ADVERTISEMENT

Crutchmer

driad

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2009
Any word on his injury? At the dual Friday some folks were saying he had broken something, don't know if they knew anything. Thanks! Sorry if you guys posted this already.

Any word on his injury? At the dual Friday some folks were saying he had broken something, don't know if they knew anything. Thanks! Sorry if you guys posted this already.
When he mouthed to coach it looked like he said he broke it. I have no clue, but thatcwas my first thought.

Same thing happened to Collica against Jake Short, and he wouldn't put any weight on it. The thing that makes me hopeful is Crutchmer finished the bout and even tried to get a take down. The average person's initial thought is they broke something when an injury happens, hah, I do it all the time. I was wrestling with my kids last week and got kicked in the mouth, I was sure my teeth were pointing to the back of my throat, but they weren't. I think it's a natural reaction to think the worst. At least he walked on it. I bet he'll be back for conference champs.

Same thing happened to Collica against Jake Short, and he wouldn't put any weight on it. The thing that makes me hopeful is Crutchmer finished the bout and even tried to get a take down. The average person's initial thought is they broke something when an injury happens, hah, I do it all the time. I was wrestling with my kids last week and got kicked in the mouth, I was sure my teeth were pointing to the back of my throat, but they weren't. I think it's a natural reaction to think the worst. At least he walked on it. I bet he'll be back for conference champs.
It was good to see him finish on it and to be aggressive enough to even get a stall call.

Taking the injury out of the equation he has been trending downward over the last month or so.

If and when he is healthy he will need to change direction quickly and get back to wrestling like he is capable.

What early on looked like a weight where a semi-final appearance looked very likely could now be in jeporady of an AA.

If healthy AND fully tuned in I am a big fan of KC.

I think John Smith prepares for duals differently than other coaches. If we have two duals in a weekend, one on Friday and the other on Sunday. John will work out the wrestlers on Friday. My gut feeling is that KC and others are just not as aggressive on takedowns when they come into a match after already having worked out. This will change tournament time and OKState wrestlers will be more aggressive.
I think Kyle will outperform at the NCAA's like he did last year.
Highly ranked teams always sustain an upset or two at the NCAA tournament that is very painful. When you come in to a tournament with a #1 seed there is no chance of outperforming your seed, but tons of downside.

I think John Smith prepares for duals differently than other coaches. If we have two duals in a weekend, one on Friday and the other on Sunday. John will work out the wrestlers on Friday.
Just curious...what makes you believe John's doing something different than other coaches by working them out on the day of the dual? Because we did it at our JuCo. I'm having a hard time believing John's the only coach that has thought of this.

Reactions: giddyup
I have always wondered the "training differently" statements.

Most likely, there aren't that many differences. Maybe the recommended way to pull weight? Maybe competition day practice that is tougher than most? Maybe beating up the body earlier so that recoup isn't as much an issue? I have always been curious how our training may differ?

I do think that we treat the season as "practice" for the NCAAs, whereas the schedule may be attempted to hold at a similar or slightly tougher pace. Maybe it is a rotation of ex-studs that rotate through a weight or group of Wrestlers?

I think John works out the wresters the day of the Friday match and does not really care if they win the dual or not. He is focused on getting the most out of the wrestler in March.
I truly think that philosophy is different than most coaches. They may work out the day of a match, but other coaches do take into consideration that there is a match.

From watching Klimara on Friday, do you really think he was fresh for that match?

I think we are reading too much into whether they worked out on Friday or not. If the dual went like the one with OU in dec we would not have this conversation. Maybe they were just a bit flat, maybe some of the OU wrestlers got better, maybe it just was not some of the guys best matches. Maybe Cornell worked Dean to hard???? Point being...I don't think the workout or non workout had anything to do with it. If any of us could figure how to get 100 percent maximum performance every time out then we could all quit our jobs cause we just answered one of life's most difficult questions! Just my thoughts!

I think it's been obvious the past 5-10 seasons that Smith works his guys hard through the dual season, seldom getting breaks for a dual. About 5 years ago, I think he quit doing this for some of the big duals (like ou, Iowa). He made some comments after losing to the squatters a few times, that he was going to take that approach. Not sure how all that really plays out, but it does seem to be a trend. Not sure that Friday night was approached either way.

I think our wrestlers were a bit flat as they were exhausted in the third period on Friday. It seemed to be less of a factor the later in the dual we went. Heil looked a little tired and was contemplating a turn and appeared to reassess his position and thought he would just ride out. You could see him working for the tilt and when he could not get the turn it looked like a light bulb turned on and he just rode him out and quit trying to turn him as he had earlier in the match.

I think John works out the wresters the day of the Friday match and does not really care if they win the dual or not. He is focused on getting the most out of the wrestler in March.
I truly think that philosophy is different than most coaches. They may work out the day of a match, but other coaches do take into consideration that there is a match.

From watching Klimara on Friday, do you really think he was fresh for that match?
Obviously, Klimara was not "fresh" for the match. However, any number of factors could have been the reason. John has said even on his show that if you can not practice hard the day before the match and recover you are not in shape. I do not believe that was the reason for Klimara looking gassed even in the first period. He could have not cut his weight right, might have had that bug going round or just was not mentally ready. You are correct that John believes in pushing them this time of year and they always seem ready for Big 12 and Nationals. I think it is a strength and not a fault in his coaching technique.

Changing gears a bit.... When is next coaches poll?
Not sure, but a friend of mine got a text from one of the kids he used to coach today that said he received his bid to nationals. I think he provsbly means he got an allocation. He is on the ACC, said its up to the conference for his conference seeding.

According to the radio show last night, Crutchmer is day to day, but nothing too serious I think, I had kids screaming in the back of the car, it was kinda hard to hear. Also heard Joe is hurt or sick or something, he wont wrestle this weekend either.

Again, and I'm just asking, but you think only John works his guys out the day of, or before a match? Because, and I have no proof either way, I'm not buying that. I like John's attitude about using duals as a way to prep for March.

And if my hypothesis holds true, Milhoff worked out as well. And I can point to way more OU wrestlers over the years who seemed to be more tired than you can OSU wrestlers who seemed tired. :)

According to the radio show last night, Crutchmer is day to day, but nothing too serious I think, I had kids screaming in the back of the car, it was kinda hard to hear. Also heard Joe is hurt or sick or something, he wont wrestle this weekend either.
Joe is hurt and will likely not wrestle this weekend. Do not know the extent of the injury but it is an injury and not an illness.

Without Crutchmer this weekend, I think that gives Rogers a chance to rebound against #18 Harvey from Army. Parsons is kind of in a drought, he beats the better than average, and looses to the ranked, which is not good cause I like the Army team. Interested to see who goes at 157.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT