ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Targets

What weight is he predicted to wrestle at? 184/197

I figured 184 but 197 might actually be better for us. Not getting a real good vibe about AJ Ferrari & Braxton Amos. Think it might be hard to pry them away from their families. Hope I am wrong.

How's this for the 2020 & 2021 classes?..

125: older Mastro
133: Jakason Burks
141: Carter Young
149: -
157: younger Mastro
165: Tate Picklo / Luke Surber
174: Luke Surber / Tate Picklo
184: Dustin Plott
197: Kyle Haas (or Ferrari/Amos)
285: Konner Doucet

Reactions: osu2082
I figured 184 but 197 might actually be better for us. Not getting a real good vibe about AJ Ferrari & Braxton Amos. Think it might be hard to pry them away from their families. Hope I am wrong.

Idk. I kinda feel good about Ferrari. Seems like he had a good time at the Iowa match and our main competition seems to be Rutgers.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Glass beat Burns 5 to 2 and he got 2 takedowns to 0. Glass is rated 30 so he has to be good. I don't know how Glass did at State this year. He would need to develop a lot ( which would be expected) to be a real good Cowboy prospect. I don't know how Glass did at State this year. Somewhere I read he wrestled 235 and won an age group flo national tournament. I hope he gets a chance to wrestle the Ohio State Champ rated 27 Nationally.
Glass won 3 to 0 in the quarters. Sure wish Surber would have beat Wilcox.

82 you wish he would have lost? I know that it would have been an upset if Surber won but I was hoping for the upset.

Harley, not that it really matters but I think Surber is the better prospect. Wilcox is a short, strong 152 lber. Once Surber adds some strength to that lanky frame he's going to be a problem.

82 you wish he would have lost? I know that it would have been an upset if Surber won but I was hoping for the upset.

Of course not. Just providing some context to your post. Wilcox is a bigger, higher rated and older prospect.

I hear you
Of course not. Just providing some context to your post. Wilcox is a bigger, higher rated and older prospect.
but my point is if we are ever to win 35 we need to start getting wrestlers who can really raise their game and get upsets. I like who we have gotten in 20 but we need Ferrari especially considering he has brothers and he is a special wrestler like Plott.

I hear you

but my point is if we are ever to win 35 we need to start getting wrestlers who can really raise their game and get upsets. I like who we have gotten in 20 but we need Ferrari especially considering he has brothers and he is a special wrestler like Plott.

Sure but at this stage is very premature to get to up to down about a win or loss as a HS junior. If you haven't followed high level HS wrestling over the last 5-7 years the spread of talent is growing, top guys are hitting each other more (often times up or down from optimal weight) and upsets and losses are much more common.

You meant your post to be negative without providing the proposer context of the opponent. I just provided it for you.

Is this national championship recruiting? I don’t know HS wrestling enough to know.

Is this national championship recruiting? I don’t know HS wrestling enough to know.
It could be. It would be 2 incredible recruiting classes back to back. Bookend these classes with Wittlake/Montalvo, (Fix with Olympic redshirt) and the 2022 class with Blankenship, Williams , Wiley, Anthony Ferrari (yes please) etc. I made a few edits not meaning that Wrassler17 is off but just showing other possibilities.

125: Trevor Mastro top 10 in 2020
133: Jakason Burks top 20 in 2020
141: Carter Young top 50 in 2021
149: Travis Mastro top 10 in 2021
157: Victor Voinovich top 20 in 2021/Cougar Anderson top 50 in 2021
165: Tate Picklo top 10 in 2021/Luke Surber top 50 and climbing in 2020
184: Dustin Plott top 3 in 2020
197: Kyle Haas top 20 in 2021 (or Ferrari/Amos) either top 3 in 2020
285: Konner Doucet top 30 in 2020

Reactions: driad and osu2082
Name to watch at Va Beach, Nolan Craine sophomore 152 is in the finals, he’s from right in the backyard in Goddard KS.

Name to watch at Va Beach, Nolan Craine sophomore 152 is in the finals, he’s from right in the backyard in Goddard KS.
Ryland Rogers is in the finals freshman division at 170 he has won 9 to 1, 15 to 2, and 1st period pins in the quarters and semi's. He looks and wrestles like Chandler Rogers.

Sure but at this stage is very premature to get to up to down about a win or loss as a HS junior. If you haven't followed high level HS wrestling over the last 5-7 years the spread of talent is growing, top guys are hitting each other more (often times up or down from optimal weight) and upsets and losses are much more common.

You meant your post to be negative without providing the proposer context of the opponent. I just provided it for you.
Maybe, I would give Surber a 88 which would be a B+ especially since he majored Anderson. If he had won against Wilcox I would rate that a 96 which would be a strong A. Surber is a good prospect but I would like him to become a great prospect ( which as you said could come next year). To beat Ohio St. Iowa and especially Penn. State we will need to rise to very close to great.

Maybe. It would be a great 2 year haul, no doubt.

As a comparison though, I would place it slightly behind PSU's combined 2017 & 2018 classes and Ohio State's combined 2018 & 2019 classes. As proud2bpokes listed, there are several highly ranked guys but only 1 has spent time in the PFP rankings to this point (Plott). That could change of course since we are talking about rising seniors & juniors.

Big picture though, I think the 2020 class signals a huge turnaround in our recruiting from the previous two years. I think we are moving towards being in the conversation about winning a team title rather than just being top 4.

Reactions: driad
Maybe, I would give Surber a 88 which would be a B+ especially since he majored Anderson. If he had won against Wilcox I would rate that a 96 which would be a strong A. Surber is a good prospect but I would like him to become a great prospect ( which as you said could come next year). To beat Ohio St. Iowa and especially Penn. State we will need to rise to very close to great.

Surber is a really skilled guy that has yet to grow into his body. He’ll continue to gain “natural” size and I think he will flourish in a college strength program.

Surber is a really skilled guy that has yet to grow into his body. He’ll continue to gain “natural” size and I think he will flourish in a college strength program.

Would it be crazy to think the surber could be like Evan Wick from Wisconsin?

Interesting to see PSU on the list. Can't quite figure out what their plan is for the back half of the lineup.
I honestly wonder if they're even that interested in Amos? I've seen people speculate that over recruiting like This could just be a recruiting tactic by Cael. It looks good to other recruits to see so many blue chippers have them on their list.

I honestly wonder if they're even that interested in Amos? I've seen people speculate that over recruiting like This could just be a recruiting tactic by Cael. It looks good to other recruits to see so many blue chippers have them on their list.
plus, adding high profile schools drives up your asking price. Or maybe I am just cynical. :rolleyes:

The reverse is also true. What HS kid right now wouldn't want to list PSU in their top 5?

read about a rumor that the Ferarri's were moving back to Texas. Good sign for us? I hope so.

Perry and Caldwell usually tweet something like this before an announcement.
Somebody said last time he tweeted this Plott committed, now who is it? 2082, Harley, Reaper, Wrassler?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT