ADVERTISEMENT

London, Paris, Rome

Inky29

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2001
So I'm 25, almost 26, years into this marriage and I figured I'd do something a little different for our anniversary so I'm taking us overseas for about two weeks.

I have all the sight seeing stuff booked that I possibly can but what iI don't have is any good suggestions on places to eat in each of those three locations. I know there are more websites than I can shake a stick at telling me the best places to eat but I figured I'd trust the good folks of the non sports board to give me some suggestions. I know we have some folks on here that are more world traveler than myself.

Shoot me some suggestions, please.

Reactions: EvilPOKES
So I'm 25, almost 26, years into this marriage and I figured I'd do something a little different for our anniversary so I'm taking us overseas for about two weeks.

I have all the sight seeing stuff booked that I possibly can but what iI don't have is any good suggestions on places to eat in each of those three locations. I know there are more websites than I can shake a stick at telling me the best places to eat but I figured I'd trust the good folks of the non sports board to give me some suggestions. I know we have some folks on here that are more world traveler than myself.

Shoot me some suggestions, please.

In Paris, I really enjoyed this place:

Le MaZenay

It’s across the street from ‘The oldest house in Paris’ which also is a restaurant, and supposedly quite good but I never ate there.

There are a LOT of really good restaurants in Paris. If anyone gives you a recommendation for a good one, you aren’t likely to be disappointed (unless you are really really focused on bang for your buck - most restaurants are plenty pricey).

I don’t have any good recs for London. Most of my time in the UK was in Cambridge, all for work. Haven’t been to Rome yet.

Reactions: Inky29
Rome is like a giant outdoor museum. Just go down to where all the core visitor stuff is at. Seriously. Go and walk and explore. See the Colosseum, the Parthenon, etc. And take note of all the random stuff along the way between the big sights. Eat at any of the patio restaurants. Take the sparkling water and enjoy a two-hour lunch.

Don't make too many concrete plans while in Rome - the plan while there is to simply explore and find what comes your way.

I hear Paris has a lot of firelit restaurants these days. Blazing bonfires right outside the windows.

Reactions: csh
Went to Rome for 4 days last summer. Probably a day and half too long IMO. All the ancient stuff is incredible. And like @Justin Wilmeth said, there are a ton of cool stuff around every corner. Take as many back alleys as you can when you walk around. I could sit in front of the Pantheon for hours. The Vatican was breathtaking. Spend some time in Trastevere neighborhood, very cool. That said, it was 95 degrees, extremely crowded, overrun with touristy shops (the whole city center felt like the worst parts of NYC in that way) and extremely trashy. By trashy, I mean there are no trash cans and people literally throw trash everywhere, it’s disheartening to see a beautiful 1000 year old statue covered in trash. Overall, I was constantly in awe and disappointed. Also was robbed by a cabbie, don’t take one unless your hotel/guide sets it up.

If you could possibly set up a day trip to Amalfi Coast, I definitely would. It’s the most beautiful place I’ve ever been. Could have stayed there forever.

Reactions: Inky29
Rome is like a giant outdoor museum. Just go down to where all the core visitor stuff is at. Seriously. Go and walk and explore. See the Colosseum, the Parthenon, etc. And take note of all the random stuff along the way between the big sights. Eat at any of the patio restaurants. Take the sparkling water and enjoy a two-hour lunch.

Don't make too many concrete plans while in Rome - the plan while there is to simply explore and find what comes your way.
Parthenon? Not sure he's going to get much of a view of that in Rome :p

Going to bet you meant Pantheon.

Reactions: Inky29 and SSS!!!
I'd put Rome above the other two for vibe and sightseeing. If you have two weeks it's also easy to take a quick detour to Greece, there are cruises across the adriatic overnight and it's a pretty cool way to see the islands and adriatic. Greece is cheap, too.

Paris is kind of take it or leave it imo. Reality never matches the expectations and media fixation with it, plus the french really can be arrogant, moronic dickheads. The french countryside is magical, though, and you also have normandy right there.

If you're doing UK, consider flying into Edinburgh and heading south, it's a cool city and great trip south, stop in the lake district on the way for a night or two.

I'm jealous of OP, I wish I was heading over there this summer!

London is my favorite city in the world. Get your underground pass and double decker bus pass (probably can get a combo) and do pub crawls. Awesome way to experience the city.

Also, look for a Jack the Ripper tour on a Sunday night.

I love Paris. Beautiful city. Learn a little French before you go. It will help with the service you get.

Reactions: poke2001 and Inky29
London is my favorite city in the world. Get your underground pass and double decker bus pass (probably can get a combo) and do pub crawls. Awesome way to experience the city.

Also, look for a Jack the Ripper tour on a Sunday night.

I love Paris. Beautiful city. Learn a little French before you go. It will help with the service you get.
I love London. I’ve been the last 2 years for work and the Underground mixed with google maps is perfect. My next trip I want to do the Jack the Ripper tour. Unfortunately when I was there a couple months ago, it was only a few days.

Reactions: squeak
Curious why on a Sunday night for the Jack the Ripper tour.

I'd put Rome above the other two for vibe and sightseeing. If you have two weeks it's also easy to take a quick detour to Greece, there are cruises across the adriatic overnight and it's a pretty cool way to see the islands and adriatic. Greece is cheap, too.

Paris is kind of take it or leave it imo. Reality never matches the expectations and media fixation with it, plus the french really can be arrogant, moronic dickheads. The french countryside is magical, though, and you also have normandy right there.

If you're doing UK, consider flying into Edinburgh and heading south, it's a cool city and great trip south, stop in the lake district on the way for a night or two.

I'm jealous of OP, I wish I was heading over there this summer!
I went bagpacking through Europe twenty years ago. Still blows my minds how it was still light out in Edinburgh at 11 PM and how the sun would come up at 5 AM in the morning. Awesome city. Loved the Scots overall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT