ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

Money talks and transfers listen.

We need a solid 125 and 165. What’s the street value going for at those weight?

Money talks and transfers listen.

We need a solid 125 and 165. What’s the street value going for at those weight?
From Flo tape it may be that Shane Griffith 165 may transfer for a covid season. But why would he go to Oklahoma State.

Last edited:
Is that how recruiting works now? Damn that NIL money train moves too fast for me

Is that how recruiting works now? Damn that NIL money train moves too fast for me
Flo had an article on and list of Portal wrestlers. I could not see much help there except 1 we already got Alverez. The real standout in there now we have already talked about and that would be Mesenbrink who is a 165 which is our weakest weight class. Boy, would he fit in nice with Carroll HWT, Thompson 174, Hughes 133, Heeg 184 and Robb 197.

Reactions: DPJ
Is it really that simple? Get third parties to agree to funding athletes, basically creating additional scholarships? And then dangle that in front of athletes that have signed up for the transfer portal?

Reactions: Toadvine
After Cornell’s showing this year at NCAA’s I think Mesenbrink will be a tough grab.

Is it really that simple? Get third parties to agree to funding athletes, basically creating additional scholarships? And then dangle that in front of athletes that have signed up for the transfer portal?
That's pretty much what's going on. Just look at football recruiting. Kids are getting multi million dollar deals to sign with a school. I would imagine a big time transfer like Real Woods got 6 figures to go to Iowa.

Yes, it’s that simple!

Do we have the money guys that can dangle?

And it's not just guys who are already in the portal. There's plenty of smoke out there about wrestlers who have been contacted and offered big $ to enter the portal and then transfer. That's why you hear about tampering allegations.

I'm sure some of our guys have been approached. And just wait until we start developing finalists & champs. We need to get ahead of this before finishing 10-20 becomes the new norm.

Doesn’t help that OSU nor John have reached out to the media ASAP for a media availability. OSU does not believe in being proactive.

Reactions: bwel9339
Seth Nevills is leaving Penn State, I hope the staff contacts him, I’m sure he wants to be the guaranteed starter somewhere, but he would give the team great depth at 285 and have to option to redshirt Carroll.

Reactions: Cowboy Tommy
Seth Nevills is leaving Penn State, I hope the staff contacts him, I’m sure he wants to be the guaranteed starter somewhere, but he would give the team great depth at 285 and have to option to redshirt Carroll.
Here is the link from FloWrestling, https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/10776671-2023-ncaa-d1-off-season-transfer-tracker

I also copied and pasted 😁

AthleteYearWeightEntered PortalTransferring From
Seth NevillsGraduate285March 21Penn State
Caelan RileyFreshman125March 21Citadel
Matt RyanSophomore149March 21Buffalo
Khalid BrinkleyGraduate149March 20Presbyterian
Dom LaJoieGraduate125March 20Cornell
Jacob PailGraduate149March 20Edinboro
Jacob ButlerGraduate157March 20Oklahoma
Charlie HeydornFreshman184March 20Ohio
Killian FoyFreshman149March 17Pitt
Nicolas CopleySophomore197March 16Sacred Heart
Noah PettigrewFreshman197March 13North Carolina
Elijah SobasFreshman197March 13Cal Baptist
Justin PhillipsGraduate174March 13Virginia
Jacob HustolesFreshman197March 13Northern Colorado
Stockton O'BrienSophomore133March 13Utah Valley
Adrien CramerFreshman184March 12Maryland
Jack HawbakerFreshman141March 10Campbell
Conor KnopickFreshman125March 10Iowa State
Roman RogotzkeFreshman184March 10SDSU
Ethan DuccaSophomore184March 10Edinboro
Mitchell MesenbrinkFreshman165March 9Cal Baptist
Jeremy SarterSophomore125March 9Michigan State
Patrick AdamsFreshman125March 9Buffalo
Daniel CurranSenior174March 9NC State
Joey MilanoFreshman184March 9NC State
Eli SheerenFreshman197March 9Buffalo
Nick MinnickFreshman133March 9Buffalo
Thomas CurranFreshman149March 9NC State
Peyton CraftFreshman174March 9Cornell
Darren GreenJunior141March 9Wyoming
Kaleb SnodgrassJunior285March 9Lock Haven
Hayden LiebJunior174March 9Wyoming
Daniel SnedikerJunior165March 9Utah Valley
Donald CatesGraduate165March 9NC State

Entered The Portal During The Season​

Caleb BrooksSenior141March 8Northern Illinois
William SpassovFreshman157March 3Illinois
Jeff BoydGraduate149March 1West Virginia
Matthew LaurieGraduate149February 27Sacred Heart
Jack BruceGraduate125February 21Franklin & Marshall
Roman SchwabFreshman285February 10Nebraska
Michael GoldfederGraduate174February 8North Carolina
Yaraslau SlavikouskiGraduate285January 26Harvard
Jake EckerleSophomore133January 13Buffalo
Kyle DavisSenior184January 13George Mason
Jacob Perez-EliSophomore141January 13Rider
Sammy AlvarezSophomore141January 11Rutgers
Vincent DemariaFreshman149January 9Sacred Heart
Ivan MorrisFreshman149January 6Northern Colorado
Jonathan KervinSophomore157January 5Indiana
Reece GrossFreshman157January 2Kent State
Jacob KaminskiFreshman285December 30Indiana
Kenneth HendricksenFreshman125December 20Chattanooga
Branden Paul PagurayanDecember 17Wyoming
Jacob VeneziaSophomore125December 15Sacred Heart
Jakob WoodleySenior197December 13Oklahoma
Jeffery GellerSophomore174December 13Gardner-Webb
David RochaFreshman133December 13Northern Illinois
Garrett ForemaFreshman149December 12Little Rock
Zakary TaylorSophomore197December 10Nebraska
Easton TobiaSophomore157December 9Bellarmine
Paul Esparza-Garcia Freshman125December 7Wyoming
Killian FoyFreshman149December 2Pitt
John LaffertySophomore133November 28Sacred Heart
Ryan SullivanSophomore133November 24West Virginia
Scott SchlettFreshman184November 18Ohio
Bo DijuliusFreshman141November 16Edinboro
Malcolm ChrispinFreshman149November 15Northern Illinois
Erich ByelickGraduate165November 14Northwestern
Xavier TorresGraduate174November 10Kent State
Antonio GeorgeSophomore149November 9Oklahoma
Sean CoughlinFreshman157November 9Pitt
Zackary SmallFreshman174November 9Northern Colorado
Nicholas WoodruffFreshman197November 7App State
Elias SmithFreshman133November 2Clarion
Dakota MaschoFreshman165November 2Clarion
Edward SimesFreshman165November 1NDSU
Gabe WillochelSophomore141October 31Edinboro
Nick FreemanGraduate149October 26Michigan
Danny FongaroGraduate149October 26Columbia
Devon BellFreshman184October 11Campbell

Doesn’t help that OSU nor John have reached out to the media ASAP for a media availability. OSU does not believe in being proactive.
I agree with this in that Coach Smith needs to respond to the Cowboy fan base to bring some hope in the Program. Here it is almost Thursday and still no response from Cowboy wrestling. Hopefully it will occur and hopefully soon. Wrassler indicated that Coach Smith after last year said they were working 12 hours a day to fix things and then the result was this year maybe I wouldn't want to get in front and explain the season. That doesn't give you much hope and that if they put in 12 hour days and got this, they must be clueless. The 2023 recruiting class seems to be the only bright lights but we are already writing about potential problems there also. We seem to have horrible Karma, Also FRL today indicated how high school stars are wrestling so many more matches than 20 or 30 years ago and so Penn. St. works smart but not as hard. Maybe their on to something ( they concluded that it was astonishing how few serious injuries they have had for 10 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: CowboyTanker
I agree with this in that Coach Smith needs to respond to the Cowboy fan base to bring some hope in the Program. Here it is almost Thursday and still no response from Cowboy wrestling. Hopefully it will occur and hopefully soon. Wrassler indicated that Coach Smith after last year said they were working 12 hours a day to fix things and then the result was this year maybe I wouldn't want to get in front and explain the season. That doesn't give you much hope and that if they put in 12 hour days and got this, they must be clueless. The 2023 recruiting class seems to be the only bright lights but we are already writing about potential problems there also. We seem to have horrible Karma, Also FRL today indicated how high school stars are wrestling so many more matches than 20 or 30 years ago and so Penn. St. works smart but not as hard. Maybe their on to something ( they concluded that it was astonishing how few serious injuries they have had for 10 years.
Media sessions are usually on Wednesdays, including the final one last season after NCAAs. I checked Adam Engel's twitter earlier, but he didn't post anything. Seems odd.

That Quentin Wright interview talked about PSU's training habits. He said they take detailed practice notes and make adjustments as needed to avoid injuries. They also cut down practice time during the season. Start at 2 hours, cut to 90 minutes mid season, then go to 1 hour at the end of January. Helps avoid injury and peak for the post season.

I'd like to know what we are doing and how G got injured between Big12s and NCAAs. Didn't Collica & Schafer also get injured right before Nationals? And I thought the team looked flat. Daton and Luke in particular looked a step slow to me. Luke was resting his arm on his leg in the first period.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Cael Hughes & Brayden Thompson are wrestling in the PWC tomorrow on Flo.

Hughes faces Willie's #20 guy at 133. They met 4 years ago in freestyle and Hughes won.

Thompson gets an unranked guy at 189. PA considered pulling #6 Sonny Sasso down from 215 to face Thompson, but couldn't make it happen.

Media sessions are usually on Wednesdays, including the final one last season after NCAAs. I checked Adam Engel's twitter earlier, but he didn't post anything. Seems odd.

That Quentin Wright interview talked about PSU's training habits. He said they take detailed practice notes and make adjustments as needed to avoid injuries. They also cut down practice time during the season. Start at 2 hours, cut to 90 minutes mid season, then go to 1 hour at the end of January. Helps avoid injury and peak for the post season.

I'd like to know what we are doing and how G got injured between Big12s and NCAAs. Didn't Collica & Schafer also get injured right before Nationals? And I thought the team looked flat. Daton and Luke in particular looked a step slow to me. Luke was resting his arm on his leg in the first period.
It looked like to me that G got injured in his next-to-last match

Surprised there hasn’t been a post season presser, but It’s likely John is doing a lot of reflecting after this season and we won’t hear anything from him until he’s ready to tackle the big questions. Im looking at this as a good thing rather than him just quickly say things and fill our ears with noise.

Here is the link from FloWrestling, https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/10776671-2023-ncaa-d1-off-season-transfer-tracker

I also copied and pasted 😁

Seth NevillsGraduate285March 21Penn State
Caelan RileyFreshman125March 21Citadel
Matt RyanSophomore149March 21Buffalo
Khalid BrinkleyGraduate149March 20Presbyterian
Dom LaJoieGraduate125March 20Cornell
Jacob PailGraduate149March 20Edinboro
Jacob ButlerGraduate157March 20Oklahoma
Charlie HeydornFreshman184March 20Ohio
Killian FoyFreshman149March 17Pitt
Nicolas CopleySophomore197March 16Sacred Heart
Noah PettigrewFreshman197March 13North Carolina
Elijah SobasFreshman197March 13Cal Baptist
Justin PhillipsGraduate174March 13Virginia
Jacob HustolesFreshman197March 13Northern Colorado
Stockton O'BrienSophomore133March 13Utah Valley
Adrien CramerFreshman184March 12Maryland
Jack HawbakerFreshman141March 10Campbell
Conor KnopickFreshman125March 10Iowa State
Roman RogotzkeFreshman184March 10SDSU
Ethan DuccaSophomore184March 10Edinboro
Mitchell MesenbrinkFreshman165March 9Cal Baptist
Jeremy SarterSophomore125March 9Michigan State
Patrick AdamsFreshman125March 9Buffalo
Daniel CurranSenior174March 9NC State
Joey MilanoFreshman184March 9NC State
Eli SheerenFreshman197March 9Buffalo
Nick MinnickFreshman133March 9Buffalo
Thomas CurranFreshman149March 9NC State
Peyton CraftFreshman174March 9Cornell
Darren GreenJunior141March 9Wyoming
Kaleb SnodgrassJunior285March 9Lock Haven
Hayden LiebJunior174March 9Wyoming
Daniel SnedikerJunior165March 9Utah Valley
Donald CatesGraduate165March 9NC State

Entered The Portal During The Season​

Caleb BrooksSenior141March 8Northern Illinois
William SpassovFreshman157March 3Illinois
Jeff BoydGraduate149March 1West Virginia
Matthew LaurieGraduate149February 27Sacred Heart
Jack BruceGraduate125February 21Franklin & Marshall
Roman SchwabFreshman285February 10Nebraska
Michael GoldfederGraduate174February 8North Carolina
Yaraslau SlavikouskiGraduate285January 26Harvard
Jake EckerleSophomore133January 13Buffalo
Kyle DavisSenior184January 13George Mason
Jacob Perez-EliSophomore141January 13Rider
Sammy AlvarezSophomore141January 11Rutgers
Vincent DemariaFreshman149January 9Sacred Heart
Ivan MorrisFreshman149January 6Northern Colorado
Jonathan KervinSophomore157January 5Indiana
Reece GrossFreshman157January 2Kent State
Jacob KaminskiFreshman285December 30Indiana
Kenneth HendricksenFreshman125December 20Chattanooga
Branden Paul PagurayanDecember 17Wyoming
Jacob VeneziaSophomore125December 15Sacred Heart
Jakob WoodleySenior197December 13Oklahoma
Jeffery GellerSophomore174December 13Gardner-Webb
David RochaFreshman133December 13Northern Illinois
Garrett ForemaFreshman149December 12Little Rock
Zakary TaylorSophomore197December 10Nebraska
Easton TobiaSophomore157December 9Bellarmine
Paul Esparza-GarciaFreshman125December 7Wyoming
Killian FoyFreshman149December 2Pitt
John LaffertySophomore133November 28Sacred Heart
Ryan SullivanSophomore133November 24West Virginia
Scott SchlettFreshman184November 18Ohio
Bo DijuliusFreshman141November 16Edinboro
Malcolm ChrispinFreshman149November 15Northern Illinois
Erich ByelickGraduate165November 14Northwestern
Xavier TorresGraduate174November 10Kent State
Antonio GeorgeSophomore149November 9Oklahoma
Sean CoughlinFreshman157November 9Pitt
Zackary SmallFreshman174November 9Northern Colorado
Nicholas WoodruffFreshman197November 7App State
Elias SmithFreshman133November 2Clarion
Dakota MaschoFreshman165November 2Clarion
Edward SimesFreshman165November 1NDSU
Gabe WillochelSophomore141October 31Edinboro
Nick FreemanGraduate149October 26Michigan
Danny FongaroGraduate149October 26Columbia
Devon BellFreshman184October 11Campbell
New additions.

Bernie Truax Senior 197 March 23 Cal Poly
Colton Smitley Freshman 133 March 22 West Virginia
David Bertrand Sophomore 184 March 22 Presbyterian
Jack Marlow Junior 141 March 22 Buffalo

Last edited:
Could Surber make 184? RS Plott and put Wittlake at 174.
Sounds like Truaxx could make 84 pretty easy. He could fit right in our lineup if they want to redshirt Plott. I could see him going to Penn st though, bump Brooks up to 97 and Truaxx to 84.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Sounds like Truaxx could make 84 pretty easy. He could fit right in our lineup if they want to redshirt Plott. I could see him going to Penn st though, bump Brooks up to 97 and Truaxx to 84.
Yeah, especially if Iowa gets AJ.

Askren also confirmed that PSU is talking to Mesenbrink. That one's a little less clear because everyone expects Haines to go up to 165. Some speculation that they could go for Griffith instead and RS Haines.

Reactions: DPJ
Cael Hughes & Brayden Thompson are wrestling in the PWC tomorrow on Flo.

Hughes faces Willie's #20 guy at 133. They met 4 years ago in freestyle and Hughes won.

Thompson gets an unranked guy at 189. PA considered pulling #6 Sonny Sasso down from 215 to face Thompson, but couldn't make it happen.
Cael Hughes won 6 to 0 after a scoreless 1st period. 2nd period Hughes got an escape, takedown and then got a 3 point near fall.

Michael Mocco won the freshman 220 bracket at NHSCA. He beat a quality PA kid in the finals 4-1. He recently won a state championship in FL. Virtually no OK kids entered and none placed in any of the divisions.

Reactions: turfpoke
Saw on Matscouts they posted some guys who could possibly enter the portal and I thought there were some very interesting ones that would be great for osu. At 125 there were a few that were interesting my favorite would be Troy spratley. He wrestled at Collinsville for a year maybe two but he’s friends with Jordan Williams and the staff recruited him coming out of high school. Other guys that might enter the portal at 125 are Cooper Flynn and Dylan Shawver. I would go after a guy like spratley because he has 4 years of eligibility left but I think Witcraft would be better than the other options. At 165 we need to hit the portal and there are actually some interesting options like Aiden Riggins who osu recruited out of high school. Also cam steed who was a 4 time champ from Collinsville. Steed is behind O’Toole at 165 and maybe Messinbrink at 157 if steed can even make 157. Riggins is behind Patrick Kennedy and Nelson brands. Also if he can make 157 he would be behind Cody Chittum. Riggins and steed both have 4 years of eligibility left and would probably start as qualifiers and grow into AAs as everyone gets older

Saw on Matscouts they posted some guys who could possibly enter the portal and I thought there were some very interesting ones that would be great for osu. At 125 there were a few that were interesting my favorite would be Troy spratley. He wrestled at Collinsville for a year maybe two but he’s friends with Jordan Williams and the staff recruited him coming out of high school. Other guys that might enter the portal at 125 are Cooper Flynn and Dylan Shawver. I would go after a guy like spratley because he has 4 years of eligibility left but I think Witcraft would be better than the other options. At 165 we need to hit the portal and there are actually some interesting options like Aiden Riggins who osu recruited out of high school. Also cam steed who was a 4 time champ from Collinsville. Steed is behind O’Toole at 165 and maybe Messinbrink at 157 if steed can even make 157. Riggins is behind Patrick Kennedy and Nelson brands. Also if he can make 157 he would be behind Cody Chittum. Riggins and steed both have 4 years of eligibility left and would probably start as qualifiers and grow into AAs as everyone gets older
Troy Spratley 100%

Reactions: Ok_Longhorn
Latest additions to the portal.

Chris Cannon Graduate 133 March 29 Northwestern
Izzak Olejnik Graduate 165 March 27 Northern Illinois
Bryer Hall Sophomore 174 March 27 Ohio State
Hunter Mays Sophomore 165 March 27 Rider
Jacob Hansen Junior 184 March 24 CSU Bakersfield
Ryan Catka Junior 285 March 24 Navy
Keegan Roberson Freshman 157 March 24 Campbell

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts