ADVERTISEMENT

Log Jams/Depth

DEWrestlingFan

Commitment
Aug 31, 2005
How do you all feel about coaches recruiting the best wrestlers, when they already have some of the best early on in their college years at those weights? Are they being selfish or doing their jobs? How do you feel about kids transferring out due to a log jam or depth on the roster? Are they looked at as not willing to get better to beat the person in front of them, or are they smart for going somewhere they can get into a starting line up? Just curious as to how this is looked at from others.

Example:

PSU 157-184 the next few years: Haines, Sealey, Messenbrink, Facundo, Ryder, Barr, Duke, Mirasola, Henckel. Nine guys going for four spots. All really good wrestlers. Good recruiting? Selfish recruiting? Any of these kids get judged if they transfer out to another team? If they do not transfer, is it looked at as they passed up a chance somewhere else to have a really good career?

I would rather a kid transfer out because he got recruited over, than a stud starter leaving for more money somewhere else. Not that it’s happened really in wrestling yet for us.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
So is their NIL war chest just so big that they can offset the fact that they couldn't possibly give huge scholarship money to every one of these kids? A few may have parents that can afford it, but surely not many.

Do you really think that these log jams are due to NIL? I would think that these brands paying this NIL money would want it going to a known name (Manning) or someone that is starting and getting a lot of exposure. Where in wrestling you're not really getting much exposure unless you're on the mat. These log jams keep you most of these guys off of the mat.

Do you really think that these log jams are due to NIL? I would think that these brands paying this NIL money would want it going to a known name (Manning) or someone that is starting and getting a lot of exposure. Where in wrestling you're not really getting much exposure unless you're on the mat. These log jams keep you most of these guys off of the mat.
There are all kinds of examples of entire position groups and even teams getting $20-100k for being on the team and breathing. Not all NIL is pay for performance.

PSU seems to have endless pockets, but we need to allocate our resources better
How do you all feel about coaches recruiting the best wrestlers, when they already have some of the best early on in their college years at those weights? Are they being selfish or doing their jobs? How do you feel about kids transferring out due to a log jam or depth on the roster? Are they looked at as not willing to get better to beat the person in front of them, or are they smart for going somewhere they can get into a starting line up? Just curious as to how this is looked at from others.

Example:

PSU 157-184 the next few years: Haines, Sealey, Messenbrink, Facundo, Ryder, Barr, Duke, Mirasola, Henckel. Nine guys going for four spots. All really good wrestlers. Good recruiting? Selfish recruiting? Any of these kids get judged if the new rules they transfer out to another team? If they do not transfer, is it looked at as they passed up a chance somewhere else to have a really good career?
under the new rules you get the best kid every year may the best man win

No real answer to my question yet or no opinions put out there. My opinion is that if coaches have log jams, they are just doing their jobs. They are paid to get the best recruits in, and if that creates a log jam, then so be it. If a kid in that log jam decides to go elsewhere, well I do not blame them at all. Look at Beard from Lehigh. He was an AA at Penn State as a freshman or RS freshman. Dean transfers in to Penn State the following year, so Beard transfers out eventually. Beard actually beats Dean that year he transfers out during the season. Gotta love it!

Reactions: bwel9339
We will see what PSU will pay for athletes. Carter Starrocci will graduate and will be on the market after the tournament. Michigan seems to be the school with cash. Iowa will play as well. Carter will get mid 6 figure numbers next years. We need to go after the best backup 165 pounder.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
If Starocci comes back he will definitely be back at PSU. They have the donors and the money. As far as some of the log jams at psu, its kind of hard for me to wrap my head around. When we have log jams its almost seems like its by accident. Recruits aren't stupid and often times choose a school that's 2nd or 3rd on their list because there's a spot for them. When I look at psu's middleweights and see a kid like Henckel committing to them I just don't understand. It has to be more than money to make a kid go somewhere that he knows most likely he's not going to ever have a starting spot. He's probably wrestled his whole life and now he's going to take money to sit? Hard for me to comprehend. It has to be more likely that he's wanted to wrestle for psu for years and no matter what, that's where he was/is going.

I think this is a lot more common than people realize. Hopefully OSU is headed in that direction and will see MORE kids (in and outside Oklahoma) that are willing to come to Stillwater regardless of who's starting and money available. The new energy and excitement, the success of these freshmen, the team chemistry and attitude and cheering and wrestling for each other, the bigger crowds will likely see an increase in kids wanting to be a Cowboy!

That being said, who we bring in next year at 65 and possibly 74 (if Thompson shirts) will be critical between finishing top 5 or top 2 next year or possibly even upsetting that damn blue team out east. Next years line up should be crazy tough!

We will see what PSU will pay for athletes. Carter Starrocci will graduate and will be on the market after the tournament. Michigan seems to be the school with cash. Iowa will play as well. Carter will get mid 6 figure numbers next years. We need to go after the best backup 165 pounder.
That's the missing info. No one knows what kids are getting paid.

Most kids from PA that grow up in that system want to wrestle for PSU. A top HS PA kid like Spencer Lee going to Iowa seems rare the last 7-8 years. PA currently has the best high school wrestling and its one of the major reasons PSU has been able to say so consistent and loaded with talent when they get their pick of the litter.

Once these top recruits realize that they are going to ride the pine for 1-2 years they will either leave or just be happy being in the program. Of course NIL is going to be important to these guys, but can you just pay off a young, talented and hungry kid who is looking for a chance to compete and prove himself?

But we are only scratching the surface of this NIL thing. And unlike other sports where you can go on and play professionally and make big money these guys have a small window to compete and make money, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out 3-4 years from now.

Reactions: bwel9339
I said “seems”. They are able to get wrestlers to go there for less, just because they want to attend PSU. It’s called the ‘flywheel effect’. They have momentum and a system that’s working for them
They are not going there for less They’re top 25 kids. Every kid is has their school paid in full.

Reactions: tom_v31
They are not going there for less They’re top 25 kids. Every kid is has their school paid in full.
As they should. The real crime was 9.9 and how strict amateur rules were. Couldn’t work a camp as a freshman, redshirts couldnt ride with the team to opens, etc. Just crazy to me.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT