ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12s

G walked off the mat, didn't shake hands and was mouthing off the officials when we were hit with a penalty point. Coaches were talking arguing he got the reversal as well. Either way...shake/dab the kid and move on.
Nobody is shaking hands this year. Well a few do but not supposed to.

133: I’ll just disagree with whoever said Madrigal was just wrestling not to get beat bad. I thought he was the aggressor over Fix, especially early on. Daton is just so powerful, and always in good position. I am totally surprised he didn’t get bonus points. I really thought he might major or tech Madrigal. I think Madrigal deserves more props for not getting destroyed by an obviously much better wrestler.

141: You could have called either wrestler for stalling. Or both. But you couldn’t pick out one without dinging the other. Demas just tried to pummel inside, Parker just tried to use his head to block and grab Demas wrist to prevent him from doing anything. They’ve wrestled this same match five other times in their career. It’s almost always looked like this.

Demas had the only legit shot of the night, and it seemed to come as a surprise to him when he got the leg. The locked hands call only stopped it from being decided by RT, which Demas would have won anyway.

149: Props to Moore for coming to fight, but Boo was clearly the better wrestler. Moore kept it close with the reversal and adding a tilt later on, but Boo is just too good. I reeeeeeeeally like rooting for Boo. He’s just constantly consistent. He’s not flashy, but he executes. Hope to see him high on the podium.

Kudos to OU for....whatever the hell that weekend was. Where was Rosselli keeping that team all year? W we pups have been nice to see that version earlier in the year.

Demas beat Parker on RT in OT

He shot one time the entire match, I have no idea why stalling wasn’t called.
He shot zero times (he got the leg on a counter) and backed up the whole match and never got a warning.

That being said, congratulations as they totally out wrestled us. Something like five pins in the consolation rounds from lower ranked wrestlers while or mid level guys and Whitlake got few or no bonus points. Whitlake's loss was ridiculous, Fix can't get off the bottom against a wrestler of very limited wrestling skill.

How about qualifiers?

Last edited:
Reactions: CowboyTanker
He shot zero times (he got the leg on a counter) and backed up the whole match and never got a warning.

That being said, congratulations as they totally out wrestled us. Something like five pins in the consolation rounds from lower ranked wrestlers while or mid level guys and Whitlake got few or no bonus points. Whitlake's loss was ridiculous, Fix can't get off the bottom against a wrestler of very limited wrestling skill.

How about qualifiers?

Have you at least changed your mind on AJ?

I agree with Micco that Madrigal wrestled a hell of a match and did what he needed to do to keep it close. Madrigal did very little offensively and kept Dayton’s hands and head tied up which the ref allowed. I was surprised that he rode Daton so well.
141 was a dance fest with very little action between 2 good wrestlers but that is not what I pay money to see.
149 was a repeat of 133. Robert’s kept Boo tied up and it was working until Boo got on top and wore Roberts out. Gutsy win for Boo!
197 was awesome! AJ wrestled like a seasoned veteran against a quality opponent and beat him physically and mentally. I had no problem with AJ firing up the crowd during blood breaks, I thought it was fitting for bedlam atmosphere in the crowd. He wasn’t showboating!
The uo fans in attendance were doing their dead level best to be loud and obnoxious and they succeeded. They went a little too far against Daton with some of their taunts but Daton better get used to it. I hate the tie but the guys battled back from 12 down to start the day to salvage a tie so we need to give them credit for rebounding.

133: I’ll just disagree with whoever said Madrigal was just wrestling not to get beat bad. I thought he was the aggressor over Fix, especially early on. Daton is just so powerful, and always in good position. I am totally surprised he didn’t get bonus points. I really thought he might major or tech Madrigal. I think Madrigal deserves more props for not getting destroyed by an obviously much better wrestler.

141: You could have called either wrestler for stalling. Or both. But you couldn’t pick out one without dinging the other. Demas just tried to pummel inside, Parker just tried to use his head to block and grab Demas wrist to prevent him from doing anything. They’ve wrestled this same match five other times in their career. It’s almost always looked like this.

Demas had the only legit shot of the night, and it seemed to come as a surprise to him when he got the leg. The locked hands call only stopped it from being decided by RT, which Demas would have won anyway.

149: Props to Moore for coming to fight, but Boo was clearly the better wrestler. Moore kept it close with the reversal and adding a tilt later on, but Boo is just too good. I reeeeeeeeally like rooting for Boo. He’s just constantly consistent. He’s not flashy, but he executes. Hope to see him high on the podium.

Kudos to OU for....whatever the hell that weekend was. Where was Rosselli keeping that team all year? W we pups have been nice to see that version earlier in the year.
If you watched the 33 pound match and thought Madrigal was the aggressor, that’s the dumbest thing I’ve read in this board in awhile. He and his coaches had 1 goal, not to get his tail kicked like last time. Pushed on the head all match. He wanted no part of any aggression or shot.

Madrigal wasn’t the aggressor but he took two shots in the first 90 seconds which allowed him to play the head the rest of the match. That would be two more shots than our wrestlers took in several matches with much less gap in talent btw. Smart move by an outclassed wrestler and helped OU salvage a co-Big12 championship.

I jokingly said to KC Scott after the match that after AJ outstanding wrestler should have gone to Madrigal. I thought he wrestled a very good match against an outstanding wrestler and he did it without stalling. I would say OU came to wrestle from top to bottom. They got help from every weight with the possible exception of 125 and wrestled above their seeding. Kudos particularly to AJ,Boo and Daton and attboys to Dakota and yes Witlake, and Plott. Admire very much AJ's confidence but he needs to keep within himself and not put on a "Show" other than wrestling on the mat. #1 no matter how you cut it, it shows disrespect to the opponent and could lead to point deductions. John needs to talk with him before Nationals. That being said, his performance at the tournament shows how special he can be. The bitter Pill to swallow is being tied by OU and John needs to step up and take the blame for that. Not going to make excuses except to say if Plott was healthy the team point deduction would not have mattered and of course we would have also placed at 141 if Brock had not been injured. Did AJ have back points on his last takedown. I've heard both sides and from both homers and neutral fans and the consensus was close but no cigar. of course I thought it was two back points but at least it was reviewed.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
I jokingly said to KC Scott after the match that after AJ outstanding wrestler should have gone to Madrigal. I thought he wrestled a very good match against an outstanding wrestler and he did it without stalling. I would say OU came to wrestle from top to bottom. They got help from every weight with the possible exception of 125 and wrestled above their seeding. Kudos particularly to AJ,Boo and Daton and attboys to Dakota and yes Witlake, and Plott. Admire very much AJ's confidence but he needs to keep within himself and not put on a "Show" other than wrestling on the mat. #1 no matter how you cut it, it shows disrespect to the opponent and could lead to point deductions. John needs to talk with him before Nationals. That being said, his performance at the tournament shows how special he can be. The bitter Pill to swallow is being tied by OU and John needs to step up and take the blame for that. Not going to make excuses except to say if Plott was healthy the team point deduction would not have mattered and of course we would have also placed at 141 if Brock had not been injured. Did AJ have back points on his last takedown. I've heard both sides and from both homers and neutral fans and the consensus was close but no cigar. of course I thought it was two back points but at least it was reviewed.
I thought Madrigal wrestled good all weekend. Tonight he wrestled smart and tough. The problem was Daton was not aggressive enough. He made sure he won(number 1 goal accomplished) but didn't do so good at the number 2 goal of getting a major especially important considering the team score. I thought if Daton wrestles like that against way better opponents like RBY or DeSanto he could lose another heartbreaker match like 2 years ago. He must separate from his opponents or the refs or an opponent making a great move at the end could cost him another National Championship. With Ferrari I don't like some of his ego stuff but it is good to see a Cowboy get on the mat that is fired up, not afraid and really wants to win and show his great talent. Daton did not show his great talent tonight. But I see on the wrestling site we still got our 9th straight Big 12 Championship!

AJ was great

while i’m not a fan of the swagger it is everything this program needs

shame he lost focus for just that bit to get taken down/reversed

this tournament was a disaster

25 41 and heavy are dumpster fire weights

no heavy for two years
25 it was no secret picc was graduating

41 is understandable

will be rooting hard for boo to get the natty
have seen him since youth tourneys always a class act

never forget seeing daton at state as a frosh, first thought who is this kid ask my buddy who’s son lost to kaid in finals that’s dereks kid

second thought he’s a freshmen??? wow...

good luck at nationals
looking for four finalist and 5 AA’s

AJ was great

no heavy for two years

41 is understandable

never forget seeing daton at state as a frosh, first thought who is this kid ask my buddy who’s son lost to kaid in finals that’s dereks kid

good luck at nationals
Its not the swagger its the stupid antics, taunting during the match and that probably direct reason for the reversal, he lost focus on the match and the goal of a major. Again the match isn't over until the ref blows the whistle, see Lambrecht if needing info on what a loss of focus can cost you.

Maybe I was seeing something different last night, but I didn't interpret what he did as taunting or stupid antics. Those kids all operate differently during the stoppages - some keep loose bouncing around, some chat with coaches, etc - AJ chose to fire up the crowd that was clearly fueling him. I don't think that works for most kids, but he is seemingly built for the big-time in a way that very few are.

And IMO the reversal had more to do with him trying to make something happen and get a major than losing focus.

Echo the earlier comments that it's been a long time since I've been that proud of one of our guys. Just an incredible effort that showed we are scratching the surface on what he is going to do the next 4 years. Lots of talk here about needing a change of some kind and what you saw last night was the BDE it's going to take to get 35.

AJ lost that takedown as he was being aggressive. I love the effort. I was never much for the showboating, but if it fires up the fans and the wrestlers go for it. I remember Hendricks at OKC after he beat Churella (with a very controversial call) running around the arena with an OK State flag to the boos of over half of the crowd. The next year when he was upset he took it like a man. Let AJ be AJ!

AJ lost that takedown as he was being aggressive. I love the effort. I was never much for the showboating, but if it fires up the fans and the wrestlers go for it. I remember Hendricks at OKC after he beat Churella (with a very controversial call) running around the arena with an OK State flag to the boos of over half of the crowd. The next year when he was upset he took it like a man. Let AJ be AJ!
Key is it was after the match not during the match.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Props to OU for being ready for big12 tourney. To put a good spin on it, maybe a grind out “win” by the cowboys will get them mentally prepared for nationals instead of our usual cakewalk through big twelves. Often, we crush big12s and have a let down at nationals. I would rather see a punch in the face now with momentum on our side. I was wondering if Ferrari was going to step up his game. I guess that question was answered. That’s what leaders do, they put the team on their back

Reactions: osu2082 and JAY45
If that is what it takes for AJ to get fired up....go for it. He could have went out there and methodically won a title and not tried for the bonus points. He wrestled with a sense of urgency and with something to prove. I thought Boo had the same type of mentality in his match. He was trying to take Moore to his back and get the major. Moore is an extremely dangerous wrestler and once he put Boo on his back it was time to figure out how to win and forget about the major. I’m not concerned about Fix, but he looked like the pressure got to him a little.

Maybe I was seeing something different last night, but I didn't interpret what he did as taunting or stupid antics. Those kids all operate differently during the stoppages - some keep loose bouncing around, some chat with coaches, etc - AJ chose to fire up the crowd that was clearly fueling him. I don't think that works for most kids, but he is seemingly built for the big-time in a way that very few are.

And IMO the reversal had more to do with him trying to make something happen and get a major than losing focus.

Echo the earlier comments that it's been a long time since I've been that proud of one of our guys. Just an incredible effort that showed we are scratching the surface on what he is going to do the next 4 years. Lots of talk here about needing a change of some kind and what you saw last night was the BDE it's going to take to get 35.

100%. I had no problem with AJ because it was during a blood time out. He wasn't taunting anyone. I wouldn't have loved it if it was during a normal stoppage or restart or if he was taunting his guy. We need more guys with AJ's spark and fire.

AJ was great

no heavy for two years

41 is understandable

good luck at nationals

At risk of becoming the Mastro defender (who I don't have a strong opinion on either way) I wouldn't put 125 anywhere near HW as far as dumpster fire goes. He won some matches and qualified for nationals as a true freshman. He's got a long way to go but there is some hope there and if he doesn't work out there are other options. HW is a black hole.

At risk of becoming the Mastro defender (who I don't have a strong opinion on either way) I wouldn't put 125 anywhere near HW as far as dumpster fire goes. He won some matches and qualified for nationals as a true freshman. He's got a long way to go but there is some hope there and if he doesn't work out there are other options. HW is a black hole.
If this is a normal year he doesn’t see the starting lineup. There is a reason we very rarely see a true freshman out there.

It seems there has been a ton of discussion around this Program needing a spark, needing a gamechanger, needing to get its swagger back.

We all want to see good sportsmanship and want to see the orange and black represented properly.

That being said, A.J. Ferrari IS that spark. This is what it looks like.

Of course it could be misinterpreted and of course it might have lead to him losing focus. He was in the middle of the biggest individual win of the season, and he will net far more positive for this program than any negatives.

Its no endorsement of of poor sportsmanship or taunting...this kid is a magnet and will be responsible for turning a lot of eyes OSU's direction in a GOOD way.

A FAR worse look this weekend was the d-bags taunting Fix from the stands (can you imagine the onions to do that? )...

Its not the swagger its the stupid antics, taunting during the match and that probably direct reason for the reversal, he lost focus on the match and the goal of a major. Again the match isn't over until the ref blows the whistle, see Lambrecht if needing info on what a loss of focus can cost you.

Young kid on a huge stage with massive implications placed on his shoulders. A bunch of stoppages in a very high level right match. I’m not real worried about his “antics.” He is a different cat.

That fire and passion could was needed from several of our other guys this weekend.

mastro by no means a dumpster fire
he will AA in time

he is just not ready

Team Points Detail For: Ok State
Weight Class
Name (Grade - Place)​
Advancement Points​
Activity Points​
Placement Points​
Total Points​
125​
Trevor Mastrogiovanni (?? - 5)​
2.0​
2.5​
7.0​
11.5​
133​
Daton Fix (?? - 1)​
3.0​
3.5​
16.0​
22.5​
141​
Kaden Gfeller (?? - 8)​
0.5​
1.0​
3.0​
4.5​
149​
Boo Lewallen (?? - 1)​
3.0​
1.0​
16.0​
20.0​
157​
Wyatt Sheets (?? - ??)​
1.0​
1.0​
0.0​
2.0​
165​
Travis Wittlake (?? - 3)​
2.5​
3.0​
10.0​
15.5​
174​
Dustin Plott (?? - 4)​
2.5​
0.0​
9.0​
11.5​
184​
Dakota Geer (?? - 3)​
2.5​
3.0​
10.0​
15.5​
197​
AJ Ferrari (?? - 1)​
2.0​
0.0​
16.0​
18.0​
285​
Austin Harris (?? - ??)​
1.0​
2.0​
0.0​
3.0​
197 quarter win​
1.0​
141​
-1.0​
Total Team Points​
124.0​
I always think it's interesting to see the point totals for the tourney.

Had AJ not gotten a bye would that have netted another advancement point?

I think Zo (RTC coach) will be a big factor in Mastro's development. I expect to see a big improvement by next year.

Surber will be the answer.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Young kid on a huge stage with massive implications placed on his shoulders. A bunch of stoppages in a very high level right match. I’m not real worried about his “antics.” He is a different cat.

That fire and passion could was needed from several of our other guys this weekend.

See Austin Desanto for where the bar is regarding antics. As long as AJ stays away from that, I'm gonna love the swagger!

Also interested to see if AJ or Surber go bulk job and step up to fill our seemingly never-ending heavyweight void. Or if we're dreaming, maybe Stevenson transfers ala Steve Mocco :)

See Austin Desanto for where the bar is regarding antics. As long as AJ stays away from that, I'm gonna love the swagger!

Also interested to see if AJ or Surber go bulk job and step up to fill our seemingly never-ending heavyweight void. Or if we're dreaming, maybe Stevenson transfers ala Steve Mocco :)
To me you don't move AJ from 197 because he looks like our 2nd superstar with Daton for the future. If Surber wants to wrestle it looks like he should focus on getting better and bigger. Speaking of Iowa there is some talk Spencer Lee hurt his knee at the Big 10 Tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT