ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

Well technically using an NIL offer to land a recruit is against the rules so hopefully you don't see anything publicly announced. I know it's the wild west and there's no real enforcement... but also, I mean, you can't just publicly be offering NIL money to get guys to transfer.
Who follows the rules anymore?

Reactions: TheJimReaper
I'm not saying follow the rules. I'm saying don't publicly admit or report that you're breaking the rules.

Because history shows if they're going to enforce rules on anybody... it's going to be on Oklahoma State.
Come to Oklahoma State. We’ll take care of you.

Cody Merrill is wrestling heavyweight this season. He weighed in at 238.7 recently, so his days as a college 197 are probably behind him.

AJ Heeg weighed in at 189.4 at the COAC tourney. There was a 3 lb allowance, so he could have been as high 193. Even if he gets a little bigger, making 184 shouldn't be a problem. Looking like Thompson/Heeg/Robb/Carroll for 174-285.

Mesenbrink would fit perfectly at 165. Need to go all in - scholly, RTC training partners/coaches, NIL. Teams will go after him hard and they're creative. Yianni invited Mesenbrink to train at the Spartan RTC last month when Cornell hosted the Ukrainian freestyle team. Basically an unofficial visit for someone who hasn't even entered the portal yet.

Reactions: DPJ
I hope that they're going after Messenbrink hard. Guys like him don't transfer often and like you said he would start right away.

I hope the season we're having doesn't scare off recruits. In my opinion we need some new coaches in the room and they need to get a big name to run the rtc asap. They've actually recruited pretty well given the lackluster results in the past few years. Getting some new coaches with fresh ideas could really turn things around and get some energy back into the program.

Cody Merrill is wrestling heavyweight this season. He weighed in at 238.7 recently, so his days as a college 197 are probably behind him.

AJ Heeg weighed in at 189.4 at the COAC tourney. There was a 3 lb allowance, so he could have been as high 193. Even if he gets a little bigger, making 184 shouldn't be a problem. Looking like Thompson/Heeg/Robb/Carroll for 174-285.

Mesenbrink would fit perfectly at 165. Need to go all in - scholly, RTC training partners/coaches, NIL. Teams will go after him hard and they're creative. Yianni invited Mesenbrink to train at the Spartan RTC last month when Cornell hosted the Ukrainian freestyle team. Basically an unofficial visit for someone who hasn't even entered the portal yet.
Good information Wrassler, for 2024 class I think we should really go after Lilledahl at 125 unless we think that Blankenship is going to be a star. Also we have Beric Jordan who is very good on his feet but if he doesn't show he can get off bottom against good wrestlers we know where that leads to. However you also have to take into account how good we are with teaching and development with wrestlers in the bottom position. Jordan would be another guy we tell for 5 years pretend your drowning because somebody is holding you down in the water.
Lilledahl is a world champion already and as Pendleton says you want wrestlers who attack greatness. We don't have many of those but boy do we need some more. Lilledahl likely has very little interest in us and so we will likely go with Beric who for sure will be at least a good wrestler. It did give me a few nightmares when I think it was Broken Arrow but Beric tech falled him despite being ridden in the 2nd period for 2 minutes.

Reactions: Wrassler17 and DPJ
Got me thinking about what Wrassler said about our future lineup with Thompson through Carroll at the upper weights.

This is what our 2025-2026 Lineup could look like.
125) Beric Jordan RS FR
133) Cael Hughes RS SO
141) Carter Young RS SR *Takes RS '23-24
149) Victor Voinovich RS SR
157) Jordan Williams RS JR or Travis Mastro RS SR
165) Either a Transfer or one of Jordan Williams/Travis Mastro
174) Brayden Thompson RS SO
184) AJ Heeg RS SO
197) Jersey Robb RS SO
285) Christian Carroll RS SO

You can see we have some holes long term at 141 and 165. Lockett will be a true freshman this year so you could go with him at 165 if he commits. We currently don't have anyone coming in the next couple of years to fill 141. Maybe Jace Roller? That's why I really think you need to RS Carter Young. Just looking at him right now I don't think Jordan Williams will fill out enough to be a solid 165 lb'er IMO. Although I really like what I saw from Jordan at the Scuffle it is a bit concerning he's had a few bad losses during his RS year. I think the potential is there with him and he doesn't seem to be struggling with the typical things you see from freshman like getting off bottom. I think his struggles are mentally with focus. He just needs to get is mind right on the mat and be at a weight that fits him which I think will be 157.

Reactions: OAMC99 and Toadvine
What are everyone's thoughts about high school wrestling tracking riding time? I think that would force high school wrestlers to focus on riding and escaping which in turn would make future college wrestlers more equipped in these areas? Kind of like not having the 3 point line in high school but suddenly it is there in college.

What are everyone's thoughts about high school wrestling tracking riding time? I think that would force high school wrestlers to focus on riding and escaping which in turn would make future college wrestlers more equipped in these areas? Kind of like not having the 3 point line in high school but suddenly it is there in college.
I like it
Would guess the reason they don’t do it is it is hard to score (if you’ve worked the machines) and it is likely a nightmare between the refs and the scorers tables to appropriately track consistently.

Any word on Heegs injury? He was losing 5-7 in the third when he took it. Hopefully it’s not long term.

Not really moving the needle for me much. Kid can’t make weight along with other issues. Was really hoping for a big 2024 recruit. Does this mean CY is getting benched?

Doesn't really move the needle much for me either. Only thing I really like is that it will be a good training partner for CY.

All being said, if he's in orange then I hope he kicks arse of whomever he's wrestling. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

Hopefully if nothing else it gets Carter motivated and gives Daton a better workout partner

Reactions: osu2082
Good wrestler. Question his discipline and commitment. If he can improve in those two areas he has the talent to help us.

Reactions: osu2082 and DPJ
He has another year of eligibility plus a redshirt I think. If nothing else Carter should be able to take a redshirt next year so we can hopefully make a run at a title the year after.

Hope he can help us out. Being rated as high as #5 means he has potential. What is his classification?

Good information Wrassler, for 2024 class I think we should really go after Lilledahl at 125 unless we think that Blankenship is going to be a star. Also we have Beric Jordan who is very good on his feet but if he doesn't show he can get off bottom against good wrestlers we know where that leads to. However you also have to take into account how good we are with teaching and development with wrestlers in the bottom position. Jordan would be another guy we tell for 5 years pretend your drowning because somebody is holding you down in the water.
Lilledahl is a world champion already and as Pendleton says you want wrestlers who attack greatness. We don't have many of those but boy do we need some more. Lilledahl likely has very little interest in us and so we will likely go with Beric who for sure will be at least a good wrestler. It did give me a few nightmares when I think it was Broken Arrow but Beric tech falled him despite being ridden in the 2nd period for 2 minutes.

That was Jordan's first competition for the Pioneers and I was told he was nervous but knew he was going to TF the kid but did't want to make a mistake on bottom in his first match. He wrestled the same kid in the 2nd or 3rd round at the Geary tournament and escaped in the 2nd and again in the 3rd after the kid chose top. I know he's disappointed not winning back to back Ironman titles(2nd this year) but I believe he's working with his coaches every week to improve on bottom.

He has another year of eligibility plus a redshirt I think. If nothing else Carter should be able to take a redshirt next year so we can hopefully make a run at a title the year after.
It certainly creates options. How about next year Daton @ 125, Carter @ 133 and Sammy @ 141? You could have Daton do a light schedule (with Blankenship going most duals) and redshirt Mastro.

Add Mesenbrink in at 165 and you can make some noise.

It certainly creates options. How about next year Daton @ 125, Carter @ 133 and Sammy @ 141? You could have Daton do a light schedule (with Blankenship going most duals) and redshirt Mastro.

Wouldn’t be shocked with Daton at 125 since it’s an Olympic qualifying year.

Let's roll! I'm all in for changing things up, I hate losing and I'm sure the coaches hate it more! It's a good sign that we picked him up so quick, let's use the portal to our advantage.

It's 2023 Worlds this year where 61kg is a weight Olympics are next year 2024

Yea I meant next year. The post I quoted was discussing Daton at 125 next year.

Sorry should of been more clear.

Love this. Ready to see something different at 125 & 141.

dont base opinions based on whan minio sales
Flo wasn't thrilled with Sammy coming to Stillwater. Askren did not think he was better than Young or Voinovich. I think they concluded if he gets right and works hard the Cowboys could redshirt Young next year and Alveraz could take 141.

Reactions: Toadvine
I have Rutgers wrestling season tickets and Sammy Alvarez at his best can be a top 4 AA. He is extremely talented and MUCH better than Carter Young (at this point in their careers). The problem is I don't see how he is going to make 141 going forward so can Voinovich fill out to 157 if Sammy goes 149?

I have Rutgers wrestling season tickets and Sammy Alvarez at his best can be a top 4 AA. He is extremely talented and MUCH better than Carter Young (at this point in their careers). The problem is I don't see how he is going to make 141 going forward so can Voinovich fill out to 157 if Sammy goes 149?
I think Voinovich has the frame to go 157 if necessary. He's gone 70 KG in freestyle. There was some speculation on the Rutgers board that Alvarez could even go 157. A lot of possibilities.

Reactions: JAY45
He's going 141 guys. Carter to 133 after a redshirt (and daton leaving)

I think this seems the most likely scenario. Alvarez brings talent to the room to help develop and sharpen our lower weight guys. Then next year he can fill a hole of a wrestler who takes a RS (young).

Would Voinovich be eligible for an ORS?

Reactions: vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT