ADVERTISEMENT

OSU-Iowa updates, please

Coach Smith gave him a very clear hand signal to pick up the pace and score. So clear, the announcers emphasized the instruction.

You make the call as to whether he listened to his coach.

No I agree with you. The coaches wanted more from Heil. I’m just saying it doesn’t surprise me. Heil is not the guy who is going to turn up to try and get bonus. It sucks but it isn’t going to change.

Poke fans... great effort, overall. I don't think many Hawk fans thought OSU would make it this close.
BS, If this bunch cannot beat freaking lowly Iowa, how can they ever beat Penn St.?

We have to many conservative wrestlers. No chance at National

Reactions: MitchL
Couldn't watch the dual live and the link on the Iowa board didn't work, so I ended up with the Trackwrestling dashboard. It was painful following the 149 match that way - looked like a video game with the points going up - it must have been worse to actually see it.

We should recognize that this is a rebuilding year. We have two studs in redshirt. It is very tough to wrestle at HCA as the crowd really intimidates the ref and the opposing wrestlers. That was pretty tough for Boo, but I doubt he will ever fold like that again.

They can't beat PSU. Did someone actually think they can? Hell, the battle for the next few years is for 3rd place.
Who is 2nd next year Ohio State loses 125, 174 and their man among boys heavyweight.

We Have Picc, Fix, Brock, Joe Smith, and Wiegel, so 5 Probable HIGH All Americans, and lots of depth with good room competition Gadfeller, Lewellan, C. Rogers,Jacobe Smith and maybe others could emerge as NCAA point getters, Getting the 5 in the lineup by who goes at each weight is a problem, but, it will be a good team and PSU loses Retherford who is almost automatic bonus pionts in every match so it's interesting. Could be 8-9 All Americans (5 High AA's with chances an Individual titles) so a good/potentially great team next year.

Last edited:
We should recognize that this is a rebuilding year. We have two studs in redshirt. It is very tough to wrestle at HCA as the crowd really intimidates the ref and the opposing wrestlers. That was pretty tough for Boo, but I doubt he will ever fold like that again.
It appears we are not rebuilding and instead we are regressing. Our best performance was in the beginning of the year against Minnesota, Last 3 or 4 duals we don't get any upsets but we sure get upset ourselves frequently. Also we have some wrestlers who don't give maximum effort and we have made some real big recruiting mistakes. I can't say good things about our coaches with these poor performances. What hurts is the 2 freshmen that you are talking about are in weights where we are strong. Although if Gfeller can do 149 that would be better because 149 has been disappointing this year. I can't say who has had a good year maybe White and Weigel( short year). Iowa fans being able to come on this forum and say we did good today after this poor effort is sad.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
PSU rolls out bonus machine Studs. Winning 3-0 will not cut it for us anymore

Again struggles mid year is nothing new for OSU under coach Smith and "struggle" may be too strong for what happened today. I don't anyone is happy with the overall performance but ill point out some positives.

At 125 Lee was viewed as a possible title contender if he came out of RS and you saw why today. The bout started exactly how Lee needed to get the win and after the initial terrible start Picc was able to come back strong. The gap will close the next time these two meet but Lee is also the real deal.

165 was awful close and Marineli is one who will continue to rise in the ranking. I think Rogers can win this away from HCA. Two really good wrestlers.

I think our best 184 is still rounding into shape and weight.

Weigel looks primed to take another step up the AA ladder this year. White squirted himself well against a top 3 guy and was oh so close to pulling this upset. He should continue to improve and sure looks like a strong AA candadite at a weight that had major question marks heading into the season.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
We need Coach Boyton to visit a couple of wrestlers about “gutless” performances. He seemed to get results with his team yesterday.

Too soon to throw Lewallen to the wolves. He will get better and in better shape. I might point out for the Martinez boosters that head to head Lewallen has had the upper hand. That was an embarassing match but I recall National champion and Olympic champion being handed a very lopsided loss in front of a home crowd by a Brands. It was every bit as dominant performance. It happens and it is not the end of the world. Bright spots today include Pic not giving into momentum and coming back two takedowns at the end. Jonce Blaylock fought tooth and nail against the most aggressive Iowa wrestler, Weigel posts a dominant performance over the #5 ranked Wilcke and Derek White took #3 to a second sudden victory over time. After being very stingy in giving up only one takedown to Renda Keegan Moore was more than generous with his legs to an unranked wrestler. This is very perplexing. Dean Heil is way too conservative and should have taken chances to get back points. He was in no danger of being upset. Even Brock with a major decision did not appear to go all out for more points. I would suggest the rest of the team should emulate Pic,Blaylock,Weigel and White. Were we intimidated by the crowd? John should not have given up a team point but to be fair even the Big Ten announcers could not see the reason for the second warning.
Finally, hats off to Iowa. They wrestled liked they wanted to win when we wrestled timidly and they definitely deserved to win today.

Not specific to this dual, but with PSU and tOSU battling for 1st this year, I was hoping to see team wide improvement so we would challenge in 2018-19 and 2019-20. Instead, I think some guys have improved and some have leveled off.

Heading into the dual, I was a little concerned about the flying back from Italy and then out to Iowa, but I don't think it ended up being a factor.

Some good...
125 - yes Picc lost, but when was the last time Lee gave up 2 takedowns in a match? Like the addition of the cradle. Maybe this is my homer pick, but I still think he can beat anyone come tournament time.
157 - Jonce is a battler. Kemerer is the clear #2 at the weight and Jonce hung in there. Like to see him bulk up for next year. In the Flo pre match videos, he wasn't even wearing sweats while everyone else was cutting weight.
197 - Preston might be one of the guys that jumped levels this year. Has added some neutral offense. Controlled a solid wrestler. Possible finalist?
285 - Derek, the breakout guy. From the Flo clips, it looked like Stoll wasn't able to sumo him around the mat. Got out from bottom (which he didn't against Hughes from Hofstra). Obviously he is not Kyle Snyder (no one is), but they are both small, athletic Hwys. Get in a film room and watch endless clips of Kyle's low single off a collar tie and his snatch single. How high can he finish at nationals?

The not so good...
149 - can't give Boo a mulligan here, since I gave him one for Italy. A few years back, Flo had an interview with Eddie Klimara at the beginning of his true sophmore year. They asked him about having his redshirt pulled as a freshman and his early struggles. He said coach Smith sat him down and said to him you are not just wrestling in D1, you are in a Cowboy singlet out there and representing OSU, time to put your big boy pants on and Cowboy up. Eddie said that's when he started wrestling better as a true freshman. Maybe time to give Tristan a couple of starts and let Boo think things over.
184 - Credit to Bowman, he's tough, Iowa's version of Jonce Blaylock. But Keegan has always had a suspect gas tank. I don't know if it's due to the weight cut or not, maybe he's too big for 184. Coaches could give Andrew a couple of starts.

Obviously, to anyone that has seen boo wrestle before should know that there is something wrong with boo. He has never been teched in his career. What about the other 17 wins this year with wins against top ranked guys. The few of you that want to get on here and run your mouth like your some kind of Rocky Balboa hero is disgusting. The problem is fixed and will show proof Friday. Not going to make excuses like you pussies. If you don't like my comments I would gladly meet you anywhere anytime.

Reactions: osu2082
Obviously, to anyone that has seen boo wrestle before should know that there is something wrong with boo. He has never been teched in his career. What about the other 17 wins this year with wins against top ranked guys. The few of you that want to get on here and run your mouth like your some kind of Rocky Balboa hero is disgusting. The problem is fixed and will show proof Friday. Not going to make excuses like you pussies. If you don't like my comments I would gladly meet you anywhere anytime.
mrknu7py2u4itk5625e0b2e364d.jpg

While I'm disappointed, this team will round in shape and challenge to be on podium in march. Too many times have we used a mid January performance to write off the season only to see the team perform well at NCAAs
It does seem like you guys wrestle above your seeds year in and year out at the NCAA tourney. Smith is one heck of a coach and he will get your guys ready. IMHO

Boo is that you ?

Finally saw the match and have a couple more comments/questions...

Gotta love the officiating in Carver. Not only was coach Smith hit with that ridiculous penalty point (the announcers even said he must have good ears), but the ref also yelled no touching when Zack gave Kaid some quick instructions on his way back to the circle during an out of bounds stoppage. Meanwhile, what happened when Terry Brands actually touched an official (in bounds) during a live action pin call in the Iowa/Illinois dual? Answer: nothing, can't make this stuff up.

I was surprised the coaches let Picc choose neutral in the 2nd. I know other coaches will do that - Cael with Suriano against Lizak, Brands with Gilman against Picc during the NCAAs, but I thought John almost always had his guys go underneath.

Couldn't tell from the earlier comments, but Dean didn't look good. Not only did he not push for bonus, he looked tired in the 3rd and he let Turk get to his legs a couple of times.

Anyone know why the official stopped and then restarted riding time in the 3rd period of Jacobe's match? Almost like riding time is stopped if you are in control but below the waist? Didn't follow that one.

Finally saw the match and have a couple more comments/questions...

Gotta love the officiating in Carver. Not only was coach Smith hit with that ridiculous penalty point (the announcers even said he must have good ears), but the ref also yelled no touching when Zack gave Kaid some quick instructions on his way back to the circle during an out of bounds stoppage. Meanwhile, what happened when Terry Brands actually touched an official (in bounds) during a live action pin call in the Iowa/Illinois dual? Answer: nothing, can't make this stuff up.

I was surprised the coaches let Picc choose neutral in the 2nd. I know other coaches will do that - Cael with Suriano against Lizak, Brands with Gilman against Picc during the NCAAs, but I thought John almost always had his guys go underneath.

Couldn't tell from the earlier comments, but Dean didn't look good. Not only did he not push for bonus, he looked tired in the 3rd and he let Turk get to his legs a couple of times.

Anyone know why the official stopped and then restarted riding time in the 3rd period of Jacobe's match? Almost like riding time is stopped if you are in control but below the waist? Didn't follow that one.
I think the final one is new change to this year, which I like. It sounded to me like new this year is if the bottom guy is near escaping and the top guy is hit with a five count of hanging on the lower legs they hit him with a stall and stop riding time, but let the action go. Last year they would have stopped the action and restarted back in middle with the top guy getting a fresh start. There were many matches last year where that rule hurt the bottom guy.

I think the final one is new change to this year, which I like. It sounded to me like new this year is if the bottom guy is near escaping and the top guy is hit with a five count of hanging on the lower legs they hit him with a stall and stop riding time, but let the action go. Last year they would have stopped the action and restarted back in middle with the top guy getting a fresh start. There were many matches last year where that rule hurt the bottom guy.

Ahh, ok, thanks. Didn't know that.

Reactions: cbond
Again struggles mid year is nothing new for OSU under coach Smith and "struggle" may be too strong for what happened today. I don't anyone is happy with the overall performance but ill point out some positives.

Yeah, this happens every year. If you were somehow under the impression this team could or needed to compete with PSU/OSU this year then by all means freak out. That was never in the cards. My guess is come March we will have most of our guys wrestled fine come tournament time.

Reactions: osu2082
I'm not sure we're going to be able to compete with Penn State in a tournament format for the forseeeable future. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm not sure we're going to be able to compete with Penn State in a tournament format for the forseeeable future. Hope I'm wrong.

I think we will be competitive next year but I just might be being optimistic. I think we can definitely compete with them after next year. I'm not saying we will beat them. However, if we can make it work weight wise with our lower weights we are going to put out stacked teams the next couple of years.

One question, in the White’s match their was a challenge that Stoll got a takedown that wasn’t called. After the review, Stoll was awarded the takedown and they restarted the match with White down. As Brand called the challenge, White had kicked loose from Stoll. If Stoll got the credit for the takedown shouldn’t White get an escape point?

One question, in the White’s match their was a challenge that Stoll got a takedown that wasn’t called. After the review, Stoll was awarded the takedown and they restarted the match with White down. As Brand called the challenge, White had kicked loose from Stoll. If Stoll got the credit for the takedown shouldn’t White get an escape point?

Yeah kind of screwy. I'm sure the refs did it by the book but the escape happened so quick after the takedown it seems wrong to give Stoll the two and not give White the escape. I'm guessing the refs couldn't do that though.

I wondered the EXACT same thing, but I'm a wrestling moron so don't ask me.

The theory is that if the points were given that both wrestlers would wrestle differently having a different situation.

pretty sure when there is a mistake in the call (overturned by review) they restart the match & clock from that point

its something others have said they need to revisit regarding the rule because some situations, like this one, are obvious that the guy got an escape or in other situations where a guy did get a takedown thru continuation but match restarts where they over turn from review - no takedown

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT