ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Targets

Not saying the NCAA cares about the Olympics. My point was as long as freestyle stays a Olympic sport RTC will have the backing they need to keep operating.They will move off campus if need be. Just like college football players that train at different sports performance centers in the offseason.

No argument here on that but a fundamental change forced by the NCAA would alter the landscape of college wrestling recruiting and how these RTC's and colleges interact.

RTC's in some fashion are here to stay and I think everyone who is involved in wrestling supports that but their ties and interactions with college wrestling programs is an issue. Now it's an issue that might be here to stay and every program IMO will need to learn how to play in the grey area and use these to their advantage or be left behind.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Flo updated their prospect rankings (projected weights across all classes). Some interesting weight predictions and rankings...

Older Mastro #2 at 125 (behind Figueroa)
Witcraft #7 at 133
Carter Young #10 at 141
Balmaceda #4 at 157
Little Mastro #3 at 165 (wow)
Daniel Manibog #7 at 174 (wow)
Plott #2 at 184 (behind Facundo)
Tate Picklo #9 at 184
Ferrari & Amos #s 1/2 at 197
Kyle Haas #19 at 197
Doucet #8 at 285

Flo updated their prospect rankings (projected weights across all classes). Some interesting weight predictions and rankings...

Older Mastro #2 at 125 (behind Figueroa)
Witcraft #7 at 133
Carter Young #10 at 141
Balmaceda #4 at 157
Little Mastro #3 at 165 (wow)
Daniel Manibog #7 at 174 (wow)
Plott #2 at 184 (behind Facundo)
Tate Picklo #9 at 184
Ferrari & Amos #s 1/2 at 197
Kyle Haas #19 at 197
Doucet #8 at 285

This is also pretty interesting to the discussion. While I agree with everyone that a big-time RTC is desperately needed. We aren't exactly getting beat by anyone when it comes to the next couple classes at this point. We are recruiting as well as we have in over a decade.

Again, not saying the RTC stuff is not desperately needed. Just saying if you read this thread you would think the bottom had fallen out. We potentially might have a couple No. 1 classes on the way.

This is also pretty interesting to the discussion. While I agree with everyone that a big-time RTC is desperately needed. We aren't exactly getting beat by anyone when it comes to the next couple classes at this point. We are recruiting as well as we have in over a decade.

Again, not saying the RTC stuff is not desperately needed. Just saying if you read this thread you would think the bottom had fallen out. We potentially might have a couple No. 1 classes on the way.

I think things have definitely picked up recently. To me the Mastro commit was big because he's a non Oklahoma guy. Can we continue to get them? If yes, then we should be in the hunt for a team trophy. Now can we get some top 10 PFP non Oklahoma guys, like Kerkvliet, Ferrari or Amos? That's where the RTC comes in. We have to land some in order to contend for a team title.

I think things have definitely picked up recently. To me the Mastro commit was big because he's a non Oklahoma guy. Can we continue to get them? If yes, then we should be in the hunt for a team trophy. Now can we get some top 10 PFP non Oklahoma guys, like Kerkvliet, Ferrari or Amos? That's where the RTC comes in. We have to land some in order to contend for a team title.
Wittlake was a top 10 guy out of Oregon.

Absolutely, and I really am not arguing against an RTC in the slightest. We need one. I just think the RTC is an easy target for some past recruiting woes that honestly had nothing to do with an RTC. I think we simply have a much better recruiting staff than we've had in year's past.

It is not the end all be all but in Flo's most recent prospect ranking we have 7 guys listed in the top 8. ASU has 5. Iowa has 4. Ohio State has 3. Penn State has 2.

I just think it is important context as we discuss were we are in recruiting right now.

Wittlake was a top 10 guy out of Oregon.

True. He was actually as high as #2 at one point until he slid following some freestyle losses. I still like him though (and Montalvo who was around #30).

Balmeceda (around #12) I'm still not sure about yet. Did anyone else notice he took a knee in the Ironman finals 24 seconds into the match? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Weird.

To win the team title we need guys that can reasonably be expected to finish top 3 at nationals (Daton, Plott). Hopefully Wittlake. Maybe Balmaceda. Maybe Mastro. We'll need some others too to match the firepower of PSU & tOSU.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Absolutely, and I really am not arguing against an RTC in the slightest. We need one. I just think the RTC is an easy target for some past recruiting woes that honestly had nothing to do with an RTC. I think we simply have a much better recruiting staff than we've had in year's past.

It is not the end all be all but in Flo's most recent prospect ranking we have 7 guys listed in the top 8. ASU has 5. Iowa has 4. Ohio State has 3. Penn State has 2.

I just think it is important context as we discuss were we are in recruiting right now.

No, I agree with you - things are looking up. I was just saying we need even more firepower to win a team title.

True. He was actually as high as #2 at one point until he slid following some freestyle losses. I still like him though (and Montalvo who was around #30).

Balmeceda (around #12) I'm still not sure about yet. Did anyone else notice he took a knee in the Ironman finals 24 seconds into the match? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Weird.

To win the team title we need guys that can reasonably be expected to finish top 3 at nationals (Daton, Plott). Hopefully Wittlake. Maybe Balmaceda. Maybe Mastro. We'll need some others too to match the firepower of PSU & tOSU.

Wittlake had some injury issues which lead to a couple losses imo. He is a great wrestler and I expect he will prove that in the coming years at OSU.

Reactions: osu2082
Devin Winston released his school list - Michigan, Nebraska, Arizona St, Illinois & Minny.

Not sure if we ever showed any interest.

Mastrogiovanni into quarters at Beast of the East. He’s gone Tech, Fall, Major, to get there.

Mastrogiovanni into quarters at Beast of the East. He’s gone Tech, Fall, Major, to get there.
I looked at results this morning and was shocked to find Mastro was beaten 11 to 4 in the quarters by the 8th seed and track indicated he was behind 6 to 0 in his 1st consolation match in the 3rd period. At first I couldn't understand why it said consolation match and then said his record was 4 and 1 and then I went to brackets and there was the ugly explanation. He must be injured?

I looked at results this morning and was shocked to find Mastro was beaten 11 to 4 in the quarters by the 8th seed and track indicated he was behind 6 to 0 in his 1st consolation match in the 3rd period. At first I couldn't understand why it said consolation match and then said his record was 4 and 1 and then I went to brackets and there was the ugly explanation. He must be injured?

Tough tournament, Mastro (#1 seed) faces Guida (#2 seed) for 7th place.

Looks like Robert Howard lost also. Will Witcraft be ranked #1 at 126?

Older Mastro wins 5-0 and takes 7th at 120. His losses were to 3rd place Crookham and 5th place Barnabae.

Younger Mastro takes 2nd at 138, losing 3-1 to Aragona (#1 at 138 and #11 PFP).

AJ Ferrari takes first at 195, with close wins in the semis (Ethan Hatcher) and finals (Jacob Cardenas). Ethan Hatcher is a junior out of Ohio and someone we should be looking at. He ended up taking 3rd.

Little Ferrari takes 2nd at 113. Lost a close one to Kurt McHenry 5-4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rdcldad
Tough tournament, Mastro (#1 seed) faces Guida (#2 seed) for 7th place.

Looks like Robert Howard lost also. Will Witcraft be ranked #1 at 126?
Witcraft is number 1 at 26, Mastro is 4th at 120, young Mastro is 5th at 138, Balmeceda is ranked 4th at 52, Manibog is 10 at 160, Plott is 2 at 170, Ferrari 1st at 195, and Doucette 3rd at 220. young Ferrari is rated 5th at 13. At 170 ay KC Fisher is rated 6th, Reiniche is rated 7 and Penner 8th a big win for Plott at less than 100%.

Plott is very aggressive 100max effort type of wrestler. Very fun to watch

Plott is very aggressive 100max effort type of wrestler. Very fun to watch

osudog, I saw that Ryder Ramsey won the Stampede at 132 (although I don't think he hit any top guys). Any thoughts on him? Any interest in OSU?

Geary should be interesting. We could get Plott/Ramirez (#2/#3), Witcraft/Colaiocco (#1/#2), Picklo/Mata (#14/#7), Surber/Incontrera (#20/#16). Probably some other good ones too.

Geary should be interesting. We could get Plott/Ramirez (#2/#3), Witcraft/Colaiocco (#1/#2), Picklo/Mata (#14/#7), Surber/Incontrera (#20/#16). Probably some other good ones too.
I can’t wait for Geary it’s going to be extra big time this year. Plott wanted to wrestle Coleman really bad at Choctaw but it takes two for that happen. Witchcraft / Colaiocco would be fireworks for three periods

osudog, I saw that Ryder Ramsey won the Stampede at 132 (although I don't think he hit any top guys). Any thoughts on him? Any interest in OSU?
He is damn good on Top and I think probably under valued some due to no fault of his own but Plott is their bell cow recruit and maybe he gets lost in that some. I think he will have nice options to wrestle in college. Osu might be more of do they have room for him or gunning for a big time kid at that 133-141 weight

He is damn good on Top and I think probably under valued some due to no fault of his own but Plott is their bell cow recruit and maybe he gets lost in that some. I think he will have nice options to wrestle in college. Osu might be more of do they have room for him or gunning for a big time kid at that 133-141 weight

Saw a couple of his Stampede matches and thought he looked pretty good. Then I watched his Fargo quarters against Blair's Colaiocco. He got in on Colaiocco's legs 3x in about 90 seconds but couldn't finish. He ended up getting tech'd after swinging and missing on a foot sweep right into a leg lace. Can't imagine too many guys get in on Colaiocco that way. Ramsey could see Van Ness at Geary.

He committed to Army West Point.

Jakason Burks listed us in his top 5 with Iowa State and Nebraska. He's apparently keeping two spots open. He would be a great addition to our 2020 class.

Thought I'd check out the Rutgers board to see if they're talking about Daton vs Suriano. There are some posts that the Ferrari brothers have left (or may be leaving) Blair. Lake Highland Prep (FL) was mentioned as a possible destination. Don't know how reliable the info is. Would be really surprising if true.

Thought I'd check out the Rutgers board to see if they're talking about Daton vs Suriano. There are some posts that the Ferrari brothers have left (or may be leaving) Blair. Lake Highland Prep (FL) was mentioned as a possible destination. Don't know how reliable the info is. Would be really surprising if true.

Don't see the Ferraris on the Blair roster

https://www.blair.edu/athletics/winter-sports/wrestling

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT