149: G dec Courtland Schuyler

157: Josh Humphreys dec Wyatt Sheets

165: Shomers dec Gordon Wolf

174: Jordan Kutler dec JoJo

184: Jacobe dec Ryan Preisch

197: Geer dec Chris Weiler

HWT: White dec Jordan Wood

OSU 28 Lehigh 6

Had OU shutout tonight but used their backup and heavyweight and loss 5-4. #6 Kutler did not look good won 4-2.

Had OU shutout tonight but used their backup and heavyweight and loss 5-4. #6 Kutler did not look good won 4-2.

I fear for the OU program, this is Roselli's third year at the helm and the Sooner's looked absolutely terrible last night. Twice now they have hired what was known as the top coaching prospects that were available at the time and neither have been able to resurrect excitement back into the program the way that Dresser has at Iowa St. What can they do? Hire still yet another "can't miss" coach? Or do they just kill the program? The OU president was sitting matside last night and was watching intently. He did not look happy at all.

I've changed my mind about OU. I wanted them to be "good, but not great". But someone else posted this once before - I think for us to compete with the PSUs and tOSUs, it would be better if OU was terrible.

We have to get every top 10 PFP Oklahoma guy - the Datons, Plotts, and Blankenships. And we also need to get the other top 40 guys - the Boos, Doucets, and Picklos.

I think Oklahoma youth wrestling will continue to thrive even if OU doesn't.

Last edited:
Ou being good or bad has zero to do with youth wrestling in Oklahoma. Having strong Youth Programs with highly skilled coaches is what will drive Oklahoma youth Wrestling.

I've changed my mind about OU. I wanted them to be "good, but not great". But someone else posted this once before - I think for us to compete with the PSUs and tOSUs, it would be better if OU was terrible.

We have to get every top 10 PFP Oklahoma guy - the Datons, Plotts, and Blankenships. And we also need to get the other top 40 guys - the Boos, Doucets, and Picklos.

I think Oklahoma youth wrestling will continue to thrive even if OU doesn't.

Lou said early on that he couldn’t win with Oklahoma kids. I don’t think we have much of an issue getting the ones we want.

We need ou to be better. We need ALL universities that wrestle to be better. The sport is seeing an uptick and we need to foster that growth.

I don’t know what’s going on with ou, but kids are not progressing. Moody seems to be going backwards. Demas isn’t raising his level. Jeffries is nothing like the wrestler I expected to see, after years in the program. Mantanona looked like a star in the pan am games, but now he looks pedestrian.

I hate to say it, because continuity is important, but I think it’s time for a coaching change.

We need them good.

We don't need talented kids leaving the state and generating fan buzz for other schools. We don't pedestrian type following for the sport. We don't need the interest in Wrestling in the state of Oklahoma fledgling. By "we" I mean Wrestling I our state.

We need the good in-state kids staying in state! We need Bedlam duals with 10k in attendance. We need youth Wrestlers that follow their HS heroes to admire from within our borders...their families too.

These kids grew up in gyms around the state and should culminate in close proximity. Even a shared RTC wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Lou said early on that he couldn’t win with Oklahoma kids. I don’t think we have much of an issue getting the ones we want.

We need ou to be better. We need ALL universities that wrestle to be better. The sport is seeing an uptick and we need to foster that growth.

I don’t know what’s going on with ou, but kids are not progressing. Moody seems to be going backwards. Demas isn’t raising his level. Jeffries is nothing like the wrestler I expected to see, after years in the program. Mantanona looked like a star in the pan am games, but now he looks pedestrian.

I hate to say it, because continuity is important, but I think it’s time for a coaching change.

Those are good points and I can see that take on things.

IMO, what's changed from days past is the RTC. The OKRTC has $ (they just got Frank Molinaro) and could make a difference. This is just a hypothetical, but it illustrates my concern - we all know how important AJ Ferrari is to our future title hopes. And we know training partners will be a factor in his recruitment. Derek White would be a terrific workout partner for him as either a post grad athlete or as the volunteer coach. What happens if the OKRTC swoops in and grabs Derek like they did Heil/Collica/Schafer?

Those are good points and I can see that take on things.

IMO, what's changed from days past is the RTC. The OKRTC has $ (they just got Frank Molinaro) and could make a difference. This is just a hypothetical, but it illustrates my concern - we all know how important AJ Ferrari is to our future title hopes. And we know training partners will be a factor in his recruitment. Derek White would be a terrific workout partner for him as either a post grad athlete or as the volunteer coach. What happens if the OKRTC swoops in and grabs Derek like they did Heil/Collica/Schafer?

The ou rtc will die a quick painful death, if the program does not improve. I do not see the funding as sustainable, if the program it supports isn’t developing kids that can roll into it.

FYI - a source I won’t name tells me John has made some trips to money people (very recently). I also hear the interactions between Holder and John are increasing.

The ou rtc will die a quick painful death, if the program does not improve. I do not see the funding as sustainable, if the program it supports isn’t developing kids that can roll into it.

FYI - a source I won’t name tells me John has made some trips to money people (very recently). I also hear the interactions between Holder and John are increasing.

But if OU wrestling does do well then the OKRTC won't die, right? That's really the concern IMO.

I do like your 2nd paragraph. Very much!

Money for wrestling is Holders top priority right now and he is focused on making it happen.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Money for wrestling is Holders top priority right now and he is focused on making it happen.

Yes.

People would be surprised how many successful people our wrestling program has produced. I bet they can get really close, not moving far from the “family”

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Yes.

People would be surprised how many successful people our wrestling program has produced. I bet they can get really close, not moving far from the “family”

What John's role in this is making sure he is communicating a clear vision of what is needed and the timeline for that. A new wrestling specific facility is needed and would be great but instant support and money for the RTC is a much more immediate need and can be accomplished outside and ahead of the facility efforts.

Just watched Jensen from Nebraska bet Sam Still 3-0 off of four minute riding time and two stalling points. Rode the heck out of him with a turk.

Though we might see Rogers, did he weigh in & come out for introductions?

Ugh! Hate hands to the face!!
Joe needs to commit on his shots, he has great movement and many openings.

Reactions: osu2082
Rodgers needs to get back and Jacobe is just to small for the top guys

Rogers and Weigel were both doing sprints behind the bleachers. Jacobe just beat the number 6 ranked guy on Friday. My guess is John has been working them hard this weekend. Barring any injuries I have a feeling we will be ready and peaking in March.

I think Jacobe looks fine size wise and he would not be beating any of the guys Joe lost to. If Joe gets back to Scuffle form or better he can beat those guys.

I feel Jacobe offers more points at his natural weight come tourney time !

Reactions: Cowguy
I feel Jacobe offers more points at his natural weight come tourney time !
How can he wrestle his natural weight as IMO he can not defeat either Joe or Chandler. I'm not saying the referee made the wrong call in Joe's match and they are making a point to call hands to the face this year but take that one inadvertant point away and Joe controlled the match. Kutler made no moves towards a takedown and Joe can beat him in a rematch. I thought the officiating stunk in several matches including and in particular the 197 match where two stalling calls were made against the Lehigh wrestler and we did not get a penalty point. At 125 I believe it is the first time this year that Pic has not had back points. The Lehigh wrestler stalled a lot and in the down position I thought his elbows would come out of socket as he knew not to get them close to his body. Kudos to Wyatt Sheets. He wrestled with great intensity and just would not give up on the takedown in OT. He beat a very good wrestler in Josh Humphreys. Jordan Wood was one of 5-6 wrestlers from Lehigh that did not make an offensive move. Ryan Preisch is very good and much, much bigger than Jacobe and probably stronger with better wrestling skills. I am certain John is working them over-time in practice and it is showing. For about the 5th match in a row Daton looked just a little better than average-some had to do with the stalling by the opponent but he needs to work harder on his feet to create offensive takedowns. My pick for most valuable wrestler in this match is Wyatt Sheets hands down.
LETS GO POKES!!!

Joe has semifinalist potential at 174. Jacobe does not.

I’m not going to argue this, because it’s a hard thing to really know for sure, but I think Joe would struggle to score on Cobe for the same reasons he struggled to score on Kutler. Joe doesn’t look (to me) to be strong enough to get through the defense of the top guys.

Honestly, is this a low point in the history of the program? A couple weeks back I said Rosselli needed at least one more year. That might be stretching it.

Rogers and Weigel were both doing sprints behind the bleachers. Jacobe just beat the number 6 ranked guy on Friday. My guess is John has been working them hard this weekend. Barring any injuries I have a feeling we will be ready and peaking in March.

Did both Rogers and Weigel weigh in?

I agree. If Preston can come back right, I’d like to see geer at 84 and let joe and cobe rank for 74.
So leave an AA at home and forget the team goal just for the sake of one individual? PSU has 6 guys who can be NCAA champs this year, they are very likely to win 4 wt classes. The only way to beat them is to knock at least one of those guys out and win that weight. Joe is the only guy that can do that against any of their big 4 at 174 and he showed he is capable at Scuffle. 184 is a slightly weaker weight this year with Nickal moving to 197. Even if PSU only has 3 champs, OSU will still need 3 of their own plus AAs at 5 or 6 of the other weights just to make up for the PSU bonus points. The lineup we are seeing if Roger's & Weigel back is now imo the only chance at that and a slim chance.

Last edited:
Did both Rogers and Weigel weigh in?
Friday night, Rogers weighed in and was announced as a possible at 165. Don't know if Weigel weighed in but he was not introduced on Friday. Couldn't attend yesterday but was told Chandler was about a week to 10 days away from John letting him wrestle. I would guess maybe this week to help with Big 12 seeding if he looks good in practice.

Last edited:
So leave an AA at home and forget the team goal just for the sake of one individual? PSU has 6 guys who can be NCAA champs this year, they are very likely to win 4 wt classes. The only way to beat them is to knock at least one of those guys out and win that weight. Joe is the only guy that can do that against any of their big 4 at 174 and he showed he is capable at Scuffle. 184 is a slightly weaker weight this year with Nickal moving to 197. Even if PSU only has 3 champs, OSU will still need 3 of their own plus AAs at 6 or 7 of the other weights just to make up for the PSU bonus points. The lineup we are seeing if Roger's & Weigel back is now imo the only chance at that and a slim chance.

You’re leaving one guy at home regardless. I don’t understand your point

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT