ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

Is there any new recruiting rumors or news out there that is looking good for the program?
I listened to Flo's who's number 1 show and they had talked to Angelo Ferrari who had told them his recruitment was open and he wasn't for certain going to Oklahoma State. He likes Minnesota , Oklahoma, Rutgers, North Carolina, Arizona State and Oklahoma State. He wants to be recruited which you can't blame him. Oklahoma State is the favorite of course. Cael Hughes and Jersey Robb are listed for Fargo. Also Lockett, Roller and Voinovich are listed for Fargo. A Ferrari is not listed for Fargo. Someone reported that Beric Jordan is coming to Stillwater high. He is listed at number 1 at 106 as a junior( this coming year). He does need to grow to be a top recruit.

Very puzzling both Anthony & Angelo haven't wrestled freestyle season. They would have been threats to make the Junior/Cadet world teams and to win Fargo.

I read Jimmy Mullen is supposed to announce next month. Many schools are giving guys the opportunity to do both football & wrestling (Iowa, Rutgers, Lehigh, etc.,), so I don't know our chances. Still hopeful.

There's a post on the OhioSt board that says we are leading for Sonny Sasso (195), Sammy's younger brother. But OhioSt is making a push and they seem to be swimming in NIL $ right now. I haven't seen rankings recently, but I think Sasso is in the top 25 PFP for 2023.

Although I respect Angelo for keeping his options open and making the best decision for himself I sure hope that decision is to follow his brothers in Stillwater. The kid is going to be a beast and with LaDarion Lockett in the 2025 class that would make 2 potential NC in our upper weights.

Although I respect Angelo for keeping his options open and making the best decision for himself I sure hope that decision is to follow his brothers in Stillwater. The kid is going to be a beast and with LaDarion Lockett in the 2025 class that would make 2 potential NC in our upper weights.
Fix took his trips even though he was a lock to be a cowboy. Never know exactly how much other schools have to offer for a talent like Angelo. I’d assume he’s going to be the #1 PFP recruit his Senior year. He’ll probably be pretty close to that for his Junior year. He’s a bona fide stud.

Fix took his trips even though he was a lock to be a cowboy. Never know exactly how much other schools have to offer for a talent like Angelo. I’d assume he’s going to be the #1 PFP recruit his Senior year. He’ll probably be pretty close to that for his Junior year. He’s a bona fide stud.
Jersey Robb, Cael Hughes are in the round of 32 in juniors. Lockett is in the quarterfinals for cadets. All have won by tech falls.

Hopefully OSU is able to nab every single one of those Stillwater & Bixby guys...

Reactions: osu2082
Recruiting rumor: A poster on the PSU board who claims to know about the recruitment of Cody Chittum says he expects Chittum to commit to OSU now that the Ferraris are gone. I believe Chittum has been the #1 recruit in 2023 but has reclassified to 2022. He has already been committed to Iowa and Minnesota up to this point.

Recruiting rumor: A poster on the PSU board who claims to know about the recruitment of Cody Chittum says he expects Chittum to commit to OSU now that the Ferraris are gone. I believe Chittum has been the #1 recruit in 2023 but has reclassified to 2022. He has already been committed to Iowa and Minnesota up to this point.
Kody Routledge came back and beat Gaj from Penn. and is in the cadet finals at 145. Lockett has been impressive also getting in the finals at 152.

Chittum is a beast. Would be a huge get.

Chittum projects as a 149/157 I believe. With Voinovich & Williams seemingly lined up there, I wonder if that means the coaches are confident Williams can get to 165.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
You take Chittum regardless of who else is wherever.
I'll be in the minority on this, but I disagree. I don't think Chittum is a can't miss prospect - someone you get and everyone else has to fit around him. It would not surprise me at all if Voinovich & Williams end up having better careers.

I used to get concerned about how our roster would backlog at certain weights with good wrestlers. Anymore I just want the best guys we can get and let performance in the mat sort it out. I honestly think there many unknowns about the middle weight classes. Hearing some of these kids can cut comfortably and some kids are growing. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when it all shakes out.

I personally hope we change our approach and start considering lifting up a weight instead of cutting down a weight. If there’s one thing that’s become clear to me lately, it’s the fact we often get out horsed. I really think our weight philosophy has to be evaluated and tweaked.

But what do I know?

I'll be in the minority on this, but I disagree. I don't think Chittum is a can't miss prospect - someone you get and everyone else has to fit around him. It would not surprise me at all if Voinovich & Williams end up having better careers.
I agree I think a large part of his success is his age and physical maturity in high school. But if the improvement keeps happening he could develop well in college.

I agree I think a large part of his success is his age and physical maturity in high school. But if the improvement keeps happening he could develop well in college.
I would like to have Chittum even though we have Voinovich and Williams and on top of that I believe the cant-miss wrestler we have to have is Ladarion Lockett. He is the best prospect I have seen since Fix and he is at 152 now and is tearing up the U16 at Fargo. He has not had a close match and is in the finals today. He not only has all the moves but he is the first wrestler lately that I have seen that will use them all on one takedown attempt. He does not stop until he gets it. He is the true meaning of chain wrestling.

Yes, Lockett is slick. Reminds me a little of Kenny Monday. Chittum looked amazing in the matches I have watched but I honestly have no idea about the quality of his opponents. Seems like he won some bigtime events.

I would like to have Chittum even though we have Voinovich and Williams and on top of that I believe the cant-miss wrestler we have to have is Ladarion Lockett. He is the best prospect I have seen since Fix and he is at 152 now and is tearing up the U16 at Fargo. He has not had a close match and is in the finals today. He not only has all the moves but he is the first wrestler lately that I have seen that will use them all on one takedown attempt. He does not stop until he gets it. He is the true meaning of chain wrestling.
Horrible morning with Hughes losing a 4 to 0 lead in the second period because twice he got himself into throw situations with an opponent who is looking to throw and got thrown for 2 and then 4 points. Worse was Robb leading 7 to 2 with 30 seconds left and gave up a takedown by not hand fighting and letting the opponent get in tight and then gut wrenched twice. The Hughes got tech falled by a South Dakota kid and Hughes is out of the tournament.

Horrible morning with Hughes losing a 4 to 0 lead in the second period because twice he got himself into throw situations with an opponent who is looking to throw and got thrown for 2 and then 4 points. Worse was Robb leading 7 to 2 with 30 seconds left and gave up a takedown by not hand fighting and letting the opponent get in tight and then gut wrenched twice. The Hughes got tech falled by a South Dakota kid and Hughes is out of the tournament.
It's nice to know we can count on you.

On his Instagram page he posted that he committed to Minnesota in June ‘21. Has something changed since then?

Heegs moving to Stillwater cause any changes in his recruiting?
Heeg just made the finals of Junior Nationals @ 182. There was a post in May on the OU board (by an insider) that OSU was going to flip an OU recruit soon. He didn't give a name.

I haven't seen any signs that Heeg will flip, but he would be a very good pickup.

Reactions: DPJ
Heeg just made the finals of Junior Nationals @ 182. There was a post in May on the OU board (by an insider) that OSU was going to flip an OU recruit soon. He didn't give a name.

I haven't seen any signs that Heeg will flip, but he would be a very good pickup.

You would think being in the Stillwater program and being in and around our room will give him something to think about.

You would think being in the Stillwater program and being in and around our room will give him something to think about.
Hopefully. Heeg also had some good wins at Junior Duals so his stock is definitely on the rise.

Another target that would make sense is Joe Sealey, top 5 in the 2024 class. Projects as a 165. Just made the Cadet World team and owns a win over Lockett. Every top program will be after him.

Reactions: turfpoke
Heegs moving to Stillwater cause any changes in his recruiting?
Heegs is the only OK wrestler that made it to the finals to be wrestled today. Garrett Wells at 182 is wrestling for 5th and Layton Schneider at 138 is also wrestling for 5th.

I may be super late to the party but, did you guys know that wrestlestat has an unofficial transfer portal? You have to sign up (it’s free) looking through the names I can’t say I’m super excited about any of the current available athletes.

I may be super late to the party but, did you guys know that wrestlestat has an unofficial transfer portal? You have to sign up (it’s free) looking through the names I can’t say I’m super excited about any of the current available athletes.
The good(or bad) thing about the portal is that it can change at any moment. 5 NCAA champs could enter today. There are no longer rules.

I think Heeg moving to Stillwater is a pretty clear sign he could flip. That news is new to me though. But the real question is does Coach Smith really want to take a chance on another AJ?? Lol!

I think Heeg moving to Stillwater is a pretty clear sign he could flip. That news is new to me though. But the real question is does Coach Smith really want to take a chance on another AJ?? Lol!
Initially I thought the OU poster might be referring to KJ Evans because Joe Smith was recently named head coach at Heritage Hall. After the Stillwater transfer was announced, I figured he was referring to Heeg. I do know that Heeg's dad tweets the OU coaches a lot, so obviously nothing about flipping has been communicated yet.

With Smith stating at HH it brings a question to my mind. Is it an NCAA violation for a High School coach to encourage his wrestlers to go to a particular university?

The Joe Smith head coaching job at Heritage Hall is a good story line that hasn't been discussed much on these boards if any. It will be interesting to see how good of a coach Joe will be, but I personally think that was a great hire if not for the name alone to bring in more talented wrestlers in OKC. HH has done a very good job building the program to one of the top wrestling programs in the state with just a handful of guys mind you.

This is crazy to me because I actually attended HH back in the 90's from elementary through junior high and when we were in 7th grade they changed the athletics program and required all boys to pick either wrestling or basketball for a winter sport to play. The same was with the Fall and Spring sports, football, and track or tennis. The only other option was to be a team trainer/manager. I had already been wrestling for a few years, but we ended up having around 25 kids in the junior high wrestling program with several going on to wrestle in high school. At the time we had one guy Coach Ring who coached both the junior high and high school teams. The coach had very little wrestling experience and knowledge so he wasn't really even qualified to be coaching, but we had some guys who had the talent and desire. When they hired Floyd Lorne in 2012 he turned it around for them.

Chittum to Iowa
Wrassler, I didn't know how serious he was considering Oklahoma State. But here is my concern, after the terrible blow our Program has taken the leaders of the Wrestling Program have to find or do something that will excite the fan base quickly to try and get some momentum going our way again. A big commitment or 2 could get that done. We will see how our leadership responds but based on the last 15 years I have great doubt about our response.

Wrassler, I didn't know how serious he was considering Oklahoma State. But here is my concern, after the terrible blow our Program has taken the leaders of the Wrestling Program have to find or do something that will excite the fan base quickly to try and get some momentum going our way again. A big commitment or 2 could get that done. We will see how our leadership responds but based on the last 15 years I have great doubt about our response.

Fairly serious. I believe it came down to OSU and Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT