ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Targets

TheJimReaper

Starter
Aug 23, 2018
Oklahoma
With Balmaceda off the board, that leaves 3 top 20 who are still uncommitted. Those guys are Kharchla, Starocci, and Lovett. We're in Kharchla's and Lovett's top schools and Starocci hasn't released a list yet.

Does anyone think we go after all of them of just Kharchla and Lovett? I also wonder if Balmeceda committing means Luchau is out?

Balmaceda is a good pickup. He has a nice reach single and he's good on top with the crab ride and a roll through tilt. I am concerned about his gas tank though. Interested to see how he does at WNO vs Facundo.

Kharchla is the key for us with this class. If we can beat out tOSU for him that would be huge. Location and the RTC will likely be big factors, but I'm hoping that Alex as a workout partner will work in our favor.

Haven't seen us connected to Starocci. The chatter seems to be that Lovett is Nebraska bound, but he would be a good fit for us. Luchau is probably no longer a priority unless Balmaceda projects to 165 (better gas tank there?). Even then, I like Daniel Manibog for 157.

Reactions: osudog and osu2082
Balmaceda is a good pickup. He has a nice reach single and he's good on top with the crab ride and a roll through tilt. I am concerned about his gas tank though. Interested to see how he does at WNO vs Facundo.

Kharchla is the key for us with this class. If we can beat out tOSU for him that would be huge. Location and the RTC will likely be big factors, but I'm hoping that Alex as a workout partner will work in our favor.

Haven't seen us connected to Starocci. The chatter seems to be that Lovett is Nebraska bound, but he would be a good fit for us. Luchau is probably no longer a priority unless Balmaceda projects to 165 (better gas tank there?). Even then, I like Daniel Manibog for 157.

He’s a high school kid. They all have gas tank issues at that age lol (says the old man typing).

Reactions: Wrassler17
He’s a high school kid. They all have gas tank issues at that age lol (says the old man typing).
Balmaceda got beat 7 to 3. Facundo a sophomore ( number 1 sophomore in the country) was the better wrestler. He said that he observed tape and Balmaceda doesn't have good conditioning and so wanted to wear him out and the dominate in the third. Exactly what happened. Burks lost 6 to 4 at 113 to Diakomlis. I remember seeing of pictures of Burks visiting us. He is a 2020 recruit, I believe.

Last edited:
With Balmaceda off the board, that leaves 3 top 20 who are still uncommitted. Those guys are Kharchla, Starocci, and Lovett. We're in Kharchla's and Lovett's top schools and Starocci hasn't released a list yet.

Does anyone think we go after all of them of just Kharchla and Lovett? I also wonder if Balmeceda committing means Luchau is out?

Kharchla looked great! Hope his coming visit is also great.

Balmaceda got beat 7 to 3. Facundo a sophomore ( number 1 sophomore in the country) was the better wrestler. He said that he observed tape and Balmaceda doesn't have good conditioning and so wanted to wear him out and the dominate in the third. Exactly what happened. Burks lost 6 to 4 at 113 to Diakomlis. I remember seeing of pictures of Burks visiting us. He is a 2020 recruit, I believe.

Facundo will be in the conversation as the top pound for pound wrestler in his class. He is also a bigger wrestler than Balmaceda.

Balmaceda is a fantastic prospect. Ranked as the #1 157 prospect regardless of class.

I would be curious to see Kharchla in folk style against some of these too level guys.

Kharchla vs. Plott is super interesting to me. You would love to have both. If you could only take one who do you take?

Kharchla seems like a better prospect but do you just take Plott because he is local to ensure your strangle hold on the state?

Hypothetically of course?

I take both, cause I'm greedy.

But, I actually like Plott better. Sure he got beat by Kharchla in free, but there is a year's difference in development. Local kid. Big upside. Very coachable from what I have seen.

Kharchla vs. Plott is super interesting to me. You would love to have both. If you could only take one who do you take?

Kharchla seems like a better prospect but do you just take Plott because he is local to ensure your strangle hold on the state?

Hypothetically of course?

Prospect wise they are very close. Kharchla is better in freestyle and Plott might have an edge in folkstyle at this point.

But in terms of which would be better for the program, I say Kharchla. First because I think Kharchla is the more likely to be a 165 in college. But also because he would get us back into Ohio (and his dad is a club coach there). Much easier for coach Smith to target a local guy going forward than to gain a foothold in Ohio.

That said I want them both!

I almost don't think you can allow a prospect like Plott go to OU. Now that's not the reason you take him over the Ohio kid but it plays a role. Gun to my head I think Plott may be the tad better folkstyle prospect but the speed of which Carson has jumped levels is incredible.

They won't end up wrestling the same weight in college I don't think so taking both is very possible. I'm mot sure we can pull Carson out of Ohio though.

I almost don't think you can allow a prospect like Plott go to OU. Now that's not the reason you take him over the Ohio kid but it plays a role. Gun to my head I think Plott may be the tad better folkstyle prospect but the speed of which Carson has jumped levels is incredible.

They won't end up wrestling the same weight in college I don't think so taking both is very possible. I'm mot sure we can pull Carson out of Ohio though.

That was kind of my thinking. You don't want to give OU any instate recruiting momentum with Plott. That being said, I'm with you. I don't think we can pull the kid from Ohio.

Reactions: osu2082
That sucks. We will need a 141/149 pounder. Has anyone heard anything about if we're in on Jesse Vasquez or Josh Saunders?
I have never heard the coaches talk about a specific recruiting target during the process. Only way I have found out is if the kid announces a list, or a visit, or someone else announces it for them. Maybe I am just sheltered....

I have never heard the coaches talk about a specific recruiting target during the process. Only way I have found out is if the kid announces a list, or a visit, or someone else announces it for them. Maybe I am just sheltered....

I thought we recruiting Jesse Vasquez at one point because people on here were talking about him.

Thought I heard Saunders is a heavy Cornell lean. They have recruited extremely well the past 3 years.

Kharchla is the key for us.

Thought I heard Saunders is a heavy Cornell lean. They have recruited extremely well the past 3 years.

Kharchla is the key for us.

Yeah I heard the Flo guys say they thought he was a Cornell lean.

2020 could be a really good class for us if we get Ferrari, Plott, Vasquez, Burks and Doucet that would take care of all our major needs.

interesting comments from the track article:

“Me, Doucet and Mastro have been around each other since seventh grade when we started training at Buxton’s,” Plott said. “When we got together in Stillwater, we talked about getting the same group of good wrestlers and good guys as a whole at OSU to win a national championship.”

Said Mastrogiovanni: “We talked about making a dream team from when we were little kids, and there are still a few other guys who we were talking to that want to hop on board.”

A couple familiar names appear in this lineup for the Buxton Red Beards in 2016.

Leading the way for the Red Beards were the following:

75 Stevo Poulin

80 Angelo Ferrari

85 Cole Skinner

90 Cooper Stewart

95 Nic Bouzakis

100 Zac Creeden

105 Greg Diakomaholis

112 Trevor Mastrogiovanni

119 Jackson Dean

127 Elan Heard

135 Dustin Plott

142 AJ Ferrari

154 Gage Hockett

165 Cade Cook

180 Konner Doucet

230 Braxton Amos

Last edited:
interesting comments from the track article:

“Me, Doucet and Mastro have been around each other since seventh grade when we started training at Buxton’s,” Plott said. “When we got together in Stillwater, we talked about getting the same group of good wrestlers and good guys as a whole at OSU to win a national championship.”

Said Mastrogiovanni: “We talked about making a dream team from when we were little kids, and there are still a few other guys who we were talking to that want to hop on board.”

A couple familiar names appear in this lineup for the Buxton Red Beards in 2016.

Leading the way for the Red Beards were the following:

75 Stevo Poulin

80 Angelo Ferrari

85 Cole Skinner

90 Cooper Stewart

95 Nic Bouzakis

100 Zac Creeden

105 Greg Diakomaholis

112 Trevor Mastrogiovanni

119 Jackson Dean

127 Elan Heard

135 Dustin Plott

142 AJ Ferrari

154 Gage Hockett

165 Cade Cook

180 Konner Doucet

230 Braxton Amos

Climb aboard!

Since Kharchla picked Ohio State who should we go for? Maybe take Luchau and have Brevin go 165? Another option could be Jesse Vasquez. Flo has him as a 165 pounder although who knows if he will actually get that big.

Since Kharchla picked Ohio State who should we go for? Maybe take Luchau and have Brevin go 165? Another option could be Jesse Vasquez. Flo has him as a 165 pounder although who knows if he will actually get that big.

According to Luchau, he doesn't think 49 is out of the question for him. If he could make that for a couple years, that would make a pretty awesome middle of the lineup for us in the near future.

IMO, Luchau is very limited offensively. He has a non explosive double and a headlock, I don't think either will work against high level guys. That's why he was handled by a guy that weighed 10 pounds less than him at WNO.

125 - priority recruit
133 - Daton, then Mastro
141 G, followed by priority recruit
149 Daniel Manibog, then little Mastro
157 Brevin
165 Travis
174 Dustin
184 Anthony Montalvo
197 AJ Ferrari (beg him, cut his lawn, whatever it takes)
285 Konner

Reactions: osu2082 and driad
IMO, Luchau is very limited offensively. He has a non explosive double and a headlock, I don't think either will work against high level guys. That's why he was handled by a guy that weighed 10 pounds less than him at WNO.

125 - priority recruit
133 - Daton, then Mastro
141 G, followed by priority recruit
149 Daniel Manibog, then little Mastro
157 Brevin
165 Travis
174 Dustin
184 Anthony Montalvo
197 AJ Ferrari (beg him, cut his lawn, whatever it takes)
285 Konner

Love the lineup. Maybe add Burks in at 125. Getting Howard would be an absolute godsend if he stays at 25. Does anyone know our chances at Howard by the way? I thought I saw that he worked out with Fix leading up to Final X but I'm not sure now.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Love the lineup. Maybe add Burks in at 125. Getting Howard would be an absolute godsend if he stays at 25. Does anyone know our chances at Howard by the way? I thought I saw that he worked out with Fix leading up to Final X but I'm not sure now.

Daton also helped prepare Howard for the Youth Olympics (he won gold). Sounds like they hit it off. Not sure what schools he's considering, but he would be a great pickup.

Would love to get Howard and Burks.

Geez could you imagine that recruiting class? If we got all these guys?

Ferrari
Howard
Plott
Vasquez
Mastro
Burks
Doucet

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT