ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12s

To me you don't move AJ from 197 because he looks like our 2nd superstar with Daton for the future. If Surber wants to wrestle it looks like he should focus on getting better and bigger. Speaking of Iowa there is some talk Spencer Lee hurt his knee at the Big 10 Tournament.
That’s crazy maybe Iowa should reevaluate the way they are training them guys.

Reactions: turfpoke
Would love to see Surber bulk up and make a run at heavy if he can. It is funny for as much as a rep as we have at making guys cut a ton of weight, we've had so many guys bulk up a ton.

Would love to see Surber bulk up and make a run at heavy if he can. It is funny for as much as a rep as we have at making guys cut a ton of weight, we've had so many guys bulk up a ton.
He looked like he was well on his way up yesterday on the stage with AJ. He has a big frame he could definitely put it on .

Reactions: Air_Thurman
A little off topic but Kerk got majored by both Cassioppi and Paris this weekend. Injuries have really slowed his development.
Too bad that PSU didn't have another hvy they could have entered. I mean if Kerk is injured then they knew that going in and yet still chose to go with him.

Had AJ not gotten a bye would that have netted another advancement point?

It's already factored in ("197 quarter win"). They have to add those points manually because of the way the brackets are set up, and to avoid the system giving out backside bye points.

Reactions: osu2082
It's already factored in ("197 quarter win"). They have to add those points manually because of the way the brackets are set up, and to avoid the system giving out backside bye points.
But he could have earned potential bonus points...

Too bad that PSU didn't have another hvy they could have entered. I mean if Kerk is injured then they knew that going in and yet still chose to go with him.

I was just talking his injury history in general. He was such an elite recruit and I would of thought he would be further along 2 years into his career.

Doucet seemed to gain some ground this year. Can Surber bulk and make it work. Ferrari looks pretty bulked up already and maybe is the proper frame for 197.

I have always thought that big guys really jump levels and the 125 and 133 hit their ceilings pretty early in their careers.

One other thing about AJ last night. Much discussion about him giving up a reversal late and it did cost him a possible major but he was being aggressive and slipped when Buchanan hit AJ with his shoulder. The mats could have been slick from all of the blood removal but AJ’s left foot went out from under him.
The important point is AJ got away immediately and then got a double leg against Buchanan when most of our wrestlers would have got on their bikes and ran the last 20 seconds. That is the kind of spirit and desire that I want my athletes in all sports to have.

Doucet seemed to gain some ground this year. Can Surber bulk and make it work. Ferrari looks pretty bulked up already and maybe is the proper frame for 197.

I have always thought that big guys really jump levels and the 125 and 133 hit their ceilings pretty early in their careers.

Doucet has a chance. He will be a development guy who could look pretty good in 2 years. Surber appears to be the next guy who the staff plans to bulk up. He has the frame and the talent to make things interesting.

The big key is the development of Haas who is a blue chipper in the same vein as AJ.

Nobody is shaking hands this year. Well a few do but not supposed to.

They've shook hands the majority the time....the ref just raised their hands and lets him leave. Either way....G needs to grow the hell up or move on to civilian life. I refuse the make excuses for G and simply pawn it on the coaches. Mouthing off to officials is literally asking for a deduction point off the team score.

Last edited:
Had AJ not gotten a bye would that have netted another advancement point?
Could not almost every team ask that same question? If one of their better wrestlers got to wrestle a prelim match, wouldn’t it have benefitted their team?

I think only three OU guys got a prelim match. If they had even one more prelim match OU would be outright champs.

OU wrestled so far above their heads it’s not funny. Both very proud of them for that, and very frustrated. Where the hell was that earlier in the year?

Anywhats....the Big 12 is behind us, looking forward to the NCAAs. Would love for both teams to make a bunch of noise.

Reactions: osu2082
Could not almost every team ask that same question? If one of their better wrestlers got to wrestle a prelim match, wouldn’t it have benefitted their team?

I think only three OU guys got a prelim match. If they had even one more prelim match OU would be outright champs.

OU wrestled so far above their heads it’s not funny. Both very proud of them for that, and very frustrated. Where the hell was that earlier in the year?

Anywhats....the Big 12 is behind us, looking forward to the NCAAs. Would love for both teams to make a bunch of noise.
The problem that OU will experience is a rubber band effect, they will bounce back to where they have been all season. Hope not but it is a real phenomenon

The problem that OU will experience is a rubber band effect, they will bounce back to where they have been all season. Hope not but it is a real phenomenon
On the other hand, I see the opposite happening to OSU. They performed below their standard at Big 12s and with the momentum of ferraris match they will be hitting on all cylinders come nationals. Even though I’m a homer, I feel pretty confident saying this.

Reactions: Wrassler17
On the other hand, I see the opposite happening to OSU. They performed below their standard at Big 12s and with the momentum of ferraris match they will be hitting on all cylinders come nationals. Even though I’m a homer, I feel pretty confident saying this.
I think you could be right on both accounts. OU waaaay outperformed themselves this weekend, and one could argue OSU underperformed.

Reactions: tom_v31
I think you could be right on both accounts. OU waaaay outperformed themselves this weekend, and one could argue OSU underperformed.
Based on seeds it is fact that we underperformed. 125 Seeded 3rd finished 5th. 133 seeded 1 finished 1st. 141 unseeded finished no place. 149 seeded 1st and finished 1st. 157 seeded 6th didn't place. 165 seeded 1st finished and placed 3rd. 174 seeded 3rd finished 4th. 184 seeded 3rd and finished 3rd. 197 seeded 4th and finished 1st. HWT seeded 5th and didn't place. You could also say Daton not at lest getting a major in the finals was underperforming. Coaches getting a point taken away the team total could be viewed as underperforming. It is clear that our Coaches did not do a good job preparing the team. Yes I would hope for a better performance at Nationals. Lots of underperforming but 1 wrestler really rose to the challenge they had and that was Ferrari. I do see that injuries were involved in the underperforming.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT