ADVERTISEMENT

It is time to take a stand for Education

$70k a yr for Dept head ... Come west young man.
Definitely! If he can get $70K in Portland Oregon that is equivalent to $42K in Oklahoma which is a good $5-$7K increase from where he is at in Oklahoma.

Ofcourse the average salary in Portland Oregon is $59,300 which is only $35,187 which is probably close to where he is at now :(

I'd advised anyone to go it if they're looking for that $5k-$7k equivalent raise

Reactions: poke2001
I think teachers need a pay raise, but I think that raise comes with a mandate that we achieve a higher level of learning in Oklahoma. In 2016 only about a third of students from grades 4-8 tested in reading, math and science at above a "proficient" level.
So a full one third of all students were above proficient? So they were advanced? Is that what you are saying. If so, I think 1/3 of all students scoring advanced is a number to praise, not demean.

First off, the number of teachers in Oklahoma has grown over the last 5 years. So part of this demand isn't a case of the inability to 'backfill' previously filled teacher positions but the ability to keep up with GROWTH. That is an entirely different situation.

You don't understand "emergency certifications" if you think it equates to 'teacher shortages'. Read link below more more info.

http://www.ocpathink.org/post/demystifying-emergency-certification

If those two don't equate, then should the growth rate in population be similar to the growth rate in emergency certifications?

If those two don't equate, then should the growth rate in population be similar to the growth rate in emergency certifications?
No. It shouldn't equate to anything. It is an approved program and is simply a medium used to hire new teachers.

Like I mentioned and as stated in the article. There is absolutely nothing wrong or bad about hiring teachers using this route and it doesn't indicate shortage. A shortage would be if there are 1,200 unfilled teacher positions not 1,200 filled.

So a full one third of all students were above proficient? So they were advanced? Is that what you are saying. If so, I think 1/3 of all students scoring advanced is a number to praise, not demean.
At the 8th grade level 23 percent were at or above proficient. This is behind the national average of 32%. That means that 67% of our students are not at a proficient level. Only 3% of students were at an advanced level.

No. It shouldn't equate to anything. It is an approved program and is simply a medium used to hire new teachers.

Like I mentioned and as stated in the article. There is absolutely nothing wrong or bad about hiring teachers using this route and it doesn't indicate shortage. A shortage would be if there are 1,200 unfilled teacher positions not 1,200 filled.

Why such a jump in emergency certifications over the last handful of years, then? Just the development of the program?

My administrators have told me there's a huge drop off in applicants compared to what they experienced 5-10 years ago especially in science and math. Last year my school was forced to apply for a waiver that allowed a full-time classroom teacher (straight out of college) teach in a single-teacher classroom unpaid for one semester and let the fall semester count as her student teaching (which is a mandatory part of a 4 year education degree) because they had so few applicants to fill a science position.

At the 8th grade level 23 percent were at or above proficient. This is behind the national average of 32%. That means that 67% of our students are not at a proficient level. Only 3% of students were at an advanced level.
You said they tested above proficient. Not proficient or above. Just clarifying your stat.

Why such a jump in emergency certifications over the last handful of years, then? Just the development of the program?

My administrators have told me there's a huge drop off in applicants compared to what they experienced 5-10 years ago especially in science and math. Last year my school was forced to apply for a waiver that allowed a full-time classroom teacher (straight out of college) teach in a single-teacher classroom unpaid for one semester and let the fall semester count as her student teaching (which is a mandatory part of a 4 year education degree) because they had so few applicants to fill a science position.
Look no further than growth rate of student bodies driven primarily by influx of illegal and legal immigrants to Oklahoma while in state academic instruction of teachers has remained relatively steady (not reactive to the increase in students).

Also there has been an increase in Texas students coming to universities in Oklahoma for cheaper tuition. So these universities are filling their secondary education programs with students who have no intention of teaching in Oklahoma.

So we know that in 1990 we were 48th in teacher pay.
* We know we haven’t moved the needle in the teacher pay market over the last 30 years.
* You stated we are below average with testing results.

Myriad of reasons why, but perhaps one is that we don’t pay enough to attract and retain the best teachers?

So we know that in 1990 we were 48th in teacher pay.
* We know we haven’t moved the needle in the teacher pay market over the last 30 years.
* You stated we are below average with testing results.

Myriad of reasons why, but perhaps one is that we don’t pay enough to attract and retain the best teachers?
Do you think a $5K/year pay raise results in a 5% rise in student testing results?

Do you think a $5K/year pay raise results in a 5% rise in student testing results?
Nope.

But I don’t think tying a raise to test scores is just either.

A teacher can only control so much. Several external to school factors weigh heavily on student performance: 1) two-parent household. 2) parental involvement. 3) student’s household income

I am heavily in favor of merit-based pay. I think it is definitely needed in our school system. But don’t agree that test scores should be a significant factor in the awarding of that pay.

Nope.

A teacher can only control so much. Several external to school factors weigh heavily on student performance: 1) two-parent household. 2) parental involvement. 3) student’s household income

I am heavily in favor of merit-based pay. I think it is definitely needed in our school system. But don’t agree that test scores should be a significant factor in the awarding of that pay.

Curious.

What would your measurable key performance factors determine merit based pay for teachers look like?

Nope.

Then how do you evaluate the teacher's merit?

Then how do you evaluate the teacher's merit?
Could be lots of factors. 1) principal evaluation (how your supervisor grades you is how most private enterprise employees receive merit. This I would weigh the most and could easily be the only)
2) peer review. 3) school involvement. 4) curriculum planning. 5) boundary partner involvement. 6) parent communication. and 6) student performance

I can tell you on my job that how our company performs is weighted in my merit as well as bonus. But even if our stock price goes down during the year, I still can receive good and or even superior performance review.

Wait, wait, wait... I always hear this "breakdown of the family unit" stuff. How does mommy and daddy being worthless keep the teachers from teaching a child the 2+2=4?

Teachers are not able to maintain discipline in a class of 30 12 year olds? And they want a raise!?!?
When the parents and children know that no matter what they do to disrupt the class that there is nothing that can be done to them? Yes, it can be difficult to maintain discipline.

I dare you to ask my wife that question.

Wait, wait, wait... I always hear this "breakdown of the family unit" stuff. How does mommy and daddy being worthless keep the teachers from teaching a child the 2+2=4?
This is a pretty dumb statement.

I sit with my kids every night while they do homework. They are smart enough to do it without my help but I’m there if they need me. My wife and I read with them from an early age...not many parents do this anymore and it shows.

Teachers aren’t there to provide the entire education. It requires parents to support it at home. Without that teachers will certainly fail.

Reactions: windriverrange
UPDATE:

The situation has changed dramatically in just the last 24 hours. The decision to walk out was an organic movement through Facebook that had almost unanimous agreement among teachers, despite what a couple of wife beaters on this board may tell you.

The OEA jumped in Yesterday and endorsed the effort but changed the date back a couple of weeks. I can tell you at our schools teachers were mad as hell and let them know. April 2nd is now a go again after a barrag.

Here is the announcement:

When the parents and children know that no matter what they do to disrupt the class that there is nothing that can be done to them? Yes, it can be difficult to maintain discipline.

I dare you to ask my wife that question.
Hey I understand what you are saying and the teachers' hands are tied when it comes to disciplining children in school. But what I am hearing in this thread are things like district consolidation, administrative overhead, bad core curriculum, teachers unable to discipline problem kids, etc, etc. These things are not going to be impacted in the slightest by a teacher raise. You are paying teachers more in the same old antiquated, broken, flawed system.

This is a pretty dumb statement.

I sit with my kids every night while they do homework. They are smart enough to do it without my help but I’m there if they need me. My wife and I read with them from an early age...not many parents do this anymore and it shows.

Teachers aren’t there to provide the entire education. It requires parents to support it at home. Without that teachers will certainly fail.
I have worked with many kids in my life in different organizations from toddlers to high schoolers. A lot of them very underpriveledged and a lot with absolutely the most worthless parents. Some of them with very bad behaviors and a history of mistakes. Very few of them would not respond to being treated with respect, having expectations clearly set, rules defined, and being removed from activities when they did not live up to expectations and follow rules. If you are waiting on bad parents to become good parents before teaching kids to the proficient levels in reading, writing, math, and science then you will NEVER achieve your goals with the education of our children.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
I'm not in Oklahoma and can't speak to the StepUp bill, but I'd make the casual observation that if both Dems and Reps rejected it (which seems to be the case) then it obviously didn't have ENOUGH bi-partisan support.[/QUO

The VAST majority of both parties voted for it. Due to the dumb decision of the radical right in this state in 1992 to make tax increases require a 75% majority it failed. SO your casual observation is like most causal observations: uninformed.

despite what a couple of wife beaters on this board may tell you.

ron-burgundy-google-alerts.gif

OK, hold on @brtinla . I talk to my state senator and state representatives quite often. The fringe of the republicans AND democrats in the house of representatives both had a part in the last revenue bill not passing. BOTH fringes are also holding up a compromise revenue bill right now.

EDIT:p.s. I also logged on and actually listened to the debate of the last revenue bill on the house floor. Did you? I am going to assume by your comments that you did not. Maybe you are the one that needs to be better informed.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT