ADVERTISEMENT

Scuffle.

184 - Haas drops a 3-1 Dec in SV on a scramble
Haas has very little wrestling IQ and finds a way to lose. He was riding his opponent with ease gets 1 minute riding time in the second period and then gets high his choice and gives up the escape. In the 3rd period he gets ridden for a few seconds and loses his riding time point. In over time his opponent is on his stomach and coaches say get around him and he decides to go over the top and his opponent gets his legs for the takedown.

Reactions: bwel9339
Mastro is very frustrating to watch. Can Hughes make 125 next year? Anything is better than watching a guy lose while he takes 1 or 2 shots every match
I just watched the Mastro match and he is behind 1 to 0 and he has to take neutral for fear of getting rode out. Mastro takes 1 good shot the whole match and deservedly loses.

Reactions: bwel9339 and DPJ
141 - Young gets ridden the entire 3rd period. Drops a 5-2 Dec
I watched Carter Young's match and he lost a takedown in the 1st period when he is on the edge totally loses focus gets bumped falls on his rear and his opponent grabs his legs that are just laying there for the takedown . Then gets ridden 2 minutes in the 3rd for the loss. His shots are slow and he can't get takedowns against good opponents. No development.

I don’t care how bad mastro is at getting off bottom you have to choose down in that situation. As bad as he is the odds are still better for him to get the escape than to take a damn shot and finish.

Fix has a tendency sometimes of wrestling down to his competition. He hasn’t looked great but he does what he needs to do to get the win. When you are one of the top guys everyone you wrestle is going to give you all they got and go for broke.

Young again wrestled with no heart to get ridden out in the 3rd against someone he is supposed to be better than.

On a positive note. Voinovich looks good and I think outside of the bad call Surber is wrestling really well.

Reactions: bwel9339 and DPJ
He has the lowest wrestling IQ I've seen in a while.
I wonder if having Zack corner him might make a difference. Something I've picked up on between Reno and the Scuffle is what the coaches yell.

Chris yells stuff like "go to him", "heavy hands" and "snap down". Very Iowa like. Things that are probably good for someone like Doucett, who needs to be more aggressive. Zack yells stuff like "head position", "watch the headlock" and "clear that tie". Things that might be better for someone who needs to focus more on technique like Haas.

In his earlier loss, John yelled "keep him on his hands". With 25 seconds left and a 2 pt lead, I was thinking you probably want to tell him no reversals, no rolls.

I just watched the Mastro match and he is behind 1 to 0 and he has to take neutral for fear of getting rode out. Mastro takes 1 good shot the whole match and deservedly loses.
Yeah why take neutral and then not make a committed attempt at getting a td?

I wonder if having Zack corner him might make a difference. Something I've picked up on between Reno and the Scuffle is what the coaches yell.

Chris yells stuff like "go to him", "heavy hands" and "snap down". Very Iowa like. Things that are probably good for someone like Doucett, who needs to be more aggressive. Zack yells stuff like "head position", "watch the headlock" and "clear that tie". Things that might be better for someone who needs to focus more on technique like Haas.

In his earlier loss, John yelled "keep him on his hands". With 25 seconds left and a 2 pt lead, I was thinking you probably want to tell him no reversals, no rolls.
In the last 2 years I am really questioning the results that our coaching staff get. I watched Daton where he actually struggled with the 20 th rated wrestler and Voinovich won against an unranked opponent and wins a close but decisive match. I don't like how any of the Cowboys are wrestling.

285 - Doucet wins in OT on RT and will wrestle for 3rd

Reverse of his match against the Minnesota guy he lost to during the dual meet.

4 in the Finals
6 going for 3rd
2 going for 7th
10 did not place

Young at 141 is the only starter not wrestling for 1st or 3rd

Reactions: JAY45
I don’t care how bad mastro is at getting off bottom you have to choose down in that situation. As bad as he is the odds are still better for him to get the escape than to take a damn shot and finish.

Fix has a tendency sometimes of wrestling down to his competition. He hasn’t looked great but he does what he needs to do to get the win. When you are one of the top guys everyone you wrestle is going to give you all they got and go for broke.

Young again wrestled with no heart to get ridden out in the 3rd against someone he is supposed to be better than.

On a positive note. Voinovich looks good and I think outside of the bad call Surber is wrestling really well.
If anyone remembers Brandon Mason, sophomore AA who struggled mightily to get off bottom, John would force him to take down so he could work on it during a match.

Maybe John’s philosophy on that has changed, I don’t know..

Last edited:
If anyone remembers Brandon Mason, sophomore AA who struggled mightily to get off bottom, John would force him to take down so he could work on it during a match.

Maybe John’s philosophy on that has changed, I don’t know..
Yeah but here is the problem… Mastro is in his 3rd year and still has shown zero improvement after 3 years of working and forcing the matter. It’s a really really bad sign at this point. He has a fear of taking bottom bc mentally he has zero confidence which makes the idea of getting off bottom impossible to do.

Yeah…Brandon was a redshirt sophomore (third year guy) as an AA, and lost quite a few matches his junior and senior year because he didn’t have the mental ability to get off the bottom. I have no doubt the kid worked at it all the time as well…in practice, during live matches. He just never seemed to develop past his sophomore year as a wrestler.

Just my take.

Back in the day the ability to get off the bottom was viewed in terms like toughness, effort, and determination. No clue how coaches look at it today. There’s zero chance a kid who has been on our room two or more years doesn’t have the coaching to be successful off bottom.

Back in the day the ability to get off the bottom was viewed in terms like toughness, effort, and determination. No clue how coaches look at it today. There’s zero chance a kid who has been on our room two or more years doesn’t have the coaching to be successful off bottom.
It can also be harder for certain body types/styles. Mastro & Young are similar in that respect. I'm surprised they don't work more on that move that G & Fix use for reversal but maybe it just doesn't work for them in the practice room.

Reactions: lawpoke87 and driad
Maybe we could get Spencer Lee to transfer in for his 7th year, this is pathetic.

Reactions: DPJ
125 - Mastro loses a 9-3 Dec to the guy from Stanford that he beat 3-1 earlier in the tourney.

Last edited:
Mastro braces up on the whistle and asks his opponent to sit on his foot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT