ADVERTISEMENT

Scuffle.

If anyone remembers Brandon Mason, sophomore AA who struggled mightily to get off bottom, John would force him to take down so he could work on it during a match.

Maybe John’s philosophy on that has changed, I don’t know..
Micco, My memory which could be right or wrong was Mason was so good on top that his opponents would not take bottom during his sophomore and so he would choose top. His junior and senior year the coaches had him working so much on takedowns (he was not good in neutral) and his wrestling on top suffered. I thought our coaches did not do a good job with Brandon Mason ( his wrestling did not fit our style).

Mastro's match was ugly but the Ramos/Surtin match had lots of people being thrown on their heads.

Young still can't get off the bottom. I'm assuming a danger count against him but it looked like he was in more control than his opponent.

141 - Young drops a 5-4 Dec after leading 4-1 in the 2nd. That 4 point call was the difference in the match. Not good on bottom again. 8th for Young.

Reactions: bwel9339
Young still can't get off the bottom. I'm assuming a danger count against him but it looked like he was in more control than his opponent.

141 - Young drops a 5-4 Dec after leading 4-1 in the 2nd. That 4 point call was the difference in the match. Not good on bottom again.
Looked like Carter thought he was getting a danger count but you only get that from neutral. He should have kept working for reversal not back exposure. A mistake, he had that match.

141 - Young drops a 5-4 Dec after leading 4-1 in the 2nd. That 4 point call was the difference in the match. Not good on bottom again. 8th for Young.
Was it a danger count or did he get thrown in a cradle ? Hard to tell on my phone ?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say 125 and 141 need to try something different when on bottom. Put your opponent in an uncomfortable position and they will give up the escape.

Reactions: colcord
Was it a danger count or did he get thrown in a cradle ? Hard to tell on my phone ?
It looked like Young was the one that was putting his opponent into a cradle. That's why I was confused and the 4-point call.

149 - Voinovich loses 5-3 in SV after being up 3-0 going into the 3rd. Tied up on ridding time by 3 or 4 seconds. Had to go back and watch what I missed. Started on top, reversed, then ridden out.

2nd for Voinovich

157 - G loses 4-2 Dec to place 4th

Not looking very good in this final round overall.

165 - Sheets wins by MF. The Stanford kid took a nasty fall and looked like he was knocked out for a bit.

3rd place for Sheets

I like G but he relies on a few things he does very well to win him matches. He’s just not a complete wrestler IMO. Doesn’t take many shots, spends way too much time tied up hand fighting keeping the matches close. Voinovich got way too high and should have felt it sooner. I was taught to never force the legs in when the guy keeps tri podding out. I think that’s what Voinvoich did and how it got high on his shoulders which cost him. He will learned. That win really would have helped his rankings though which sucks.

Reactions: bwel9339 and ionel
Ouch, the NDSU wrestler came down on his neck when Wittlake flipped him to try to get an escape.

285 - Doucet 3-1 Dec in SV but apparently it's being reviewed. Call was reversed and no TD.

Doucet with a full 30-second ride in TB1

Doucet with the escape and now will have a 2-1 Dec for 3rd place.

It has been disappointing to watch Mastro and Carter struggle . As of talk in development Plott , Surber and Doucet have made jumps from last year at this time. Plott has a chance to end up the NO 2 seed at nationals. He is handful to handle for seven minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT