ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

I’m getting more excited about the upcoming years with our current young guys doing well. That may speed up our chances a year.

Reactions: BrettOSU17
I don't know where FRL gets their info but b4 the match they said they talked to Brands and according to them he (Abe) was going to go. He might have got injured from the time they reported it to today, idk? Regardless, I would have liked to see how Montalvo matched up with him since he is ranked higher.

Pic showed he can score on Lee. Questionable back points. Even though he was beaten soundly he shows he has a chance against Lee.

Little Wit...all of his bad with none of the good.

Hone...did nothing.

Boo....thrown to his back off shoulder throw/whip. Thought he may have hurt it again for a second.

Sheets...wow. He looks really improved.

Wittlake....looked good. A bit tentative on O but did show some flashes. He’s going to be very good.

Joe....phoned in an effort to avoid pin or backpoints.

Montalvo looks real good over Brands. Easy win. Brands even uglier than expected.
Pic is not in Lee's league if Lee is wrestling good. Witcraft could not have got beat worse than he did. Overwhelmed, slow and clueless in this match, Hone can't be our answer at 41 next year he was dominated from neutral position. I can not believe Boo allowed Lugo to get double unders and he paid the price. Why Boo did not shoot many takedowns is something I have seen a bunch of in the 1st period. Way to go Wyatt Sheets was tough and battled. He did not wrestle scared like many of our lighter weights did. Wittlake is as strong as the Bull, had heavy hands and quick reactions for the 1st 2 periods. As I have said all year he needs to be more aggressive on his feet. Very tough opponent but never came close to scoring a takedown and tried maybe 2 ankle pick and only touched the Bull's ankle once and bailed quickly. Yes he has improved but he needs better offense. Joe got beat by a better, better conditioned and more motivated wrestler (again not even close to a takedown). Montalvo wrestled smart and used his size and strength well. Still can not shoot a takedown. Geer got beat by a bigger and better wrestler. He does seem to be regressing and seems clumsy. I left the restaurant before the HWT match. I don't suspect it went our way.

Last edited:
Wyatt Sheets is the big winner of the dual for OSU. Wittake surprised me...kid has a chance to AA. We really have 3 candidates to AA at 125, 149, and 165 respectively. Picc against Lee last year was an outlier. Lee has won fairly comfortably in 4 out of the 5 matches.

Should AA at 25 and 49 with outside shots at 65 and 84.

Should AA at 25 and 49 with outside shots at 65 and 84.
I said candidates...doesn't mean locks. In the NCAA you never know what could happens. If i were going with locks, I'd probably say 125 and 149, with 165 outside looking in. I don't give Montalvo much of a shot. Doesn't have enough offense and he's likely ends up with a record of 1-2 or 2-2 in the NCAA's

Reactions: skylinepoke
Wittlake is going to be a foundational piece moving forward.

It seems like Geer might be too small for 197.

Makes you wonder if Taco can cut to 174 for next year so you can go:

165: Wittlake
174: Taco or Plott
184: Geer
197: Ferrari

And the transfer at heavyweight

197: Ferrari[/QUOTEAnd

Reactions: JAY45
I said candidates...doesn't mean locks. In the NCAA you never know what could happens. If i were going with locks, I'd probably say 125 and 149, with 165 outside looking in. I don't give Montalvo much of a shot. Doesn't have enough offense and he's likely ends up with a record of 1-2 or 2-2 in the NCAA's

I was just discussing...not calling you out. Montalvo wouldn't surprise me either way.

We’re not redshirting freshmen? Might not be able to at 125. Would be perfect if Fix would go 125 and Kaid comes back strong at 133. G doesn’t pull a Joe and goes at 141. Would help a lot if Taco could drop. Pretty salty and all the frosh can red shirt. Little Wit gets a year to develop.

Just don’t know if Taco can make that cut. He hasn’t wrestled down near that weight since he was about 15 years old.

He also is starting to look like a multi-year AA at that weight so you might not want to mess with someone who appears to be a “skys the limit” type kid.

Geer needs to work on growing into a 197 All offseason IMO and allow AJ to redshirt.

I am not down at all and with the exception of Boo getting pinned no upsets for Iowa. I have been saying all year that Wyatt is much better this year and showed real skill and heart. At the first of the year I would have said that pic and Boo might be the only AA's. Now I can say that Witlake and Montalvo are in the AA picture. Iowa is strong at every weight. If Assad had wrestled it would have been close but Montalvo still might have won. What ever is wrong with Joe is really past discussion point. He will not be a factor and I feel that Shomers has a better chance of qualifying than Joe. I am not saying this in a vindictive way but as Roger said on the radio "it is what it is" with Joe and not worth beating a dead horse about. Joe could not beat Kemmerer when he was a much better wrestler and an AA. Dakota is just at the wrong weight but should qualify and win a match or two. Tonight was not as big an embarrassment as it could have been so need for hand wringing and woe is me. Iowa is by far the best team in the country but I see us as being able to crack the top ten this year.
LETS GO POKES!!!

We’re not redshirting freshmen? Might not be able to at 125. Would be perfect if Fix would go 125 and Kaid comes back strong at 133. G doesn’t pull a Joe and goes at 141. Would help a lot if Taco could drop. Pretty salty and all the frosh can red shirt. Little Wit gets a year to develop.
I have no idea...I’m asking as well...

Just don’t know if Taco can make that cut. He hasn’t wrestled down near that weight since he was about 15 years old.

He also is starting to look like a multi-year AA at that weight so you might not want to mess with someone who appears to be a “skys the limit” type kid.

Geer needs to work on growing into a 197 All offseason IMO and allow AJ to redshirt.
Taco was mentioned at 184/197 to start the year.I doubt you see him at 174 with the year he's had at 184.Just continue to develop at 184

Sheets has heart and a gas tank. He is improving at a rate that should do him better than he is ranked in B12 and National tournament. Montalvo wrestled well but looked disappointed he didn't get Abe Asad. I think Iowa knew it was a possible loss there so they put little Brands in instead to take the loss and Assad would lose ranking. Wittlake looked good vs Marinelli, confident and good positioning. Just a little gassed at the end, both were tired just Wittlake a little more tired. Boo loss was surprising. He got caught with that move. Picc had a good strategy, and tried to get Lee to the 3rd period. If that match was kept going Picc was going to get pts. Lee gets tired in the 3rd. Witcraft pin was weak. They were 2cm in bounds and Witcraft I think thought they were out of bounds but he should have kept wrestling. Encouraged by Sheets, Montalvo and Wittlake.

Overall this year has been a rebuilding year and I knew that so I'm not disappointed just eager for next year and to see how our young guys keep developing.

Agree on all points

Regarding Montalvo, in 2018 he said he could go 174 or 197, depending on what the team needed. To me the only question would be about his gas tank down a weight. If it's not impacted, he could be a huge factor at 174.

After watching the young guys last night, I agree with some others - go all in next year.

Mastro
Daton
Kaid
Boo
Sheets
Wittlake
Montalvo (Plott if necessary)
Geer (or Montalvo if necessary)
Ferrari
Purdue

I am not down at all and with the exception of Boo getting pinned no upsets for Iowa. I have been saying all year that Wyatt is much better this year and showed real skill and heart. At the first of the year I would have said that pic and Boo might be the only AA's. Now I can say that Witlake and Montalvo are in the AA picture. Iowa is strong at every weight. If Assad had wrestled it would have been close but Montalvo still might have won. What ever is wrong with Joe is really past discussion point. He will not be a factor and I feel that Shomers has a better chance of qualifying than Joe. I am not saying this in a vindictive way but as Roger said on the radio "it is what it is" with Joe and not worth beating a dead horse about. Joe could not beat Kemmerer when he was a much better wrestler and an AA. Dakota is just at the wrong weight but should qualify and win a match or two. Tonight was not as big an embarrassment as it could have been so need for hand wringing and woe is me. Iowa is by far the best team in the country but I see us as being able to crack the top ten this year.
LETS GO POKES!!!
I think that is the only way to take it.

125 - It depends on where Picc falls on the bracket. His only outside shot for a finals is a 2 or 3 seed. He’s got to be on the opposite side of Lee to have any shot at all. But he’s for sure the most likely to AA (again).

133 - Doing very well for a freshman. But he wrestles like a freshman. Don’t see him winning more than a couple of matches at the NCAAs.

141 - 1-2 at the NCAAs. May win a second match, but not counting on it.

149 - Second favorite to AA (again). May be third best option, behind Wittlake, which is good for OSU. I think last night was the exception.

157 - Wyatt is seriously improving, match by match. This is not a prediction....but he reminds me of Mark Branch’s freshman year, where he just got better and better as the year went on. He’s fun to watch.

167 - Possibly second best option to AA.

174 - Might win two matches at the NCAAs.

184 - I’ll be honest - I’m not seeing what you guys are seeing. I think Montalvo’s good, but I don’t see him as an AA. But hoping I’m wrong.

197 - He could win two matches, but might surprise and win four or five. I doubt he AAs, but to be honest, he’s the one I have the most trouble pinning down.

HWT - Might not qualify. If he does, he’s not a factor.

Regarding Montalvo, in 2018 he said he could go 174 or 197, depending on what the team needed. To me the only question would be about his gas tank down a weight. If it's not impacted, he could be a huge factor at 174.

After watching the young guys last night, I agree with some others - go all in next year.

Mastro
Daton
Kaid
Boo
Sheets
Wittlake
Montalvo (Plott if necessary)
Geer (or Montalvo if necessary)
Ferrari
Purdue
I would agree if we think this is the best way to develop our true freshmen next year. I still think 2022 is our first chance to win Nationals and so maybe developing our true freshman next year will help us win in 2022. Without a lot of injuries Iowa is just better than us next year. Lee big favorite, 133 close, 141 advantage Murin by a bunch, 149 Eirman would be a clear favorite, 157 Sheets the favorite, 165 Marinelli the favorite although close, 174 Kemmerer big favorite, 184 Assad slight favorite, 197 Ferrari could be slight favorite over Iowa, Hwt Iowa big favorite. I think we should redshirt our top freshman and prepare for 2022. Next year possible lineup Burks at 125 unless we don't think that Mastro can make 125 after next year and if that's the case lets wrestle Mastro and then he can redshirt the next year. 133 Hopefully Daton. 141 Kaid Brock or G. 149 Boo would take this position. 157 Wyatt Sheets I hope that he continues to improve. 165 Wittlake weight and if he continues to improve he could place high. 174 I might wrestle Surber here because then he can redshirt the next and like Witcraft I don't know when he will get back in the lineup or if he will. But a year starting gives him a chance to improve more than doing Opens next year. 184 Would be Montalvo I hope we can teach him to shoot a takedown. 197 Geer should wrestle and prepare the whole off season for this weight class. HWT the Purdue transfer or Doucette for the same reason Surber could wrestle next year.
2020 lineup could be Mastro Fr, Fix Jun, Witcraft Soph, Gfeller Jun, Sheets Sen, Wittlake Jun, 174 Plott Fr., 184 Montalvo Jun, 197 Ferrari Fr, Hwt Purdue transfer if he is still eligible, Doucette or Haas if he ready? 2022 Iowa loses tremendous talent after 2021. Penn.St. will have tons of young talent but will lose a superstar at 141 Nick Lee. Cornell and Ohio St. will be pretty good also

I would agree if we think this is the best way to develop our true freshmen next year. I still think 2022 is our first chance to win Nationals and so maybe developing our true freshman next year will help us win in 2022. Without a lot of injuries Iowa is just better than us next year. Lee big favorite, 133 close, 141 advantage Murin by a bunch, 149 Eirman would be a clear favorite, 157 Sheets the favorite, 165 Marinelli the favorite although close, 174 Kemmerer big favorite, 184 Assad slight favorite, 197 Ferrari could be slight favorite over Iowa, Hwt Iowa big favorite. I think we should redshirt our top freshman and prepare for 2022. Next year possible lineup Burks at 125 unless we don't think that Mastro can make 125 after next year and if that's the case lets wrestle Mastro and then he can redshirt the next year. 133 Hopefully Daton. 141 Kaid Brock or G. 149 Boo would take this position. 157 Wyatt Sheets I hope that he continues to improve. 165 Wittlake weight and if he continues to improve he could place high. 174 I might wrestle Surber here because then he can redshirt the next and like Witcraft I don't know when he will get back in the lineup or if he will. But a year starting gives him a chance to improve more than doing Opens next year. 184 Would be Montalvo I hope we can teach him to shoot a takedown. 197 Geer should wrestle and prepare the whole off season for this weight class. HWT the Purdue transfer or Doucette for the same reason Surber could wrestle next year.
2020 lineup could be Mastro Fr, Fix Jun, Witcraft Soph, Gfeller Jun, Sheets Sen, Wittlake Jun, 174 Plott Fr., 184 Montalvo Jun, 197 Ferrari Fr, Hwt Purdue transfer if he is still eligible, Doucette or Haas if he ready? 2022 Iowa loses tremendous talent after 2021. Penn.St. will have tons of young talent but will lose a superstar at 141 Nick Lee. Cornell and Ohio St. will be pretty good also

Harley, you think Murin outscores Kaid at Nationals? I think Boo & Eierman is close, Eierman won in folk, Boo won in free. Both title contenders @ 149 next year. Montalvo is likely a high AA at 174 with the people graduating. Geer could be a finalist at 184, he outscores Assad IMO. Wittlake can win it all next year, he just needs to commit to his shots and finish strong. He convinced me of that last night. Mastro is better than Colaiocca, who is ranked around 10th as a true freshman this year. Purdue heavy is probably a R12 guy that could be a low AA. Ferrari could win a title.

IDK, I think the team race would be close.

Reactions: osu2082 and JAY45
Harley, you think Murin outscores Kaid at Nationals? I think Boo & Eierman is close, Eierman won in folk, Boo won in free. Both title contenders @ 149 next year. Montalvo is likely a high AA at 174 with the people graduating. Geer could be a finalist at 184, he outscores Assad IMO. Wittlake can win it all next year, he just needs to commit to his shots and finish strong. He convinced me of that last night. Mastro is better than Colaiocca, who is ranked around 10th as a true freshman this year. Purdue heavy is probably a R12 guy that could be a low AA. Ferrari could win a title.

IDK, I think the team race would be close.
Wrassler, you might be right, lets see how our guys do at the Conference and National Championships. Plus I think the Coaches will go with what they think is right but the Cowboys do have decisions to make that will have something to do with if and when we get 35. I sure want to beat the Big 10 teams as soon as possible. Something maybe I noticed with Wittlake was his hand fighting losing strength the last minute of the match. He battled even with Bull for 6 minutes but that last minute Marinelli pushed Wittlake's hands and arms to the right twice and shot on Wittlake's left leg. The first time Wittlake kicked out but 15 seconds later he did the exact same thing. and Marinelli won the match. Hand fighting with Marinelli finally took its toll plus Marinelli went 100% with those shots which Wittlake needs to learn to do against top challengers. However Wittlake did show he is close to being a National contender. He needs to jump 1/2 a level for Nationals.
Kaid did not show me much last year and so I think Murin would be favored. I have watched Eierman handle Boo in folkstyle although it was many years ago at that Missouri tournament. In freestyle didn't Eierman do good enough to qualify for an Olympic redshirt. I don't see the Cowboys dropping Montalvo to 174 but what do I know. I would bet that Coach Smith would want to see these freshmen in Open Tournaments before making the decision to wrestle them. Also you are right if we are right about Ferrari's talent he could be a National Champ as a freshman but his chances would be better after a redshirt.

Last edited:
Wrassler, you might be right, lets see how our guys do at the Conference and National Championships. Plus I think the Coaches will go with what they think is right but the Cowboys do have decisions to make that will have something to do with if and when we get 35. I sure want to beat the Big 10 teams as soon as possible. Something maybe I noticed with Wittlake was his hand fighting losing strength the last minute of the match. He battled even with Bull for 6 minutes but that last minute Marinelli pushed Wittlake's hands and arms to the right twice and shot on Wittlake's left leg. The first time Wittlake kicked out but 15 seconds later he did the exact same thing. and Marinelli won the match. Hand fighting with Marinelli finally took its toll plus Marinelli went 100% with those shots which Wittlake needs to learn to do against top challengers. However Wittlake did show he is close to being a National contender. He needs to jump 1/2 a level for Nationals.
Kaid did not show me much last year and so I think Murin would be favored. I have watched Eierman handle Boo in folkstyle although it was many years ago at that Missouri tournament. In freestyle didn't Eierman do good enough to qualify for an Olympic redshirt. I don't see the Cowboys dropping Montalvo to 174 but what do I know. I would bet that Coach Smith would want to see these freshmen in Open Tournaments before making the decision to wrestle them. Also you are right if we are right about Ferrari's talent he could be a National Champ as a freshman but his chances would be better after a redshirt.

Agree about Wittlake. He was hesitant against Shane Griffith also. John's right though, Wittlake is an excellent athlete and very skilled. I'm hoping he adopts Montalvo's aggressive mindset.

Eierman beat Boo at the Scuffle during Boo's redshirt freshman year. Hit him with some of that funk. Boo then beat Eierman at the U23 trials.

Boo and Eirman are very close. I thought that Boo had lost the Lugo match before he got on the mat. Congratulation to the fans of Iowa for creating that kind of environment, but now that Boo knows what to expect from the Lugo tie-ups he can wrestle his match. I do not think match is indicative of the talents of Boo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT