ADVERTISEMENT

Killing a program

Starocci and Plott being on the same level at one time is hard to believe.These PSU dudes have a different mindset and drive.

We need more black guys on the team.They are just strong and fast period.Don’t really know how else to say it but look at PSU,Carr,McKee,Lewis,Monday,etc.

Casey Cunningham… make him an offer he can’t refuse. Redshirt Plott, young, vv and Surber let them have a year training with new coaching staff were right back in it
I think the next coach should redshirt the whole team.Also coach mentioned getting transfers.Who wants to come to OSU? Kids from programs below the top 20?

Reactions: bwel9339
Vito handles RBY 10-4. Seriously how he gets down to 133 is a mystery. Daton isn’t beating Vito even if his life depends on it unless Vito moves up or down. Daton will forever be a runner up

Reactions: driad
Vito handles RBY 10-4. Seriously how he gets down to 133 is a mystery. Daton isn’t beating Vito even if his life depends on it unless Vito moves up or down. Daton will forever be a runner up
This has been the best session to watch with 3 Penn. St. finalists losing ( Haines, Kerkvliet and Young). Vito was quicker and longer than Roman.

I was referring to John's interview today, he didn't mention the RTC.

BTW, Seth also has an interview with the CowboyRTC president on Rokfin. Gives some updates.
How many times tonight, have you seen a throw option?

Kids are so far from it, they don’t know how.

This has been the best session to watch with 3 Penn. St. finalists losing ( Haines, Kerkvliet and Young). Vito was quicker and longer than Roman.
So far, the Big 10 has 3 champions. They lost at 25, 33, 41, 57, in the finals with 49 also a strong possibility with Yianni against Sasso. Also has no finalists at 65 and 97.

So far, the Big 10 has 3 champions. They lost at 25, 33, 41, 57, in the finals with 49 also a strong possibility with Yianni against Sasso. Also has no finalists at 65 and 97.
Ivy League with 3, Big Ten with 3, Big 12 with 2, ACC with 2.

Assistant AD for wrestling. $50k salary to show up for recruiting and show a few moves. Keep 1-2 assistants max if they warrant, for recruiting, not necessarily as full assistants. Hire Pop, Pendleton, Burroughs, or somebody great.
found our new coach

Shades of 2016 when PSU also had 3 losses in the finals. And with Woods losing for Iowa, they went a combined 2-4. One of the few bright spots.
Only 2 for 5 in the finals. Cael’s on the hot seat!

Honestly though, Vito looked awesome. He wrestled perfectly. Still a great career for RBY. He was a pleasure to watch.

Reactions: bwel9339 and JAY45
Only 2 for 5 in the finals. Cael’s on the hot seat!

Honestly though, Vito looked awesome. He wrestled perfectly. Still a great career for RBY. He was a pleasure to watch.
Thanks for letting me know a PSU fan enjoyed watching RBY.

And that a PSU fan would scour message boards looking for slights.

Wouldn't have guessed either.

But if then have to start recruiting guys who’s technique fits this model right? Greco guys preferably. I like the creative small stylistic changes that could make a big difference if proven effective.
I can't think of a single guy at Penn State in the last ten years that was a Greco type guy.

I can't think of a single guy at Penn State in the last ten years that was a Greco type guy.
It’s part of a discussion that is generating ideas on how to improve our situation. He’s not talking about throwing out 10 Greco only guys.

But, I’d consider Nickal as a guy that fits the description we are rolling around.

Good technique with an ability to throw and did throw some crazy stuff frequently.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
It seems to come down to recruiting athletes. Daton Fix came in as skilled as a wrestler can get. He developed to the best he could possibly be. Our wrestlers are just not as quick as the high level competition. Also we are not quite as strong at funk as much of the higher finishing team. John got 10 wrestlers qualified, but with injuries and lack of talent could not get over the hump.

Slights? Sorry if it came off that way. Not my intention. I said Vito looked awesome. Beating Fix and RBY was amazing for him. Just someone that enjoys wrestling, no bad vibes intended.
Looking for slights, not dishing them out. You replied to my post about 3 PSU guys losing in the finals.

Read some of the other message boards. Many PSU posters look for snubs and feel compelled to defend the program on rival sites.

Maybe that doesn't apply to you. But frankly the insecurity is tiresome. And no bad vibes here either.

Looking for slights, not dishing them out. You replied to my post about 3 PSU guys losing in the finals.

Read some of the other message boards. Many PSU posters look for snubs and feel compelled to defend the program on rival sites.

Maybe that doesn't apply to you. But frankly the insecurity is tiresome. And no bad vibes here either.
The fans I interacted with at the tourney were actually nice folks.

Message board fans are terrible...fire away!

I can’t speak for how others are acting or what they’re posting.

I agree it’s weird for fans to look for negativity, especially when PSU has been in the midst of a successful decade.

I agree it’s weird for fans to look for negativity, especially when PSU has been in the midst of a successful decade.
Slights? Sorry if it came off that way. Not my intention. I said Vito looked awesome. Beating Fix and RBY was amazing for him. Just someone that enjoys wrestling, no bad vibes intended.
Good vibes are earned, not given out freely! Have you watched OK State wrestling recently besides Daton Fix? Tell us your take on why OSU has fallen so far and what we can do to be competitive again, and maybe you can receive a vibe token :)

I jest, somewhat. An outsider’s perspective would be interesting though. We kind of get caught in an echo chamber at times here.

It’s super weird and incredibly insecure.

Penn St. wrestling is the envy of every program and it should be enjoyed gracefully. On the internet it’s anything but graceful, in person, it’s alright. I enjoyed the Penn St. fans I interacted with this week.

Even ran into RBY this morning and he was a polite guy.

John Smith on coming back next year. “I think I’ll be back. They may can my ass, I don’t know?”
I found that article which stated those quotes. Also indicated that he needs to reevaluate everything. He has not been a fan of the transfer portal but does not mention the training center error which most of us believe was such a downfall for him and the Program. He is also quoted as saying after his 15th season he thought of retiring but for some reason he didn't. After that 15th season was when the Cowboys started our fall after our last team championships in 2006. I bet right now he wishes he had retired because it has been quite a fall. Also most people when they are thinking of retirement become less committed to their job and some complacency comes into play. He gives props rightfully to the kids wrestling because they gave effort and wanted success. I hope he takes more responsibility for the fall and commits to big changes if he comes back. I know when I retired it was important that I leave my business in good standing. I think it would be very hard for John to leave with us having 2 very poor years in a row. He may think we have this great recruiting class coming in but recruiting hasn't been our biggest problems

Last edited:
He committed to big changes last year after we performed poorly. At this point, I don't believe he is capable of making the necessary changes needed to improve. When you've had tremendous success all your life and when that string of success comes to an end it's hard to be honest with yourself that maybe you aren't the right person to change the outcome. Now the counterargument is that you have to give them an opportunity to make changes, however in this case he's had a decade to improve and we've only fallen further behind.

I know this is going to be hard but it has to be done. John's inability/reluctance to see how the landscape of college wrestling was changing is reason enough to let him go add in the overall lack of development of the wrestlers is reason to let him and the rest of the staff go.

My fear is that JW will take the easy way out and let him have another year. We will end up getting a few transfers that will make an immediate impact. We will finish back in the Top 5 and people will think the problem has been fixed. However, the turnaround will just be fool's gold and we will continue being a defensive wrestling team that is hoping for some type of counter-attack in the final minutes of a period and hoping for the best.

It’s part of a discussion that is generating ideas on how to improve our situation. He’s not talking about throwing out 10 Greco only guys.

But, I’d consider Nickal as a guy that fits the description we are rolling around.

Good technique with an ability to throw and did throw some crazy stuff frequently.
Quentin Wright was a PSU guy who wrestled the style you're talking about. Had a lot of throws.

Also Andrew Alton, he had that duck to a headlock. I remember Kyle Crutchmer hitting it against Iowa at the Grapple on the Gridiron in 2015.

So I’ve seen some saying a big discussion on national boards is what John teaches is out dated and easy to defeat. I have no opinion on that, but if it is true then it seems it is something he probably can’t fix even if he wanted to.

So I’ve seen some saying a big discussion on national boards is what John teaches is out dated and easy to defeat. I have no opinion on that, but if it is true then it seems it is something he probably can’t fix even if he wanted to.
If you really are a fan and want to advocate for the school, do your due diligence. Ask the athletes. They know. They are all Division 1. They know the attributes a coach needs to have to be a part of a successful team. Ask the athletes if they want John to remain as their coach? After all, they are the ones competing. Make sense? If you are a donor I would make a phone call and demand an anonymous questionnaire with the athletes to give John a fair shake at being properly judged. The results will speak for themselves and be a solution to this obviously stagnant problem. The athletes know! Why would a team not praise a great coach if he is doing his job. It seems like a simple solution.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT