ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12s

Not sure how the team score moved after Geer's match but Track definitely didn't award a bonus point for the major.
Points For: Dakota Geer

Match #​
Win Type​
Advancement Points​
Activity Points​
Total Points​
3​
MD​
1.0​
1.0​
2.0​
7​
MD​
1.0​
1.0​
2.0​
18​
MD​
0.5​
1.0​
1.5​
21​
Dec​
0.0​
0.0​
0.0​
Guaranteed Place is 3rd​
10.0​
Total Points Earned​
15.5​

Because his 3rd-place match was 7-1. Not a major.

Because his 3rd-place match was 7-1. Not a major.
Thanks.

ESPN had it as major and the announcers said the score was 9-1. Wasn't there so I'm at the mercy of the guys on the call.

It sure looked like 4 NF at the end.

OSU has had a rash of injuries and they do have a bunch of young talent, but you have to hand it to some of the other teams in the conference, they are getting better. To me, that is a good thing. I would not recommend a different coach than smith, to me, he’s the best. Can we alter our approach, of course, but who would you rather have at the helm than JOHN SMITH, nobody. The man is a winner and an innovator.

Probably blasphemy on this board but given anyone currently coaching my top pick would be Cael. Young, energetic, and understands how to coach a style which works in the current tournament scoring format. Obviously not going to happen but I don’t believe there’s much of an argument whose currently the top coach in America. We need an RTC.

Thanks.

ESPN had it as major and the announcers said the score was 9-1. Wasn't there so I'm at the mercy of the guys on the call.

It sure looked like 4 NF at the end.

There was definitely some confusion. The scoreboard read 9-1 and the PA announced a 9-1 major. I was watching on mat 2 and also thought he got the 4 count. But that announcer said it was only a 2 pt nearfall. Geer even seemed to shrug his arms at the ref at the end.

Probably blasphemy on this board but given anyone currently coaching my top pick would be Cael. Young, energetic, and understands how to coach a style which works in the current tournament scoring format. Obviously not going to happen but I don’t believe there’s much of an argument whose currently the top coach in America. We need an RTC.

Not sure why that would be blasphemy. Think that would be the general consensus.

Reactions: osufiji
Mastro couldn't get off bottom and G'Feller just medical forfeited.
There was no point in G weighing in again and wrestling, he already lost chance at an AL.

Went back and watched Mastro v Witcraft match to see if recollection was correct, it was. Pretty much the entire 3 periods in neutral with Mastro never taking a shot, backing up hoping to counter Witcraft's shots, which there were many. Witcraft got called for stalling, rightfully so for not returning Mastro to the mat, obviously he is long and difficult ult to return once standing. But difference in match was next restart, W legs in locked up head & arm, W maybe didn't see/hear the 5 count, no coach to warn him, or forgot he already had a warning. Basically shouldve been a tie match go to SV. I agree with srting M but no idea why they didn't trade off at 125 or at least both enter challenge tournament. Mastro has improved but it was painfully obvious from beginning he was going to get beat by an avg wrestler who is good on top. W proved he can get out of 133s but never given chance at 125. I do think Mastro is the future for 125 so getting matches this year is good.

There was no point in G weighing in again and wrestling, he already lost chance at an AL.

Went back and watched Mastro v Witcraft match to see if recollection was correct, it was. Pretty much the entire 3 periods in neutral with Mastro never taking a shot, backing up hoping to counter Witcraft's shots, which there were many. Witcraft got called for stalling, rightfully so for not returning Mastro to the mat, obviously he is long and difficult ult to return once standing. But difference in match was next restart, W legs in locked up head & arm, W maybe didn't see/hear the 5 count, no coach to warn him, or forgot he already had a warning. Basically shouldve been a tie match go to SV. I agree with srting M but no idea why they didn't trade off at 125 or at least both enter challenge tournament. Mastro has improved but it was painfully obvious from beginning he was going to get beat by an avg wrestler who is good on top. W proved he can get out of 133s but never given chance at 125. I do think Mastro is the future for 125 so getting matches this year is good.

They wrestled off again last week and Mastro won 2 of 3. Mastro being a true freshman who dealt with Covid and mono wasn’t great but he was better than Witcraft when it mattered.

Reactions: JAY45
Mastro showed some fight in the 5th place match. Good to see. But there is no way Reece is as bad on bottom right now. He doesn't give up 4+ minutes of riding time without trying to escape. He also has better neutral offense, Mastro is a counter wrestler that tries to hit guys with a bundle.

Reece has been rode like a dog similar to Mastro. Bottom line is neither can get off bottom. Reece has had 4 matches where he's been rode 2 minutes plus...All that being said, Reece can't beat mastro in the room and you know?? Kid can't get off bottom. The fact that Mastro had CO-VID, followed by mono, and Reece still can't beat him while have a year of college experience under his belt says a lot more about Reece than Mastro.

Reece has been rode like a dog similar to Mastro. Bottom line is neither can get off bottom. Reece has had 4 matches where he's been rode 2 minutes plus...All that being said, Reece can't beat mastro in the room and you know?? Kid can't get off bottom. The fact that Mastro had CO-VID, followed by mono, and Reece still can't beat him while have a year of college experience under his belt says a lot more about Reece than Mastro.

at 125?

They wrestled off again last week and Mastro won 2 of 3. Mastro being a true freshman who dealt with Covid and mono wasn’t great but he was better than Witcraft when it mattered.

where was this match?

at 125?

where was this match?

I was talking about last year....typing too fast. But in terms of this year...he's got rode pretty bad by Redding from ISU and Kyle Biscoglia from Northern Iowa. Jason Shaner also got riding time as well. 125/133 either one, you're going to find it hard to convince me Witcraft is an upgrade over Mastro. Mastro has wrestled ugly, no question, but Reece hasn't made the jump that others thought he would up to this point.

Well Mastro having covid/mono is sure getting a lot of play on this board. I've been reading about that for months now.

Mastro beats Witcraft H2H, that's been established at this point. But scoring points at Nationals has nothing to do with H2H. Winning against others is what is important. That's why last year the coaches told Wittlake & Shomers that whoever advanced the furthest in an open tournament would win the starting spot at 165. Witcraft didn't get that same opportunity. There was no reason for him to wrestle 133 at the Cowboy Challenge. Should have been out 125. Does he lose in the first round like Mastro did? We'll never know.

Last point, Witcraft is young for his grade and was clearly overpowered at 133 last year. If Daton doesn't take an ORS, then Witcraft redshirts and works on getting stronger. Even so, he never got ridden last year like Mastro has this year. Mastro doesn't even attempt to escape sometimes. That point is obvious.

The hand wringing over Witcraft is mind boggling to me. Kid got plenty chances at the spot and couldn’t take it. Not sure why anyone thinks he would do any better at Big 12s.

The Mastro support is mind boggling to me.

like I've said before...hard to defend Mastro's performance but I don't think either will score at nationals. This season is a wash, has been a wash for about a month. Injuries derailed any chance of a national title, much less a team title. It is what it is....if Reece is handling him in the room, he deserves to be the guy, but unfortunately he hasn't...yet!!. His age is somewhat irrelevant..he's 20 years old...not like he's 17 lol. Give both an offseason, hopefully both will wrestle in the summer some...let them scrap and may the best man win. Hell OU sitting pretty and looks like they will take home the trophy...pretty much sums up this shit show this season has been.

The Mastro support is mind boggling to me.

I just want the best guy. Don‘t care if it’s Witcraft, Burkes or Mastro. If Witcraft can’t beat Mastro for the spot I’m not sure what you are supposed to do. Kid got to wrestle for the spot two different times and couldn’t take it.

I wouldn’t be shocked if any of three were the starter next year. I just don’t see on what basis you hand the spot to Witcraft and why. There isn’t a track record of anything to have earned that.

I will say, if this was a regular year with redshirts I would 100% be in favor of giving the spot to Witcraft no matter happened in the room.

Reactions: JAY45
I recall watching a video about how nice Ohio State’s new facility/RTC are. They are sitting at 9th in the Big Ten tournament.

Reactions: osu2082
For the talk of PSU starting a bunch freshman and pushing Iowa, Iowa is up by like 35 points.

Reactions: osu2082
In the room. Best two out of three wrestle off with officials.
As we all know, doesnt tell you much about tournament competition. Doesn't mean Witcraft should be the guy but don't understand why they didn't give him a chance in the challenge. Same with with Joe v Chandler, not how you do it for picking tournament guy. :(

For the talk of PSU starting a bunch freshman and pushing Iowa, Iowa is up by like 35 points.
Big ask but Cael has done it before. Nothing he or anyone else can do about Slencer but the rest of the guys can be beat.

what would the point spread be in a Fix vs Lee folkstyle match at 57kg?

I’d say the books would have Lee as a 4 or 5 point favorite.

Boo just beat Moore to keep us in it. The Big 12 will come down to Ferrari at 197. Ferrari wins and we tie with uo but have the tie breaker (number of wins). Ferrari loses and then the squats take the title.

Reactions: Wrassler17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT