reactions: giddyup
125 - finished as seeded
133 - finished as seeded
141 - finished as seeded
149 - seeded 2 finished 1
157 - finished as seeded
165 - seeded 3 finished 1
174 - finished as seeded
184 - finished as seeded
197 - finished as seeded
285 - seeded 1 finished 3

I think smith finished below seed as Cornell kid didn't wrestle. Like how heavyweight came back and got 3rd. Duke kid had a great tournament.

I love how Kaid wrestled even with his mistakes, getting injured is my major concern with his mistakes. I like it that Heil won with his takedown attempt, he does keep winning. You have to love how Collica is wrestling beating a tough wrestler. I will admit giving up the reversal at the end of the 2nd got me swearing. The best moment of the night was Chandler Rogers pin over a very good opponent. Weigel, Boyd and Schaefer wrestled solid also. Piccinini wrestled poorly all day and night. So far this year he has been a weak link. I hope Smith starts wrestling. I would think if anyone knows how to finish a low single he would but he let go and lost the match. Crutchmer did not wrestle good in the finals. The first period he stood around doing nothing and paid the price. The poster who typed I wish all of our wrestlers wrestled like Boyd was so right with Crutchmer, even when way behind he wouldn't shoot. Good tournament for us but we may have helped Penn. St. take Hall out of redshirt. I believe that would give them 5 killers in their lineup 25, 49, 57, 74 and 84. With 2 others who would place high 65 and HWT. But Nationals is 2 months away and things can change greatly by then. At this point we don't have 10 all americans ( as someone indicated earlier) wrestling for us unless tremendous improvement occurs. Good chances to AA now would be 33, 41, 49, and 84. Borderline now 57, 65, 74, 97 and HWT. 15 to 20 guys at 25 could have beat Piccinini today. Now I do think Smith will be a sure thing later on and Rogers may be ready to explode but it is still in question because of his demonstrated inconsistency. This is what I think after the scuffle.

Just a side note/trivia, the kid who Hall lost to this season Brucki , Brucki was pinned TWICE last season by Chandler Rogers one time in 6:42, the other time in 22 seconds at the Southern Scuffle.

Brucki was a reserve the last 2 years at Central Michigan though good with a 30-6 record. Source Wrestlestats.

No point, just interesting

I guess I don't understand all the hand wringing. When you wrestle as many matches as we did over two days there is going to be good and bad. However, overall as a team, it was a really good tournament. We weren't going to pin our way to 10 champions. I have no idea if we can beat Penn State but this weekend didn't make me feel all the differently than I did a week ago. Our strength is going to be having a chance at 10 guys placing. Maybe that won't be enough to beat Penn State's 3 or 4 bonus point machines but it is who we are. If you are waiting for Heil or Crutch to start suddenly turn into bonus machines you are going to have a long wait.

I like what i saw out of our guys. With the schedule being a little wierd this year we needed the mat time. I think we gained some valuable experience this week an we can build off of it. If march was next week
I would say

Picc round of 12 maybe
Brock 3-6 he is a ball of fire but his bottom game needs to improve as the season progresses
Heil champ.All he does is get his hand raised
Collica 2-3. I think he will beat sorensen
Smith 3-6 everybody knows scrambling is his weakness
Rogers 6-rd12. I like him during tourney time because he doesnt have a hour weigh in. Multiple weigh ins could be a problem.
Cructh 5-8
Nolan 3-6
Wiegle 6-rd12 possibly could not place because of limited offense.
Schafer 6-rd12

I am willing to bet our guys will be ready for march due to previous results so i believe we will be right their at the end with 35 in our reach.

Reactions: osu2082
The National tournament is a strange thing. You never know when an unbeatable #1 seed will fall. We have experienced that and every highly ranked team does as well. Penn State is tough, but being a #1 seed does not mean you do not have to wrestle. We just need to keep getting better. Maybe Chandler Rogers will get his weight under control deeper into the season. Jo Smith's loss was a fluke and he will win at least 50% of those matches. Sure we will have one or two guys finish under their ratings, but will most of the other top four rated teams.

Iowa will be a good test for us. Do we know if Clark will be back for that match? I would love to see him and Brock mix it up.

The National tournament is a strange thing. You never know when an unbeatable #1 seed will fall. We have experienced that and every highly ranked team does as well. Penn State is tough, but being a #1 seed does not mean you do not have to wrestle. We just need to keep getting better. Maybe Chandler Rogers will get his weight under control deeper into the season. Jo Smith's loss was a fluke and he will win at least 50% of those matches. Sure we will have one or two guys finish under their ratings, but will most of the other top four rated teams.

Iowa will be a good test for us. Do we know if Clark will be back for that match? I would love to see him and Brock mix it up.
No way was Joe's match a fluke. He was out-wrestled and not in shape. He needs to get his weight under better control and will by February. He is imminently beatable at this time but not bad for 2nd appearance.

Schafer looked a lot bigger than Kasper. At least 3 inches taller and 10 lbs heavier
Schafer is bigger than Kasper but Kasper is a great scrambler and the six point move off of Schafer's takedown attempt was the difference in the match. Kasper took it all beating Kroells in the finals.

No way was Joe's match a fluke. He was out-wrestled and not in shape. He needs to get his weight under better control and will by February. He is imminently beatable at this time but not bad for 2nd appearance.

He is basically a wrestler starting his season going against wrestlers in midseason form, on last years form he should have got bonus in 4 matches and won the match he lost, conditioning is so crucial in all combat sports, you need skill first and foremost, but a modestly skilled person in great shape can beat a very skilled person who is out of shape. He will get in better shape, hopefully there is enough time, his goal should be to win NCAA and beat Nolf , possible but a lot of hard work ahead.

I dont see how picc got beat by lizak that bad?? someone explain the match i missed it!
If I remember correctly lizak scored on a counter that led straight to a 4 count, then he got another 2 count, after escape, lizak scored on a go behind off a bad shot. That was pretty much the end. NP started going hard to make up difference, I know he got a TD, can't remember the rest of the scoring. I believe it ended 15-5. NP picked up the pace at the end, he needs to have that intensity from the beginning.

I thought it boiled down to Joe just letting go of the leg in a scramble and getting put on his back from that. You are right as Joe probably gassed at the end of the match when that happened and he went to his back. I still think Joe wins the next meeting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT