ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12s

I'm stunned that a Blair kid like Mastro is so bad on bottom. He also gives up his legs way too easily. He doesn't even react in time to sprawl. It reminds me of Andrew Marsden.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
In a regular year, Mastro would not be on the mat, but in the weight room developing. He is not strong enough to compete, but it is a free year and he beats Witcraft so what else do you do at that weight. Probably more disappointed that witcraft hasn’t developed,

In a regular year, Mastro would not be on the mat, but in the weight room developing. He is not strong enough to compete, but it is a free year and he beats Witcraft so what else do you do at that weight. Probably more disappointed that witcraft hasn’t developed,

Winning against common opponents is more important than H2H results. Witcraft was undefeated at 125 this year. He should have been entered in the Cowboy Challenge @ 125 to see what he could do against D1 starters. Instead he was bounced around between 125 & 133 all year. Mastro has too many holes right now. At least Witcraft battles when he's out there.

Mastro did nothing in his first match and then wrestled with some passion in getting the tech.
Why are we having so many knee injuries?

Reactions: Wrassler17
What do we have to do to pass them? Geer left this morning and 3 finalists?

The essence of my post is all about the landscape of college wrestling. It has changed drastically. I have watched it for 55 years.

Are we changing with it? Are we adapting to it? Are we just letting it pass us by?

It's people like you that say "its changing, nothing we can do"
It's people like me saying "its changing, lets do something about it"

I love John Smith. He is the greatest American wrestler ever! He loves OSU, clearly.

But why aren't we adapting to the change better? I know why....do you?

Why can't these questions be asked?
Just because you have a funded RTC doesn’t guarantee success.
Winning against common opponents is more important than H2H results. Witcraft was undefeated at 125 this year. He should have been entered in the Cowboy Challenge @ 125 to see what he could do against D1 starters. Instead he was bounced around between 125 & 133 all year. Mastro has too many holes right now. At least Witcraft battles when he's out there.
He was in the cowboy open and lost first round.

Reece is going into the his 2nd year in the program, and still struggles on bottom....kid as just as just as bad on bottom as Mastro. If Reece was at 125 for the BIg XII's...he finishes the same as Mastro if not worse. Both have limited offense...only difference is Mastro can ride...Reece can't.

Very good chance this comes down to Ferrari. We must win the bedlam bouts 133 and 149. If we do, then Ferrari will have to match Demas’ placement.

Any idea what the tiebreaker is?

Reece is going into the his 2nd year in the program, and still struggles on bottom....kid as just as just as bad on bottom as Mastro. If Reece was at 125 for the BIg XII's...he finishes the same as Mastro if not worse. Both have limited offense...only difference is Mastro can ride...Reece can't.

Mastro showed some fight in the 5th place match. Good to see. But there is no way Reece is as bad on bottom right now. He doesn't give up 4+ minutes of riding time without trying to escape. He also has better neutral offense, Mastro is a counter wrestler that tries to hit guys with a bundle.

Do I have this right? Fix bonus win + Boo win + Demas loss would mean that OU can’t finish ahead of us. I know there are a ton of scenarios but that seems pretty clean.

Track shows Geer with a 7-1 win over Clothier. Appeared to be 9-1.

Geer with an escape, TD, Stall point, 4 NF and RT point. The ESPN mat commentators said 2 NF but score showed 4. The multiview guys said it was 4 NF.

That's a team point that could come into play.

Why did Geer just get 2 points for his win? We were at 110 before his match and it was showing 112 after his major.

Calling it, Fix Fall (6 pts), Boo Dec (4 pts), Ferrari Dec (4 pts), Demas loss to Parker.

OSU - 126
uo - 120

1 point for the difference in 3rd and 4th and one point for the major.
Not sure how the team score moved after Geer's match but Track definitely didn't award a bonus point for the major.

Points For: Dakota Geer

Match #​
Win Type​
Advancement Points​
Activity Points​
Total Points​
3​
MD​
1.0​
1.0​
2.0​
7​
MD​
1.0​
1.0​
2.0​
18​
MD​
0.5​
1.0​
1.5​
21​
Dec​
0.0​
0.0​
0.0​
Guaranteed Place is 3rd​
10.0​
Total Points Earned​
15.5​

Why did Geer just get 2 points for his win? We were at 110 before his match and it was showing 112 after his major.
This whole tournament many of our wrestlers did not seem to push for bonus points especially Boo, Wittlake in the consolations did not get any bonus points. We do not need a new Coach. However in talking about Kaid's 3rd knee injury he questioned how we are doing things and if we are doing things wrong. Kaid response was that he loved the Cowboy way and John felt better. John should quit feeling good and start to really assess himself and the entire Program. Our recruiting is improving but our lack of wrestlers developing through the season is crippling. Also we need to work on motivating our wrestlers better. Penn. St has actually stuck with Iowa a little bit in the Big 10 Tournament. They have 6 freshmen wrestling. Sanderson as a Coach is like John was as a wrestler ( looking for innovation) ways to improve and win. John as a wrestler went to legal extremes to win but not as a Coach. I was excited and saw an opportunity to regain the College Wrestling Throne but reality is taking my excitement daily as this year has progressed. So many of you express opinions that we are doing fine and getting better. We might not win the weak Big 12 this year and Oklahoma might win it( the team that can not develop wrestlers). Anyone who thinks Penn. St. won't beat us in the future if big changes don't occur, is looking at wrestling thru orange and black lenses. We need Ferrari to win tonight, I think Sloan has shoulder problems like Dustin has and had to wear a heavy shoulder brace to wrestle this weekend. A win over Buchanon would really indicate Ferrari will do very good at Nationals( I'm hoping for a National Championship at 197 for us). Win the Big 12 and get 2 National Champions would get some momentum back on our side.

This whole tournament many of our wrestlers did not seem to push for bonus points especially Boo, Wittlake in the consolations did not get any bonus points. We do not need a new Coach. However in talking about Kaid's 3rd knee injury he questioned how we are doing things and if we are doing things wrong. Kaid response was that he loved the Cowboy way and John felt better. John should quit feeling good and start to really assess himself and the entire Program. Our recruiting is improving but our lack of wrestlers developing through the season is crippling. Also we need to work on motivating our wrestlers better. Penn. St has actually stuck with Iowa a little bit in the Big 10 Tournament. They have 6 freshmen wrestling. Sanderson as a Coach is like John was as a wrestler ( looking for innovation) ways to improve and win. John as a wrestler went to legal extremes to win but not as a Coach. I was excited and saw an opportunity to regain the College Wrestling Throne but reality is taking my excitement daily as this year has progressed. So many of you express opinions that we are doing fine and getting better. We might not win the weak Big 12 this year and Oklahoma might win it( the team that can not develop wrestlers). Anyone who thinks Penn. St. won't beat us in the future if big changes don't occur, is looking at wrestling thru orange and black lenses. We need Ferrari to win tonight, I think Sloan has shoulder problems like Dustin has and had to wear a heavy shoulder brace to wrestle this weekend. A win over Buchanon would really indicate Ferrari will do very good at Nationals( I'm hoping for a National Championship at 197 for us). Win the Big 12 and get 2 National Champions would get some momentum back on our side.

Penn State is down 23 points to Iowa. Almost all their young guys were bounced from the main brackets early.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082
Yeah, I think it’s OSU’s to lose.

As mentioned above, Daton will get the bonus on Madrigal. Even if Dom beats Parker, that’ll be the difference.

it will probably come down to Ferrari. And if give him the edge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT