ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Targets

According to Track, they also wrestled in Greco and Picklo won 9-7. Both matches were at 170 lbs. Picklo weighed in at 169.1 & Surber weighed in at 165 even. I'm curious what weight Picklo projects to. He's bigger than his older brother, but smaller than his dad at this point.

Unrelated, but at the Journeymen, Trevor Mastro took 2nd at 126 and Rylan Rogers took 3rd at 170. Both were dominant except for losing by tech to opponents from Kazakhstan.
I just watched the match and Mastro looked good on his feet but a leg lace scored 10 points for his opponent. Mastro seemed about to get his 2nd takedown and his opponent did a very nice counter got a great leg lace and that was the match.

Flo's HS weight rankings are out with the 2019 seniors removed. Some of the top guys that have been discussed...

PFP - Ferrari #1, Amos #2, Plott #5

220 - Ferrari #1, Doucet #2
195 - Amos #1, Haas #9
182 - Plott #1
170 - Rogers #7
160 - Picklo #3
152 - Surber #2, Voinovich #8, Anderson #20
145 - Travis Mastro #3
132 - Blankenship #16, Ramsey #17
126 - Trevor Mastro #4, Tagg #5, Chavez #13, Cardenas #14
120 - Burks #2
113 - Brown #9, Williams #12
106 - Griffin #8

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I just watched the match and Mastro looked good on his feet but a leg lace scored 10 points for his opponent. Mastro seemed about to get his 2nd takedown and his opponent did a very nice counter got a great leg lace and that was the match.

Speaking of Mastros, the younger one (Travis) posted a pic a couple weeks back wearing an OSU shirt. Jakason Burks commented "nice Cowboy gear", to which Mastro replied " hell yeah!"

Last edited:
I have zero insight into the Ferraris but I wonder if moving east actually helped us in the end. Maybe it showed them they wanted to be in this part of the country. Complete speculation and am not counting my eggs.

I take it that they are coming back to Allen? I know that they have been at some great programs back East, but Allen is really strong.

At this point he no longer has high school competition that is relevant. Hope this helps us in his recruiting. Interesting how the lighter heavyweights are having more success in the college ranks. Not sure if Ferrari will be at 197 or heavyweight. There were two previous backup 197 pounders that wrestled for the NCAA championship this year.

At this point he no longer has high school competition that is relevant. Hope this helps us in his recruiting. Interesting how the lighter heavyweights are having more success in the college ranks. Not sure if Ferrari will be at 197 or heavyweight. There were two previous backup 197 pounders that wrestled for the NCAA championship this year.
This year? Because neither Bo Nickal or Kollin Moore were backups.

There are quite a few people who are in and around the recruiting world who think he will end up as a heavy.

He will likely be in our room often not that he is back in Texas as that was case before the east coast move.

I have zero insight into the Ferraris but I wonder if moving east actually helped us in the end. Maybe it showed them they wanted to be in this part of the country. Complete speculation and am not counting my eggs.

the “back east” mindset is shocking
for those of us from these parts

throw in an agro wrestling program and i can see why they moved back

i’d say their experience in jersey played well for us

I thought it was funny they didn't like NJ. "tax & gun laws"

I think it would probably be the best in the last 20 years at OSU. I can’t speak for before that time. The ‘02 class could have beat it, if I remember right. #1 Hendricks and #3 Esposito had signed and #2 Teyon Ware reportedly committed during the week of the early signing period but never sent the LOI. He signed with ou late in the week. The ‘05 and ‘06 teams combined Hendricks and Esposito with #1 and #2 in the ‘01 class (Rosholt and Mocco)

I think it would probably be the best in the last 20 years at OSU. I can’t speak for before that time. The ‘02 class could have beat it, if I remember right. #1 Hendricks and #3 Esposito had signed and #2 Teyon Ware reportedly committed during the week of the early signing period but never sent the LOI. He signed with ou late in the week. The ‘05 and ‘06 teams combined Hendricks and Esposito with #1 and #2 in the ‘01 class (Rosholt and Mocco)

2002 is a good call, especially if you consider Lawal who I think transferred in. I think this class would be deeper on paper but its just paper for now. Hopefully these guys can do what Mo, Hendricks and Espo did.

Last edited:
J Thompson was around in those years. Although not a highly recruited guy he gave us a ton of points at nationals. It takes some of those guys not highly recruited that come through with top four placement points to win championships as well. We only have so many scholarships.

The thing that really works with this class is the highly rated upper weights. They typically have a higher percentage of success due to the lack of competition at the higher weights.

Last edited:
This is down the road some, but a name to keep an eye on is Alex Almeyda out of NJ. He's a rising soph from NJ. Trains at the NYRTC with Kendall and at Edge with Zack's brother. Currently competing at 55 kg at FloNats.

Reactions: proud2bpokes
There are quite a few people who are in and around the recruiting world who think he will end up as a heavy.

He will likely be in our room often not that he is back in Texas as that was case before the east coast move.

If he comes it means either he or Doucet are capable of holding 197.

If he comes it means either he or Doucet are capable of holding 197.

Probably but Ferrari is such a high level recruit that you bring him in regardless of your current roster makeup or commitment list.

Reactions: osuind
Heavy is going to be absolutely brutal for the next 4 years or so. Good luck to whoever draws the short straw on that’s one.

It sucks Doucet, Ferrari, Haas and Amos are all 197-hvwt. Ferrari probably wrestled wherever he wants. Any way one of them can get to 184? Have Plott go 174. I’m guessing we can only take one of Ferrari or Amos.

If Ferrari grows to be a HWT. with his speed, technique and explosiveness I believe he could go with any of those other HWT. You are right that there are a lot of young quality HWT's.

I could be wrong but if Ferrari is a heavy would that mean that last 3 P4P No. 1 recruits were all heavy? Gable, Kerkvliet, and Ferrari. That is not counting Schultz who Flo ranks No. 2 overall for '19. So much talent in that weight.

I could be wrong but if Ferrari is a heavy would that mean that last 3 P4P No. 1 recruits were all heavy? Gable, Kerkvliet, and Ferrari. That is not counting Schultz who Flo ranks No. 2 overall for '19. So much talent in that weight.
Ferrari in my view is a must get and I do not believe he is a heavy. Doucet or Amos both could be heavyweights. I want all three. It will all sort itself out but we want Ferrari and his little brother for certain sure.

Ferrari in my view is a must get and I do not believe he is a heavy. Doucet or Amos both could be heavyweights. I want all three. It will all sort itself out but we want Ferrari and his little brother for certain sure.
Doesn't AJ have a second little brother whose pretty good too.

Doesn't AJ have a second little brother whose pretty good too.
I have heard there are 2 younger brother's with the oldest of them I have seen wrestle 113 at Blair this year and then wrestled 132 this year where they transferred against Blair's highly rated 132 and of course lost but battled him even though he was greatly outsized. His name is Anthony and he rated 7th in the 22 class. Angelo is the youngest rated 54 in junior high Board at 105.

Reactions: oberebo and osu2082
I have heard there are 2 younger brother's with the oldest of them I have seen wrestle 113 at Blair this year and then wrestled 132 this year where they transferred against Blair's highly rated 132 and of course lost but battled him even though he was greatly outsized. His name is Anthony and he rated 7th in the 22 class. Angelo is the youngest rated 54 in junior high Board at 105.
Did not know about the second brother or forgot which is possible at my age. Thanks for the information.

Shows a lot of the locals, but waiting to see who is expressing interest nationally for 21 and 22 classes

02 class had D2 champ Mo Lawal transfer in from UCO. Also had Derrick Fleenor, Kyle Shelton, Eric Dabbs, and Ethan Kyle too. Each of them were high school AA's and multiple time state champions. It was having 2 good recruiting classes back-to-back that stuck around that made those teams so great. That, plus the development by having a strong Gator WC presence. Ahhh the good ole days!

The wrestling room from ‘03 to ‘05 would have included:
John Smith, Mark Branch, Pat Smith, Eric Guerrero, Teague Moore, Jamil Kelly, Mark Munoz, Daniel Cormier, Mo Lawal, Johnny Thompson, Coleman Scott, Zack Esposito, Nathan Morgan, Daniel Frishkorn, Ethan Kyle, Jerrod Sanders, Shane Roller, Kevin Ward, Johny Hendricks, Tyrone Lewis, Chris Pendleton, Jake Rosholt, Willy Gruenwald, Steve Mocco and a few I am probably forgetting. That is a list of All-Americans and/or D1 Coaches. Some MMA bone crushers in there too. Maybe in 10 years or so we will have comparable list with this next group.

Last edited:
The wrestling room from ‘03 to ‘05 would have included:
John Smith, Mark Branch, Pat Smith, Eric Guerrero, Teague Moore, Jamil Kelly, Mark Munoz, Daniel Cormier, Mo Lawal, Johnny Thompson, Coleman Scott, Zack Esposito, Nathan Morgan, Daniel Frishkorn, Ethan Kyle, Jerrod Sanders, Shane Roller, Kevin Ward, Johny Hendricks, Tyrone Lewis, Chris Pendleton, Jake Rosholt, Willy Gruenwald, Steve Mocco and a few I am probably forgetting. That is a list of All-Americans and/or D1 Coaches. Some MMA bone crushers in there too. Maybe in 10 years or so we will have comparable list with this next group.

That was a great room. My son attended a wrestling camp around that time and a few years later gave me a framed wrestling shirt signed by all the wrestlers highlighted above. It's proudly hanging in my media room. I may have missed one our two of the names, but this is close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT