ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

Jace got beat 3 to 1 in overtime by a Mantanona brother number 1 see. Weird there are 2 star Mantanona brothers wrestling in this tournament I just checked and both are committed to Michigan. The thought hit me that something that has hurt us over the last 10 years is that our former wrestling greats sons have been good wrestlers but not real good wrestlers. I think that Joe had the most talent and if he wouldn't have got side tracked he might have been a National Champ at 165
Good match for Roller, Willie has Mantanona ranked 3rd st 132.

Yea he will be in that for a little while. Wrestled for the first time earlier this week.
I checked track for results and Smith is in the finals with a tech, an overtime win, and a major. The overtime win was over Belton who I remember beating him at HOF duals. Hughes won pin, pin and then 5 to 1 over Hollingsworth and is in the finals at 132. Voinovich is in the finals at 150 with a pin, pin and a 3 to 2 decision over Routledge who I think beat him at the HOF. Lockett is in the finals winning by tech, pin and 2 to 0 over Teague of Tuttle. at 165 Sommer is in the finals with 3 pins. At 190 Heeg is in the finals with 3 pins all in the 1st period.

Robb won 11-5 to advance to the finals
Yes I just watched the match with jersey getting no takedowns in the first period, 2 takedowns in the 2nd period and 3 takedowns in the 3rd period. He is wrestling at 223.

Jace got beat 3 to 1 in overtime by a Mantanona brother number 1 see. Weird there are 2 star Mantanona brothers wrestling in this tournament I just checked and both are committed to Michigan. The thought hit me that something that has hurt us over the last 10 years is that our former wrestling greats sons have been good wrestlers but not real good wrestlers. I think that Joe had the most talent and if he wouldn't have got side tracked he might have been a National Champ at 165

Quincy Monday was a national runner up last year.

Also Daton Fix.

Trey Munoz looking good this year as well.

Quincy Monday was a national runner up last year.

Also Daton Fix.

Trey Munoz looking good this year as well.
I think Harley was talking about the sons of Cowboy greats who then wrestled for the Cowboys themselves. So Quincy Monday & Trey Munoz wouldn't apply. And Derek really wasn't a great. John Smith & Joe Smith. Mike Sheets & Wyatt Sheets. Hopefully we get Jace Roller and he has a great career.

Obviously David Carr is an example of a legacy who is a star. But Nelson Brands hasn't had the same career as his dad. And if schools don't matter, the same applies to Wyatt Henson so far. Probably Jaden Abas also to a lesser extent.

I think Harley was talking about the sons of Cowboy greats who then wrestled for the Cowboys themselves. So Quincy Monday & Trey Munoz wouldn't apply. And Derek really wasn't a great. John Smith & Joe Smith. Mike Sheets & Wyatt Sheets. Hopefully we get Jace Roller and he has a great career.

Obviously David Carr is an example of a legacy who is a star. But Nelson Brands hasn't had the same career as his dad. And if schools don't matter, the same applies to Wyatt Henson so far. Probably Jaden Abas also to a lesser extent.
I think I remember the Monday's were not much in high school. I don't think we recruited them hard. I think both of Kenny Monday's sons really jumped several levels in college. Munoz son was a good recruit who also jumped a level or 2 in college. Wrassler was right I was thinking about father and sons who both wrestled for the Cowboys. The fix's are definitely opposite of what I am talking about. Derek never did much and Daton will be one of the greats if he wins a National Championship or 2. Right now I don't think he would be in the top 25 considering just college. That says something about our tradition.

Reactions: Wrassler17
I understood Harley's point and we do need more really good wrestlers. But that wasn't a great post by me. Joe, Wyatt, and Abas have all been AAs. And Brands and Henson still have eligibility left. D1 wrestling is hard.

Here's a more positive take for the historians out there. What father/son combinations have both AA'd? Can be Cowboys or from other teams.

I understood Harley's point and we do need more really good wrestlers. But that wasn't a great post by me. Joe, Wyatt, and Abas have all been AAs. And Brands and Henson still have eligibility left. D1 wrestling is hard.

Here's a more positive take for the historians out there. What father/son combinations have both AA'd? Can be Cowboys or from other teams.
Mark Perry was an All American and both sons ended up being greats ( 2 time National Champs). This comes from a glass half empty type person but none of those son wrestlers were in the same league as their dads. Maybe Abas was the closest. The sons were good wrestlers the dads were beyond real good ( great wrestlers). Also everyone feels great about Wyatt becoming an All American not even initially qualifying for Nationals and wrestling on 1 leg but his dad didn't just beat everybody but wrecked everybody.

Stillwater pulled away from Edmond No in the finals and will win Geary. They wrestled really well. Kaid Brock was on the mic.

So many good guys in the 2024 class in Oklahoma, but I think we have to find a way to get JJ McComas and Landyn Sommer. Big upsides IMO.

Stillwater pulled away from Edmond No in the finals and will win Geary. They wrestled really well. Kaid Brock was on the mic.

So many good guys in the 2024 class in Oklahoma, but I think we have to find a way to get JJ McComas and Landyn Sommer. Big upsides IMO.
Also Jersey Robb won Doc B winning 9 to 2 versus the number 1 California 220 who is a sophomore but Jersey was to slick for him on his feet. The guy wrestles greco and Jersey gave up 1 point on stalling when his opponent had double unders and he backed out twice.

Also Jersey Robb won Doc B winning 9 to 2 versus the number 1 California 220 who is a sophomore but Jersey was to slick for him on his feet. The guy wrestles greco and Jersey gave up 1 point on stalling when his opponent had double unders and he backed out twice.
I think that we really need a 2024 superstar recruit. Beric Jordan is rated 15th who could develop into a real good wrestler but at this point he is very weak in the bottom position which makes him questionable. We had the superstar all set up less than a year ago but he is gone now (Angelo Ferrari). Cody Merrill may be that recruit but 2023 class is loaded with upper weights, so I don't know. 2024 Penn. St is already loaded with recruits Sealey rated 3rd overall, Ryder rated 6th overall, and Gibson rated 7th. Thats 3 superstar recruits coming in already. Anyone got an idea on who we are looking at?

Another top Illinois guy DQ'd out also, Vincent Robinson (the guy Cael Hughes beat in the Ironman semi).

The other strange thing is that Brayden's team is competing at the Cheesehead in WI, but he's at the Doc B in Cali. Someone will probably tweet what went down.
Caught smoking the devil’s lettuce.

Don't know who we are after. But just looking at who's still available, no one jumps out as a great fit weight wise. A transfer or flipping someone might be the way to go.
I agree, there is 1 wrestler that stands out in regards to need but we don't have a chance. That would be Angelo Ferrari at 165 which is our greatest need. With needs and talent no one on the 2024 Big Board fits except Lilledahl at 125 but we are going with Beric Jordan. 197 Cody Merrill could fit but we are just getting Jersey Robb and so it is not a great fit. Wrassler your idea on Messenbrink is a good one because I still remember him beating Levi Haines who I saw Friday night major Wisconsins 165 rated around 20. Lee could be right that we would be big underdogs but we need a real good 165. Speaking of flips how great would it be to flip a Penn. St. commitment again and of course I am thinking about Joe Sealey. We have done it before. Unlikely but you can dream.

I believe and I hope that Angelo Ferrari is not on our recruiting list. He is probably the best wrestler of the 3 but we are not on his list and for obvious family. reasons he would not be on. ours. Not dissing him in any way, shape or form, but do. we really want this family drama to play out. again?

Reactions: bwel9339
I agree, there is 1 wrestler that stands out in regards to need but we don't have a chance. That would be Angelo Ferrari at 165 which is our greatest need. With needs and talent no one on the 2024 Big Board fits except Lilledahl at 125 but we are going with Beric Jordan. 197 Cody Merrill could fit but we are just getting Jersey Robb and so it is not a great fit. Wrassler your idea on Messenbrink is a good one because I still remember him beating Levi Haines who I saw Friday night major Wisconsins 165 rated around 20. Lee could be right that we would be big underdogs but we need a real good 165. Speaking of flips how great would it be to flip a Penn. St. commitment again and of course I am thinking about Joe Sealey. We have done it before. Unlikely but you can dream.
Harley, I think Angelo will probably be at least 174 in college. Maybe 184.

I agree we are underdogs for Mesenbrink, but I haven't given up hope. Lee said the parents are from Ames, IA. I don't see that. Looks like the dad is from MO and the mom is from WI. The dad wrestled a couple of years at Drake University (Des Moines, IA), but he's been in WI for the past 30 years. Mizzou is obviously a big threat because of Askren. But if he goes there, maybe we can get Cam Steed? He would easily start at 165 for us next year. Think he's friends with Jordan Williams too.

Agree it would be tough to flip Sealey. Not sure about other possible transfers. I do like Landyn Sommer as an in-state guy. Athletic like McComas and has some big move ability.

Reactions: DPJ

I agree we are underdogs for Mesenbrink, but I haven't given up hope. Lee said the parents are from Ames, IA. I don't see that. Looks like the dad is from MO and the mom is from WI. The dad wrestled a couple of years at Drake University (Des Moines, IA), but he's been in WI for the past 30 years. Mizzou is obviously a big threat because of Askren. But if he goes there, maybe we can get Cam Steed? He would easily start at 165 for us next year. Think he's friends with Jordan Williams too.

Agree it would be tough to flip Sealey. Not sure about other possible transfers. I do like Landyn Sommer as an in-state guy. Athletic like McComas and has some big move ability.

Having Harding back on staff would help in a pursuit of Steed as well.

Just so we know how good Joe could/should have been... Nolf said he was the toughest match he's ever wrestled.

• Sad
Reactions: turfpoke
Joe definitely jumped a level in his senior year of HS. As Harley says, he went from a good wrestler to a real good wrestler. He took 4th at Fargo in the summer after his junior year (got teched in the 3rd place match). Then he took an OT loss at WNO a few months later. After that...

He tore through his senior year. At Junior duals he beat Isaiah White, a top recruit. At the Junior WTTs he had a close 3rd place loss to Nolf, who was coming off a terrific redshirt year at PSU. Then Joe dominated his way to a Fargo title. In his first semester of college he beat Marstellar & Blees. At Reno he had a pretty competitive match against Imar, the defending champ (and still undefeated). John pulled his redshirt and Joe made the Scuffle finals, losing a close match to Nolf. A month later he lost at Cornell and suffered an injury. I think it was a serious knee infection. John said it would have shut down many wrestlers for the season. Joe came back for Big 12s and fought his way to AA as a true freshman.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwel9339
That's good, maybe it'll keep him out of trouble. Is Carroll coming too? I thought somebody mentioned that he might come also.
David Mirikitani said during the HOF duals that they might both transfer. Haven't heard anything more on Christian, but he's definitely done with HS wrestling in Indiana. Saw an article that said he is focused on training now.

Reactions: DPJ

I listened to Mesenbrink talk with Bader on flo. He jumped levels his senior year and so has gotten in the Portal because Cal Bab. doesn't fit his needs anymore. He seems to live wrestling and even when he isn't wrestling he thinks wrestling. He describes wrestling as an obsession, and he seems to want to be great. He plans on visiting schools and doesn't have a list of schools yet. He talks of course a lot about Missouri guys ( Askrens etc). Freestyle is very important to him and so is finding a school to develop him and teach him new techniques. It would be great to get him and his plans are wrestling 74 and so 165 would be his weight class.

Hopefully we would be a school on his radar. 165 is a big need for us looking forward. If we made the list I think we could make a strong push. Does Askren really have that much influence over these kids? Only problem I see is he has big aspirations in FS and we are all still holding our breath for some big news to drop on the RTC.

I listened to the Mesenbrink interview as well. As Harley said, the guy is a real wrestling junkie. Mentioned his preference for technique sessions over live go's, which you'd think would work in our favor.

I'm trying to think of possible landing places, but all the top teams already have a good young 165 - PSU, Iowa, Ohio St. Michigan, Cornell, Wisconsin. And it's clear his ultimate goal is World & Olympic titles, so going to Mizzou or ISU would put him in direct competition with O'Toole & Carr for the 74 KG spot. IDK, maybe ASU? Or Stanford if Shane Griffith doesn't have freestyle goals?

As posted above, our RTC slow walk is a problem. We need to start showing these top recruits we are serious about growing the CWC. Get Jordan Oliver in here as the head coach. He's one of the best technicians in the country.

I listened to the Mesenbrink interview as well. As Harley said, the guy is a real wrestling junkie. Mentioned his preference for technique sessions over live go's, which you'd think would work in our favor.

I'm trying to think of possible landing places, but all the top teams already have a good young 165 - PSU, Iowa, Ohio St. Michigan, Cornell, Wisconsin. And it's clear his ultimate goal is World & Olympic titles, so going to Mizzou or ISU would put him in direct competition with O'Toole & Carr for the 74 KG spot. IDK, maybe ASU? Or Stanford if Shane Griffith doesn't have freestyle goals?

As posted above, our RTC slow walk is a problem. We need to start showing these top recruits we are serious about growing the CWC. Get Jordan Oliver in here as the head coach. He's one of the best technicians in the country.
One of the things I really like about Mesenbrink is I believe he beat this years best recruit for Penn. St Levi Haines for the junior world spot this last year.

Sure would fill a huge need for us. We need to throw the kitchen sink at him and get him here. There really isn't anybody to fill 165 anytime soon so I hope they're making a run at him.

Yes pay him some NIL. Would love to see that actually happen and get a transfer who can come in and help improve a huge hole in the roster immediately. Just like every big name school who wants to be competitive is trying to do. Would love to see even an offer thrown out to prove that the effort is there

Last edited:
Well technically using an NIL offer to land a recruit is against the rules so hopefully you don't see anything publicly announced. I know it's the wild west and there's no real enforcement... but also, I mean, you can't just publicly be offering NIL money to get guys to transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT