ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy COVID Update

The current mRNA vaccines were built on spike proteins common to COVID. There was enough data to establish their efficacy and effectiveness. The efficacy data is impressive and better than anyone could’ve imagined. I got mine on 12/24 and get the second dose on Thursday. More importantly, my early-70s parents got their first doses last week. Things should hopefully be close to normal by August/September if enough people get vaccinated.

There are still a lot of questions to be answered before that will happen. The CDC says that the vaccine "should" prevent people from catching the virus after they are immunized and the immune system has a chance to build up. But they are still saying that they do not know for sure if it will actually prevent somebody from getting it. As far as anybody up the chain will say is that it "should" at the very least make catching the virus less severe. The current statements are that even after your second dose that you should still wear a mask because you could still catch it and then become an asymptomatic spreader.

In theory, about a few days after your second shot, almost everybody should have a good degree of immunity to the virus. The issue right now with a lot of people catching it for the second time, nobody knows how long overall immunity will last and nobody wants to subject themselves to litigation. What I would love to see is a mid-sized community (50K people or so) and immunize everybody possible. Then after a month, start keeping tabs on viral spread. If for example, they would pick a city that had a decent amount of covid cases, but not one that had been hammered by it. Then starting after everybody had the vaccine, look around at numbers of new cases just from that city. See if the total number of infections goes down (it should). It would go a long way in establishing expectations. It theory, it should have a very drastic impact. I'm not saying we shouldn't continue to focus on the people that are being focused on. But as a side project, try to hit one specific area hard over a few days to see what happens.

Reactions: SSS!!!
There are still a lot of questions to be answered before that will happen. The CDC says that the vaccine "should" prevent people from catching the virus after they are immunized and the immune system has a chance to build up. But they are still saying that they do not know for sure if it will actually prevent somebody from getting it. As far as anybody up the chain will say is that it "should" at the very least make catching the virus less severe. The current statements are that even after your second dose that you should still wear a mask because you could still catch it and then become an asymptomatic spreader.

In theory, about a few days after your second shot, almost everybody should have a good degree of immunity to the virus. The issue right now with a lot of people catching it for the second time, nobody knows how long overall immunity will last and nobody wants to subject themselves to litigation. What I would love to see is a mid-sized community (50K people or so) and immunize everybody possible. Then after a month, start keeping tabs on viral spread. If for example, they would pick a city that had a decent amount of covid cases, but not one that had been hammered by it. Then starting after everybody had the vaccine, look around at numbers of new cases just from that city. See if the total number of infections goes down (it should). It would go a long way in establishing expectations. It theory, it should have a very drastic impact. I'm not saying we shouldn't continue to focus on the people that are being focused on. But as a side project, try to hit one specific area hard over a few days to see what happens.
Gonna take issue with the "a lot of people catching it for the second time" remark. The studies indicate exactly the opposite, those are rare, outlier events.

Gonna take issue with the "a lot of people catching it for the second time" remark. The studies indicate exactly the opposite, those are rare, outlier events.

Depends on who you talk to/listen to. A friend of mine is a doctor in a local hospital. He says that they are seeing an increase of second timers. At first it was people that swore they had it before there was testing available, etc. Now it is people that had confirmed positive tests. Now, we can go into the accuracy of the tests. That could be a factor. As far as the actual world wide list of people that are documented to have had it twice, that list is very short. But that is a totally different standard. Few people that get it actually have full clinical work done on them, which is required for a documented reinfection to make the list. I'm as frustrated by the conflicting information as anybody. I'm hopeful that the degree of re-infection is being inflated. However I personally know of 2 people that have had it twice. Both of them tested positive and both of them had antibodies the first pass. The first infection was hard on them, knocking them down for 2-3 weeks. In both cases the second infection was worse and they had to get some of the plasma treatments to turn things around. While that is a small subset of people that I know have had Covid, these were two of the first people that I knew had it. So I'm not willing to state how long immunity will last after infection. Frankly, all we have at this point are ideas and beliefs based on previous virus outbreaks. But they might not be completely accurate for this virus.

Depends on who you talk to/listen to. A friend of mine is a doctor in a local hospital. He says that they are seeing an increase of second timers. At first it was people that swore they had it before there was testing available, etc. Now it is people that had confirmed positive tests. Now, we can go into the accuracy of the tests. That could be a factor. As far as the actual world wide list of people that are documented to have had it twice, that list is very short. But that is a totally different standard. Few people that get it actually have full clinical work done on them, which is required for a documented reinfection to make the list. I'm as frustrated by the conflicting information as anybody. I'm hopeful that the degree of re-infection is being inflated. However I personally know of 2 people that have had it twice. Both of them tested positive and both of them had antibodies the first pass. The first infection was hard on them, knocking them down for 2-3 weeks. In both cases the second infection was worse and they had to get some of the plasma treatments to turn things around. While that is a small subset of people that I know have had Covid, these were two of the first people that I knew had it. So I'm not willing to state how long immunity will last after infection. Frankly, all we have at this point are ideas and beliefs based on previous virus outbreaks. But they might not be completely accurate for this virus.
Discounting several studies that explicitly address lasting immunity, and finding that reinfections would in fact be generally mild or asymptomatic if they occurred at all, is pretty tough for me to do. I've posted these before and won't do it again, but they're pretty compelling.

Discounting several studies that explicitly address lasting immunity, and finding that reinfections would in fact be generally mild or asymptomatic if they occurred at all, is pretty tough for me to do. I've posted these before and won't do it again, but they're pretty compelling.

I've read those and don't disagree. I can't say that I fully know how to address the differences between the research studies and the actual experiences of people that I know. Part of the problem is that the focus is on getting answers to some basic fundamental problems. The research teams that have been working on answering them are not having their findings listened to.

The current mRNA vaccines were built on spike proteins common to COVID. There was enough data to establish their efficacy and effectiveness. The efficacy data is impressive and better than anyone could’ve imagined. I got mine on 12/24 and get the second dose on Thursday. More importantly, my early-70s parents got their first doses last week. Things should hopefully be close to normal by August/September if enough people get vaccinated.
Normal? You mean flu, heart disease, car crashes numbers will go back up to normal?

All you need it common sense on masks. It does cut down on how far it can disperse when you cough, sneeze, or breath. That’s all they are for. Social distancing and wearing a mask helps to cut down on spread and it isn’t full proof.
There absolutely ZERO proof that it reduces any transmission there Doc - especially the POS nasty bandanas et all that most people wear over and over and over- way more harm than help most say.

Wife and I got the first shot of the Moderna vaccine last Thursday. Live in Tulsa but the first 63 closest vaccination sites to our home had no appointments available. The 64th closest was in Poteau which just happens to be my hometown. Easy two hour drive. It was extremely well organized. Included health care professionals, first responders, and even a few National Guard personnel. The folks were professional, efficient, and very friendly. Smooth process.

Unfortunately the registration portal and Oklahoma Health Care Department online registration and appointment scheduling system is not so friendly.

Everybody, including my wife and me, seems to report very sore arms for a day or two after injection. I had no other side effects but my wife (who’s about half my size), had nausea, fatigue, and a low grade fever for about 36 hours.

Looking forward to completing the vaccination process with the second shot in February. But not able to schedule it yet thru the State’s online portal. Must be brutally tough for elderly who don’t have much in the way of computer skills and internet access. Sad because they need it the most!!
Many elderly dying from the vaccines- maybe they don't need it first. I would say that's true for most bc 99.96 percent of people survive COVID (which hasn't even been isolated yet ) so really no reason for any to take it. You people that listen to corrupt government and corrupt Big Pharma are sad. I pray for everyone taking the vaccine to not have any sudden symptoms or long term effects- y'all should do more research but media is so corrupt and scaring everyone I blame them the most

Reactions: Dirk4177
Today is the 1 year anniversary of the first documented case of Covid in the US. It is truly stunning by modern standards that we have already had millions of people immunized with a vaccine with 95% efficacy. Maybe The Donald deserves some credit for pulling off this miracle. And despite the scorn and derision heaped upon him, history will be kind to him and his handling of this CCP plague that cruelly and unnecessarily blindsided the world.

So, you can mock him, you can hate him, you can do and say whatever you want, but at some point a little gratitude and thanks is warranted. He lived through hell. If he was a liberal, he'd receive the Nobel Prize for several of his accomplishments.

Last edited:
I mean I you discount all the studies then ya I guess there isn’t.
Lol even your Leftist cult hero Fauci said don't wear one....BUSTED! But he is a total moron so I'm not really lending ANY credibility to his comments - EVER

Reactions: 77cowboy
Today is the 1 year anniversary of the first documented case of Covid in the US. It is truly stunning by modern standards that we have already had millions of people immunized with a vaccine with 95% efficacy. Maybe The Donald deserves some credit for pulling off this miracle. And despite the scorn and derision heaped upon him, history will be kind to him and his handling of this plague that blind sided the world.

If he was a liberal, he'd receive the Nobel Prize for several of his accomplishments.
Leaving corrupt POS in key positions is tied for worst thing the Donald did- along with shutting Us down and letting the leftist scare the $hit out of people for a virus that kills .03 of its infected.
The Donald is imperfect like everyone -
But he is a patriot. Same thing can't be said for any other president or presidential candidate finalist in last 20 years. Bush, McCain, Hussein, Romney, Biden- ALL POS traitors

Reactions: 77cowboy
Lol even your Leftist cult hero Fauci said don't wear one....BUSTED! But he is a total moron so I'm not really lending ANY credibility to his comments - EVER
Dr. Fauci is a moron? Thanks Dr. ouuintx. Did you listen to any thing he had to say today?

Time to get off your Covid soapbox.

Trump lost...get over it.

Dr. Fauci is a moron? Thanks Dr. ouuintx. Did you listen to any thing he had to say today?

Time to get off your Covid soapbox.

Trump lost...get over it.
Fauci is a moron. He was against closing down travel from China. Thank god Trump didn't listen to the scientist on that one! That would have been disastrous on an epic scale. He also said on March 8, March 8th!, that it was still ok to take a cruise.

Fauci is a moron. He was against closing down travel from China. Thank god Trump didn't listen to the scientist on that one! That would have been disastrous on an epic scale. He also said on March 8, March 8th!, that it was still ok to take a cruise.
I’d be willing to bet that Fauci has plenty of regrets about how some things were handled early on, but with a novel coronavirus and a rapidly spreading pandemic, decisions had to be made in the moment. And then time passed, new data emerged and mitigation techniques evolved and changed as the situation dictated. This has never been a stagnant deal.

Last edited:
I’d be willing to bet that Fauci has plenty of regrets about how some things were handled early on, but with a novel coronavirus and a rapidly spreading pandemic, decisions had to be made in the moment. And then time passed, new data emerged and mitigation techniques evolved and changed as the situation dictated. This has never been a stagnant deal.
My God are you really making excuses for this political hack Fauci?! Good Lord man- save some of your dignity

Trump was correct to shut it down when he did because we didn’t have data. The thought was 2-3% IFR at that time. Then data emerged here.

Trump was correct to shut it down when he did because we didn’t have data. The thought was 2-3% IFR at that time. Then data emerged here.
Hell who knows how long it was spreading all over before that point. I question hiw early in 2019 it was in the US

The killer .o3 percent viral demon arrived mid - late 2019 to the best of most epidemiologists beliefs. Didn't know it was the killer it is till our great media started the scare February 2020 ish.

It sure is a killer- it's killed the flu, heart disease, pneumonia, bronchitis, jobs, economy, election integrity, compassion, people's ability to know they've been bamboozled with the mask scare, et cetera ...et cetera....et cetera

The killer .o3 percent viral demon arrived mid - late 2019 to the best of most epidemiologists beliefs. Didn't know it was the killer it is till our great media started the scare February 2020 ish.

It sure is a killer- it's killed the flu, heart disease, pneumonia, bronchitis, jobs, economy, election integrity, compassion, people's ability to know they've been bamboozled with the mask scare, et cetera ...et cetera....et cetera
Don’t forget brain cells...

No, it certainly wasn't a stagnant deal. It was hour by hour but Trump was never given breathing room on the fluidity of the situation like you seem willing to give Fauci now. But make no mistake, throughout the entire chaotic situation, the one decision that saved by far the most amount of lives is when Trump ignored the majority of his advisors, including Yoda Fauci, and made the bold decision to close travel from China.

That. Took. Balls!

Thank God he didn't listen to the scientist on that one. Hundreds of thousands of lives, if not a million or more, was saved by that single decision. We simply would have been overwhelmed since we didn't know the gravity of the situation nor did we have the PPE to deal with it.

Reactions: osuintx
No, it certainly wasn't a stagnant deal. It was hour by hour but Trump was never given breathing room on the fluidity of the situation like you seem willing to give Fauci now. But make no mistake, throughout the entire chaotic situation, the one decision that saved by far the most amount of lives is when Trump ignored the majority of his advisors, including Yoda Fauci, and made the bold decision to close travel from China.

That. Took. Balls!

Thank God he didn't listen to the scientist on that one. Hundreds of thousands of lives, if not a million or more, was saved by that single decision. We simply would have been overwhelmed since we didn't know the gravity of the situation nor did we have the PPE to deal with it.
Considering it was already spreading in the US, how did that save a million lives?

Reactions: BiloxiPoke

That. Took. Balls!

It was already in the U.S. by that time. The die had already been cast.

I can answer that. Think of it like planting seeds of something like mint in a garden. Mint will get away from you very quickly and take over. If you plant 5 seeds, it will take longer to take over the garden than if you plant 50 seeds. While it doesn't prevent the garden from being taken over, it makes it so it doesn't happen nearly as quickly and gives you time to go to the store and buy the tools needed to help you get it under control. Originally when there wasn't any clue about how to treat people with this virus, the odds of death from it were a lot higher than they are today. The "flatten the curve" stuff was perhaps the best idea that was implemented and locking out Chinese travel was #2. Sure we didn't want our hospitals overran, but just as importantly, medical professionals needed some time to learn, the hospitals needed time to secure ventilators as well as PPE, etc. So by limiting the amount of potential exposure helped provide those things.

know of some people who tested positive for the virus, got sick and are recovering/90% recovered (not sick). They tested again yesterday, and both tested positive. They say they are fine and are going about things as normal. We said you are still contagious if you tested positive. They don't care. So, I'm sure they aren't the only ones.

• Sad
Reactions: Toontown102483
I can answer that. Think of it like planting seeds of something like mint in a garden. Mint will get away from you very quickly and take over. If you plant 5 seeds, it will take longer to take over the garden than if you plant 50 seeds. While it doesn't prevent the garden from being taken over, it makes it so it doesn't happen nearly as quickly and gives you time to go to the store and buy the tools needed to help you get it under control. Originally when there wasn't any clue about how to treat people with this virus, the odds of death from it were a lot higher than they are today. The "flatten the curve" stuff was perhaps the best idea that was implemented and locking out Chinese travel was #2. Sure we didn't want our hospitals overran, but just as importantly, medical professionals needed some time to learn, the hospitals needed time to secure ventilators as well as PPE, etc. So by limiting the amount of potential exposure helped provide those things.
The travel ban was a good move for sure. The fact that that is literally the only thing for Trump and his supporters to hang their hat on w regards to how he handled the situation is pretty telling. He should absolutely get credit for that move, but also highly criticized for not doing the other million things he could have for the other 9 months of the year while the virus ran basically unimpeded (including setting up a real national databank which Biden has already talked about).

Reactions: BiloxiPoke
it's pretty easy in this stage of the game to say shoulda woulda. Let's see results before you crown the dementia moron. Enough breadcrumbs were left to improve things.

It was already in the U.S. by that time. The die had already been cast.
You can do basic math, right? The first case was confirmed on January 21st. Had travel from China not been banned it would have been an out of control wildfire. And remember this, being the nefarious assholes that they are and before the Communist warned us of the plague, they literally sucked up ALL the PPE equipment in the entire world! The entire world! In other words, had Trump listened to Fauci (or Biden for that matter) we would have been completely f****d. Completely! We simply didn't have what we needed to deal with the unknown.

It's been estimated that had they given us a heads up even 6 days earlier we could have prevented 95% of the carnage. I know it goes against your very soul but be grateful that Trump DIDN'T listen to the scientist on that one. I am.

The travel ban was a good move for sure. The fact that that is literally the only thing for Trump and his supporters to hang their hat on w regards to how he handled the situation is pretty telling. He should absolutely get credit for that move, but also highly criticized for not doing the other million things he could have for the other 9 months of the year while the virus ran basically unimpeded (including setting up a real national databank which Biden has already talked about).
Utterly naive assessment of what happened. The only thing? Seriously? Within 1 effing year we are inoculating people to this plague. That is historic! You're a partisan ingrate.

Utterly naive assessment of what happened. The only thing? Seriously? Within 1 effing year we are inoculating people to this plague. That is historic! You're a partisan ingrate.
Haha ahh yes the same people who have left states scrambling to figure out how to distribute said inoculations, lied to them about how many doses are coming and how much they had in reserves. There are 20 M doses waiting to be given out. Operation Warp Speed to help get them produced though, but not sure how Trump gets a ton of credit for that. A little, but Pfizer was outside WS.
Haha I’m a registered R who voted for every other R on the ticket in November, but sure.

Reactions: Toontown102483
Haha ahh yes the same people who have left states scrambling to figure out how to distribute said inoculations, lied to them about how many doses are coming and how much they had in reserves. There are 20 M doses waiting to be given out. Operation Warp Speed to help get them produced though, but not sure how Trump gets a ton of credit for that. A little, but Pfizer was outside WS.
Haha I’m a registered R who voted for every other R on the ticket in November, but sure.
You can put that one on the state governors. I’m in California In the vaccines are sitting on shelves not being given out because they’re so clueless And inept. The same states that can’t even run their budgets and need the federal government to bail them out. And you’re going to give them a pass?

what the only thing lol man talk about missing a point. If it wasn’t for Trump no way in hell there is three effen vaccines in less then a year.I am really glad Biden talked about something lol

You can do basic math, right? The first case was confirmed on January 21st. Had travel from China not been banned it would have been an out of control wildfire. And remember this, being the nefarious assholes that they are and before the Communist warned us of the plague, they literally sucked up ALL the PPE equipment in the entire world! The entire world! In other words, had Trump listened to Fauci (or Biden for that matter) we would have been completely f****d. Completely! We simply didn't have what we needed to deal with the unknown.

It's been estimated that had they given us a heads up even 6 days earlier we could have prevented 95% of the carnage. I know it goes against your very soul but be grateful that Trump DIDN'T listen to the scientist on that one. I am.
Where are you getting all these basic math numbers? Epidemiologists have already estimated it was in US long before we had the first positive case. That’s why cades were popping up in all states. People had been flying from China and Europe to the US with it for months. Hell it took awhile just for us to get some tests to confirm the first cases.

Trump wasn’t perfect, but this is unprecedented. Biden’s strategy was to be the opposite of Trump, and the media has blood on their hands.

I'm no fan of the man though I did appreciate many of the things he did while in office. But I can give a list of quite a few things that he did in regards to Covid that were good. Remember, Trump is not a details type of guy and that was a negative for this. However, anybody that doesn't give at least some credit to Trump for his ability to pull a ton of the hurdles away in regards to vaccine development doesn't have a clue about how big a task that was. Both Washington and the FDA are built on bureaucracy. I can give you a long list of things that had to be done that could only come from executive pressure to allow progress. There is also a long list of things that I know could/should have been done better. And a President or at least a task force leader (Pence) that was more into the details of things instead of just big picture would have avoided or at least set things up better. Primarily data collection and not leaving a lot of stuff up to state leaders who's primary goal might not align with the White House. That's why many of the blue states look completely inept right now. They have tens of thousands of doses and are unable to get out of their own way to get them into people. Why? Its one of three things. Either they are simply inept or two, they didn't believe this could possibly happen, or three, they didn't want to do work that would potentially make Donald Trump look good. But now that he's out of office, whichever of the three items it is, they are now the ones having to deal with the problems they created (or more to the point solutions they failed to create). Its sad when a freezer failed in California and they had to quickly distribute the thousand or so doses in it in a single day to prevent them from going bad and that was the best day of distribution they've had.

Well I caught Covid. I was two days away from being 50% protected from my first vaccine shot. Had allergy like symptoms on Sunday. By Tuesday I couldn’t taste or smell. And fatigued. So my symptoms started Sunday. Think I got it at work. No fever , hardly any cough , just tired , and no taste or smell. Got a rapid test at CVS on South Bryant in Edmond.

Where are you getting all these basic math numbers? Epidemiologists have already estimated it was in US long before we had the first positive case. That’s why cades were popping up in all states. People had been flying from China and Europe to the US with it for months. Hell it took awhile just for us to get some tests to confirm the first cases.
You're not addressing the issue of the travel restrictions. Yes, the virus was here but in much less numbers. We know that. But how many more cases would we have had if we hadn't stopped the travel as Fauci and others wanted? 300,000 Chinese were flying to our country every month before the travel restrictions were instituted. You do the math.

It bought us the time we needed to at least manage it. Simple common sense

Just got off the phone with a Doctor who is one of nations leading experts on this virus and the vaccine. Not a Trump fan, fwiw.

The Pfizer vaccine is caught up in politics due to Cuomo and the Mich Gov contacting Pfizer and trying to buy the vaccine direct. They screwed the pooch as it raised all sorts of political issues around the world of who should get out or not based on ethnicity. That has slowed everything way down. Additionally, there is a world wide shortage of the re-agents needed to make the vaccine. They can't get it in the quantities needed to hit the numbers they thought they could produce. He mentioned the name of it but it's way above my paygrade. The glass vials needed are also a bit of an issue. Only certain glass is approved to withstand -80 temps. All made in, you guessed it, China.

Scripps here in San Diego was promised some vaccine and their refrigerator can go down to -80 but the red tape says it has to be a particular brand name fridge, so, they didn't get it. Total bullshit. They still don't know how effective the Moderna vaccine will be against the new strains. Pfizer is the vaccine you want if you can get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: knoblock
know of some people who tested positive for the virus, got sick and are recovering/90% recovered (not sick). They tested again yesterday, and both tested positive. They say they are fine and are going about things as normal. We said you are still contagious if you tested positive. They don't care. So, I'm sure they aren't the only ones.
This is false. People emit live, transmissible virus for 7-8 days (tops) past day one of symptoms. Testing positive means very little.

From the Lancet:
Transmission occurs almost exclusively during the first week, when high RNA concentration is detected. Concentration decreases over time, remaining detectable for up to 30 days after disease onset. (ie TESTING POSITIVE)

Transmission after day 7 is rarely reported (except in severe cases or immunocompromised patients), and this finding is supported by a surrogate approach showing an absence of cultivable virus from clinical specimens after days 7–8.

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT