ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa or Penn state

tom_v31

2nd Team
Jan 24, 2020
Bartlesville
I’m apologizing right up front about this thread, because I hate them both and I have to waste everyone’s time talking about Penn state. That being said, who do you want to lose most this Friday (I think), PSU or Iowa? I’m torn, because I always hate Iowa but I would like to see PSU knocked down a peg, but I don’t want Iowa to gain any traction before our bout. The thought of PSU setting records this NCAA championship makes my stomach turn and Iowa winning any bouts makes me ill. What’s your alls thoughts this coming weekend?

I’m apologizing right up front about this thread, because I hate them both and I have to waste everyone’s time talking about Penn state. That being said, who do you want to lose most this Friday (I think), PSU or Iowa? I’m torn, because I always hate Iowa but I would like to see PSU knocked down a peg, but I don’t want Iowa to gain any traction before our bout. The thought of PSU setting records this NCAA championship makes my stomach turn and Iowa winning any bouts makes me ill. What’s your alls thoughts this coming weekend?
You never wish injury or hardship, for that matter....but, yeah, Go Pokes!

Reactions: bwel9339
How bout 20 sprained ankles? No 40, I want every wrestler to sprain both ankles. No change that, I want 46 sprained ankles, I want both Brands & Cael to sprain theirs too.

PSU blows them out of course. If I had to choose, I'd want PSU to lose. The smugness and arrogance that comes from their fans pisses me off. Iowa is a bunch of loudmouths but Ive had my fill of PSU. I also think we'd fair better against them than Iowa. We'd be favored most likely at 3 weights and in my mind 25 and 49 are tossups and I also like Teagues chances at 57. Call me crazy.

I'm also all in on every iowa and psu wrestler stubbing the living hell out of their big toes thursday morning in March.

Reactions: AtownPoke
It doesn’t matter who we want to win or lose Penn State winning and if Iowa has the performance that they did at Michigan and lose all the close ones 25, 33,41, 4957 they will get shut out

It doesn’t matter who we want to win or lose Penn State winning and if Iowa has the performance that they did at Michigan and lose all the close ones 25, 33,41, 4957 they will get shut out
And also since we don’t wrestle and steak this year, it wouldn’t bother me if Penn State hurt for five of their guys lol lol

I’ve watched the last few televised PSU duals (Michigan and Ohio St) with my boys and that damn Mesenbrink is a problem. Not only is an absolute freak that I think may shock the world come NCAAs but now my oldest (6y/o) is announcing himself as Mitchell Mesenbrink as he destroys his little brother. I’m not digging it

I’ve watched the last few televised PSU duals (Michigan and Ohio St) with my boys and that damn Mesenbrink is a problem. Not only is an absolute freak that I think may shock the world come NCAAs but now my oldest (6y/o) is announcing himself as Mitchell Mesenbrink as he destroys his little brother. I’m not digging it
Sound like there needs to be an intervention 🤣

There was lol
The boys wrestled this year and they had quite a bit of success so they’re obsessed. They’ve watched every away dual and been to every home dual so they know all the wrestlers now.

The 4y/o is loyal and true. He always picks Troy or Daton. The 6y/o is usually Plott or Jersey but he forgot who pays the bills for a second and had to be reminded. All good now.

PSU blows them out of course. If I had to choose, I'd want PSU to lose. The smugness and arrogance that comes from their fans pisses me off. Iowa is a bunch of loudmouths but Ive had my fill of PSU. I also think we'd fair better against them than Iowa. We'd be favored most likely at 3 weights and in my mind 25 and 49 are tossups and I also like Teagues chances at 57. Call me crazy.
I’m done with PSU but I’m not sure about fairing better against them. I think we will beat Iowa, I can’t say the same about PSU. Maybe we match up better against them than other teams (I haven’t done the math) but it would ‘78 US hockey team against the professional soviets difficult. So, I’m saying there is a chance, even if one in a million.

I’m done with PSU but I’m not sure about fairing better against them. I think we will beat Iowa, I can’t say the same about PSU. Maybe we match up better against them than other teams (I haven’t done the math) but it would ‘78 US hockey team against the professional soviets difficult. So, I’m saying there is a chance, even if one in a million.
Oh I don’t think we beat them. I just think we do a little better than Iowa lol.

Reactions: bwel9339
I'd put the over/under on Iowa points scored at 5.5. What do you take?
in all seriousness, that means Iowa has to win at least 2 matches. 🤔. I’m going to have to say over. Most likely PSU will throw at least one backup in there and there are a couple of weights where PSU could pull off a win, 125 lbs, 141, 157, imo. The question is, if Iowa shows up could this give them confidence going into our match?

Last edited:
I'd put the over/under on Iowa points scored at 5.5. What do you take?
Under.

There are likely no more than 3 toss up matches
(125, 141, 157).

The Hawks at 141 & 157 are great, would you pick them over the PSU guys that are…greater?

You could see Ayala potentially beating Davis.

Iowa is going to be embarrassed at Carver they don't match up well at all, PSU would do the same to us also unfortunately. Even if we finish as the #2 dual team there is a GIANT gap between us, I think the biggest difference is our guys win tough close matches and their guys are bonus point machines.

Reactions: JAY45 and tom_v31
Best case scenario for Iowa right here.

125: Ayala vs Davis Dec for Ayala 3-0
133: Schriever vs Nagao Dec for Nagao 3-3
141: Woods vs Bartlett Dec for Woods 6-3
149: Rathjen vs Kasak Dec for Kasak 6-6
157: Franek vs Haines Dec for Franek 9-6
165: Caliendo vs Mesenbrink Dec for Caliendo 12-6
174: Kennedy vs Starocci Dec for Starocci 12-9
184: Arnold vs Truax Dec for Arnold 15-9
197: Glazier vs Brooks Maj for Brooks 15-13
HWT: Hill vs Kerkvliet Tech for Kerkvliet 15-18

Best case scenario for Iowa right here.

125: Ayala vs Davis Dec for Ayala 3-0
133: Schriever vs Nagao Dec for Nagao 3-3
141: Woods vs Bartlett Dec for Woods 6-3
149: Rathjen vs Kasak Dec for Kasak 6-6
157: Franek vs Haines Dec for Franek 9-6
165: Caliendo vs Mesenbrink Dec for Caliendo 12-6
174: Kennedy vs Starocci Dec for Starocci 12-9
184: Arnold vs Truax Dec for Arnold 15-9
197: Glazier vs Brooks Maj for Brooks 15-13
HWT: Hill vs Kerkvliet Tech for Kerkvliet 15-18
That sounds like my predictions the last couple of years with OSU. I think, 2 years ago, I said OSU, could be a title contender. They finished 14th.

Iowa is going to be embarrassed at Carver they don't match up well at all, PSU would do the same to us also unfortunately. Even if we finish as the #2 dual team there is a GIANT gap between us, I think the biggest difference is our guys win tough close matches and their guys are bonus point machines.
That’s OK. It’s step 2 in the process.

1. Get back to winning the Big 12
2. Get in position between Penn State and everyone else
3. Attack Penn State

in all seriousness, that means Iowa has to win at least 2 matches. 🤔. I’m going to have to say over. Most likely PSU will throw at least one backup in there and there are a couple of weights where PSU could pull off a win, 125 lbs, 141, 157, imo. The question is, if Iowa shows up could this give them confidence going into our match?
Don't forget the Brands 1 pt bench deduction. ;)

Okay, here's the thing. You guys have a great program, and a great history, but as long as Cael is around, you're third beat, so you might as well learn to live with it.

Okay, here's the thing. You guys have a great program, and a great history, but as long as Cael is around, you're third beat, so you might as well learn to live with it.
Stay Classy Will Ferrell GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT