ADVERTISEMENT

Scuffle.

Voinovich beats Missouri 5 to 2. 2 powerful takedowns in the first for the win. I don't know why he slowed down after the first
Sheets and G wrestle bad matches and both lose. All G needed to do to win was get an escape in the 30 second period but couldn't do it. He seemed to want the refs to give it to him. Haas unbelievably lost a match it appeared he couldn't lose but he kept screwing up. Lost on a takedown in over time. In the 3rd period he gives up a stalling point and in the last seconds he gave up a reversal that tied the match. Haas seemed to have a good chance to get the takedown but started foolishly rolling around and gave it up.

Last edited:
Sheets and G wrestle bad matches and both lose. All G needed to do to win was get an escape in the 30 second period but couldn't do it. He seemed to want the refs to give it to him. Haas unbelievably lost a match it appeared he couldn't lose but he kept screwing up. Lost on a takedown in over time. In the 3rd period he gives up a stalling point and in the last seconds he gave up a reversal that tied the match. Haas seemed to have a good chance to get the takedown but started foolishly rolling around and gave it up.
I think Wittlake won a close match with Hawk of Missouri.

197 - Surber gets screwed on a review after there was a TD and reversal. Loses 3-2. John is not happy with the call. Was tied 1-1.

Surber loses 3 to 2 on a controversial decision that of course we lost. This match but many more we had good shots at takedowns and didn't get them. We get a leg up high and instead of taking the opponent to the center of the mat we let our opponents take us to the edge of the mat and we can't get both legs. Plott won a solid decision.

Last edited:
Did they review that Surber did not get the reversal? I’ve never seen a more clear reversal.

Reactions: DPJ
The guy Surber lost to is ranked #10 on intermat.
Doucette gave up a first period takedown so of course he loses 3 to 2. In a weak tournament where we sent everyone we have I believe 5 in the semi's. 6 made it because Stitka got to the semi's also.

Last edited:
Surber loses 3 to 2 on a controversial decision that of course we lost. This match but many more we had good shots at takedowns and didn't get them. We get a leg up high and instead of taking the opponent to the center of the mat we let our opponents take us to the edge of the mat and we can't get both legs. Plott won a solid decision.
I don't understand that call at all. I don't think it was a takedown to begin with and then I don't know how in the hell they said luke didn't have a reversal. Very confusing. I think John wanted to kill that ref.

Did they review that Surber did not get the reversal? I’ve never seen a more clear reversal.
Also G's takedown at end looked pretty clear (not reviewed) it should have been stalling 1pt and takedown 2pt.

Did they review that Surber did not get the reversal? I’ve never seen a more clear reversal
The challenge was the reversal. The ref did give it too soon. Surber eventually secured it but Maryland challenged the call because their guy gave up on the scramble when the reversal was prematurely awarded. Therefore, they reversed the reversal and went back to the second the reversal was prematurely awarded and put Surber down. The wrong call was the takedown for Maryland. It was never there. But John Smith never challenged it. The right call was no points for Maryland (or to complicate the controversy….maybe 2 danger neutral back points) and a takedown for Surber. But the ref made two bad calls and only one was challenged. That is all my take after rewatching it several times.

Not really seeing much at this average tournament that tells me we improved on much over the last couple weeks.

The challenge was the reversal. The ref did give it too soon. Surber eventually secured it but Maryland challenged the call because their guy gave up on the scramble when the reversal was prematurely awarded. Therefore, they reversed the reversal and went back to the second the reversal was prematurely awarded and put Surber down. The wrong call was the takedown for Maryland. It was never there. But John Smith never challenged it. The right call was no points for Maryland (or to complicate the controversy….maybe 2 danger neutral back points) and a takedown for Surber. But the ref made two bad calls and only one was challenged. That is all my take after rewatching it several times.
Thanks. That was bad. Should have challenged that he grabbed Surber’s singlet in the last 5 seconds.

I heard one of the announcers during a Kyle Haas match say that him and Tyler Caldwell look like they could be related but clearly aren’t. Little does he know.

It was close, but I think the ref got the end of Surber's match right. It looked like he gave the verbal danger call and then got to a 3 count. And the reversal challenge was overturned correctly as explained above.

Luke was the more offensive wrestler, he just needs to finish those shots.

Reactions: bwel9339
Most often when an OSU wrestler loses it is because they can't escape. Their first move from the bottom to just brace, no explosion to get up.

Are these dudes not required by rule to have their laces taped at this level? Ridiculous the dude needed to retie both his shoes before SV in the Jordan Williams match.

Can we get Cam Steed as a transfer? I wanted us to get him when he was at Collinsville, but now he's blown up into a full sized 165.

Haas dominated with a lat drop, more back points and then a pin.
Surber wins 12 to 2 with riding time but he had 10 points after the first 2 minutes. Then he slid into neutral from 4th gear. Doucette is now up. You won't believe this he just got a takedown.

Reactions: DPJ
I thought the quarters results for us were almost as expected. Gfeller should have won, just needed the escape and was totally relying on getting a stalling call instead of getting out. He needs to shoot more as he is a great scrambler. So bad loss for him and Surber just got screwed on the call. So 6 of 12 advanced to the semi’s with 2 of those losses maybe 3 with Haas that should have been wins. I think we have a good chance to send all 6 guys to the finals when looking at matchups.

Here is my take on Jordan Williams from what I saw.

He looked a little undersized strength wise for 149 IMO. This was the first I’ve seen of him this year and can’t believe there was talk of him possibly being up at 157. His speed and athleticism are his best weapons by far but he does appear to lack some power and strength. He was in deep on legs several times throughout the tournament but couldn’t finish for different reasons but I think that was partly due to his lack of strength. He is very solid on his feet which is to be expected with his FS success and it looked like he was putting in the effort to ride in a couple of matches. He also didn’t seem to have any issues with getting off bottom. Those are the things you want to see from a Redshirt Freshman. I honestly thought he was the better more aggressive wrestler in every match despite losing. I will mention that I hated how he continued to complain about the headgear grabbing in his first match which was a bonehead distraction and caused him to not wrestling through every position.

Mastro is very frustrating to watch. Can Hughes make 125 next year? Anything is better than watching a guy lose while he takes 1 or 2 shots every match

Here is my take on Jordan Williams from what I saw.

He looked a little undersized strength wise for 149 IMO. This was the first I’ve seen of him this year and can’t believe there was talk of him possibly being up at 157. His speed and athleticism are his best weapons by far but he does appear to lack some power and strength. He was in deep on legs several times throughout the tournament but couldn’t finish for different reasons but I think that was partly due to his lack of strength. He is very solid on his feet which is to be expected with his FS success and it looked like he was putting in the effort to ride in a couple of matches. He also didn’t seem to have any issues with getting off bottom. Those are the things you want to see from a Redshirt Freshman. I honestly thought he was the better more aggressive wrestler in every match despite losing. I will mention that I hated how he continued to complain about the headgear grabbing in his first match which was a bonehead distraction and caused him to not wrestling through every position.
That’s honestly encouraging. Hopefully he can put on the strength he needs in the off-season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT