ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Targets

Pure speculation on my part, but the original announcement was all caps on BIG which makes me think the conference. I would love for it to be one of the BIG men from the Buxton Redbeards all star team (Ferrari or Amos) as the team was alluded to in the Mastrogiovanni commitment article on track.

Not much of a surprise there, Lee Pritts coached Figueroa at Cadet Worlds.

In the past couple of weeks ASU has flipped Busiello and added Figueroa and Santiago (beat Balmaceda at Super32). Plus they already had guys like Cohlton Schultz and Jacori Teemer on board. Not too shabby.

I'm hoping that DC being at Gilroy will start to help us with Cali over time.

Figs to Arizona State. That's what some people were speculating.
ASU is putting together an impressive group of recruits. Their 2015 class was one of the best. This year will be telling for that class and Zeke’s ability to develop wrestlers. A recap of that class:

Anthony Valencia-#1 p4p recruit in 2015. No AA yet

Zahid Valencia- #3 p4p. Placed 3rd and 1st.

Tanner Hall-the #9 recruit in 2011. He is now a 24 or 25 year old true senior with one AA in 3 years as a starter

Lance Benick-#10. Has disappeared from my radar. No fault of ASU.

Josh Shields-#11 p4p Two year starter and 1x AA

Josh Maruca-#18 p4p. One yr starter and no AA

Nikki Villarreal-3X CA state champ but has not cracked the lineup.

ASU is putting together an impressive group of recruits. Their 2015 class was one of the best. This year will be telling for that class and Zeke’s ability to develop wrestlers. A recap of that class:

Anthony Valencia-#1 p4p recruit in 2015. No AA yet

Zahid Valencia- #3 p4p. Placed 3rd and 1st.

Tanner Hall-the #9 recruit in 2011. He is now a 24 or 25 year old true senior with one AA in 3 years as a starter

Lance Benick-#10. Has disappeared from my radar. No fault of ASU.

Josh Shields-#11 p4p Two year starter and 1x AA

Josh Maruca-#18 p4p. One yr starter and no AA

Nikki Villarreal-3X CA state champ but has not cracked the lineup.

I think Tanner Hall might be redshirting this year.

If Hall does redshirt then ASU could potentially be in the mix for a team trophy next year. Zahid could go 184 and Teemer could slide in at 149/157.

Loosely related, but the 285 class is thinning out a little this year. Dhesi might not be back for Oregon St and Gable might redshirt along with Hall. If Nevills is healthy (and beats out Cassar), then the top 3 contenders would be Stoll, Nevills, and Derek. Derek senior AA, senior champ?

Reactions: cbond and osu2082
If Hall does redshirt then ASU could potentially be in the mix for a team trophy next year. Zahid could go 184 and Teemer could slide in at 149/157.

Unrelated, but the 285 class is thinning out a little this year. Dhesi might not be back for Oregon St and Gable might redshirt along with Hall. If Nevills is healthy (and beats out Cassar), then the top 3 contenders would be Stoll, Nevills, and Derek. Derek senior AA, senior champ?
Anthony Valencia looks to be redshirting too.

This would be a very solid lineup for them.

125: Brandon Courtney
133: Josiah Kline
141: Cory Crooks/Navonte Demison
149: Josh Maruca
157: Jacori Teemer
165: Josh Shields
174: Anthony Valencia
184: Zahid Valencia
197: Kordell Norfleet
HWT: Tanner Hall

Edit: Does anyone know what happened to Mason Smith? He's no longer listed on ASUs roster on their website our Wrestlestat.

Kinda strange with the signing period starting that there's no news on Devin Winston or Talon Borror yet.

This is a ways off, but Flo has updated their 2022 Big Board (yes, they are only freshmen!) and there are 4 Oklahoma kids in the top 28.

Jordan Williams, Tulsa, #17
Bam West, Edmond, #23
Zach Blankenship, Bixby, #26
Kaden Glass, Sand Springs, #28

Anthony Ferrari is #6. Willie says he may have lost a wrestle-off at Blair, which is absolutely loaded in the lower weights.

I think a key to contending again for team titles is having no "missed years". The 2016 class was a miss for us. We need to string multiple solid classes together. It would be great if we add 1 or 2 more studs for 2020, then get little Mastro, Haas, Young & Picklo in 2021, then a few OK kids in 2022.

This is a ways off, but Flo has updated their 2022 Big Board (yes, they are only freshmen!) and there are 4 Oklahoma kids in the top 28.

Jordan Williams, Tulsa, #17
Bam West, Edmond, #23
Zach Blankenship, Bixby, #26
Kaden Glass, Sand Springs, #28

Anthony Ferrari is #6. Willie says he may have lost a wrestle-off at Blair, which is absolutely loaded in the lower weights.

I think a key to contending again for team titles is having no "missed years". The 2016 class was a miss for us. We need to string multiple solid classes together. It would be great if we add 1 or 2 more studs for 2020, then get little Mastro, Haas, Young & Picklo in 2021, then a few OK kids in 2022.

Wishlist for recruiting the next few years:

2020:
AJ Ferrari and/or Braxton Amos
Jakason Burks
Robert Howard and/or Julian Tagg

2021:
Little Mastro
Tate Picklo
Kyle Haas
Victor Voinovich
Carter Young
Alex Facundo

2022:
Ryan Crookham
Nic Bouzakis
Anthony Ferrari
Jordan Williams

Last edited:
With Cassar seeking a 6th year of Eligibility should we be persuing Nick Nevills as a stop gap before we can develop whoever is in the wings (Doucet/Neo kid)

I was able to watch Doucet live this week and if he gets to 260 pounds he will be a freak heavyweight when it comes to being Athletic. Super super quick first step

With Cassar seeking a 6th year of Eligibility should we be persuing Nick Nevills as a stop gap before we can develop whoever is in the wings (Doucet/Neo kid)

I would imagine we will explore any and all similar opportunities.

I believe Nevills is a senior. Singletary remains a possibility, he beat Mason Parris at an Open and has reclaimed his starting spot.

Win HS rankings are out. Team rankings show Blair#1,Wyoming Seminary#2,Montini Catholic #3, Bergen Catholic#4, Lake Highland Prep #5, St.Edward,#6,Detroit Catholic #7,Bethlehem Catholic#8,Erie Cathedral #9,Tuttle,OK #10,Broken Arrow #12.
106 #12 Jordan Williams Freshman Collinsville
113 Carter Young #20 Soph SS
126 Reece Witcraft #2 Sr.BA OK State recruit
132 #15 Caleb Tanner Jr.Collinsville
145 Luke Surber #20 Jr.Tuttle
152 OU had 2 wrestlers ranked #6 and #9. Daniel Manibog Sr.Katy, Tx. OK State recr,
#17 Tate Picklo Soph Tuttle
160 Brevin Balmacedo #2 Sr.Florida (not shown as OK State Committment-Why?
170 #3 Dustin Plott Jr. Tuttle OK State commitment Kharchla #1 and Ramirez #2 both Srs.
182 Zane Coleman Choctaw Sr. committed to Az St.
195 #13 Gavin Potter B.A. (committed to K-St. in football #15 Talon Borror Sr. Coweta
220 #7 Konner Doucet Jr. Comanche Jr. (committed to OK State) #10 Zach Marcheselli Sr. B.A. ,#11 Josh Heindselman Sr. Piedmont OU Committment
HWT #15 Montana Phillips Sr. Lawton Mac

I took driad's post as a lighthearted joke, like saying he hated Kharchla for committing to tOSU. It didn't offend me, but I can see how some might not like it.

But the hypocrisy is too much. BanjoSaysWoof, you were repulsed? Really? I read the Iowa board (AKA "the cesspool"), many others on here do as well. Did you forget what you posted about Cael Sanderson and PSU fans?

I took driad's post as a lighthearted joke, like saying he hated Kharchla for committing to tOSU. It didn't offend me, but I can see how some might not like it.

But the hypocrisy is too much. BanjoSaysWoof, you were repulsed? Really? I read the Iowa board (AKA "the cesspool"), many others on here do as well. Did you forget what you posted about Cael Sanderson and PSU fans?

No such thing as a lighthearted joke that uses a slur.

No such thing as a lighthearted joke that uses a slur.

Have you ever been to a comedy club?

Some people choose to be offended by things and some do not. I'm not going to tell someone how they should feel and I don't expect anyone to tell me what I should think either.

Borrer to ou.
Revised. Thoughts & prayers to this young lad for choosing a 2nd rate wrestling program that is so terrified of it's in state rival that it will not wrestle twice as is tradition for the good of the sport. Is that better? Now let's get the thread back to recruiting targets.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
' '

obe, I had all those youngsters linked on the spreadsheet. Think it has fallen off somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: oberebo
Have you ever been to a comedy club?

Some people choose to be offended by things and some do not. I'm not going to tell someone how they should feel and I don't expect anyone to tell me what I should think either.
I wasn't offended-just think other descriptions would be more appropriate for a young man that has worked that hard to get somewhere, even if it is somewhere else.

Scoundrel, scalliwag, turd, all come to mind. Am I aging myself?

Revised. Thoughts & prayers to this young lad for choosing a 2nd rate wrestling program that is so terrified of it's in state rival that it will not wrestle twice as is tradition for the good of the sport. Is that better? Now let's get the thread back to recruiting targets.

I like to use this one in such situations:

giphy.gif

I think Borror's decision is a smart move if he wants much of a chance to start. We just got an 84 with Montalvo and he may be pushed out down the road at 84. I believe Montalvo is at least a level better than Borror. The high school young man's decision makes sense. I sure hope we get some more top notch recruits soon. I struggle with Patience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT