141 #3 Dean Heil vs. # 18 Tommy Thorn
149 #8 Anthony Collica vs. Miles Patton NR
157 Chance Marsteller vs.Brandon Kingsley NR
165 #1 Alex Dierenger vs. Dylan Urbach NR
174 #2 Kyle Crutchmer vs. #18 Nick Wanzek
184 Nolan Boyd vs. Chris Pfarr NR
197 Jordan Rogers or Austin Schafer vs. #6 Brett Pfarr
hwt Tanner Allen vs. Michael Kroells

Again, these are my predicted matchups, not official and I would be shocked if there was not a change or two.
Austin Marsden not in lineup due to suspension for flagrant misconduct. I think John will go with Chance Marsteller tomorrow but Ryan Blees is a possibility. Probably does not matter who we wrestle at 197 against Pfarr. I predict victory in the first 8 weights with losses possibly bonus points at the last two weights.
We had better wrestle better than Friday night or we will suffer more than two losses. With the exception of Klimara and Boyd we looked like we did not want to do more than squeak by the South Dakota State opponents. I agree with Goose that SDSU was better than expected but we also made them look better than they should have and in the case of Heil, Dierenger, and Collica we made them look much better. In no way do I condone what Austin Marsden did but at least he showed some semblance of emotion which was definitely lacking in most of the other matches.

On the bright side, Marsden doesn't have to go through as heavy a gauntlet with his suspension. He was initially supposed to have Kroells tomorrow, then Gwiz next Sunday, and Ross Larson the Sunday after that!

Jake Short should return at 149

Pokes favored at 125,141,149, 165,174,184

MN favored
133 (slightly), 197, 285

Toss up 157

For Gophers to win they need the following to happen. These are not my predictions just a scenerio that would lead to victory.

125- Hold Klimara to a decision 0-3
133- win 3-3
141- pull an upset at this weight or the next 6-3
149- see above- 6-6
157- win 9-6
165- hold to tech(Urbach will be very outmatched) 9-11
174- hold to decision 9-14
184- hold to decision 9-17
197- win, major 13-17
285- pin, or a major brings to criteria. 19-17

Cowboys will hope to have a better performance than they had against SDSU

Don't remember all the scores but
125 Klimara dec
133 Brancale Maj Harding
141 Heil Dec Thorn
149 Short Dec Collica
157 Kingsley 3-2 over Marstellar( looked like he was trying a strategy to conserve energy most offense he had was in the third but it wasn't a lot)
165 Dierenger Tech
174 Crutchmer by Pin
184 Boyd by Dec
197 Pfarr Maj J Rogers (rather see Boyd here he seems more suited for 197 then Rogers good effort tho)
285 Kroells Dec Schaefer 7-3
OSU Wins 20-17

Last edited:
Anthony had a banged up ankle and took and injury timeout late in the 3rd after nearly missing a takedown attempt that would have broke the 1-1 tie. Short wins 2-1
Schaefer pinch hits at 285. Stayed off his back and actually got a takedown of his own. Rogers stayed off his back except one time as well but nearly gave up the TF. Crutchmer with the pin padded the lead enough to give us the chance for a win.
Marstellar didn't gas out but didn't wrestle hard either. Hes trying everything to figure this weight cut thing. Im shocked he didn't find a way to win.
Willie said Marsden had to miss this match due to the foul. So is that all he misses?
Dean Heil was really solid beating Thorn. He took quality shots and converted all of them but got rode hard in the third. Still he won comfortably over a tough wrestler.

I really enjoyed the FLO coverage. Good roving camera, good announcers, elevated mat and good crowd. Sort took the sting out of the football loss. ok maybe not.

I watched the match on flo. Klimara wrestled solid. Harding seems to have regressed from his freshman year and he seems poor on his feet. He can't seem to shoot much of a takedown and fair wrestlers get on his legs easy. He then battles but loses most of the takedowns. Unless Harding starts wrestling way better I think Kaid will need to come out of redshirt. Heil was solid again and does a nice job of working and getting control for a takedown. Collica has now wrestled well in any of the duals this year. He hurt his ankle near the end of this match which cost him. Marsteller at least wrestle some the whole match but didn't get 1 takedown. Hopefully he continues to progress with more and more energy in his 157 matches or Smith will need to come out of redshirt. Dieringer seemed wrestle more like himself but his opponent was not strong. Crutchmer won the dual for us. Boyd was okay, Rogers should not be wrestling 197 but at least he didn't give up and get teched. HWT way undersized but battled. We sure do not look like a team that would challenge for a Championship but it is early.

Heil was impressive in his match. He controlled the match except for getting off the bottom in the third, and he handled a ranked opponent most of the match. It was good to see 165 look like his old self and Crutchmer's throw was awesome. If Boyd could score points in relationship to his effort, he would win it all. We have to respect Schafer's work as a heavy. Giving up 65 pounds and having a chance to win with less than a minute to go was more than we could ask for. Great job!

It still seems there are questions at 33, 57, J. Rogers. Harding looked terrible, even my 8 year old son said "Dad, is he not very good?" I just patted him on the head and said, "Not right now, but it early in the season." What I meant was.........hurry up scuffle, I want to see how Brock does. Moving on, Marsteller.......man, looked worse than Iowa at the start, but at least he wrestled more throughout the match this time.....I don't think his tank has improved much, maybe a little. Rogers is a great wrestler, hell he wrestles for Ostate. But I've noticed when he starts getting down, he quits, like he can't come back. When Pfarr was releasing him to try to get the tech, Rogers just walked away and turned around nonchalantly, as if he didn't care, it was terrible to watch. Collica got hurt, otherwise he would have won that match, but he seems timid these last two matches, not doing much on offense.

It still seems there are questions at 33, 57, J. Rogers. Harding looked terrible, even my 8 year old son said "Dad, is he not very good?" I just patted him on the head and said, "Not right now, but it early in the season." What I meant was.........hurry up scuffle, I want to see how Brock does. Moving on, Marsteller.......man, looked worse than Iowa at the start, but at least he wrestled more throughout the match this time.....I don't think his tank has improved much, maybe a little. Rogers is a great wrestler, hell he wrestles for Ostate. But I've noticed when he starts getting down, he quits, like he can't come back. When Pfarr was releasing him to try to get the tech, Rogers just walked away and turned around nonchalantly, as if he didn't care, it was terrible to watch. Collica got hurt, otherwise he would have won that match, but he seems timid these last two matches, not doing much on offense.
I did not post yesterday until I could reflect on the disappointing start to this season and the three duals we have wrestled to date.
I will start with the positives in my opinion.
125 Despite a bad start against Gilman at Iowa Eddie has wrestled well and in his last two matches has been dominant. He does not match up well with Gilman for whatever reason but with continued improvement he should be a two time All-American. He gives his best in every match.
141 Dean Heil has won all of his duals this year. He his ranked #1 in some polls but he seems only to wrestle to the level of his competition and there are lulls in his matches where he is content to only win even if only ahead 1-2 points. He does not remain aggressive throughout the match and therefore leaves himself open to losing by a late takedown. He needs to be aggressive during the whole match. That being said he fought for three takedowns against a very good wrestler yesterday.
165 I believe the long bus ride and a big weight cut for Alex contributed to a lack luster performance in South
Dakota. Forget that he was wrestling a redshirt freshman yesterday he would have dominated anyone in his weight class with his performance against Minnesota. He will be a three time national champion and a four time all-American in March. Two of his takedowns yesterday were as crisp and technical as any I have ever witnessed in over 55 years of watching.
174 Kyle Crutchmer won the match for us yesterday and is starting to wrestle like he did late in the season last year and he will place high at nationals and could win it all in March.
184 I do not care who wins the ranking matches in the room Nolan Boyd should be our starter at 184. He will beat wrestlers that Jordan Rogers can not. Rogers is a threat for a pin but Boyd puts out maximum effort in every match he wrestles. He totally dominated his opponent yesterday even though the score was 4-1. He had 4:02 in riding time and was never in trouble.
I am not going to pick out individual wrestlers and criticize them individually and everyone knows that at 133,157,197 we are woefully inadequate so far. I do not believe we can improve on our performance at 197 as we do not appear to have a horse in the stable better than Schafer. We have freshman at 133 and 157 that are better than our current starters and John is going to have to make a decision probably at or after the Southern
Scuffle as to whether he will pull their redshirts. Based on performances so far at these weights I have changed my mind and feel it is imperative that he let Kaid Brock and Joe Smith into the lineup.
285 Austin Schafer should be commended for going up in weight and wrestling well against a ranked heavyweight. Austin Marsden is paying for a immature action in his last match and as a senior should not have been in that position. This year Austin needs to atone for his poor showing at Nationals and he has the ability to do it.He will be wrestling against #1 next Sunday and regardless of winning or losing he needs to be aggressive and he definitely too big, strong and experienced to be dominated. This match is important to his improvement.

Just going off of Coaches post match commented he still seems to feel confident Chance can get his weight cut down and have a chance this year.

He seemed pretty disappointed in Harding and it sounds as if Brock has a real shot.

You could tell he was happy and proud of Schafer and that confidence could get him in the lineup at 197 IMO.

I thought the takedown attempt selection of Harding was confusing. He does not have the leverage to pull off those shots and that guy made him pay. I think this is another case of just a terrible matchup for Harding as he will beat better guys that this, but he had no answer for the guys length.

I will wait to have an opinion of 133 and 157, hopefully the SS will help sort it out. As far as 184/197 are concerned I think Boyd at 197 is the best option. 184 is loaded and I don't see either guy making the podium. Pfarr was ranked near where Boyd was at 184, but jumps way up at 197. 197 is much thinner and Boyd has the frame to bulk up there. Rankings aren't the end all, but they show the difference in depth between 184 and 197.

I love it that we have Flo coverage. More people can follow Oklahoma State Wrestling. Willie and CP make it exciting. I noticed the flow of the match was pretty quick so they guys were not left to fill in dead air time.

I will wait to have an opinion of 133 and 157, hopefully the SS will help sort it out. As far as 184/197 are concerned I think Boyd at 197 is the best option. 184 is loaded and I don't see either guy making the podium. Pfarr was ranked near where Boyd was at 184, but jumps way up at 197. 197 is much thinner and Boyd has the frame to bulk up there. Rankings aren't the end all, but they show the difference in depth between 184 and 197.
I disagree with you about 184 and 197. Maybe 197 is thinner from 1-20 but take the first 1-10 and I see no real difference at all.
1 Gabe Dean 2. Vic Avery 3 BlakeStauffer 4 Hayden Zilmer 5. Jack Dechow 6. Timothy Dudley 7. Nathaniel Brown
8. Willie Micklus 9. Lorenzo Thomas 10 Willie Miklus
1 Morgan McIntosh 2. J'den Cox 3. Conner Hartman 4 Nathan Burak 5 Max Huntley 6 Brett Pfarr 7 Brett Harner
8 Jake Smith 9 Zach Nye 10 Nate Rotert

After reviewing this in my opinion 197 is the tougher weight and Nolan Boyd would be undersized. He would give it his all but it would be a real uphill battle. He is better at 184 and he will beat a lot of people that Rogers will not. In my opinion he should not have to do this. As you say however the Southern Scuffle will determine this for the most part.

I disagree with you about 184 and 197. Maybe 197 is thinner from 1-20 but take the first 1-10 and I see no real difference at all.
1 Gabe Dean 2. Vic Avery 3 BlakeStauffer 4 Hayden Zilmer 5. Jack Dechow 6. Timothy Dudley 7. Nathaniel Brown
8. Willie Micklus 9. Lorenzo Thomas 10 Willie Miklus
1 Morgan McIntosh 2. J'den Cox 3. Conner Hartman 4 Nathan Burak 5 Max Huntley 6 Brett Pfarr 7 Brett Harner
8 Jake Smith 9 Zach Nye 10 Nate Rotert

After reviewing this in my opinion 197 is the tougher weight and Nolan Boyd would be undersized. He would give it his all but it would be a real uphill battle. He is better at 184 and he will beat a lot of people that Rogers will not. In my opinion he should not have to do this. As you say however the Southern Scuffle will determine this for the most part.
You might be right, I'm just looking at Boyd keeping close while way undersized with Burak who is fourth at 197. He beat Brooks last year, but was out wrestled by him. Brooks is not even top 10 and rightfully so. Brooks was r12 last year, all AAs return with the possible of exception of courts who might lose his spot. Last year Boyd went 1-2 and Pfarr went 0-2 and now that Pfarr has jumped up he is ranked 6. I just don't see a odium finish at 184 no matter what we do, I really think Boyd can make it at 197. With his 6'+ frame I think he could grow into the weight.

Courts won't lose that spot that wrestle off didn't hold much at all same with your situation at 184 except Kenny's an AA he's been out because he was banged up a bit

Courts won't lose that spot that wrestle off didn't hold much at all same with your situation at 184 except Kenny's an AA he's been out because he was banged up a bit
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure. Main point was everyone at the weight returns and a guy who went 0-2 at NCAAs at 184 is now sixth at 197.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
No problem I know what you mean I'd rather see Boyd at 97 instead of Rogers if Smith is going to keep having one of them go there

No problem I know what you mean I'd rather see Boyd at 97 instead of Rogers if Smith is going to keep having one of them go there
Nywrestler, I agree Boyd is the better choice at 197 but Boyd is also the better choice at 184.Neither wrestler is going to place at 197. NolanBoyd is wasted at 197 and he has a chance to place at 184. Rogers has no chance to place at either weight Of course this is just my opinion and you may be right but in reading what John said last week on his show I do not believe either will be at 197. I believe it will be either Austin Schafer or true freshman Andrew Marsden at 197. We are not going to place there but by taking Boyd from 184 just ensures that we will not place at either weight. We will see how this plays out at Chattanooga and Earl G and I will be there to see it.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
Nywrestler, I agree Boyd is the better choice at 197 but Boyd is also the better choice at 184.Neither wrestler is going to place at 197. NolanBoyd is wasted at 197 and he has a chance to place at 184. Rogers has no chance to place at either weight Of course this is just my opinion and you may be right but in reading what John said last week on his show I do not believe either will be at 197. I believe it will be either Austin Schafer or true freshman Andrew Marsden at 197. We are not going to place there but by taking Boyd from 184 just ensures that we will not place at either weight. We will see how this plays out at Chattanooga and Earl G and I will be there to see it.
I guess we just see this differently, I think Boyd has a better chance at 197 than 184. Like you said we will see how it plays out, Coach will get the best team on the team on the mat, I'm sure of that.

I guess we just see this differently, I think Boyd has a better chance at 197 than 184. Like you said we will see how it plays out, Coach will get the best team on the team on the mat, I'm sure of that.
April I believe Boyd is the best at either weight. If you do not buy this then I can see how you would differ and you could be right. Review the overall record of both Boyd and Rogers Boyd beat some highly ranked wrestlers last year at 184.Rogers did not. Review their record this year and Rogers has lost at both weights. Boyd has won his matches at 184 and was representative at 197 against Burak. However he kept it close, he did not score and there was not even a hint that he would score. He had no missed shots and had to be content with a couple of escapes. I believe Rogers would have been teched at this weight. I am not saying Rogers should be at either weight. We are not going to place at 197 no matter who wrestles there but Schafer has a better chance than Rogers at 197. There is nothing in Jordan's record for the past three years to indicate he could score points at Nationals. Boyd has proved he can beat top ten wrestlers. I respect your opinion and again you could be right. We will see at the Southern Scuffle.

Boyd is the best option at 184, I think he will be at 184 for the rest of the year. I have also noticed a trend and John seems to do this, at least has the last couple of duals where if 184 is a for sure win, I mean like a gimme, and 197 is a tough match, if it means a possible dual lose, Boyd would wrestle 197 and Rogers or someone else could go at 184. But I think Boyd will always weigh in at 184 to wrestle at NCAA's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT