ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Biden endorses "Burn it down", taking down statues, revising history, rioting, all that..

No we collectively as a society has chosen to allocate resources in a way that leaves some in poverty
We've chosen to leave white people in poverty? I get the slavery and systemic racism angle, but if those don't exist for white folks, what's the cause? Is there some sort of selection process where certain whites are chosen for poverty?

Communism sure has had its fair share of extreme poverty. Is that because they allocated resources in a way that leaves some in poverty too?

Reactions: iasooner1
We've chosen to leave white people in poverty? I get the slavery and systemic racism angle, but if those don't exist for white folks, what's the cause? Is there some sort of selection process where certain whites are chosen for poverty?

Communism sure has had its fair share of extreme poverty. Is that because they allocated resources in a way that leaves some in poverty too?
One thing we do that ensures poverty is control inflation via a standing reserve of unemployed people.

We could also transfer enough money to everyone to put them above the poverty line and still have plenty left over to reward work and achievement.

Reactions: davidallen
One thing we do that ensures poverty is control inflation via a standing reserve of unemployed people.

We could also transfer enough money to everyone to put them above the poverty line and still have plenty left over to reward work and achievement.
You're dodging the question.

Can you repeat the question

There is a body of work describing systemic/institutional racism that I have no desire to repeat for Medic. He knows this. As an assist to you I will provide a definition that I think is accurate - it is largely the work of others, I make no claim of original authorship of these ideas but as I have asserted believe they accurately describe a present condition in American society:

Systemic racism is the bias against particular peoples originating less from any one individual and more from the policies and practices of a society. These policies are not individualized, rather they are the standards of those who operate in the society. There is much less scrutiny or recognition of the bias that result from systemic racism given the tradition or history of these practices. Obvious examples include "whites only bathrooms" or segregated schools. Not all systemic racism is so obvious though - subtle examples derive from upstream causes such as under representation in decision making or political forums. It is much easier for a private company or corporation to skirt environmental laws when the local town doesn't have economic or political resources to expose bad practices. The result is higher death rates due to cancer in those communities. Those communities are disproportionately black say in Warren County, NC.

That is my definition and one example of systemic racism. Feel free to tell me the Dims did it, or the problem isn't solvable by government or that communities of color have to figure it out, or whatever comes to mind. Just don't deny that such conditions exist. That would just be foolish.

I sincerely appreciate those who believe/hope that in time all things will equal out. Data suggests the opposite is true, that in fact the generational effect increases advantage and disadvantage in equal measure. Look at the previously cited wealth gap, look at COVID health outcomes, and many other examples. This is not an easy problem. It is not a problem that solves itself.

This is the davidallen I wish we would see more often! Thank you for such a thoughtful reply. Now we could actually have a conversation rather than a one-upmanship contest.

I understand what you are trying to say with your definition, and I think it is appropriately applied to your first two examples: segregated bathrooms and schools. I grew up under such a system, and if I may be so bold I would say my generation did more than most to bring it to a halt. It was hideously evil and deserved to die long before it did.

I disagree with you in your remaining examples. I think by applying the moniker “racism” to them you dilute the monstrous evil that racism is. For me at least, what you are describing is more closely attuned to prejudice. Which is bad enough, don’t get me wrong, but none of those things take place purely to harm black people.
I would contend a racist policy must be advanced for no other reason than a desire to bring harm to a person simply because of his race.

It may sound like I’m trying to be too clever, but I’m not. I grew up watching America at some of its racist “finest,” and what you are calling racism does not fit the criteria. Racism in America is a mere shell of what it used to be. Americans of all races have put in the hard work the last 50+ years to toss it in the dustbin of history. And for that reason I think our country should be celebrated, not castigated.

There remains racial prejudice, and that may never be wiped out. Prejudice, IMO, is more a cultural characteristic that encompasses all races. And because it’s cultural there can be only a cultural “cure.” There is no political policy that will overcome prejudice.

At any rate I appreciate that you took the time to reply in such a courteous and thoughtful manner.

Last edited:
You obviously have different goals here. You expect equal outcomes. That's totally unrealistic. As such, all of your solutions are as well.
Do you think in a system without bias the distribution of outcomes would be fairly normal across trivial attributes such as height, hair color, skin color, etc?

HUD.

Straight from the HUD site.. Public housing serves black households at a rate substantially greater than their share of the renter population. Forty-eight percent of public housing households are black compared to only 19 percent of all renter households.6 Taking income into account does not alter this conclusion, since only 30 percent of households with incomes low enough to qualify for public housing are black.
I think you might have confused cause with effect.

With zero to back it up besides the usual talking points butied in a past that no longer exists. See below...

It's not a secret, dave. You share the same superficial talking points that the left hands out. You probably think government affirmative action was a great policy done by the great liberals of the civil rights era and that it has worked well.

Carry on.
So you still won't affirm or deny systemic racism is a thing? Duck, weave, and dance...

Bill Maher gives some advice to our liberal friends. WARNING: LANGUAGE

This is the davidallen I wish we would see more often! Thank you for such a thoughtful reply. Now we could actually have a conversation rather than a one-upmanship contest.

I understand what you are trying to say with your definition, and I think it is appropriately applied to your first two examples: segregated bathrooms and schools. I grew up under such a system, and if I may be so bold I would say my generation did more than most to bring it to a halt. It was hideously evil and deserved to die long before it did.

I disagree with you in your remaining examples. I think by applying the moniker “racism” to them you dilute the monstrous evil that racism is. For me at least, what you are describing is more closely attuned to prejudice. Which is bad enough, don’t get me wrong, but none of those things take place purely to harm black people.
I would contend a racist policy must be advanced for no other reason than a desire to bring harm to a person simply because of his race.

It may sound like I’m trying to be too clever, but I’m not. I grew up watching America at some of its racist “finest,” and what you are calling racism does not fit the criteria. Racism in America is a mere shell of what it used to be. Americans of all races have put in the hard work the last 50+ years to toss it in the dustbin of history. And for that reason I think our country should be celebrated, not castigated.

There remains racial prejudice, and that may never be wiped out. Prejudice, IMO, is more a cultural characteristic that encompasses all races. And because it’s cultural there can be only a cultural “cure.” There is no political policy that will overcome prejudice.

At any rate I appreciate that you took the time to reply in such a courteous and thoughtful manner.
Change the terminology if it makes it easier, though I would suggest that trivializing the circumstance that millions of Americans find themselves in won't be helpful.

Change the terminology if it makes it easier, though I would suggest that trivializing the circumstance that millions of Americans find themselves in won't be helpful.
Explicit words have explicit meaning. An attempt to make any racial disparity an example of racism is harmful, not helpful.

It's been quite the day. Virtual Memorial for someone I had gotten to know over past 5 years. He literally worked himself to death chasing his dream. Sobering.
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope he died doing something he loved.

David, by sheer circumstance I happened on this very long esssy on the topic of systemic racism by the sociologist Jaques Delacroix. I found it fascinating and agree with almost all of it. If you’re interested give it a read. As an aside one of the most excellent notions he had is saying as far as he can tell what people mean by systemic racism is “racism without racists.” I thought it perfectly exemplified what you were saying in your definition.

https://notesonliberty.com/longform-essays/systemic-racism-a-rationalist-take/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT