ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Targets

I have heard that Carter Young has moved to Stillwater to work with the RTC.

I think that would signal our chances with him are very good.

I have heard that Carter Young has moved to Stillwater to work with the RTC.

I think that would signal our chances with him are very good.

Young posted in mid Nov that he had transferred to Stillwater. He's very tight with Daton.

Cliff Keen standings right now...
UNI 4th
Utah Valley 8th
Wyoming T11th
NDSU 18th
-
-
Sooners 22nd. Demas was their only placer (took 4th)

Well there you go! He moved to train with Cowboy RTC so that's got to be a good thing.

Yeah, I think it's extremely likely we land Young & Kyle Haas, and fairly likely we land little Mastro. Picklo is a wildcard.

Young posted in mid Nov that he had transferred to Stillwater. He's very tight with Daton.

Cliff Keen standings right now...
UNI 4th
Utah Valley 8th
Wyoming T11th
NDSU 18th
-
-
Sooners 22nd. Demas was their only placer (took 4th)

Ouch.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Another guy to keep an eye on...

Flo has an article about new faces at Blair. One is Rylan Rogers out of WA. Sure enough, he's the cousin of Jordan and Chandler. Don't know anything about him, but hopefully he gets friendly with the Ferraris and Mastros.

Maybe when PSU crowns 10 individual champions the NCAA will decide to take a look at the program.

Zeb Miller asked AJ Ferrari and Braxton Amos which schools they were considering and they both wouldn't say. Seemed pretty clear though that RTCs and training partners will be a key for Ferrari.

Unless we announce the funding for several RTC senior level members prior to his announcement then I agree.
With the whole family moving to NJ Rutgers will be in the mix.Penn st ,Ohio St,Rutgers,Cornell and Princeton.All of those schools will be ahead of
Okie st

All have great RTC coaches & post grad athletes training
I am very tired of this situation where administration and Coach Smith has let us get so far behind compared to Penn. St. and Ohio St. with RTC's, coaches and facilities. Maybe we have plans with facilities but no action yet. With the situation we get good wrestlers but few great wrestler(Fix) while PennSt gets way more great wrestlers and Ohio gets more good wrestlers than us and a few more great wrestlers than we do. We are not getting to 35 without big changes. That information about Ferrari at this point would indicate we don't get Ferrari. I think Plott is a great wrestler, Older Mastro is a very good wrestler but not great, Doucette is a good wrestler. Witcraft impressed me where he could be a very good wrestler where before I thought he was a depth providing wrestler. Wrestler tend to go up and down except the real greats like Nolf, Retherford, Nickell, the 65 for Penn St, Lee, Snyder and Dieringer. Look at Nolf last year with real knee problems and he dominates at Nationals. These guys almost always win against strong opponents and win decisively. Most of our guys against highly rated opponent win sometimes and lose sometimes and therefore place 5th or 8th or don't place. Maybe winning 35 isn't going to occur but isn't it sad when the administration even admits to ignoring wrestling at Oklahoma State.

It's frankly amazing how little $ we seem to have. We can't even afford a "full time" volunteer coach? When Issac Jordan left we never replaced him, so Alex has been filling that void (that's why he sits on the bench with the coaches). So we have 2 senior level athletes (Alex & Klimara) and a part time volunteer coach? Wow.

Forget about Ferrari for a moment, who would be the training partners for Braxton Amos if he came? He needs 195/285 & 97 kg guys to roll around with. IMO it's absolutely critical that we get an upper weight senior athlete/volunteer coach as a first step. I hope Derek White is an option.

It's frankly amazing how little $ we seem to have. We can't even afford a "full time" volunteer coach? When Issac Jordan left we never replaced him, so Alex has been filling that void (that's why he sits on the bench with the coaches). So we have 2 senior level athletes (Alex & Klimara) and a part time volunteer coach? Wow.

Forget about Ferrari for a moment, who would be the training partners for Braxton Amos if he came? He needs 195/285 & 97 kg guys to roll around with. IMO it's absolutely critical that we get an upper weight senior athlete/volunteer coach as a first step. I hope Derek White is an option.

I think a big part of it is that we don't have anyone who is out selling the vision.

Our AD is currently pushing for a lead donor for the facility portion which is great but should be secondary in my opinion but it's much harder to raise money for employment of senior level wrestlers if there isn't someone who is out selling that vision and giving donors a clear understanding of what an RTC is and why it is a necessity for our continued success.

I would go as far to say that if we don't establish a well funded RTC with several supported senior level positions we will not win another NC here at Oklahoma State.

Great discussion lead by 2082, 17 & Harley. My understanding is that Mike Holder not only reads but almost always responds to emails. If you have not yet expressed your thoughts and concerns on a new facility and a RTC, you should.

I think a big part of it is that we don't have anyone who is out selling the vision.

Our AD is currently pushing for a lead donor for the facility portion which is great but should be secondary in my opinion but it's much harder to raise money for employment of senior level wrestlers if there isn't someone who is out selling that vision and giving donors a clear understanding of what an RTC is and why it is a necessity for our continued success.

I would go as far to say that if we don't establish a well funded RTC with several supported senior level positions we will not win another NC here at Oklahoma State.

Spot on. Wish every fan, alum, donor, and administrative official would read this post. I can't imagine that John hasn't told Holder this exact thing.

Totally agree. But I guess the next question is why don't we have someone spearheading the initiative?

I have to think both John & Mike know it's a vital role. Do you think they are just having trouble identifying someone suitable? In today's landscape the head coach is often the lead fundraiser, but maybe John is just not comfortable in that role. Still, there has to be someone in the administration or an alum that would be a good fit.

Totally agree. But I guess the next question is why don't we have someone spearheading the initiative?

I have to think both John & Mike know it's a vital role. Do you think they are just having trouble identifying someone suitable? In today's landscape the head coach is often the lead fundraiser, but maybe John is just not comfortable in that role. Still, there has to be someone in the administration or an alum that would be a good fit.

I don't think John is very comfortable in this role and is also so tied into coaching, training and recruiting that I don't know if he has been able to have detailed discussions with our AD as to what is needed and the timeline of the entire need.

Yes we will probably look to raise $15-20 million for the entire project but a lead effort to raise $2-3 million to instantly fund the RTC could be focused on and done initially.

The final and larger step of the fundraising can take more time. This is the area I know our AD is currently working on but I'm not sure if he fully understands the immediate need or how this can be broken up.

As a outsider and just a fan of the sport how did Oklahoma State let this go for so long? RTC have been going on for awhile now just baffles me how they let so many smaller programs pass them up.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
As a outsider and just a fan of the sport how did Oklahoma State let this go for so long? RTC have been going on for awhile now just baffles me how they let so many smaller programs pass them up.

I think it just sort of snowballed. We weren't having a problem landing elite recruits or competing for NC's with the way we were doing things and all of sudden this whole deal has gotten away from us and the RTC's have exploded in terms of numbers and importance.

I think Coach Smith may have also been one who felt these would get regulated and stripped down by the NCAA (there is still that thought out there).

With the whole family moving to NJ Rutgers will be in the mix.Penn st ,Ohio St,Rutgers,Cornell and Princeton.All of those schools will be ahead of
Okie st

Rutgers won’t be in the mix.

I am a Rutgers fan. I’d love for him to come to Rutgers.

It won’t happen.

I think it just sort of snowballed. We weren't having a problem landing elite recruits or competing for NC's with the way we were doing things and all of sudden this whole deal has gotten away from us and the RTC's have exploded in terms of numbers and importance.

I think Coach Smith may have also been one who felt these would get regulated and stripped down by the NCAA (there is still that thought out there).
I really do believe that John thinks what Penn State is doing is against the rules. I am no attorney but the promises they make seem to flout the rules. I guess we just need a test case to determine this. The problem is it does not seem to get any attention since it is in a non-revenue sport and people with the money to pursue it are not usually wrestling fans.

No doubt John thinks what PSU does with recruiting is against the rules.

John may very well believe that the RTC model is "broken" (I certainly do) and that it will be overhauled and regulated at some point - but is our strategy then to just sit it out and wait for that to happen? If so, it may be a long wait.

Reactions: osu2082
Rutgers won’t be in the mix.

I am a Rutgers fan. I’d love for him to come to Rutgers.

It won’t happen.
Anthony is doing Strength & Agility training at the same place as Suriano now imagine you knew that. Plus AJ and Donny speak the same language which is intensity.And he will be in the room for SKWC practices which can't hurt

I can see that happening.Im not sure the NCAA is actually wanting to stop RTC as much as the other coaches are.The only thing they can do is say no RTC can be run out of the room.Then people will build a new RTC building across the street .As long as wrestling stays in the Olympics RTC aren't going anywhere

Iowa , Ohio State and Rutgers to a point have decided to join the circus and play the RTC game that PSU Has created And learned to use to make promises to recruits.

Reactions: colcord
These schools aren’t operating these RTCs in secret. The NCAA knows what’s going on and apparently don’t care. They benefit USA wrestling and as well as the sport. If we don’t join the party we will continue to fall further behind.

I can see that happening.Im not sure the NCAA is actually wanting to stop RTC as much as the other coaches are.The only thing they can do is say no RTC can be run out of the room.Then people will build a new RTC building across the street .As long as wrestling stays in the Olympics RTC aren't going anywhere

Correct but the current RTC model (which I very much want OSU to utilize) is at its core against NCAA rules in several ways. The NCAA could absolutely make dramatic changes to how these RTC's are setup, funded and ran.

College programs are essentially able to run and facilitate a professional team and use the potential of money and support in their recruitment of amateur athlete. Had this setup happened in football, basketball or baseball it would have already been shut down. Wrestling doesn't draw the eyeballs but if that changes the NCAA as an organization has zero care about how it affects the olympics or senior level wrestling.

Correct but the current RTC model (which I very much want OSU to utilize) is at its core against NCAA rules in several ways. The NCAA could absolutely make dramatic changes to how these RTC's are setup, funded and ran.

College programs are essentially able to run and facilitate a professional team and use the potential of money and support in their recruitment of amateur athlete. Had this setup happened in football, basketball or baseball it would have already been shut down. Wrestling doesn't draw the eyeballs but if that changes the NCAA as an organization has zero care about how it affects the olympics or senior level wrestling.
Not saying the NCAA cares about the Olympics. My point was as long as freestyle stays a Olympic sport RTC will have the backing they need to keep operating.They will move off campus if need be.Just like college football players that train at different sports performance centers in the offseason.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT