ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament

OHkie

Redshirt
Oct 14, 2018
Brackets being released, tough draw for Reece, gets the 31 seed and Pat Glory in the first round

Fix as expected is the 2 seed he has Rotundo from cal Polly (20-2) as the 31 seed. Vito is the 3.

Victor is the 24 seed if he upsets 9 seed Milner in the first round he would most likely see Murin in round 2.

Gfeller at the 10 get Pappas of George Mason round 1. With a win there he should see Andonian Thursday night, someone will end up on their head in that one.

Reactions: Cenosillicaphobia
Sheets back in his comfortable position of the 31 seed, gets OToole in rd 1.

Upper weight draws look a lot better than the lower weights on first glance.

what is the link that shows the number of qualifiers per team?

Think problem was only his 125lb record counts for seeding, if he'd won B12 ...
However, having Glory first match may not be bad if Reece has his weight well adjusted. Glory is sucking a lot of weight and first match could be an issue.
That’s great info, but I don’t buy that.

His conference performance only got him to the dance, which is ludicrous. What are the seeds of those he beat head-to-head?

That’s great info, but I don’t buy that.

His conference performance only got him to the dance, which is ludicrous. What are the seeds of those he beat head-to-head?
OkieSpladle posted this a while back. It explains the criteria & methodology used for seeding.

In Reece's case, we don't know where he ended up in the final coaches' ranking, but he had a rough winning % at 125 (5-6 record), no RPI because he was short the required 15 matches, and very few H2H wins because of the late weight change. On the positive side, he had a good conference placement (3rd) and 4 quality wins against other qualifiers.

I was hoping he would be seeded in the high 20s to avoid Lee & Glory, but apparently it wasn't enough.

You've pretty much got it. It isn't quite so easy as plugging it all into a computer and spitting it out (I also haven't ever been in the room to watch it happen so I don't know exactly how they work through it), but the basic process is 25% head-to-head, 20% quality wins, 15% coaches ranking, 10% results against common opponents, 10% RPI, 10% qualifying event placement, and 10% winning percentage. We've actually gotten a lot more information on the specifics of how they compare wrestlers this year as Pat Tocci of the National Wrestling Coaches Association has been very helpful in filling in the gaps. The best I can tell, they start with a list (probably the CR) then compare the resumes of those next to each other head to head using the rubric. Quality wins are tiered with different point values for, say, a top 5 win versus one over #17, and qualifying event placement values winning a conference title heavily. You can find most of the details here (http://www.ncaa.org/championships/division-i-wrestling) in the Pre-Championships manual and the mock selection PowerPoint.

As an aside and I know it won't comfort the conspiracy theorists, but the active coaches on the committee are supposed to leave the room when their wrestlers are being discussed. Also, now that I and other members of the media know how to go through the points and compare wrestlers, any funny business is going to be readily apparent. I know at least one other person is doing so right now and I have plans to work through the numbers after the season. Now I have to get back to writing DI weight class previews.

OkieSpladle posted this a while back. It explains the criteria & methodology used for seeding.

In Reece's case, we don't know where he ended up in the final coaches' ranking, but he had a rough winning % at 125 (5-6 record), no RPI because he was short the required 15 matches, and very few H2H wins because of the late weight change. On the positive side, he had a good conference placement (3rd) and 4 quality wins against other qualifiers.

I was hoping he would be seeded in the high 20s to avoid Lee & Glory, but apparently it wasn't enough.
That helps my angst!

I just feel his current status of performance warranted a better label than “next to the worst Wrestler” in the bracket.

I don’t disagree with getting poor support in seeding, but I disagree that his performance warranted the second worst spot in the bracket.

But hey, I think our two 31’s may be bracket busters!

That helps my angst!

I just feel his current status of performance warranted a better label than “next to the worst Wrestler” in the bracket.

I don’t disagree with getting poor support in seeding, but I disagree that his performance warranted the second worst spot in the bracket.

But hey, I think our two 31’s may be bracket busters!
I agree, Reece is dangerous the way he's wrestling right now.

From WS:
RPI
Rank
Cchs Rank
Nat Qual
Wrestler
School
RPI
Record

22 (24)
19#35 Jore Volk
#49 Wyoming
19 - 9
23 (25)29#32 Jarrett Trombley
#4 NC State
13 - 6
NA (26)#24 Reece Witcraft
#5 Oklahoma State
12 - 8

WS is incorrectly including his matches at 133 in the RPI & quality wins. I noticed this a few weeks ago. Same for some others who switched weights during the year.

I agree, Reece is dangerous the way he's wrestling right now.

WS is incorrectly including his matches at 133 in the RPI & quality wins. I noticed this a few weeks ago. Same for some others who switched weights during the year.
Maybe in his rpi record but they give him no rpi or coach rank because too few matches at 125.

Maybe in his rpi record but they give him no rpi or coach rank because too few matches at 125.
He had no coaches' ranking before because you need a minimum of 8 matches. Reece had 6 at the end of the regular season, now he has 11, so he's eligible for one in the updated rankings.

Your screenshot is from the RPI rankings page, it includes his matches at 133. There's also a Big 12 Championship page that shows the coaches' ranking & RPI, plus an attempt at quality matches. That page shows the 133 results as well. For example, it shows his loss to Zach Redding from the Scuffle.

It’s only tough draws for some of the Cowboys cause they aren’t in the top 8 seeds like the old glory days of OSU.

Looking at Cardinale's record this season. He was 10-0 on the year before Big12s, but with only 1 significant win, a 3-2 decision over Prata. At Big12s he took the injury default to Reece and then a MFF to finish 10-1. He ended up with the #28 seed at Nationals.

Looking at him vs Reece, neither gets the RPI (10%) so that's out. Then Reece wins the H2H (25%), the qualifying event placement (10%), and very likely wins the quality wins (20%) because Reece has more wins over other qualifiers. Reece likely loses the coaches' ranking (15%), the winning % (10%), and maybe the results against common opponents (10%) only because Reece split against Prata. Straight up, Reece should have been seeded higher. I think this probably means their coaches' rankings were not close.

Reactions: DPJ
Wyatt was notified 1 week before Nationals in 2021. The tourney began on 3/18/2021 and John had to give the NCAA an answer by noon on 3/11/2021.

The story was John tried to call Wyatt all morning, but Wyatt didn't answer because he was in class. John finally texted him to let him know that he got in.

I've been very busy working around the house, with the non-rainy weather in Tulsa so I just noticed that there's been nothing on this post since Thursday and nothing on the whole board since Saturday, I guess we need a major Wrestling event in the near future to stir up excitement.

Any news on Carter, Wyatt, anything else of interest? If not, everybody have a safe trip to Tulsa. Unfortunately it looks like we might get some rain on Thursday but clear the rest of the weekend although a little cold at night. At least you won't have to suffer through any 100 degree days like that moaning baby Sly.

Downtown Tulsa has been much improved in recent years so I hope everyone finds something to do/eat between sessions. If the waits for restaurants within walking distance are too long try Cherry Street (2 miles east), Utica Square (3 miles east), Brookside (3 miles south).

If you have the time you might check out the Woody Guthrie Center and/or the Bob Dylan Center which are side-by-side or maybe the Jazz Hall of Fame which is right next to The Center of The Universe as seen on TV (ala Tulsa King). Try a tour or just walk through/by the Philtower and other nearby buildings which are some of the best if not the best examples of Art Deco architecture. The walk through the the lobbies of the Philtower and adjacent Mid-Content towers are certainly worth the price of admission (free).

Phillbrook is a fine museum and only 3 miles away but, unfortunately The Gilcrease Museum is closed for renovation/construction which is widely thought to contain the greatest collection of western art (Remington, Russel, et. al.) in the world.

I apologize in advance for some of the roads. My taxes go somewhere but considering they didn't fix the major West/North bound road to the Airport, which was/is in very bad shape, for the PGA last year you poor visiting Wrestling fans don't stand a chance.

I'm not the most knowledgeable Tulsa native or a member of the Chamber but I was born here in 1956 so I know a few things and like most wrestling fans, have an opinion, so if you have any question just ask.

Last edited:
Great point on the alternate locations - Brookside and Cherry street are great options for people wanting to get away from the masses for some in-between session eating/drinking. If you really want to get away, then its not hard to jump on 75 south and head out to the Jenks riverwalk area.

If you've got kids with you take them to the Gathering Place -worth the trip if you need to keep young people entertained.

Downtown Tulsa is incredibly underrated and I would put the BOK up there with almost any professional venue. The narrative that Tulsa would be a bad host city blows my mind.

I've been very busy working around the house, with the non-rainy weather in Tulsa so I just noticed that there's been nothing on this post since Thursday and nothing on the whole board since Saturday, I guess we need a major Wrestling event in the near future to stir up excitement.

Any news on Carter, Wyatt, anything else of interest? If not, everybody have a safe trip to Tulsa. Unfortunately it looks like we might get some rain on Thursday but clear the rest of the weekend although a little cold at night. At least you won't have to suffer through any 100 degree days like that moaning baby Sly.

Downtown Tulsa has been much improved in recent years so I hope everyone finds something to do/eat between sessions. If the waits for restaurants within walking distance are too long try Cherry Street (2 miles east), Utica Square (3 miles east), Brookside (3 miles south).

If you have the time you might check out the Woody Guthrie Center and/or the Bob Dylan Center which are side-by-side or maybe the Jazz Hall of Fame which is right next to The Center of The Universe as seen on TV (ala Tulsa King). Try a tour or just walk through/by the Philtower and other nearby buildings which are some of the best if not the best examples of Art Deco architecture. The walk through the the lobbies of the Philtower and adjacent Mid-Content towers are certainly worth the price of admission (free).

Phillbrook is a fine museum and only 3 miles away but, unfortunately The Gilcrease Museum is closed for renovation/construction which is widely thought to contain the greatest collection of western art (Remington, Russel, et. al.) in the world.

I apologize in advance for some of the roads. My taxes go somewhere but considering they didn't fix the major West/North bound road to the Airport, which was/is in very bad shape, for the PGA last year you poor visiting Wrestling fans don't stand a chance.

I'm not the most knowledgeable Tulsa native or a member of the Chamber but I was born here in 1956 so I know a few things and like most wrestling fans, have an opinion, so if you have any question just ask.
I noticed the lack of activity also. I posted the live auction that has some cool stuff on it and nobody has said a thing.

To your post, I'll get with my wife (tour guide) and see what entertainment and food amenities she's decided on. I know she'll have a list with backups for each day.

I'll post them here. Also, it would be cool to meet up with the 7-8 posters on here and put handshakes and faces to each other.

Reactions: DPJ
There are some really good breweries in the Pearl district. Its just a short drive located just east of downtown Tulsa. If that's your thing check out Marshall, Nothing's left and American Solera. They are all within walking distance of each other.

Reactions: gif tannen
I noticed the lack of activity also. I posted the live auction that has some cool stuff on it and nobody has said a thing.

To your post, I'll get with my wife (tour guide) and see what entertainment and food amenities she's decided on. I know she'll have a list with backups for each day.

I'll post them here. Also, it would be cool to meet up with the 7-8 posters on here and put handshakes and faces to each other.
I looked at the auction and would love the hunt with my wrestling hero Mike Sheets but everything on the list is way out of my price range but I should have commented there. It did seem like there were bids on each item.

Reactions: chasepollard
There are some really good breweries in the Pearl district. Its just a short drive located just east of downtown Tulsa. If that's your thing check out Marshall, Nothing's left and American Solera. They are all within walking distance of each other.
I'm not a big Brewery fan but I know that there are at least 3 Brewery's inside the downtown loop. My favorite place for beer is Fastler hall. A German restaurant 10 minutes from BOK down 3rd street. Great brats, duck fat fries, schnitzel with spaetzel and an extensive beer list. I love their Brats and Duck Fries

As I said, I'm not a beer expert but my brother and several friends and acquaintances who are swear by McNellie's, 1st and Elgin. I'm a big fan of the Cottage Pie and Cajun Meatloaf.

Personally, I prefer Kilkenny's Irish Pub on cheery street. This where I discovered my personal beer fav, Smithwick's Irish ale (pronounced smidicks). I prefer their cottage pie over McNellie's and they have an extended beer list plus a great atmosphere.

Reactions: jon_osu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT