ADVERTISEMENT

What, no turkey hunters?

Eden3408

2nd Team
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2003
Bixby, OK
I took a couple of friends to our place and they each killed a longbeard, I killed two longbeards with one shot. The toms are moving and actively looking for the hens. Great times with great friends are pretty hard to beat.

My birds:

Geron's bird:

John's bird:

This post was edited on 4/9 11:25 AM by Eden3408
This post was edited on 4/9 11:27 AM by Eden3408

Awesome! Went out Friday with the bow. Was covered up most of the day but (as often as it is with a bow) the shooting opportunities were limited.

Nice birds! A buddy of mine and I went up to his place in near Woodward and got these birds Saturday morning. I'm headed to my parents place in Jefferson County this weekend to continue the streak.

We just moved onto a new lease April 1st. I spent the weekend working at the lease and Michael and his buddy got to have fun. They got one, I'll post a pic later.

Originally posted by Pokes15:
Nice birds! A buddy of mine and I went up to his place in near Woodward and got these birds Saturday morning. I'm headed to my parents place in Jefferson County this weekend to continue the streak.

We were pretty close; our place is in Freedom. Man the birds were acting just perfect. We shot all our tom's with hens; calls got them to leave the hens.

Not to hijack any thread or diminsh anyone's turkey but is anyone else finding turkey season with a shotgun somewhat of a "sure thing" or non-sport? I have shot more than my fair share of longbeards with a gun however, the older I get the easier it has become. I have slowly migrated towards the stick and the few times I do take a gun nowadays leaves me feeling somewhat empty inside.

Am I nuts?

I see your point somewhat. 2 years ago I had birds just falling in my lap. I could have probably shot 15 tom's the first weekend. Switch over to last year, I didn't even get a bird ( I was mainly bow hunting, which contributed). This past weekend we hunted very hard and came away with two birds. I prefer to run and gun and chase turkey's down, which makes it more of a challenge, especially in the country we were hunting with little to no cover.

I hunted 2 1/2 days this week, we killed 1 turkey, would of been 2 but my friends shell was bad. The turkeys wouldn't hardly talk last night, the fog killed us this morning, late morning the turkeys would gobble, but hang up. I'm hunting areas that I don't spend a lot of time on, so it's definitely no sure thing.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The pictures and stories are surely appreciated, and make me want to strut. For lack of a good place, I haven't hunted spring turkeys in several years. Bowhunting makes it several times harder to bag one. The real fun in turkey hunting to me is the calling, and watching a tom come in to a call, hang up and then mix up the calling to get him moving in again is high entertainment. I usually take a call with me in the fall when deer hunting and call in a flock pretty often, so more years than not, I get a fall bird. Great eating!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT