ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Targets

Pistols Firing has an article out about Ferraris recruitment. He said that us and Rutgers were the main ones. He also said he was interested in PSU and Ohio State.

He also said that he really looks up to John Smith. Soooo...that can't be bad news.
They were at the Rutgers dual hanging around before the dual and stayed around and were the last ones to leave.Gravina is gonna be on Bergen Catholic staff next year.The atmosphere at Rutgers is electric and they're in the Big 10.I said months ago that Rutgers would be in the mix.If you watch the Ashnault interview on Flo after the dual you will see Ferraris in the background talking.

They were at the Rutgers dual hanging around before the dual and stayed around and were the last ones to leave.Gravina is gonna be on Bergen Catholic staff next year.The atmosphere at Rutgers is electric and they're in the Big 10.I said months ago that Rutgers would be in the mix.If you watch the Ashnault interview on Flo after the dual you will see Ferraris in the background talking.

Rutgers is definitely in the mix. They need to make a statement in March and have one of their guys win a title if they want to land them IMO.

Flo updated their 2020 Big Board

Plott #2
Mastro #10
Doucet #24

AJ Ferrari #1
Jakason Burks #15
Julian Tagg #17
Luke Surber #54
Dominic Chavez #88
Flo 2021 class has Travis Mastro is rated 4, Tate Picklo is rated 6, Kyle Haas is rated 21, Cougar Anderson 36 and Carter Young 41. Also Van Ness has been mentioned on this forum is rated 3.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Anyone have any idea on Picklo? You would think OU falling off a cliff would help us.

Kyle Conel from Kent State is in the transfer portal, finished 3rd last year beating Kolin Moore twice in the process. Arm injury derailed him this year and he has been granted a partial release. Would hopefully get one year back, maybe two as a grad transfer, the year before last he only wrestled one match. He recently rerweeted Seth from PFB.

Reactions: BrettOSU17
Conel is really fun to watch wrestle. He was everyone's favorite (not my team) wrestler in Cleveland last year.

Preston Tech'd Conel in the dual here last year. That was a heck of a change-but don't think he would have made it out of the 1st round if Preston hadn't gotten hurt.

Kyle Conel from Kent State is in the transfer portal, finished 3rd last year beating Kolin Moore twice in the process. Arm injury derailed him this year and he has been granted a partial release. Would hopefully get one year back, maybe two as a grad transfer, the year before last he only wrestled one match. He recently rerweeted Seth from PFB.
Could he go at heavy for us next year?

Anyone have any idea on Picklo? You would think OU falling off a cliff would help us.

Despite his parents having strong OU ties, Tate seems to really take well to OSU. He would be an outstanding pickup for OSU and I hope we are in on him as soon as we are allowed to start the recruiting process. I suspect around the time he is able to be recruited, OU will be going through another coaching change. That's the only wild card I see.

Flo 2021 class has Travis Mastro is rated 4, Tate Picklo is rated 6, Kyle Haas is rated 21, Cougar Anderson 36 and Carter Young 41. Also Van Ness has been mentioned on this forum is rated 3.

The freshmen Big Board is out. Some guys that have been mentioned before and other possible targets...

Daniel Cardenas #3 (120)
Anthony Ferrari #7 (113)
Zach Blankenship #21 (120, Bixby)
Bam West #24 (126, Edmond)
Kaden Glass #30 (182, Sand Springs)
Jordan Williams #33 (113, Tulsa)
Rylan Rogers #52 (152)
Devin Wilson #75 (195, Shiatook)

i started looking around, it seems as though Oklahoma is loaded in the lower/middle weights for the next few years, but the upper weights have yet to distinguish themselves. Be interested in how it plays out.

Reactions: osu2082
Just listened to the coach's show. While talking about the upcoming Iowa dual, John mentioned that both OSU & Iowa are recruiting the same guy. Wonder who it is?

We could get Teasdale pretty cheap. Psu still has him on their under the counter payroll for the next 3 years

According to the Iowa board, Willie Saylor is saying Conel to PSU. That was pretty quick. A couple of weeks after Teasdale leaves, they're already in on Conel.

According to the Iowa board, Willie Saylor is saying Conel to PSU. That was pretty quick. A couple of weeks after Teasdale leaves, they're already in on Conel.

Conel is a great story and good wrestler but is a borderline AA type guy. Geer up at 197 would have the chance to be very comparable IMO.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Conel is a great story and good wrestler but is a borderline AA type guy. Geer up at 197 would have the chance to be very comparable IMO.
At the National Preps both Mastro brothers are in the semi's. Trevor won by 2 techs and a pin, and Travis wins by pin, a default win and a major. This event is on Flo.

Reactions: osu2082 and tfpoke
At the National Preps both Mastro brothers are in the semi's. Trevor won by 2 techs and a pin, and Travis wins by pin, a default win and a major. This event is on Flo.
Witcraft 132 is in the finals with 2 decisions including 8 to 2 over Colt Newton in the semi's. Blankenship 120 is the finals with 2 pins. Carter Young is in the semi's with 2 majors at 26. Tate Picklo is in the finals with a pin and a major. Cougar Anderson is in the finals at 52 with a pin and a major. Plott is in the 70 finals with 2 1st period pins. Surber 52 is in the finals with 2 1st period pins.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Witcraft 132 is in the finals with 2 decisions including 8 to 2 over Colt Newton in the semi's. Blankenship 120 is the finals with 2 pins. Carter Young is in the semi's with 2 majors at 26. Tate Picklo is in the finals with a pin and a major. Cougar Anderson is in the finals at 52 with a pin and a major. Plott is in the 70 finals with 2 1st period pins. Surber 52 is in the finals with 2 1st period pins.
With Kansas Cade Lindsey lost in the semi's to a freshman Quentin Saunders 170 who might be someone to watch for the future. Willis is in the finals at 82 with a pin and a major. Kyle Haas in Kansas 5A is in the 182 finals with 3 matches wins and none of the matches got out of the 1st period. Also in Oklahoma Konner Doucet is 39-0 and is in the finals with 2 tech falls.

Both Mastro brothers made the finals with 3 to 2 decisions.
Trevor M won 5 to 2 against the 8th rated wrestler in the country for the 120 championship..Coliocco won at 26 and I wonder how 120 Mastro does against Coliocco in the practice room. Bartlett beat Van Ness 20 to 13 at 132, great match. Travis Mastro 38 won 10 to 2 and he is very impressive especially being only a sophomore.

Last edited:
Reactions: oberebo and osu2082
With Kansas Cade Lindsey lost in the semi's to a freshman Quentin Saunders 170 who might be someone to watch for the future. Willis is in the finals at 82 with a pin and a major. Kyle Haas in Kansas 5A is in the 182 finals with 3 matches wins and none of the matches got out of the 1st period. Also in Oklahoma Konner Doucet is 39-0 and is in the finals with 2 tech falls.
Quentin Saunders a freshman from Wichita was the Kansas 6A State Champ at 170, he is a freshman who won 10 to 0 in the finals. He beat Oklahoma State signee Cade Lindsay in the semi"s. Kyle Haas a sophomore with a 44-1 record won 5A at 182 and Wills won 9 to 3 to win 6A 182 championship with a 33-5 record.

Last edited:
Quentin Saunders a freshman from Wichita was the Kansas 6A State Champ at 170, he is a freshman who won 10 to 0 in the finals. He beat Oklahoma State signee Cade Lindsay in the semi"s. Kyle Haas a sophomore with a 44-1 record won 5A at 182 and Wills won 9 to 3 to win 6A 182 championship with a 33-5 record.

Lindsay beat Saunders last week at regionals but then Saunders avenged the loss. Same with Carter Young, he beat John Wiley last week. Trackwrestling has the KS matches archived for viewing.

Our other recruits...

Daniel Manibog took 1st at 160 in TX 6A. Looks like he had a close match in the semis but otherwise dominated.

Chance McClane won at 152 in MT 2A a couple of weeks back.

Balmaceda is still wrestling.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After many visits and deep thought I’ve decided to commit 100% to Oklahoma State! Thank you to all the coaches who have expressed interests in me and the coaches who have got me here! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoPokes?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#GoPokes</a> <a href="https://t.co/GNjYxpcEOi">pic.twitter.com/GNjYxpcEOi</a></p>&mdash; Jakason Burks (Juh-Kay-Son) (@thekid_jwb) <a href="">February 24, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

thought i should share this good news

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After many visits and deep thought I’ve decided to commit 100% to Oklahoma State! Thank you to all the coaches who have expressed interests in me and the coaches who have got me here! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoPokes?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#GoPokes</a> <a href="https://t.co/GNjYxpcEOi">pic.twitter.com/GNjYxpcEOi</a></p>&mdash; Jakason Burks (Juh-Kay-Son) (@thekid_jwb) <a href=" ">February 24, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

thought i should share this good news

Nice!

He's 15 on Flo's 2020 big board and Im pretty sure he made the Cadet world Greco Roman wrestling team.
So is that 4 top 20 for 2020? If Doucet is not quite top 20, he is deserving. Can they add Ferrari? Bigger things coming to an already big time program!

Burkes seems like a great pick up. Can someone tell me the elite recruits coming in to OSU next year ( highschool seniors now) and the year after? John said the other day that OSU has to take its recruiting to the next level, recruiting back east with elite recruits to support the great kids we get in Oklahoma. Is there another Fix coming in the next 2-3 years?

So is that 4 top 20 for 2020? If Doucet is not quite top 20, he is deserving. Can they add Ferrari? Bigger things coming to an already big time program!
Jakason Burks is a Junior,and a two time Nebraska state champ. He won Fargo this year at 113 and he is currently ranked by Flo as #3at 120 and #16 on the Junior big board. He was the U.S. Greco champ also and was on the world team at 113 pounds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT