ADVERTISEMENT

Who On Here Has the Virus?

Shots in the abdomen are not needed any more unless that is where you were bit. The protocol (post exposure with no history of previous vaccination) is: vaccines on days 0, 3, 7, 14 in the deltoid muscles. Also, HRIG (antibodies against rabies) given day 0 with as much as possible at the site of the bite (if on hand or arm, the vaccines go in the opposite side deltoid). If unable to give all HRIG at the exposure site, then the rest in an arm(again, opposite the vaccine) or the thigh.

The bite was behind left upper arm midway between elbow and shoulder. Scratches were on left arm and side. My prized winter coat was shredded.

Several injections around the bite upped the size around the bite to egg size. the remainder went into left hip. Rabies shot went into right arm. The nurse said I had to lie on the cot for 20 minutes. About 30 seconds later my left arm an hip felt like anvils. 30 minutes later, my walk to the parking lot was painstakingly slow.

Reactions: iasooner1
The bite was behind left upper arm midway between elbow and shoulder. Scratches were on left arm and side. My prized winter coat was shredded.

Several injections around the bite upped the size around the bite to egg size. the remainder went into left hip. Rabies shot went into right arm. The nurse said I had to lie on the cot for 20 minutes. About 30 seconds later my left arm an hip felt like anvils. 30 minutes later, my walk to the parking lot was painstakingly slow.

Sounds like the did a good job. Sorry about the after shot effects. Did that happen in Texas by chance?

Have been bitten by quite a few dogs but never a poisonous snake, I bet that was painful Sunburnt.

Just after dark I was in the front yard barefoot across the street from Waco's Owens-Illinois glass plant. I felt what I thought was a scorpion sting but the pain didn't subside as the scorpion sting does. The next morning, with a grey foot 2 times the size of the right, I visited Hillcrest ER. The doctor immediately treated for copperhead bite. The doctor told me the glass plant is a haven for copperheads and he showed me the 2 puncture marks. It was a little one. It would have killed a child. A larger one would have done me much more damage. One toe remained looking like a grape for six months.

A couple years ago, a Waco teenager was bitten by a copperhead. His bitten hand was 2 times the size of the other. We had the same symptoms. He made the Waco Tribune-Herald. I did not.

Sounds like the did a good job. Sorry about the after shot effects. Did that happen in Texas by chance?

Yes, in Texas. One of the regular rabies shots in the right arm
caused extreme redness and about 48 hours of severe itching. The other rabies shots in the arms? Not a hitch.

I went in for my final rabies shot. I was down 8 pounds. The nurse said we must run some tests before your final shot. They discovered pneumonia. After the diagnosis, they gave my final rabies injection and instructed me to see my regular doctor in one week.

When all was done, I received more shots in a month than I've received in the last quarter century.

Just after dark I was in the front yard barefoot across the street from Waco's Owens-Illinois glass plant. I felt what I thought was a scorpion sting but the pain didn't subside as the scorpion sting does. The next morning, with a grey foot 2 times the size of the right, I visited Hillcrest ER. The doctor immediately treated for copperhead bite. The doctor told me the glass plant is a haven for copperheads and he showed me the 2 puncture marks. It was a little one. It would have killed a child. A larger one would have done me much more damage. One toe remained looking like a grape for six months.

A couple years ago, a Waco teenager was bitten by a copperhead. His bitten hand was 2 times the size of the other. We had the same symptoms. He made the Waco Tribune-Herald. I did not.
Not a lot of anti venom out there. Lucky Hillcrest had it.

bronco, my Jan., 2018 rabies series found injections at the pit bull bite site, remainder of something in the hip. Then a rabies shot in the arm. Then I returned to Scott & White ER for the remainder rabies injections every 7 days. Someone told me injections in the abdomen, but there weren't any.

The truck driver team dog owners bolted before animal control showed.

Someone has since told me abdomen injections is old school. Is this so? Accept for one serious rabies injection side effect, it was pretty much a breeze. Before starting the series, I heard horror stories.

It was actually a snap compared to a 1973 copperhead bite. Even the dog attack.
I underwent the rabies series in the late '70s. Mine were not for a bite but to immunize me for working 4 years in a virus lab dealing with rabies, influenza and certain arboviruses (encephalitis viruses).

At the time, the vaccine was made in duck embryos which are foreign to the body and elicited quite a reaction. My injections were several days apart and not in my stomach. (They burned on injection---only time I considered pulling the MDs hand and syringe away.) Part of the reason they were placed in the stomach was they needed subcutaneous tissue (lots around most stomachs) but they also used the navel as the "center of a clock" and put the shots at each hour. They could tell from the skin reactions where the previous injection was placed as they were taken on consecutive days.

Shortly after my injections they began making the vaccine in human diploid cells. This allowed for less injections and not being placed in the stomach. Being developed in human tissues made the reactions less severe and more tolerable. I'm assuming the protocols have changed even more since then.

Last edited:
I underwent the rabies series in the late '70s. Mine were not for a bite but to immunize me for working 4 years in a virus lab dealing with rabies, influenza and certain arboviruses (encephalitis viruses).

At the time, the vaccine was made in duck embryos which are foreign to the body and elicited quite a reaction. My injections were several days apart and not in my stomach. (They burned on injection---only time I considered pulling the MDs hand and syringe away.) Part of the reason they were placed in the stomach was they needed subcutaneous tissue (lots around most stomachs) but they also used the navel as the "center of a clock" and put the shots at each hour. They could tell from the skin reactions where the previous injection was placed as they were taken on consecutive days.

Shortly after my injections they began making the vaccine in human diploid cells. This allowed for less injections and not being placed in the stomach. Being developed in human tissues made the reactions less severe and more tolerable. I'm assuming the protocols have changed even more since then.

Good background! Now they are either human diploid or purified chick embryo origin and far less reactive. Still quite expensive, though.

Good background! Now they are either human diploid or purified chick embryo origin and far less reactive. Still quite expensive, though.
Fortunately, the State of Texas paid for my injections. It was interesting that I worked in a complex with many doctors and nurses who could have administered the injections. But, they sent me (us) to an outside MD because they didn't want the liability if I had a negative reaction.

I heard stories about the abdomen injections similar to what you two say prior to mine. I was nervous. I waited 10 days to start while animal control tried to track down the husband/wife truck driver team who owned the dog. The Petro Truck Stop in Weatherford, TX has indoor security cameras but no cameras at the truck parking site. I used the back trucker entrance with plans to dine at the salad bar when the incident occurred.

The husband of a lady the gf knows was feeling really bad a few days ago so he went to the ER and is now on life support. Big strapping Marine in his early 40's fit as a fiddle but it has done a number on him. Have not heard anything today how he is doing, hope he can recover.

The husband of a lady the gf knows was feeling really bad a few days ago so he went to the ER and is now on life support. Big strapping Marine in his early 40's fit as a fiddle but it has done a number on him. Have not heard anything today how he is doing, hope he can recover.

Everyone's should-have checklist:

Last Will & Testament
Durable Power of Attorney
Health Care Power of Attorney
Advanced Directive

If you don't have any of the above, get on the state's web site and at least, fill out an Advanced Directive.

The damn Like button is not our friend. Sucks for that family. Not a prayer, but really hoping for the best for this family - hitting closer and closer to home.

3/28/20

Positive 322
Negative 1084
Hospitalized 105
Deaths 8

Only ~1400 people tested in Oklahoma. That’s awful.

I guarantee there are far far more people who have the virus in OK than 322. The hospitalization percentage up around 33% is another huge indicator.

Below are yesterday’s numbers for Colorado. Hospitalization rate less than half of OK.

1,734 cases*
239 hospitalized
42 counties
11,676 people tested
31 deaths
9 outbreaks at residential and non-hospital health care facilities

Reactions: Been Jammin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT