ADVERTISEMENT

HBO's Game of Thrones [April 13]

I've been wondering how they were going to make the war against the walkers interesting. Just seemed like the dragons could fry everything.

This Arya / Sansa thing is still bugging me.

I think he
I've been wondering how they were going to make the war against the walkers interesting. Just seemed like the dragons could fry everything.

I wonder if Ayra doesn't have herself a LittleFinger mask now....

I think he

I wonder if Ayra doesn't have herself a LittleFinger mask now....

I don't know... Seems like she got herself played and is still unaware of it.

Reactions: Been Jammin
HBO writers are so awesome.

- army of the dead logistics officers have been dragging with them several hundred feet of heavy chain thru blizzard conditions just in case they find a dead dragon to pull out of a lake. How fortuitous! A lake that by all accounts should have been frozen solid long, long ago since...Winter is Here.

- Great idea not bringing ravens along on the brilliantly conceived 'let's prove this to Cersei!' mission north of the wall. Good thing Gendry (who hasn't ever even seen snow) can so cunningly navigate blizzard conditions at speed and collapse of exhaustion mere feet from the Eastwatch gate. Gendry + Raven just made the Kessel Run in less than 11 parsecs.

- How is Thoros the only one of the All-Star team to die in this suicide mission, while every other Star Trek redshirt nobody perish? What happened to the show we all fell in love with, when major characters both good and bad would die unexpectedly? You know, back when cold men, birds, and dragons couldn't traverse thousands of miles in a day?

- Sansa and Arya's dialogue was beyond compelling....
...and Bran continues to stare at the wall and do nothing helpful whatsoever beyond sending out ravens stating what Jon and others knew all along (they are coming)

- Darn that Benjen Stark, not helping Jon until he miraculously found himself alone. Too bad in the excitement Benjen forgot that horses can carry 2 men. But I'm sure after 7 years north of the Wall there wasn't anything important he could have shared with him to counter the WW threat.

- And what's up with these bizarre Westeros water currents that sweep Jamie 2 miles clear of danger (while wearing heavy armor to boot) and Jon several hundred yards clear of the wights?

Plenty of jaw-dropping spectacle but to say there are massive plot holes of late is being generous.

Last edited:

- army of the dead logistics officers have been dragging with them several hundred feet of heavy chain with them thru blizzard conditions just in case they can pull a dead dragon out of a lake. How fortuitous! A lake that by all accounts should have been frozen solid long, long ago since...Winter is Here.

- Great idea not bringing ravens along on the brilliantly conceived 'let's prove this to Cersei!' mission north of the wall. Good thing Gendry (who hasn't ever even seen snow) can so cunningly navigate blizzard conditions at speed and collapse of exhaustion mere feet from the Eastwatch gate. Gendry + Raven just made the Kessel Run in less than 11 parsecs.

- Sansa and Arya's dialogue was beyond compelling....
...and Bran continues to stare at the wall and do nothing helpful whatsoever beyond sending out ravens stating what Jon and others knew all along (they are coming)

- Darn that Benjen Stark, not helping Jon until he miraculously found himself alone. Too bad in the excitement Benjen forgot that horses can carry 2 men. But I'm sure after 7 years north of the Wall there wasn't anything important he could have shared with him to counter the WW threat.

Plenty of jaw-dropping spectacle but to say there are massive plot holes of late is being generous.

All of these, plus after a few months of sub zero temps the ice is only a couple of inches thick, but after 1 day it refreezes enough to support the army again.

Also, the NK was about 50 yards from Drogon, which was sitting still, with all of them on his back. But throws his spear at the dragon flying hundreds of yards away.

- And what's up with these bizarre Westeros water currents that sweep Jamie 2 miles clear of danger (while wearing heavy armor to boot) and Jon several hundred yards clear of the wights?

I didn't think he moved as much he just stayed underwater until they moved away. That lake wasn't that big. As you said it should have been frozen solid. Besides the minor problem of not breathing for at least half an hour shouldn't he have died of hypothermia long before he got out of the lake must less to the wall. I mean they waited until he was on the boat to even take his wet frozen clothes off. Maybe its another sign he has Targayen blood.

I didn't think he moved as much he just stayed underwater until they moved away. That lake wasn't that big. As you said it should have been frozen solid. Besides the minor problem of not breathing for at least half an hour shouldn't he have died of hypothermia long before he got out of the lake must less to the wall. I mean they waited until he was on the boat to even take his wet frozen clothes off. Maybe its another sign he has Targayen blood.

He definitely didn't move. Came up right where he dropped Longclaw.

Some other things, not yet mentioned, bothered me about the episode.

What's the deal with 1 WW separated from the others with about 8 undead body guards? What's the point? Is he a scout? Why would they need a scouting party?

Why would they send an undead bear out ahead of their army? Why not keep such a powerful weapon with them?

Why not use that big hammer and walk around the edge of the island breaking up the ice, rather than standing there waiting for it to get thicker?

What happened to all the giants we saw, marching with the WW army a few episodes back?

WTF was all that dialogue at Winterfell? Did Littlefinger suggest to Sansa that Brienne would possibly take Arya's side and that is why Sansa sent Brienne to KL?

What is Littlefinger's endgame? Is he trying to make Sansa Queen of the North so he can gain power through her? If so, why would he risk revealing Sansa's letter when it is likely to turn the Northern Lords against her?

Brienne warned Sansa about Littlefinger. If she is so distrustful of him, why hasn't she been doing what she can to prevent him from influencing Sansa/playing his games.

Why is Arya suddenly acting like she doesn't have the ability to think logically? (maybe it is her time of the month).

Reactions: SouthWestOKPoke
RrJ8k5G.jpg

The Arya/Sansa stuff annoys me. The Starks have been punching bags the whole series and as soon as we get them back together we get them fighting? I thought the episode had a lot of cool scenes but it had the most eye roll moments of maybe any episode ever.

In the "On the next episode" scenes does it look like they are meeting at Summerhall? That is pretty cool.

In relation to GOT v. ASOIAF....

"The Dragon Has 3 Heads" has been an overwhelming theme of ASOIAF. The prevailing theory is that this means that we will see 2 additional dragon-riders (with Dany being the 3rd). To me, this suggests that we will not see the books go in the same direction as the show, with one dragon being killed north of the wall and revived as an ice dragon. Or, if it does happen, it will be with a rider on the dragon's back.

GRRM is an infinitely better writer than the clowns at HBO, so I am sure we won't see chains magically appear to drag a dead dragon back up through the ice.

But, it will be interesting to see how things play out, because 3 dragons vs undead army would seem to be a huge mismatch.

The Arya/Sansa stuff annoys me. The Starks have been punching bags the whole series and as soon as we get them back together we get them fighting? I thought the episode had a lot of cool scenes but it had the most eye roll moments of maybe any episod that are they fightinge ever.

In the "On the next episode" scenes does it look like they are meeting at Summerhall? That is pretty cool.

Not only after all that, are they fighting, but none of the Starks but Jon are even likable any more.

I just can't figure out if there is more to Sansa or if she is just suffering from bad writing. At the beginning of the season she seemed like she was now a tough, independent person. Now she just seems to be insecure and once more a pawn of Littlefinger.

Not only after all that, are they fighting, but none of the Starks but Jon are even likable any more.

Bran acts like he does not because he's the Three Eyed Crow, but rather numb from seeing Arya and Sansa wander around Winterfell being passive-aggressive whiny bitches.

Reactions: CBradSmith
With travel at the speed of light readily available, who else thought maybe Sam would be there to pull Jon from the lake and say "Oh, by the way you're a Targaryen and Dany is your aunt." lol

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Bran acts like he does not because he's the Three Eyed Crow, but rather numb from seeing Arya and Sansa wander around Winterfell being passive-aggressive whiny bitches.

I get Bran not being Bran anymore. But the Three Eyed Crow held onto more humanity after being stuck to a tree in the middle of nowhere for 70 years. Bran is basically Dr Manhattan sitting on mars detached from all emotion. Sansa is back to being a 14 year old twit, and Arya has turned into the liquid terminator character.

"The Dragon Has 3 Heads" has been an overwhelming theme of ASOIAF. The prevailing theory is that this means that we will see 2 additional dragon-riders (with Dany being the 3rd). To me, this suggests that we will not see the books go in the same direction as the show, with one dragon being killed north of the wall and revived as an ice dragon. Or, if it does happen, it will be with a rider on the dragon's back.

GRRM is an infinitely better writer than the clowns at HBO, so I am sure we won't see chains magically appear to drag a dead dragon back up through the ice.

But, it will be interesting to see how things play out, because 3 dragons vs undead army would seem to be a huge mismatch.
Some other things, not yet mentioned, bothered me about the episode.

What's the deal with 1 WW separated from the others with about 8 undead body guards? What's the point? Is he a scout? Why would they need a scouting party?

Why would they send an undead bear out ahead of their army? Why not keep such a powerful weapon with them?

Why not use that big hammer and walk around the edge of the island breaking up the ice, rather than standing there waiting for it to get thicker?

What happened to all the giants we saw, marching with the WW army a few episodes back?

WTF was all that dialogue at Winterfell? Did Littlefinger suggest to Sansa that Brienne would possibly take Arya's side and that is why Sansa sent Brienne to KL?

What is Littlefinger's endgame? Is he trying to make Sansa Queen of the North so he can gain power through her? If so, why would he risk revealing Sansa's letter when it is likely to turn the Northern Lords against her?

Brienne warned Sansa about Littlefinger. If she is so distrustful of him, why hasn't she been doing what she can to prevent him from influencing Sansa/playing his games.

Why is Arya suddenly acting like she doesn't have the ability to think logically? (maybe it is her time of the month).

The scouting party didn't bother me as they were pretty close by, and the wright started screaming as he would if he were part of a scouting party. I wondered about the bear as well, but didn't we see a dead horse sort of wondering along on its own at some point? Maybe the NK doesn't have much control over the animals unless they are riding them. Maybe he just says "Rise and randomly f** s** up"

Your explanation of that whole Brienne thing makes more sense than anything I could come up with. I thought LF was trying to get Sansa to use Brienne take care of Arya in some way. Him suggesting that Arya might use her makes more sense...but its not like Arya needs any help.

If LF is in the ear of the other houses, he may be planning to take over WF all on his own. Let Arya expose Sansa as a traitor, get Brienne out of there. Remind the Northerners that it was he who saved Winterfell, Unite the North and the Vale and the wildlings and ride south to take over.

Best written part of this episode was the conversation between Tormund and The Hound. I even liked how it started..

"You're the one the called "the dog", aren't you?"

"**** off"

Between Tormunds explanation of keeping warm to Gendry, comment about making due without women, and "D*&*, I like that", I guess we know how they kept from freezing to death on the rock. The only one that froze was the holy roller.

tumblr_ot93kxvrLc1qcbk34o2_400.gif

Last edited:
I agree with so much that's been said so far. Also this wasn't in the episode, but it kinda annoyed me was the showrunners calling Benjen, Coldhands continually in the inside the episode.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Him throwing the rock was great. As soon as it skipped on the ice I said to myself "Oh fu...". Of course that was the Hounds reaction.

Haha I laughed my ass off when he and Tormund were chatting.

Hound "You wanna suck my dick?"
Tormund "Dick?" (Not comprehending the word)
Hound "Cock"
Turmond "Ah, dick...I like it" (the word)
Hound "I bet you do"

Best exchange of the night was between Tormund and the Hound about Brienne.

How does she look at you?” the Hound asked him. “Like she wants to carve you up and eat your liver?”

“You do know her!”

“We’ve met.”

Last edited:
Say what you want about fast travel etc, but HBO is still on schedule. GRRM's solution to this kind of stuff was to have characters missing from entire books

I've never minded characters traveling 1000 miles in 20 minutes of screen time, just when timelines don't add up. Like them being on the rock for apparently 1 night when there is no way for Danny to get word and arrive in less than 4 or 5. Or Vary's going from Meereen to Dorne and back in what story line wise seemed to be a week or 2. There's a difference between jarring editing, and plot holes. Johns traveled several thousand miles and fought a war in the time the white walkers traveled a couple hundred miles (Granted, maybe they've just been chilling out since hardhome).

The scouting party didn't bother me as they were pretty close by, and the wright started screaming as he would if he were part of a scouting party. I wondered about the bear as well, but didn't we see a dead horse sort of wondering along on its own at some point? Maybe the NK doesn't have much control over the animals unless they are riding them. Maybe he just says "Rise and randomly f** s** up"

Your explanation of that whole Brienne thing makes more sense than anything I could come up with. I thought LF was trying to get Sansa to use Brienne take care of Arya in some way. Him suggesting that Arya might use her makes more sense...but its not like Arya needs any help.

If LF is in the ear of the other houses, he may be planning to take over WF all on his own. Let Arya expose Sansa as a traitor, get Brienne out of there. Remind the Northerners that it was he who saved Winterfell, Unite the North and the Vale and the wildlings and ride south to take over.

It makes sense about the Bear. Its not a domesticated animal so even as a wright the animals retain there original characteristics. Makes how much control the Nightking will have over the zombie dragon.

It makes sense about the Bear. Its not a domesticated animal so even as a wright the animals retain there original characteristics. Makes how much control the Nightking will have over the zombie dragon.

Seems pretty likely that he will ride undead Viserion and have as much control over it as Dany does over Drogon.

Which doesn't jibe with undead bear not accompanying the army, but it is a small complaint.

A couple more topics for discussion...

What's up with Tyrion being so hung up on Dany's plan for succession after she is queen? Seems like a stupid thing to be concerned about at this point. A lot of dominoes need to fall before that even becomes something worth discussing.

Along those lines...I'm thinking that they are setting the scene for Dany and John to end up ruling Westeros together and for Dany to be miraculously pregnant. Not sure if they will have everyone figure out that they are actually aunt/nephew, or if that will be a tidbit that the viewer knows, but the characters never figure out.

Wondering how Samwell is incorporated back into the story at this point.

How about Melisandre? Seems kind of strange that she would spend so much time warning everyone about the Night King, then hop on a boat right as the s is about to hit the f.

What's up with Tyrion being so hung up on Dany's plan for succession after she is queen? Seems like a stupid thing to be concerned about at this point. A lot of dominoes need to fall before that even becomes something worth discussing.

I don't think it is all that weird. Even if she is not on the Iron Throne it is probably important to have some kind of plan. I take it is Tyrion wants this movement to not just fall apart if she dies. She keeps flying off into battle so I'm sure it is on her mind.

I'd be shocked to see both Danerys and Jon alive at the end, even with HBO making up 90 percent of the story.

A couple more topics for discussion...

Along those lines...I'm thinking that they are setting the scene for Dany and John to end up ruling Westeros together and for Dany to be miraculously pregnant. Not sure if they will have everyone figure out that they are actually aunt/nephew, or if that will be a tidbit that the viewer knows, but the characters never figure out.

Wondering how Samwell is incorporated back into the story at this point.

How about Melisandre? Seems kind of strange that she would spend so much time warning everyone about the Night King, then hop on a boat right as the s is about to hit the f.

Yeah unless it was foreshadowing, that conversation seemed odd. Honestly, everything about Tyrion has been odd since he has returned. Not a fan of dumbing him down.

Btw, was anyone else sliiiiightly hoping snow was dead just for the "holy f%*¿¿" .ness it would have caused? I really figured Tormund was gone.

Is he? he's taking 7 years to write a book, D&D have months to write out 1 season. Book 5&6 were so freaking slow and boring compared to books 1,2 and 3. So if it takes Martin 7 years to get out of the mess he has put him self into can you really blame D&D if they're having some issues getting out of that mess when they only have a few months?

Reactions: CowboyJD

No, the book will explain that time went by while they were getting the chains. There are a lot of theories that the Night King is a greenseer and lured them into a trap so that he could get a dragon. So, he may have had them ready close by.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT