ADVERTISEMENT

Fargo and related OSU recruiting/transfer news

When looking at the dominance of those states I think the first thing you do is look at proximity to wrestling colleges.
Pennsylvania has a combined 40 NCAA wrestling schools with 7 of those being D1
New York has 24 and 6
Ohio has 22 and 4
New Jersey has 8 and 3
Oklahoma has 3 and 2

I think North is having success because they are perfectly located 45 minutes from both D1 universities and in the backyard of the D2 National Champs

Umm, I agree. The past has some cache. It helps with a fan base and with money, plus, most kids know a little bit of history (specially in their perspective states), but you’re right, “what have you done for me lately” is what matters most. It only benefits wrestling as a whole to have parity at some level. Having PSU so dominant has helped wrestling in that now, more money is being poured into the sport as well as innovation in training and philosophy. In turn, we are seeing the results at the world level.
Agree that overall history is a foundation for fan support and alumni donations.

Reactions: rcsone1
When looking at the dominance of those states I think the first thing you do is look at proximity to wrestling colleges.
New York has 24 and 6
Ohio has 22 and 4
New Jersey has 8 and 3
Oklahoma has 3 and 2

I think North is having success because they are perfectly located 45 minutes from both D1 universities and in the backyard of the D2 National Champs
@AtownPoke and I have had some discussions on the remedy for this. I am pretty sure it's been talked about the desire for DT to bring this area back as well.

If we have a strong, unified and uniform youth system, combined with the endorsement of John Smith and his coaching tree, we can compete with talent of areas that have multiple college training options.

@AtownPoke and I have had some discussions on the remedy for this. I am pretty sure it's been talked about the desire for DT to bring this area back as well.

If we have a strong, unified and uniform youth system, combined with the endorsement of John Smith and his coaching tree, we can compete with talent of areas that have multiple college training options.
Agree but how do you do that? It seems the best HS programs have coaches that know how to teach and how to invite college coaches to come in for an instructional session. How do you get former college wrestlers into the HS coaching ranks? That would seem to be the fastest way to start upgrading talent overall. Does your benefactor provide some sort of incentive to HS coaches who produce quality? Thoughts?

Reactions: bwel9339
Agree but how do you do that? It seems the best HS programs have coaches that know how to teach and how to invite college coaches to come in for an instructional session. How do you get former college wrestlers into the HS coaching ranks? That would seem to be the fastest way to start upgrading talent overall. Does your benefactor provide some sort of incentive to HS coaches who produce quality? Thoughts?
We could follow the example of AWA club program. Their results have been seismic.

We could follow the example of AWA club program. Their results have been seismic.
That was what I wanted but Chase and others believe the HCs in our state have too much power to pull that off. Each major High school program has its own local clubs that feed what they want for the most part. No unified style or standard that could raise state wide success

That was what I wanted but Chase and others believe the HCs in our state have too much power to pull that off. Each major High school program has its own local clubs that feed what they want for the most part. No unified style or standard that could raise state wide success
Nothing but a little money couldn’t handle

I've always thought Jax is OSU's to lose. Losing him would be a real loss. I think you get him. Gilman should be a draw.

Cael fights for everyone but my personal sense is that Mocco is in play for OSU more than PSU. Hope I am wrong.

Melvin Miller, IMO, is all in on PSU. I would be surprised if that changed.

I think OSU is still working on the 2025 class. I think at least one more committed guy flips to OSU. More to come.
Not sure if it was you, but I remember someone saying Jude Correa is thinking about flipping his commitment from Michigan.

Reactions: tom_v31
Not sure if it was you, but I remember someone saying Jude Correa is thinking about flipping his commitment from Michigan.
It wasn’t me but at least one of Correa, Ludington, and Burton are being whispered to. We should have all expected kids rethinking commitments when such a headline name becomes head coach. All of these guys would be rolling with DT and possibly Dake if he joins the team. If you are an upper weight 17 year old and have ANY intl goals, then how can you not entertain a move to OSU.

Oklahoma has 3 and 2
Say what? Pretty sure 2 and 1.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Do we? I am really ignorant to this, I've never heard of it.

Yes Wisconsin came out of nowhere because of Askren, other states can do the same, it obviously took some time though he's almost 40. That being said, he started from scratch, you guys do have history and DT. So that being said I don't think it will take 20 years for something like AWA to happen in your state. BUT the closet I've ever come to your state is Missouri when I was 10 so I have bo idea.

Well, I've lived in South Carolina for 14 years now so that's gotta count for something. :p
that said, I am PSU through and through. Grew up in Lock Haven, 30 minutes from PSU, one of my roommates in college was Dave Paterno. he was electrical engineering crazy. i once saved Sue Paterno's life when she almost fell down a spiral staircase with a basket of her son's laundry. Moms being mom.

Well, there’s a lot to the idea honestly. The club scene has to work together and agree to push the sport, and not poach.

One or two big clubs like AWA is much more likely.

The list of college wrestling programs in Oklahoma are:
Carl Albert State College,
Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College,
Northern Oklahoma College,
Oklahoma City University,
Oklahoma State University,
Oklahoma Wesleyan University,
University of Central Oklahoma, and
University of Oklahoma

OU? Thought they quit? I'm sure if they still had a program that Micco kid would still be on here telling us how they are gonna win 10 weight classes this year. Yeah I'm pretty sure they no longer exist don't even seem em on the football schedule, their wagon done rolled over. ;)
Does OU still have a ribbon dance team?

jonas-brothers-joe-jonas.gif

Heard the same
I'm an Iowa fan and my good friend who is on this forum, but never comments is a die hard Okie fan. I'll admit that he is usually spot on with info and rumors. He heard Forrest is leaning towards Penn State because he wants to stay close to his family. He didn't care if I post it in here. Trust me, I rather see him go to Okie State than PSU.

Reactions: AtownPoke
I'm an Iowa fan and my good friend who is on this forum, but never comments is a die hard Okie fan. I'll admit that he is usually spot on with info and rumors. He heard Forrest is leaning towards Penn State because he wants to stay close to his family. He didn't care if I post it in here. Trust me, I rather see him go to Okie State than PSU.
Thanks for the insight but it's counterproductive say you like us better than PSU and call us "Okie State". Consider if I were to say, "I like you Bow-Necked, Hickiefied Hawkeyes better than those pedophilistic PSUers." Let's just stick with Pokes/OKState/OSU, Hawkeyes/Iowa & PSU/Penn Staters??

Thanks for the insight but it's counterproductive say you like us better than PSU and call us "Okie State". Consider if I were to say, "I like you Bow-Necked, Hickiefied Hawkeyes better than those pedophilistic PSUers." Let's just stick with Pokes/OKState/OSU, Hawkeyes/Iowa & PSU/Penn Staters??
To be fair, I didn't know Okie St was not preferred until I read it on here a month or so ago. I always use OSU, but I imagine it was an innocent mistake. As for bow-necked, hickiefied Hawkeyes, it's not an insult if it's true. My computer won't show any other part of your post after that. Odd.

The list of college wrestling programs in Oklahoma are:
Carl Albert State College,
Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College,
Northern Oklahoma College,
Oklahoma City University,
Oklahoma State University,
Oklahoma Wesleyan University,
University of Central Oklahoma, and
University of Oklahoma
only 3 of those are NCAA- others are NAIA or juco

Reactions: tom_v31 and OHkie
Time will tell. I refuse to get up in arms until the ink dries, and even then, you don’t know. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ummmm ok.

Reactions: AtownPoke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT