ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Mocco on Iowa vs oSu fans

Thanks for sharing.

Can’t speak for everyone, but I feel like as an OSU fan no matter how angry/frustrated I get with teams/players I always am more like that parent that is just disappointed, not angry. But if that kid clearly left it out there on the mat I can still be proud in a loss.

May scream at the TV while I’m at home but that’s probably as derogatory as I will ever get.

Not a lot of times the last few years I felt it was all left out on the mat though if I’m being honest. And that’s definitely frustrating.

Thanks for sharing.

Can’t speak for everyone, but I feel like as an OSU fan no matter how angry/frustrated I get with teams/players I always am more like that parent that is just disappointed, not angry. But if that kid clearly left it out there on the mat I can still be proud in a loss.

May scream at the TV while I’m at home but that’s probably as derogatory as I will ever get.

Not a lot of times the last few years I felt it was all left out on the mat though if I’m being honest. And that’s definitely frustrating.
+1

I can’t imagine screaming at people outside of legitimate safety issues. Much less kids, refs, people doing things I can’t do, etc. Maybe “The Boy Who Cried Wolf” is a strong part of OK culture lol

I will boo and swear at the tv though for sure. Sometimes the tv deserves it

BBQ corn, grilled corn, raw corn, zesty corn, old bay corn, sweet corn, butter corn, pepper corn, BUBBA GUMP CORN!

CORN FED AND IMBRED!!! 😆

I used to tell my wife that about where she grew up.... now I live there too!

Well, Chief, there’s wrestling talk and then there’s Iowa wrestling talk filled with vitriol, slurs and sarcasm. The moment anyone related to the organization slips up, out comes the pitchforks and the hangman’s noose. I could not imagine being part such a toxic environment.

Sarcasm? I resemble that remark. On the rest, we somewhat agree. I would argue that we have the most posters, along with haters/trolls, than any other forum in the sport and the buffoonery is therefore more pronounced. Our sense of entitlement is only out done by our passion for the sport which is why I still stick around.

So what’s worse…sparse traffic or us? I dunno. Until the hiring of DT gave you guys a shot in the arm, it was fairly dead around these parts. Anyways, good luck with the rebuild; going to be some f** happenings coming your way.

This forum has been lively in my four years here. So I wouldn’t say that DTs hiring brought it to life. That seems like a needless jab… typical Iowa fan!

Jk lol. I feel for yall in the forum realm. You have an amazing program but also have enough of “I’m grumpy and want you to know about it” fans on the board to distract from any quality convos that happen.

Also I’m a little surprised at the “nothing to do in Iowa except grow crops!” comments coming from Oklahomans of all people, lol. All good
Sarcasm? I resemble that remark. On the rest, we somewhat agree. I would argue that we have the most posters, along with haters/trolls, than any other forum in the sport and the buffoonery is therefore more pronounced. Our sense of entitlement is only out done by our passion for the sport which is why I still stick around.

So what’s worse…sparse traffic or us? I dunno. Until the hiring of DT gave you guys a shot in the arm, it was fairly dead around these parts. Anyways, good luck with the rebuild; going to be some f** happenings coming your way.

OK, nothing to do but grow corn is a bit of pot calling the kettle black, and was a bit back handed. I think their site is insanely busy but insanely toxic. I would rather have our site any day and we have been busy way before DT, it’s just not half as busy as the Hawkeye forum. If you are an outsider or someone with a differing opinion on their forum, Wo unto you. They will shout you down.
Steve Mocco said on his video that in Iowa if you are winning they Love you but if you lose they hate you. In Oklahoma, it’s a bit friendlier and more mature (just the just of what he was saying is all I remember, I could be wrong). I like it better here in Oklahoma any day. Go Pokes

OK, nothing to do but grow corn is a bit of pot calling the kettle black, and was a bit back handed. I think their site is insanely busy but insanely toxic. I would rather have our site any day and we have been busy way before DT, it’s just not half as busy as the Hawkeye forum. If you are an outsider or someone with a differing opinion on their forum, Wo unto you. They will shout you down.
Steve Mocco said on his video that in Iowa if you are winning they Love you but if you lose they hate you. In Oklahoma, it’s a bit friendlier and more mature (just the just of what he was saying is all I remember, I could be wrong). I like it better here in Oklahoma any day. Go Pokes
Hey just teasing you a bit. At least when folks post here its usually about wrestling. More posters means more non-sequiturs and the Iowa board certainly has a lot of drama. The Vhsalum saga has been particularly juicy since they post here too - I'll just leave this gem here for anyone that wants to troll the depths

Now I'll see myself out for not posting about wrestling.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
Hey just teasing you a bit. At least when folks post here its usually about wrestling. More posters means more non-sequiturs and the Iowa board certainly has a lot of drama. The Vhsalum saga has been particularly juicy since they post here too - I'll just leave this gem here for anyone that wants to troll the depths

You should always capitalize the word "Wrestling."

Reactions: lookleft goright
The corn thing is just a joke. I had the pleasure of driving from Chicago to Omaha (and on to Lincoln an Grand Island) via Davenport, Iowa City and Des Moines on I-80 in one day and back again a few of days later and I'd say the number one thing I saw was grass. I think I saw three trees going through IC and five more west of DM but that was about it. I think I saw a few cows as well.

Honestly, not a bad drive. A lot like Kansas/Colorado I-70 but infinitely preferable to I-40 from Oklahoma to Nashville (which I just drove).

Last edited:
@tom_v31
Remember when you came to the Iowa board to teach me how to spell Oklahoma State style? I sure do. Funny how you disappeared after that.

Tom_v31

"What the freak is a dual? Do you mean duel? I wish you’d make a little more sense and thought when you write a post, especial when it appears you’re attacking me. I’m not sure though, I don’t speak gibberish. Go pokes!"

You are right, that is juicy, and did I see the Vhsalum wrestled for the Brands?

The corn thing is just a joke. I had the pleasure of driving from Chicago to Omaha (and on to Lincoln an Grand Island) via Davenport, Iowa City and Des Moines on I-80 in one day and back again a few of days later and I'd say the number one thing I saw was grass. I think I saw three trees going through IC and five more west of DM but that was about it. I think I saw a few cows as well.

Honestly, not a bad drive. A lot like Kansas/Colorado I-70 but infinitely preferable to I-40 from Oklahoma to Nashville (which I just drove).
Lonely roads for sure.

@tom_v31
Remember when you came to the Iowa board to teach me how to spell Oklahoma State style? I sure do. Funny how you disappeared after that.

Tom_v31

"What the freak is a dual? Do you mean duel? I wish you’d make a little more sense and thought when you write a post, especial when it appears you’re attacking me. I’m not sure though, I don’t speak gibberish. Go pokes!"
And then, like that he was blocked🪄

That’s the difference having moderators makes. Iowa board doesn’t have any. We do. I had a post removed recently when I was needlessly barbed about something. It was a good thing. Much better ways to spend energy than on internet jabs.
I am not a moderator but I can ignore. Hopefully, the moderator does take not and keeps that septic, needless crap out of our forum.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
I am not a moderator but I can ignore. Hopefully, the moderator does take not and keeps that septic, needless crap out of our forum.
You came to the Iowa board and tried to crap talk me by saying I spelled wrestling "dual" wrong. Do you understand where I'm coming from?

Put your six shooter away Pilgrim. I'm just passing through town like always.

Rivals are free boards with no faces. Always has been.

I'm glad to see this board active again. Refreshing for the old timers here that have seen it all.
So, again, this isn't your home board and you should participate accordingly. If you don't you won't be allowed to post, pilgrim.

So, again, this isn't your home board and you should participate accordingly. If you don't you won't be allowed to post, pilgrim.
I'm definitely participating accordingly. No different than the last 15 years I've posted.

This thread is about Iowa after all. If you can't handle some banter just ignore my handle and your problem is solved

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Not that I know what the hell I’m talking about but I’ll try to give an outsider’s perspective.

As a lifelong wrestling fan, Iowa, Ok State, Penn State all have very passionate fans. Part of it is because we are all farm states (outside few urban areas). Wrestling was big in all these areas because it’s was an easy sport to fund in a fairly poor town. When you have fans that tend to not have much else going on or much else to look forward to then this is what comes from it. I’m a PSU fan and not all of those fans are great either, several bad interactions with PSU fans, not much interaction with OK State fans other than very positive.

But I do want to take the time to delineate perception and reality. I hunt in Iowa every year. I cannot begin to tell you how great the people are in the state as a whole. I mean, they are honestly the best. Forgot my wallet at a small store as I was buying new binoculars and broadheads. The gentleman just said, I trust you, see you when you can bring me back the money (Which I immediately did). And let me leave the store with the stuff without paying. This was everywhere I went, just awesome people who genuinely are salt of the earth. Every time I hang with Iowa fans at wrestling events we always, always, always get along.

All that said, I cannot seem to figure out why many on that board and in their fan base are so rabid. Because it’s genuinely NOT indicative of the state and its people. It seems that there tends to be several fans who over reach their bounds with no internal correction. Some of the things said in the stands at Carver would be absolutely self policed by other fan bases and seem to get left untouched by people who know better. It’s like the drug addicted family member who gets held accountable in some homes and coddled in others. Maybe it’s just blind loyalty. Not sure. Just my two cents. I think it’s important to understand the difference and that the people in that state are really awesome.

Not that I know what the hell I’m talking about but I’ll try to give an outsider’s perspective.

As a lifelong wrestling fan, Iowa, Ok State, Penn State all have very passionate fans. Part of it is because we are all farm states (outside few urban areas). Wrestling was big in all these areas because it’s was an easy sport to fund in a fairly poor town. When you have fans that tend to not have much else going on or much else to look forward to then this is what comes from it. I’m a PSU fan and not all of those fans are great either, several bad interactions with PSU fans, not much interaction with OK State fans other than very positive.

But I do want to take the time to delineate perception and reality. I hunt in Iowa every year. I cannot begin to tell you how great the people are in the state as a whole. I mean, they are honestly the best. Forgot my wallet at a small store as I was buying new binoculars and broadheads. The gentleman just said, I trust you, see you when you can bring me back the money (Which I immediately did). And let me leave the store with the stuff without paying. This was everywhere I went, just awesome people who genuinely are salt of the earth. Every time I hang with Iowa fans at wrestling events we always, always, always get along.

All that said, I cannot seem to figure out why many on that board and in their fan base are so rabid. Because it’s genuinely NOT indicative of the state and its people. It seems that there tends to be several fans who over reach their bounds with no internal correction. Some of the things said in the stands at Carver would be absolutely self policed by other fan bases and seem to get left untouched by people who know better. It’s like the drug addicted family member who gets held accountable in some homes and coddled in others. Maybe it’s just blind loyalty. Not sure. Just my two cents. I think it’s important to understand the difference and that the people in that state are really awesome.
There is a yankee effect that comes into play. My in-laws live on the Iowa/Missouri line and they are great great people but they are also extremely anal retentive. Very kind but will freak plum out when things aren’t going to plan. I’ve noticed this about almost everyone north of Wichita. The company I work for is based out of northeast Kansas and those guys will go from giving someone the shirt off their back to burning the house of anyone that gets in their way in about 3 seconds.

It does seem a bit odd.

There is a yankee effect that comes into play. My in-laws live on the Iowa/Missouri line and they are great great people but they are also extremely anal retentive. Very kind but will freak plum out when things aren’t going to plan. I’ve noticed this about almost everyone north of Wichita. The company I work for is based out of northeast Kansas and those guys will go from giving someone the shirt off their back to burning the house of anyone that gets in their way in about 3 seconds.
Missouri people can be Cray-Cray too, big time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT