ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

Another consideration is Cael Hughes. He needs to get in the lineup somewhere. If Young does drop to 133 (either next year or after a RS) then Hughes would probably have to go 141. Don't think he can make 125 and he's way too good to sit on the bench until Young graduates.

Also, I don't believe Voinovich is eligible for an ORS.

Will Thompson compete for Stillwater? He has to certify his weight class by 1/21. After that he would need a waiver approved by the OHSAA. Would a weight certification from another state have reciprocity?

Another consideration is Cael Hughes. He needs to get in the lineup somewhere. If Young does drop to 133 (either next year or after a RS) then Hughes would probably have to go 141. Don't think he can make 125 and he's way too good to sit on the bench until Young graduates.

Also, I don't believe Voinovich is eligible for an ORS.
This lineup would look good and we would be covered at the upper weights as well. This would be a solid young core. But we still haven't addressed the lingering hole that will be at 165. That's why I think we really need to throw the kitchen sink at Mesenbrink.

If we were able to put together this sort of lineup with a lot of young talent then it would be imperative that the coaching staff develops these guys into their full potential and early on. That means bringing in new perspective on staff and really looking at changing the way we approach training. It has been mentioned several times before that we are getting the talent with top recruits but we aren't developing them into studs. We have caught some tough breaks with all 3 of the Ferrari brothers moving on and some injuries last year and there is still some hope for this year with Voinovich, Wittlake and Surber to really make their mark at nationals and potentially AA. I think we all just expected a lot more from Mastro and Young at this point and its really discouraging that neither have seem to jump levels yet.

Any word on Heegs injury? He was losing 5-7 in the third when he took it. Hopefully it’s not long term.
I saw he did not wrestle this last weekend at the Jay Hancock Yukon Tournament. Hughes, Jordan, Lockett, Thomas, Voinovich, Sommer and McComas won the tournament.

It would be nice to redshirt both Thompson & Plott next year, then in 2025 go Thompson @ 174 and Plott at 184.

Haas's days at 184 look to be over. He probably challenges for 285 or 197 the next few years. If Wittlake returns and goes 174, then Heeg or Robb can go 184 and redshirt the following year. If Wittlake returns and goes 184, then you have a decision to make about 174. Personally I'd still redshirt both of them because we won't be a contender anyway.

Reactions: JAY45 and DPJ
I hope the coaching staff kicks the tires on Michael Caliendo from NDSU over the offseason. He’s 18-2 on the season and his only losses are to Keegan O’toole and Shane Griffith.

He also beat Griffith in a rematch this past January and has several other solid wins like, Andrew Sparks from Minny, Cole Moody from Wyoming, and Cam Steed from Mizzou. And he’ll have 3 years of eligibility left.

Reactions: turfpoke
I hope the coaching staff kicks the tires on Michael Caliendo from NDSU over the offseason. He’s 18-2 on the season and his only losses are to Keegan O’toole and Shane Griffith.

He also beat Griffith in a rematch this past January and has several other solid wins like, Andrew Sparks from Minny, Cole Moody from Wyoming, and Cam Steed from Mizzou. And he’ll have 3 years of eligibility left.
Has he announced he's going in the portal?

Caliendo finished #52 on Flo's Big Board and #73 on Willie's. What a find by NDSU.

Luke Mechler actually beat Caliendo at Fargo after their senior year. One of the reasons I thought Luke was underrated.

Caliendo finished #52 on Flo's Big Board and #73 on Willie's. What a find by NDSU.

Luke Mechler actually beat Caliendo at Fargo after their senior year. One of the reasons I thought Luke was underrated.
Caliendo is very strong, has a good defense and he is good on his feet. The smaller colleges wrestling division 1 programs get very upset if they develop a wrestler and then big colleges come in and recruit a wrestler to enter the portal. Several coaches of smaller programs indicated that coaches tried to recruit their wrestler during Nationals. Mark Branch has to be very upset that Buchanen was actively recruited before he entered the portal. This is bad for wrestling. Other schools should not be recruiting another college's wrestlers unless that wrestler has entered the portal first. We do need a 165 though, but we should do it the right way.

Did we recruit Braxton Brown from Allen, Texas? He is 19-2 at Maryland this year at 125.
He's having a great year. I don't know how hard the coaches went after him, but we discussed him a lot as an option for 125. When Mastro committed in the fall of 2018, there no longer seemed to be a need.

Reactions: osu2082 and JAY45
He's having a great year. I don't know how hard the coaches went after him, but we discussed him a lot as an option for 125. When Mastro committed in the fall of 2018, there no longer seemed to be a need.
He must have really done some developing because coming out of high school I did not think of him being a prospect we should go after.

Reactions: JAY45
He must have really done some developing because coming out of high school I did not think of him being a prospect we should go after.
He might be another Caliendo. Willie had Brown @ #70 on the 2021 Big Board. Wouldn't surprise me if some teams went after him.

OK Dual State is underway on Flo. Haven't watched any of it yet, but AJ Heeg & Brayden Thompson both weighed in around 190. One of them will likely face Jersey Robb tomorrow and then again at State.

OK Dual State is underway on Flo. Haven't watched any of it yet, but AJ Heeg & Brayden Thompson both weighed in around 190. One of them will likely face Jersey Robb tomorrow and then again at State.
I checked on the Stillwater wrestlers replays and it appears the tape didn't work and so no replays as far as I could tell from the Stillwater High dual. I did see Heeg's 1st period pin so Flo figured out the tape was not working before the dual ended.

Last edited:
I checked on the Stillwater wrestlers replays and it appears the tape didn't work and so no replays as far as I could tell from the Stillwater High dual. I did see Heeg's 1st period pin so Flo figured out the tape was not working before the dual ended.
Flo being Flo

Track shows that pin was at 190, so I guess Brayden is going 215 tomorrow. He'll be giving up 25+ lbs.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Yes Brayden wrestled at 215 but won by forfeit
I checked regional results for Stillwater everyone of the real prospects are in the finals Jordan, Smith, McComas, Hughes, Voinovich, Lockett, Sommer and Heeg. Did not see Thompson as was mentioned by Wrassler also interesting Beric Jordan is the 2 seed behind undefeated Kiser with Jordan having 1 loss. I know Jordan lost at super 32's in the finals but could he have lost to Kiser from Ponca City?

Beric Jordan is the 2 seed behind undefeated Kiser with Jordan having 1 loss. I know Jordan lost at super 32's in the finals but could he have lost to Kiser from Ponca City?
I think the loss is from the Ironman finals. Lockett is also showing a loss and he took 3rd at Ironman. Kiser probably got the #1 seed because he's a returning state champ in OK.

Returning state champ is the first criteria for seeding I believe.
That Kiser must be good because Beric Jordan only beat him 4 to 3 in the regional finals. At 106 Thomas won with all pins. Smith won at 120, McComas got beat 2 to 1 in over time by Gage Walker also a junior. At 132 Hughes won by 2 pins and a major, Roller won by 4 1st period pins at 138 and Voinovich won 3 to 1 in overtime over Giddens at 150. Lockett won by 3 pins then 6 to 2 over Guerrero at 157 and Sommer won by 3 pins and then 7 to 2 in the finals. Heeg won by 4 1st period pins and Robb won by 3 pins and then 13 to 7 in the finals.

Reactions: DPJ and JAY45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT