ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Targets

thinking that Seth Gross would be a good one to have so that Daton could take olympic red shirt. He showed up in the portal...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2018 NCAA champion Seth Gross&#39; name spotted in the NCAA transfer portal.</p>&mdash; Jason Bryant (@jasonmbryant) <a href="">March 5, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

thinking that Seth Gross would be a good one to have so that Daton could take olympic red shirt. He showed up in the portal...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2018 NCAA champion Seth Gross&#39; name spotted in the NCAA transfer portal.</p>&mdash; Jason Bryant (@jasonmbryant) <a href=" ">March 5, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow ... he would be one of, if not the biggest, transfer since Mocco.

Reactions: driad
You guys made me look at themat forum for the first time in probably like 4 years - the first forum I stopped reading, it's just so brutal.

So Bob Dole was the leaker, eh?
"Bob Dole likes peanut butter!"

Reactions: Air_Thurman
that would be my guess too. Think that was a done deal when Bono moved. But we can hope...
Balmeceda is in the Finals in Florida with a pin and 2 tech falls. He has a 60-1 record. His opponent is a sophomore with a 66-1 record and pinned his way to the finals. He looks like our 57 in the future and after watching the quarterfinals with Sheets destroyed by North Dakota State we need to hope Balmeceda is very good.

Balmeceda is in the Finals in Florida with a pin and 2 tech falls. He has a 60-1 record. His opponent is a sophomore with a 66-1 record and pinned his way to the finals. He looks like our 57 in the future and after watching the quarterfinals with Sheets destroyed by North Dakota State we need to hope Balmeceda is very good.

He won 7-0. I believe that's his 4th FL state title.

Reactions: osu2082
thank goodness.....wyatt sheets is an average talent at the D1 level. He'd a stud, possible national champion at the D2 level similar to Eli Hale

not sold on him yet. he kind of reminds me of sheets coming out of high school. known to be good on top but limited on his feet. i saw some of his matches this year and he seems to ride lesser competition tough but when he steps up in competition his riding is less effective and he's a known Gasser. he won't be taking over 57 anytime soon.

someone has to take 157 b/c wyatt isn't the answer, and will never score points in the NCAA's for us.

not sold on him yet. he kind of reminds me of sheets coming out of high school. known to be good on top but limited on his feet. i saw some of his matches this year and he seems to ride lesser competition tough but when he steps up in competition his riding is less effective and he's a known Gasser. he won't be taking over 57 anytime soon.

To me, Balmaceda's gas tank is the big question. If it turns out to be bad then he may never crack the starting lineup. But if it's adequate then I'm probably more bullish on him.

In neutral, he has a nice reach single. On top, he turns the lesser guys with a roll through tilt and controls the better guys with a crab ride. I think he might end up being a lot like Preston - teching some guys 15-0 while beating others 2-0. That's best case scenario obviously.

To me, Balmaceda's gas tank is the big question. If it turns out to be bad then he may never crack the starting lineup. But if it's adequate then I'm probably more bullish on him.

In neutral, he has a nice reach single. On top, he turns the lesser guys with a roll through tilt and controls the better guys with a crab ride. I think he might end up being a lot like Preston - teching some guys 15-0 while beating others 2-0. That's best case scenario obviously.

I think the coaching style of John and the culture at OSU will be very very good for him. He has a bunch of natural ability be is a high end athlete. I think he is catered to a bit right now and it hurts him to a degree.

We are still talking about a very high level HS prospect who also has a men streak me attitude that I really like.

yes he has a good single but i think he is more like shommers. if u watch Preston from high school when he went up against top competition he would hammer guys on top. i have watched sheets and balmaceda top game in high school an they both struggle to keep good competition down. not saying that balamaceda wont become a killer on top but preston high school results from top showed a little more progress an has transitioned well in college.

yes he has a good single but i think he is more like shommers. if u watch Preston from high school when he went up against top competition he would hammer guys on top. i have watched sheets and balmaceda top game in high school an they both struggle to keep good competition down. not saying that balamaceda wont become a killer on top but preston high school results from top showed a little more progress an has transitioned well in college.

If we are talking about their top games only, then I agree projecting Balmaceda to be as good as Weigel is fairly optimistic. Conversely, I think comparing him to Shomers is very pessimistic. Shomers hardly turns anyone. He clings onto guys and then sometimes gives up a reversal. Picc had a roll thru tilt in HS that improved considerably in college. That might be the more realistic comparison.

I think the coaching style of John and the culture at OSU will be very very good for him. He has a bunch of natural ability be is a high end athlete. I think he is catered to a bit right now and it hurts him to a degree.

We are still talking about a very high level HS prospect who also has a men streak me attitude that I really like.

Completely agree. Kid hasn’t been in a real strength and conditioning program. Let’s see what his shape is like, after a year in the program.

Bold statement for a guy who’s been on the mat half a year. No way he could improve, like Preston, Piccininni or any other OSU wrestler over time.

No kidding, I'm not going to pretend to have any insight on Sheet's long term potential. Frankly, I think we need better. That being said, we've had plenty of guys who have looked worse than Sheets turn into point scorers.

Kid fights his tail off. That is a nice place to start.

Kid fights his tail off. That is a nice place to start.

This reminds me of something John said after one of the duals this year. While discussing the team & individual performances he said - "Just give me the effort. Don't worry, we'll figure the rest out."

I'm not ready to give up on Sheets mainly because he can do one thing that is very difficult to do at the DI level, get a takedown when you're behind and the other guy knows you're coming. We saw it from him this season several times. We didn't see it often enough and his defense needs to improve, but he has the ability to score and that is something that is difficult to teach at this level. I'd bet money that he is the guy again next year. I just hope he can tighten a few things up and learn to trust his offense.

Bold statement for a guy who’s been on the mat half a year. No way he could improve, like Preston, Piccininni or any other OSU wrestler over time.

just my opinion..don't have to like it. Here's to hoping he proves me wrong!!

I'm not ready to give up on Sheets mainly because he can do one thing that is very difficult to do at the DI level, get a takedown when you're behind and the other guy knows you're coming. We saw it from him this season several times. We didn't see it often enough and his defense needs to improve, but he has the ability to score and that is something that is difficult to teach at this level. I'd bet money that he is the guy again next year. I just hope he can tighten a few things up and learn to trust his offense.

This!

He is obviously tough on top. To some, he is obviously talented enough from neutral to make some noise. The bad thing about it, it isn't obvious to him yet that he can score.

Reece Witcraft is on team USA @ 132 for the Pittsburgh wrestling classic, looks like his opponent will be ASU commit Julian Chlebove.

On Flo's updated HS rankings, Willie says Witcraft is out with an injury and won't be at the PWC. That sucks.

Balmaceda might be the replacement @ 152. Conner Brady lost at 160 in the Ohio state tournament.

Sorry if already discusssed but NEO has a bad dude at HVY that just finished his fr. year. Wonder if there’s any interest? Andrade is the name.

just my opinion..don't have to like it. Here's to hoping he proves me wrong!!

Has nothing to do with liking or not liking. I just think you’re making a judgement on too little data.

I personally have issues with all or nothing statements. You don’t know he can never compete. You just don’t. I don’t see what purpose it serves to crap on a kid that has half a season as a starter.

Balmaceda will not replace Conner Brady at 160 for the PWC. They are going with Zach Lawrence, the NY state champ at 152 who is not ranked nationally. Too bad.

OHkie, I was looking at the Ohio HS state results. Some pretty big upsets, like Andonian & Brady.

Also watched the Hatcher/Greer 3rd place match and the Shumate/Hatcher semi (a good one). What do you think of Shumate? I'd never heard of him before. I see Flo has him in the 20s on their freshman big board.

Last edited:
Shumate is tough, I coached against him in football and wrestling when he was in middle school in Galion. He took an extra 8th grade year of home school. So he basically greyshirted and then transferred to Dublin, I am pretty sure he double AA’d at cadet fargo. Ohio Division 1 wrestling is Dominated by St. Ed’s, And Elyria in the Northeast and LaSalle in Cincy. Central district doesn’t get a lot of love.

Kyle Conel announced he's transferring to PSU if he gets a medical redshirt. No surprise there.

Not crazy about it though because it would allow PSU to extend their 2018 recruiting class further out. Beard, Brooks, the younger Nevills, and Joe Lee (I think) all greyshirted this year. There's a chance now they will all redshirt as well. Down the road we'll have to contend with them plus Robbie Howard from the 2020 class.

Kyle Conel announced he's transferring to PSU if he gets a medical redshirt. No surprise there.

Not crazy about it though because it would allow PSU to extend their 2018 recruiting class further out. Beard, Brooks, the younger Nevills, and Joe Lee (I think) all greyshirted this year. There's a chance now they will all redshirt as well. Down the road we'll have to contend with them plus Robbie Howard from the 2020 class.

It will be interesting to see what they do at 197. I think Beard is better than Conel who isn't an AA lock type wreslter who has battled injuries his entire career.

PSU could potentially have 3, 6-year seniors closing out the back end of their lineup next year.

I really don't understand why a talent like Beard goes along with this but to each his own. Kid is going to finish college at the age of 30 at this rate.

PSU could potentially have 3, 6-year seniors closing out the back end of their lineup next year.

I really don't understand why a talent like Beard goes along with this but to each his own. Kid is going to finish college at the age of 30 at this rate.

I think one and possibly both of Rasheed and Cassar don't return.

I think one and possibly both of Rasheed and Cassar don't return.
I figure Rasheed is a long shot, but you think Cassar might not be back also? Thinking he moves on if he wins a title?

I wonder if this impacts AJ Ferrari in any way. Beard said a couple of weeks back that he weighs 210 and plans to go 197. Brooks has already said he plans to go 184/86 kg. That might make Rutgers & tOSU the main competition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT